In extreme appreciation Ben's Death and Attack of the Tie Fighers

JoeinAR

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite bit is the rarely reproduced build up, heard as Han and Luke get into their gunner positions, it's such a great tension builder; whilst somehow still managing to sound magical.

The actual Tie Fighter attack music is probably an icon by now, but amazing that it is; I've grown a bit weary. Particulary the original score recording, with its trademark ugly brass. I tend to prefer other recordings of it; which sadly lack the brilliant music which comes before.

Perfect setpiece film scoring. I always liked that Ben's actual death was scored with Leia's theme, simply because it felt more emotional. I like that there wasn't strict rules of leitmotif for designated characters (another reason I think "Luke's Theme" and the "Rebel Fanfare" should have been used more in the prequels). But yeah, I can remember watching the Super 8 film excerpts of Star Wars on a home movie projector, and this was one of the scenes on the highlight reel. Fantastic piece of music that a 5 year old kid can remember and then sing at the top of his lungs, zooming around the house with his toy spaceships.

I always liked that Ben's actual death was scored with Leia's theme, simply because it felt more emotional.

Maybe it was a trade-off. The final scene of the movie, the one where Princess Leia gets dolled up for the awards ceremony, was scored using the most slam-blast arrangement of Ben's Theme in the whole movie, and has rarely been topped since. Leia's Theme would have been too tame here, and it would have felt odd to use the Main Theme since it would be repeated as the credits rolled, so JW used a brief prologue of Ben's Theme to preface his death scored to Leia's Theme. It is what it is, and it's perfect.

Attack of the Tie Fighters is a great action piece which gives the Rebel fanfare a chance to shine, as almost a prelude to the "big fight," and is a piece I never get tired of hearing repeated in endless video game action sequences made since.

My favourite bit is the rarely reproduced build up, heard as Han and Luke get into their gunner positions, it's such a great tension builder; whilst somehow still managing to sound magical.

I love that introduction too!

But yeah, I can remember watching the Super 8 film excerpts of Star Wars on a home movie projector, and this was one of the scenes on the highlight reel. Fantastic piece of music that a 5 year old kid can remember and then sing at the top of his lungs, zooming around the house with his toy spaceships.

My own childhood experience as well :sleepy: I still have those Super 8 reels.

This piece of music is so iconic that I laughed out loud when I saw this scene:

It was always my favorite companion piece of music when I was to have a test. I'd listen to this piece before taking the test and would be exhilerated and pumped up because of it.

Thanks for showing this piece some proper love.

That is my favourite part as well.

Concert version is great too. :sleepy:

Karol

Not only top 5 action cues, but top 5 pieces of music to drive to, EVER! Bombing down the road to that is second to The Desert Chase.

It's also a very good piece to get someone into John Williams. I'm of the mindset that everyone appreciates his music, but to take someone a step deeper in the fandom, this track is a door opener.

Dang, I gotta listen to this again. It's been a while since I've heard any music from Star Wars, and this has reminded me just how masterful some of it is.

The actual Tie Fighter attack music is probably an icon by now, but amazing that it is; I've grown a bit weary. Particulary the original score recording, with its trademark ugly brass. I tend to prefer other recordings of it; which sadly lack the brilliant music which comes before.

Seconded!

Karol

There's a concert version?!

I find it interesting that Williams also chose to change the ending, as if to remove the death star motif from the suite, when that motif still appears in The Little People.

I've always had a hard time listening to the LSO's brass on the original cue. My favourite version is Gerhardt's.

Exactly. The action music is quite good, but the poor quality of the recording is unfortunate. (I actually like the sound of most of this score, but not for that cue.) And all the stuff leading up to it is really good.

Karol

There's a concert version?!

Here They Come!

Karol

I've always had a hard time listening to the LSO's brass on the original cue. My favourite version is Gerhardt's.

Really? For me it's quite the opposite: I deeply love the raw, guttural intensity of the LSO (especially the brass section, but the percussion as well) in this particular cue. While it's far from being perfect, there's an intensity I never found again in any re-recording or performance of this piece. It's a "live" performance and I love it also for his imperfections.

And speaking about the piece, I always thought it's almost jazz-y in its deep structure. The rhythmic contour and the use of certain chords seem to harken back to Johnny's jazz soul. It would be awesome if someone would have the creativity to write a jazz arrangement of this cue!

And speaking about the piece, I always thought it's almost jazz-y in its deep structure. The rhythmic contour and the use of certain chords seem to harken back to Johnny's jazz soul. It would be awesome if someone would have the creativity to write a jazz arrangement of this cue!

Track 5 - http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Cocktails-Cantina-Orchestra/dp/B00000I7VZ

Still has. And the brass is fine in the score, except for TIE Fighter Attack. The horns just sound horrible. Gerhardt's recording comes closest in tempo and intensity to the original while being much better on the ears (and chances are that he had several of the same players in his group).

