What is your true allegiance?

King Mark

Why did you start posting on this board?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What movie franchise or reason drew you to this MB?

• I am equally interested in all (or most of) the franchises and movies John Williams scored
    • I am mostly a Star Wars fan in general.
    • I am mostly a Harry Potter fan in general.
    • The Indiana Jones franchise
    • The Jurassic Park movies
    • Lord of the Rings. I like to point how how Howard Shore scores are superior to anything Williams wrote every chance I get.
    • I 'm primarily a Michael Giacchino fan but I have nowhere else to post
    • Jaws movies
    • Home Alone movies
    • I'm not more of a fan of John Williams than other composers but I don't like the FSM board
    • Other
    • I like John Williams only slightly better than other composers
    • I used to be fan of every JW soundtrack ... untill around the time Jurassic Park came out
    • I thought this was a Star Trek message board

John Williams is my favorite composer and that's the reason I joined the forum, but I've grown to love other composers as well as music outside of film music. As far as franchises go, Star Wars was always number one but I appreciate them all (especially Indiana Jones).

What he said.

(Need to work on that "as well as music outside of film music" part.)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's the best we've got to look forward to then film music of the near future is a grim prospect.

On the contrary, if more where like him.

Yes, but the trouble Is... there aren't many like him. Not nearly enough, anyway. Sensibilities are swiftly changing, and the old traditions are being overun. It's a shit situation.

I want my child to to have the musical experiences (through film) that I had, but I cannot see it happening.

I voted "Other."

I came to this board to get some quotes of JWFans talking about how much they would enjoy a release of Family Plot. That was back in the day when I thought that rather than being unable to release Family Plot, labels just didn't think it would be profitable. After that I became hooked - I started my run with a bunch of basic polls (favorite JW March, favorite JW love theme, favorite Indy score, etc.). After 4 or 5 I understood how hated useless polls are on this site, so I cooled down a bit, studied the JWFan behavior, and I feel that I now fit in nicely enough.

I'm not sure how to vote here. I'm definitely not equally interested in all Williams scores, but there isn't a single franchise or film that I can definitively say is my reason for being here. (Star Wars is what started the whole thing for me, but I couldn't have become a real fan of John Williams if he hadn't written so many other good scores.) Although I certainly enjoy and discuss some other composers' work, I can't really vote for them, either...Williams is and always will be #1 for me.

Where's the "I'm a John Williams fan" option?

Data, your post is like a thought bubble from my head when I was first reading the poll. Except substitute, "Jurassic Park" for "Star Wars." It just happens that Jurassic Park was the first John Williams score I stumbled upon, mostly because that movie came out when I was the right age to care about movies or music. Star Wars followed very closely, then Indiana Jones, all before I hit high school. By that time I was a John Williams fan. I grew to love lots of JWs other music, including Harry Potter (I'm actually more of a HP fan than a JW fan, but it's close - and more for the books than for the music). I like individual works by other composers, but I would never be drawn to a score simply because it was written by a particular composer, other than John Williams.

So I voted for Jurassic Park, because I wouldn't be here without it (though I wouldn't say "The Jurassic Park films," just the first one.)

If by "blind buy" you mean purchase without listening to samples or anything...I never blind buy anything. Most of what I buy comes from films I've seen, with some others thrown in if I normally enjoy the composer's work, if that particular score gets high marks, and if I like the samples. I've done that pretty equally with Williams and with other composers.

Where's the option "I used to be fan of every JW soundtrack ... until Jurassic Park came out"?

Interesting, Alex. What happened when "J.P." came out to change your mind?

"I answer only to the president!"

"And he will answer to me!".

You are all missing the point: J.W. is not the greatest film composer, either living, nor dead. That position belongs to Bernard Herrmann, because (like Mozart, and The Beatles before him), everything that film composers did, he did first. I find that I can't vote on this, because I do not want to put the value of one composer's music above another. J.W. is my favourite composer, but he is not "the best" (whatever that means). I have reached a point in my life where I no longer wish to participate in outmoded, petty, "fueds" surrounding such empemera as music, but I do wish to discuss them in a mature environment, such as J.W. fan. Clasic F.M. has a yearly poll on the "nations favourite film music", and it is topped by either LOTR, or POTA. Radio 3 has the same, but it is critics that vote. Their top score? "Citizen Kane". It just goes to show...

Where's the option "I used to be fan of every JW soundtrack ... until Jurassic Park came out"?

Interesting, Alex. What happened when "J.P." came out to change your mind?

"I answer only to the president!"

"And he will answer to me!".

