"Star wars in Concert" - Official Thread

Didi

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then it would appear that MissPadmé is no longer the "only female member here."

Just one more former only female member. But a rare case of not becoming "former" by leaving.

I actually joined before you MissPadme :D Just I don't come here very much these days

• 2 weeks later...

The video is just like the Musical Journey DVD, it just looks a lot better. But the concert itself is what the experience was for me. Lasers and lights filling an entire stadium while hearing my favorite pieces live for the first time was incredible!

I was originally against the idea of the lights/pyrotechnics/etc. but I've warmed up to it now, seeing as everyone is saying the performances are top notch, as they should be considering the amount of time the orchestra has spent on the music! I'm thinking about purchasing tickets for one of the shows in Washington DC this summer.

Oh, I would definitely go if I had the chance, lasers or not. I just distrust the whole concept of a "visual experience". I'm there for the music, not some fancy light show, and in my experience, most other people who want to hear the music agree. Elaborate visual effects don't only distract the audience, but the orchestra, too. Mauceri thankfully put a stop to some useless projected slideshows at his Vienna concert because they kept drawing his attention away from conducting.

The concert wasn't made just for film score fans, it was made for Star Wars fans and just people that want to see something entertaining.

I'm going in June when the show comes back to Texas. Already have tickets.

Yeah, I'd probably be going too if I hadn't already gotten tickets for Raw the week before.

The concert wasn't made just for film score fans, it was made for Star Wars fans and just people that want to see something entertaining.

I'm sorry if this comes over as snobbish (well, no, I'm not that sorry in this case), but it's a concert. If Star Wars fanboys want to see a light show, they can watch the movies, or watch special light shows. But when you finally do live concerts of a considerable portion of these scores, for heaven's sake let the music stand for itself. We know it can.

The whole light show spectacle turns me off as well. Having heard enough Star Wars music, plus the program doesn't feature anything "new", I hadn't planned on attending but the Mrs. really wanted to go so I caved in. The things one does for love.

I'm sorry if this comes over as snobbish (well, no, I'm not that sorry in this case), but it's a concert. If Star Wars fanboys want to see a light show, they can watch the movies, or watch special light shows. But when you finally do live concerts of a considerable portion of these scores, for heaven's sake let the music stand for itself. We know it can.

And if John Williams fanboys want to hear uninterrupted music, they can listen to the soundtracks or watch a traditional concert...

I mean, the films have never had this sort of treatment before, with the lasers and lights and stuff. I'm sure most if not all of the music heard will have already been played in a concert setting. I'd bet that at least half the audience would be disappointed if the spectacles were cancelled for a show.

I personally agree with you, I'd rather hear the music without distractions, but I don't think we're entitled to that in any way.

The whole light show spectacle turns me off as well. Having heard enough Star Wars music, plus the program doesn't feature anything "new", I hadn't planned on attending but the Mrs. really wanted to go so I caved in. The things one does for love.

At least it's a Star Wars concert. :rolleyes:

And if John Williams fanboys want to hear uninterrupted music, they can listen to the soundtracks

Not the same...

or watch a traditional concert...

...and that's exactly what I'm asking for. :rolleyes:

I mean, the films have never had this sort of treatment before, with the lasers and lights and stuff. I'm sure most if not all of the music heard will have already been played in a concert setting.

But few people will have had the opportunity to attend. This thing is on tour, so for many people it's the first time to hear these pieces live. I've been lucky to hear the ESB suite plus Throne Room live so far, but that took me about 7 years or so and it's still only a part of what's played in this programme.

I'd bet that at least half the audience would be disappointed if the spectacles were cancelled for a show.

That's why I think instead of cancelling the light show they shouldn't have installed it in the first place.

With the LOTR "Symphony", at least the projections were unobtrusive and easily ignored. The problem there was the horrible amplification (but I assume this one's amplified as well?)

I know I'm looking forward to the LOTR suite this fall much more than I'd been to the "Symphony". Although there *will* be projections, and judging from last year's Throne Room, there's also a danger of light shows.

This effects stuff inevitably makes me wonder: Do they think we soundtrack fans care so little about the music as such that we need all these gimmicks? Or are so many of us in fact unable to enjoy the actual music without flashy effects?

I personally agree with you, I'd rather hear the music without distractions, but I don't think we're entitled to that in any way.

Of course we aren't. But that's basically the same deal as with the UE and the Sony reissues: We're not entitled to any decent release of these scores. But that (luckily) doesn't stop us from complaining if their releases are more focused on marketing hype than the music itself.

This effects stuff inevitably makes me wonder: Do they think we soundtrack fans care so little about the music as such that we need all these gimmicks? Or are so many of us in fact unable to enjoy the actual music without flashy effects?

It was most likely a simple question of numbers. They probably figured attendance would be higher with all the gimmicks...and like it or not, it probably is, even though there are plenty of folks who'd go be happy to go to a plain old concert featuring the music and nothing else. (I'm raising my hand, too.)