Hmm probably agree about the horns in that cue,not listened to tie attack in a while thou,don`t have gerhardt version ,but have heard it a while back,still superb action cue or what .

I deeply love the raw, guttural intensity of the LSO (especially the brass section, but the percussion as well) in this particular cue. While it's far from being perfect, there's an intensity I never found again in any re-recording or performance of this piece. It's a "live" performance and I love it also for his imperfections.

LSO recordings from this time period definitely have an intensity and an energy that you almost never hear in film score recordings, or even orchestral recordings in general. I usually love that quality...I mean, even if I'm used to hearing clean, perfect re-recordings of the pieces, once I hear the original, I quickly get hooked. But this cue we're talking about has always been the exception for me, at least in certain parts. The snare drum (field drum?) sounds weird, the horns sounds weird (especially when the woodwinds start doubling them in octaves), it's just not that pretty a sound. Again, though, it's just this one cue for me. Otherwise, I can't get enough of that raw LSO sound.

I deeply love the raw, guttural intensity of the LSO (especially the brass section, but the percussion as well) in this particular cue. While it's far from being perfect, there's an intensity I never found again in any re-recording or performance of this piece. It's a "live" performance and I love it also for his imperfections.

LSO recordings from this time period definitely have an intensity and an energy that you almost never hear in film score recordings, or even orchestral recordings in general. I usually love that quality...I mean, even if I'm used to hearing clean, perfect re-recordings of the pieces, once I hear the original, I quickly get hooked. But this cue we're talking about has always been the exception for me, at least in certain parts. The snare drum (field drum?) sounds weird, the horns sounds weird (especially when the woodwinds start doubling them in octaves), it's just not that pretty a sound. Again, though, it's just this one cue for me. Otherwise, I can't get enough of that raw LSO sound.

yes you`re right about those points,i think the lso`s performance got better in empire and jedi. I do love there like that orchestra partic that superb brass

When I first bought the SW OST, this was far and away my favorite cue. I played it over and over. In fact, it's the first piece of film music I can ever recall getting attached to. Truly magnificent, and, in terms of its placement in the film, tonally perfect. It weaves together the tragedy of Bens' Death, Luke's shocked surprise, his reaction, and the events that followed, perfectly. The piece truly tells the story.

all this foolish talk about the brass is confounding. The original recordings of Star Wars are and always will be the best.

People aren't complaining about the overall sound of the entire score, the overall sound of just this cue, or the brass throughout the whole score. They are talking specifically about just the brass in just this one cue. If you give it a detailed listen, and then listen to say the Gerhardt performance immediately afterward, you will probably hear a difference

People aren't complaining about the overall sound of the entire score, the overall sound of just this cue, or the brass throughout the whole score. They are talking specifically about just the brass in just this one cue. If you give it a detailed listen, and then listen to say the Gerhardt performance immediately afterward, you will probably hear a difference

I've actually listened to both the other day (not that I haven't heard them countless times) and I prefer the LSO. The brass is, how shall I say, cleaner and brighter on the NPO, but it has more depth, intensity and raw power on the LSO (like Maurizio said).

But I've heard people rag on the LSO brass and sound for the whole score before, and I don't agree with it.

BTW, I'm just now listening to this cue (or couple of cues), and it really is great. I always love it, like the rest of this amazing score, but I don't always give it enough credit.

Also, let me be really specific - the only part I really have a problem with is where the horns come in at 2:24. The horns and the woodwinds and the snare drum just sound weird.

I've actually listened to both the other day (not that I haven't heard them countless times) and I prefer the LSO. The brass is, how shall I say, cleaner and brighter on the NPO, but it has more depth, intensity and raw power on the LSO (like Maurizio said).

But I've heard people rag on the LSO brass and sound for the whole score before, and I don't agree with it.

I've always thought parts of the Raiders score suffered from the same thing.

Exactly. The action music is quite good, but the poor quality of the recording is unfortunate. (I actually like the sound of most of this score, but not for that cue.) And all the stuff leading up to it is really good.

It's really the horns more than anything that failed to live up to expectations on that cue. The trumpets are all right, albeit mixed a little bright for my taste. The trombones and tuba perform fine. But the horns, especially on those soli triplet runs, verge on downright bad. Lots of cracked and missed notes. Not sure what was up them that day (especially considering the generally fine performance in the rest of the score), or why Williams didn't re-record the cue given the many mistakes in the one we've been left with.

Neither do I. For example, I personally think the Main Title on the original Star Wars soundtrack is the best performance of the piece of all six films. The power of those trumpets belting out that opening fanfare and then hitting those double C's in the main theme gives me chills every time. There's a power and intensity to it that is missing from the versions in the later films. Some of that may be due to how the recording was mixed and not how the orchestra performed it, but it's a distinctive difference nevertheless.