You are all missing the point: J.W. is not the greatest film composer, either living, nor dead. That position belongs to Bernard Herrmann, because (like Mozart, and The Beatles before him), everything that film composers did, he did first. I find that I can't vote on this, because I do not want to put the value of one composer's music above another. J.W. is my favourite composer, but he is not "the best" (whatever that means). I have reached a point in my life where I no longer wish to participate in outmoded, petty, "fueds" surrounding such empemera as music, but I do wish to discuss them in a mature environment, such as J.W. fan. Clasic F.M. has a yearly poll on the "nations favourite film music", and it is topped by either LOTR, or POTC. Radio 3 has the same, but it is critics that vote. Their top score? "Citizen Kane". It just goes to show...

That position belongs to Bernard Herrmann,

And who are you to say? Has this been indisputably proven? His film music taken as pure music outside of the films is terribly lacking. I can't stand listening to anything he did .

I hit the SW option, despite the fact that I despise theforce.net and haven't visited there in years. I came here looking for proper versions of the prequels and never looked back.

I posted there years ago, too. Their community forums are a joke. Back when I was "young and naive", I would have expected SW fans to be a relatively intelligent lot, but I was surprised to find that the hundreds of them who conjugated at TFN to be cliquey and attention seekers, along with their administrators being uptight and squeamish.

And who are you to say? Has this been indisputably proven? His film music taken as pure music outside of the films is terribly lacking. I can't stand listening to anything he did .

All soundtrack albums are irrelevant; nice to listen to, but irrelevant. Film music exists to support the film that it accompanies, and, in this respect, Bernard Herrmann set the template for what was to come. In the same way that, although The Beatles are far from being my favourite band, their position as the greatest rock band is beyond discussion. So it is with Herrmann: he did it first. Who cares if someone else comes along and sells 10 million copies of one score c.d., while he managed barely one tenth of that number? The man's influence is heard in almost all scores, to this day, and that ,IMO, makes him the greatest.

The Beatles are far from being my favourite band, their position as the greatest rock band is beyond discussion.

Don't be ridiculous, I'm sure some would argue The Rolling Stones are 'greater', or The Kinks, or Pink Floyd... - it's all subjective. The same goes for JW vs BH.

Lee - who does think that The Beatles are the 2nd greatest band of all time, after Queen.

You are all missing the point: J.W. is not the greatest film composer, either living, nor dead. That position belongs to Bernard Herrmann, because (like Mozart, and The Beatles before him), everything that film composers did, he did first.

This is nonlinear time, right?

Bernard Herrmann begins his career as a staff conductor in 1934. I can't find evidence of a score he composed, as opposed to merely conducting, arranging, or selecting, before 1941's Citizen Kane.

Max Steiner starts composing in 1929, while Herrmann is only 18. King Kong comes out in 1933, while Herrmann is still dreaming about his first big break.

So what did Herrmann do first?

You are all missing the point: J.W. is not the greatest film composer, either living, nor dead. That position belongs to Bernard Herrmann, because (like Mozart, and The Beatles before him), everything that film composers did, he did first.

This is nonlinear time, right?

Bernard Herrmann begins his career as a staff conductor in 1934. I can't find evidence of a score he composed, as opposed to merely conducting, arranging, or selecting, before 1941's Citizen Kane.

Max Steiner starts composing in 1929, while Herrmann is only 18. King Kong comes out in 1933, while Herrmann is still dreaming about his first big break.

So what did Herrmann do first?

Good point, but I still maintain that Herrmann's influence reaches forward in time far more than, say, Steiner's.

Well that's your loss and your opinion.

Bernard Herrmann has proven himself in the public eye.

Richard is entitled to his opinion, much like you are. Bernard Herrmann is in my top 4 of composers.

I think option 1 is that you would blind buy any John Williams release but not other composers.

I buy all my favorite composers blind.

Good point, but I still maintain that Herrmann's influence reaches forward in time far more than, say, Steiner's.

I was just nitpicking your comment. Influence is different than a chronological first.

Just like The Beatles were probably the most influential rock band ever. Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Elvis, and even The Beach Boys all came first, but The Beatles made the genre a media phenomenon and made it accessible to everyone.

I think option 1 is that you would blind buy any John Williams release but not other composers.

No, because you phrased option 1 as "all (or most of)," not "any." There are many John Williams releases that I have not bought and probably won't.

There should be an option: John Williams is my favorite composer but I do enjoy the works of many other composers.

The Beatles are far from being my favourite band, their position as the greatest rock band is beyond discussion.

