What is your true allegiance?

King Mark

Why did you start posting on this board?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What movie franchise or reason drew you to this MB?

• I am equally interested in all (or most of) the franchises and movies John Williams scored
    • I am mostly a Star Wars fan in general.
    • I am mostly a Harry Potter fan in general.
    • The Indiana Jones franchise
    • The Jurassic Park movies
    • Lord of the Rings. I like to point how how Howard Shore scores are superior to anything Williams wrote every chance I get.
    • I 'm primarily a Michael Giacchino fan but I have nowhere else to post
    • Jaws movies
    • Home Alone movies
    • I'm not more of a fan of John Williams than other composers but I don't like the FSM board
    • Other
    • I like John Williams only slightly better than other composers
    • I used to be fan of every JW soundtrack ... untill around the time Jurassic Park came out
    • I thought this was a Star Trek message board

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hit the SW option, despite the fact that I despise theforce.net and haven't visited there in years. I came here looking for proper versions of the prequels and never looked back.

I hit the SW option, despite the fact that I despise theforce.net and haven't visited there in years. I came here looking for proper versions of the prequels and never looked back.

Yeah,your right. I correct the poll a bit

I would vote for "I am a film music/film fan in general with very special place for JW in there". So I choose "other".

Karol

I added a better option for you if you can change your vote. Other is for people who are here for totally unrelated reasons

Alright then. :thumbup: But I wouldn't say I like JW only "slightly" better. He's much better. But there is still plenty to discover from others.

Karol

Alright then. :thumbup: But I wouldn't say I like JW only "slightly" better. He's much better. But there is still plenty to discover from others.

Karol

Yeah but it's to clearly distinguish from option 1

The first option comes closest to the reason why I joined this board. The main difference being that it wasn't franchise specific, but rather Williams pre-noughties music in general. I love pretty much everything up to and including The Phantom Menace.

The usage of the word 'allegiance' in KM's title is rather telling of his real motivations here though - we all know how hurt and defensive he gets when he thinks JW isn't getting the love here he thinks he deserves, indeed - his snide LotR option further confirms it.

Yes,I had to add a few cynical options in there .But I bet some will vote for them. But regardless of my motivations it will give a good cross section of the MB

I'm not sure how to vote here. I'm definitely not equally interested in all Williams scores, but there isn't a single franchise or film that I can definitively say is my reason for being here. (Star Wars is what started the whole thing for me, but I couldn't have become a real fan of John Williams if he hadn't written so many other good scores.) Although I certainly enjoy and discuss some other composers' work, I can't really vote for them, either...Williams is and always will be #1 for me.

Where's the "I'm a John Williams fan" option?

I just hold onto the gold locket around my neck for a moment and whisper a few words of tribute to the man - for inside the locket there is a small round picture of him.

What is your true allegiance?

Mercenary. Will side with any composer and just as swiftly betray a previous one, depending on the money offfered. ;)

No, not really.

I can't really remember 'why' I came here originally, apart from a general place to discuss JW.

Well... what should I vote:

I joined the forums looking for Jurassic Park III and AI promos.

At that time i was a fervent Star Wars Fan. (all Williams cds i had were the SW: OT SE, JP trilogy , last crusade, AI and one 'film works' cd)

And definately now, i am an avid Williams completist collector, while my star wars 'zealotsy' has receded alot (F**k you Lucas for butchering the prequel scores!).

And my love for John Williams started with Jurassic Park.

Well, I come here to talk about soundtracks and movies in general, not just John Williams. However, it would not be accurate to say that "I'm not more of a fan of John Williams than other composers." Nor would it be true that "I like John Williams only slightly better than other composers." I am by far a bigger fan of John Williams than anyone else; that's just not why I come here.

Franchises have nothing to do with it; in fact, I've seen most Williams franchises because I was a John Williams fan before that.

John Williams is one of my few top-favourite composers, but not my exclusive favourite. So even though I like him much better than most other composers, I had to go with "I'm not more of a fan of John Williams than other composers but I don't like the FSM board". Which I guess describes my heretic allegiance best...

I got another great option: "It was Star Wars that pulled me in and it was Star Wars that pulled me back out again!"

Get it?

Alex

Where is the option for Hans Zimmer? ;)

Seriously, I am mostly a John Williams fan (and maybe Jerry Goldsmith fan), but I am not a film music fan in general.

I see who scored it and if it isn't John Williams (or Jerry Goldsmith) I really don't care that much, even if it is James Horner or Howard Shore or whoever.

I can't vote.

There is no option for "John Williams has always been my favorite composer and I'm a fan of film music, the movies don't matter."

Well if we're talking about the reasons for originally joining the board, it was all about Star Wars. Things have changed since then, I'm quickly becoming one of those heretics that enjoys other composers just as much as Williams and gets more excited about a new Giacchino score than a new Williams score.

If John Williams dies, will he still be your favorite living composer?

Tough to say.

Probably someone completely new. If no one from the living composers is up there at the moment then... they will probably stay where they are now.

Karol

John Williams is my favorite composer and that's the reason I joined the forum, but I've grown to love other composers as well as music outside of film music. As far as franchises go, Star Wars was always number one but I appreciate them all (especially Indiana Jones).

If he's the best we've got to look forward to then film music of the near future is a grim prospect.

On the contrary, if more where like him. Not copying his style, but actually using an orchestra and not covering it with generic choir, synths, music that could be and is used in every TV commercial and lame power anthems, film music would be in great shape.

I've been a John Williams fan longer than most on here have been alive, so my allegiance is to John. I used to be a film score fan but with the dismal scores of most composers I've lost interest. With film score composing in the hands of zimmer and giacchino I just am losing interest. Oh I like Horner and JNH, and I do like one giacchino score, but that's hardly enough to make me feel good for the future of film music.

If he's the best we've got to look forward to then film music of the near future is a grim prospect.

On the contrary, if more where like him. Not copying his style, but actually using an orchestra and not covering it with generic choir, synths, music that could be and is used in every TV commercial and lame power anthems, film music would be in great shape.

+1