Exactly. In the end, there's a group of people that want the gimmicks and a group of people that want just plain music. By combining the two, they're compromising in a way that satisfies everybody, to varying extents. Maybe it's a heartless ploy for money, maybe they're honestly trying to make the greatest number of people happy, but from both perspectives it seems like the best possible option to me. Not having any gimmicks would just make a bunch of people unhappy, and a bunch of other people slightly more happy. I don't see why they should prioritize soundtrack fans over general SW fans.

The difference with this and the UE is that the former was never meant to be only a musical experience. The UE was meant to target those that only wish to experience the music.

I too would prefer a concert with just the orchestra, but I didn't find the gimmicks that distracting. It still was a very satisfying concert from a purely musical point of view.

I'm going on June 12th, I'm not overly excited about it, but this sort of thing is rare in Mexico so it's a good oportunity to go to a Star Wars concert, lasers and shit notwithstanding. There hasn't been a concert like this since Kunzel came in 2004. It should be good I think.

The whole thing is also overshadowed by the fact that McCartney is coming on May 27th and that is a much, much bigger deal for me.

• 1 month later...

Well we went last night to the 100th performance of the show. It was in Austin.

Overall it wasn't too bad, Dirk Brosse and the orchestra were fantastic. However I could have done without the light show and @#*&!!!(@$&$%%%* *$#@@#$!!%*#$*#$ DIALOGUE OVER THE MUSIC!! Plus I was nearly blinded at the end with the damn light show.

That really ruined some of the concert. But basically it was very similar to the DVD included with the ROTS score, minus some changes in cues. Anthony Daniels was terrific and had some wonderful C3PO moments.

Although I'm not a fan of UT, the highlight had to be Daniels flashing the "Hook Em Horns" sign after the concert, right before they did an encore of the Imperial March.

I will also add that I found myself more emotionally involved once the second half of the concert began with the original trilogy. The music from the prequels was performed well but there is a huge difference in the music and I could tell by the reaction of the audience they noticed as well.

Oh and for those who think women aren't into film scores and other "geeky" stuff, there were babes a plenty at the concert last night.

Glad you enjoyed it Mark. There were ads all over the place for it when we were there for Raw last week and I was kinda wishing I could have gone to.

UT = ?

Although I'm not a fan of UT, the highlight had to be Daniels flashing the "Hook Em Horns" sign after the concert, right before they did an encore of the Imperial March.

University of Texas

Though the "sign of the horns" has so many uses beyond Longhorns fans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_of_the_horns

So is Anthony Daniels actually on tour with the show? Or is he just in some pre-recorded stuff? I would've assumed pre-recorded, but the post about the longhorns makes me think otherwise. Could never find any info for sure in official press stuff. I could be totally blind, though. :lol:

We have tickets for the July 3rd show in our neck of the woods, so it'd be nifty if he was actually there.

Beat you by two minutes. ;)

I'm not a 100% sure but James Earl Jones may have lent his voice to introduce the show. Vader (voice only) opens the show by introducing Daniels.

I coud live without the lasers, but the videos ar nice. (even with the dialogue..after all we have heard that music without dialogue many times)

But really it was the best Williams experience in my life.

Unfortunately the glare from the case prevented me from getting a clear shot at the rest of the cue sheet.

There appeared to be some red markings near the bottom and some passages highlighted.

Thanks for those shots, Mark! If you happened to take any shots of the bottom half - even if they look terrible - would you mind posting them? They may still be slightly useful.

Those were the only 3 shots I took.

I tried to get more shots but there was too much glare from the lights and flash. And the metal edges of the glass case prevented me from getting a good picture of the bottom half.

I had to hold the camera over the top of the case to get those shots.

6m5 Droid Battle is the same page on display at all the areas the concert goes to. Pictures of the sheet from a different concert have already been posted here, I believe in this same thread

6m5 Droid Battle is the same page on display at all the areas the concert goes to. Pictures of the sheet from a different concert have already been posted here, I believe in this same thread

I took a couple of photos when it was premiered in London but they cover much the same area of the manuscript as Mark's photos. The one I took of the manuscript as a whole is not close enough to show any discernible musical detail, but here it is for what it's worth:

DSC00080.jpg

John Williams fans would make rotten spies!

The member who posts here as Donald Duck provided a link on page 2 or 3.

http://www.lairedantony.over-blog.com/article-star-wars-en-concert-a-bercy-17-mars-2010-l-expo-46948648.html

There are more pictures of the score sheet on his webpage.

I know, I already had seen one photo of it, but just the one. Thanks for the links and photos and whatnot, all - I really appreciate it. ROTFLMAO

Also, I must admit that it REALLY annoys me how site after site refers to the exhibit as featuring "pages from John Williams' original hand-written sheet music." They're pages from John Neufeld's original handwritten sheet music, which is a fully orchestrated copy of John Williams' original handwritten sketches. It's a minor quibble, yes, but as far as that part of the exhibit is concerned, one of the few draws for most people would be the fact that they're supposedly seeing something the composer himself penned and touched. And that's simply not the case.

Does anyone know if there are going to be any other tour dates after the ones listed on the official site? I would assume not, but it'd be cool if they came through California again at some point (besides the one Fresno showing). I'd like to see this.