Don't be ridiculous, I'm sure some would argue The Rolling Stones are 'greater', or The Kinks, or Pink Floyd... - it's all subjective. The same goes for JW vs BH.

Lee - who does think that The Beatles are the 2nd greatest band of all time, after Queen.

This is rumour control; here are the facts. "The Rolling Stones" is a 12-bar blues band; always has been, and always will be. The KInks, is a cut-price, kitchen sink version of The Beatles, too quaint to be "great", but not without merit. Although having an abundance of talent, Pink Floyd is a fat, bloated carcas of a band, existing on its own hype. Queen? Ah, well. It may only be my (very close) second favoutite band, but it did produce Bohemian Rhapsody, which, after Good Vibrations, and I Am The Walrus, is the 3rd. greatest rock single EVER. So your friend Lee is right - from a certain point of view. Hope this clears things up! :)

There should be an option: John Williams is my favorite composer but I do enjoy the works of many other composers.

Good one. I would have voted that.

Clasic F.M. has a yearly poll on the "nations favourite film music", and it is topped by either LOTR, or POTC. Radio 3 has the same, but it is critics that vote. Their top score? "Citizen Kane". It just goes to show...

...that critic's opinions are more worthy than non-critics?

KM, i have not voted*. I dont know what option should i check.

I would 1st option but in it not entirely true....

*And I want to vote, i want to show my true allegiance to the one and only!

Herrmann can be an aural assault for the faint hearted. Sometimes it feels good to leave your comfort zone and explore music that might not necessarily be "pleasant", but worthwhile for the experience.

My iPod would be a very unhappy place if it didn't include as much music from each of those three artists that it could.

<checks>

DAMNIT!!!!! I don't have any Stones OR Beatles right now on my iPod. WTF!!!!!!

I was always the weird kid that listened to Williams and was programming the portable CD player for chronological order. But it's part of what makes me unique. I don't care for the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin or the Beatles, to be honest. It's just not what I like to listen to. To each their own.

But it's part of what makes me unique. I don't care for the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin or the Beatles, to be honest. It's just not what I like to listen to. To each their own.

That's not unique, that's narrow-minded.

Katy Perry > Lady Gaga

KatyPerry1.jpg

Mmmm.

Alex

It's rather silly to compare John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith to Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones and The Beatles.

The latter have written nothing that compares to the finest that have come from John and Jerry. And J & J have composed nothing that compares to the finest from the said groups above.

Led Zeppelin > The Stones > The Beatles

Led Zeppelin > Pink Floyd > The Beatles > The Rolling Stones

And where does The Who fit into all this?

DAMN GOOD POINT! IMO, The Who is the only band in rock music with anything to say, so, I guess that they stand apart from other bands. O.k., so, they could indulge in a bit of navel-gazing ("Music Must Change"/"Who Are You"), but at a time when bands were either having an apocalypse (in 9/8, of course), or banging on about mountains that "come out of the sky, and...stand there") they thought about issues and seemed to care not only about what was said, but also how, and why, it was said. I know that these couple of lines do not nearly sum up The Who's contribution to rock music, but I hope that readers, at least, get an idea of both how much I like The Who, and of what I'm trying to say.

As much as I love Zeppelin, I don't think even they had an album as strong as "Who's Next." Not even "Zoso."

Once one seperates the hype from the music, "Led Zep. 4" is a very good record. I do prefer side 2, to side 1, although even "Stairway To Heaven" can only fall to its knees, and cover its eyes in shame, at the altar of "Kashmir".

One can only salivate at the thought of a fully-formed "Lifehouse" project.

Led Zeppelin > Pink Floyd > The Beatles > The Rolling Stones > The Who

;)

For the record, I love The Who.

As much as I love Zeppelin, I don't think even they had an album as strong as "Who's Next." Not even "Zoso."

Led Zeppelin IV, while being pretty damn good, is overrated. Houses Of The Holy takes the cake for best Zeppelin album IMO. Hell, I even prefer II and III over IV. I guess it's because I spent so long listening to just Early Days and Latter Days, that when I got their complete discography, I loved everything else more.

To put it bluntly, my allegiance is simply to great music.

John Williams has made some fantastic music, as have Jerry Goldsmith and other composers.

I'm here to discuss both Williams and non-williams scores.

These boards are a community of film music collectors, afficionados and fans. Even with the John Williams focus, other work and composers are also of great interest to us all.

My allegiance is to no one.

I like at least some material from lots of different composers (roughly 150 at the moment) and I'll listen to basically anything if it's good - I don't give a crap whether it's written by Williams, Zimmer or some unknown.

So yeah, I'm here to discuss anything and anyone score related.