Red Letter Media Reviews (Plinkett & Half in the Bag)

Henry B

8 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

I enjoy the prequels.

Seriously? If so, I currently share your position. Maybe I'll start hating them like a normal person after watching them some more. But for now I don't really have a problem with them. 

When I was recovering weeks ago, I gained control of the TV one night after everyone else went to sleep and, out of nowhere, Attack of the Clones was on cable. Suddenly, it all came back to me. I realized I had every shot, every line of dialogue, every note of the score memorized in my brain. I love it, aside from the edit at the end of the lightsaber fight. They're just Saturday matinee popcorn space flicks.

29 minutes ago, Selina Kyle said:

I hate Disney for straying from Lucas' vision, removing the Fox Fanfare and still not releasing the theatrical versions of the OT or the Ewok movies.

Sadly, the OCN (original camera negative) prints of the original trilogy were apparently destroyed when Lucas spliced in all the Special Edition rubbish.

Almost as soon as they secured the brand, Disney undertook a 4K remaster of the original trilogy in the highest available quality (the Special Edition prints, so a version with all the DVD and Bluray changes discarded, as these were made only to the Lowry HD remaster circa 2003-04).

I can only assume Disney's plan is to splice together the original theatrical versions from multiple sources, using the SE prints as their starting point then replacing the SE changes with scans from a lower-quality 35mm copy.

As for the Ewok movies, I'm expecting 3D conversions by Christmas 2018.

There are other things in the SE that I fear might sneak into a new original "unaltered" trilogy restoration. They're very subtle, but once you've seen them, you can't unsee them, and I think only very few people have noticed them.

In the original films, often a static shot would remain a static shot, but an SE revision of that static shot would have a new slow zoom-in. These active zooms were all over the prequels, and Lucas developed a fetish for them that was as bad as his obnoxious dissolves. And for the sake of "consistency", he added them in places in the old films.

On 10/3/2016 at 6:31 PM, Sharkus Malarkus said:

I think he's advocating a middle ground.

Yes please. TFA has problems about interactions between the new characters. We don't see Poe and Rey interact, for example, and the trio spends a lot of the time separate. In a way, the older characters are preventing a natural development of the new ones where they are together, like in the original film.

Within this, the film doesn't dare to pair characters, and both that or the "THIS MOVIE IS VERY HETEROSEXUAL" attitude become symptoms of flawed character writing.

The vodka bit after the "crowd reaction" to Plinkett's non-politically-correct "black who doesn't want to shoot a gun" joke has been the one making me laugh really hard today. ROTFLMAO

I love how Plinkett is forced to grudgingly admit that the prequels did have a few good things about them, namely, being made not by committee with the purpose of making money but for the purpose of fulfilling the artistic vision of one man -- and the love stories (who would ever have thought he'd say anything good about this?!)

-------------

JJ's Fan Service ROTFLMAO

• 1 month later...

Just noticed this, and thought this would be a fine thread for it:

"Lyrics to a song" are often cheesy/corny/awkward when you actually think about them. 

"It's crap dialogue on purpose!" basically. Yeah, right George. Just like that monologue about sand.

Did anyone else hear the spiel about Giacchino in the latest Half in the Bag? That's the first time they've really discussed a film score in-depth, even if it was just calling out Giacchino for recycling his Star Trek theme note-for-note. I haven't heard Dr. Strange but is that true?

19 minutes ago, crumbs said:

"It's crap dialogue on purpose!" basically. Yeah, right George. Just like that monologue about sand.

I don't like sand!!

It's coarse and rough and irritating!!!

And it gets everywhere!!!!

Yeah, singing it doesn't make it any better.

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

Did anyone else hear the spiel about Giacchino in the latest Half in the Bag? That's the first time they've really discussed a film score in-depth

I remember they also had a long-ish rant about James Newton Howard's Nightcrawler score.

1 minute ago, mrbellamy said:

I remember they also had a long-ish rant about James Newton Howard's Nightcrawler score.

They also belittled his work as a composer in general.  And on top of that, they suggested that Trent Reznor (:pukeface:) should have scored the film.  On another occasion, Mike called John Barry's Black Hole "one of the worst scores of all time".  

They're pretty on-point with the films themselves but their judgement on film scores is pretty janky IMO.  

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

I haven't heard Dr. Strange but is that true?

It's certainly very similar. According to KK it's because he used the same chord progression. Also the general contour is very similar. Jilal agrees as well that they are very similar. 

Here's Trek...

And here's Strange...

49 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

They also belittled his work as a composer in general.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty unfair of them to pretend he was just some guy who'd only done bad romcoms. First of all I couldn't tell if they were entirely kidding and it's hard to make that joke with JNH anyway since it's not really the same as doing it with somebody like Williams or Zimmer.

They sound different listening to the clean audio, but the chord progressions are similar and when you layer on sound effects in the movie itself it probably blurs together.

I've only ever watched a couple of the Mr. Plinkett Star Wars reviews which I enjoyed (and of which he didn't once mention the music), but when I read that they ripped on JNH, I had to check it out.

Firstly, those two guys really aren't as educated about films as they are trying to appear. They confess to not paying attention to the music in films, which is the first warning sign for dedicated film reviewers. Then they openly insult JNH's effective score to Nightcrawler, which added such weight to the feeling of uneasiness and uncomfortability of Gyllenhaal's character. And some of the rock style anthems he wrote for the film made you get inside the head of Gyllenhaal and understand that he feels powerful with his insane and controlling actions. Great score. 

Secondly, one of them didn't even know who JNH was, and yet he reviews films for a living... And the guy who knew who he was (may have done it for comedic effect) yet I surely didn't see the comedy, when he named rom-coms and lovely cheesy comedies that JNH has done, as an example of his work and to seemingly attempt to lessen his achievements. That was just childish mockery and not comedy.

JNH fanboy rant over.

I like JNH as a composer but I could not tell you a single thing about his score in Nightcrawler, and I really enjoyed that movie (and only saw it earlier this year) and always pay close attention to the score when watching movies.

I think my problem with JNH's Nightcrawler is that it's too mellow and generic to achieve the satirical effect it's attempting. It sounds like the music you'd find under the "feel-good" category on a royally-free stock music website.  

• 5 weeks later...

NO! They said that's the final Wheel of the Worst! :(

Interesting that they seemingly admitted the wheel selections are rigged (they film every outcome and choose the 3 they want the most).

• 3 weeks later...

These aren't the full, carefully written awesome Plinkett reviews that you want to watch over and over again, but...

Spoler alert: They like it less than TFA. 

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Such a thing exists?

Indeed! (well, at least I liked it a lot)