Star Wars in 3D starting 2012 (Update: AOTC and ROTS cancelled)

ST-321

You're right! I remember that too from around the same time. Also at the time, I acquired an old Marvel Star Wars comic with a cover that had a giant Vader playing chess with the Rebels. I was slightly disappointed when no such chess game took place in the comic.

I'd see Star Wars and Empire for sure, Jedi probably. Not sure about the rest. Don't think I could sit through the prequels. I've had about all I can take of Jar Jar and that robot with the bad cough.

I don't mind films actually shot in 3D being shown that way - Avatar, Resident Evil 4, Final Destination 4, Journey To The Center Of The Earth, etc

But I hate when they convert a film shot in 2D to 3D - Alice In Wonderland, Clash Of The Titans, The Last Airbender, Piranha 3-D, Voyage Of The Dawn-Treader, etc.

I saw "Alice In Wonderland" in 3D (big mistake!), and the print kept jumping from 3D, to 2D.

So the way I read it Star Wars arrives in 3D at the cinemas in 2015.

Duh.

Yeah, some comments by certain members on Star Wars become (sadly) quite predictable...

Duh.

Yeah, some comments by certain members on Star Wars become (sadly) quite predictable...

How is my comment negative. The way I read it Star Wars hits the theatres in 2015. TPM is 2012, aotc in 2013, rots in 2014, Star Wars in 2015. It's the one I want to see most. I'll even see ESB in 3d in 2016.

And all of you think I'm quick to judge.

I agree, I didn't detect any negativity. It's like the prequels are so bad people have to neurotically defend them and attack any critic even when nobody is saying anything derogatory about them.

And the one-a-year schedule is ridiculous. I'm not that interested in watching them with those goofy Muppet Vision glasses and by the time they do come out years from now, I probably won't be interested at all.

I agree, I didn't detect any negativity. It's like the prequels are so bad people have to neurotically defend them and attack any critic even when nobody is saying anything derogatory about them.

And the one-a-year schedule is ridiculous. I'm not that interested in watching them with those goofy Muppet Vision glasses and by the time they do come out years from now, I probably won't be interested at all.

APARRENTLY the reason for the one-a-year schedule is because it takes about a year to convert to 3D heres hoping that while they 3D-etize the OT that they restore the OUT and convert that to 3D

The reason for the year apart is purely $$$$.

Lucas can do 3D versions of these films and have them all done by '12.

As much as I give Lucas hell it only makes good business sense to space the films out. A year might be too much but it will give each film it's own chance at bat to grab new fans.

It would have been nice if he had gone back to his Special Edition tactic from 1997, and released six movies over a six month period. That's unrealistic since it would include one good season of film going and one bad season.

He's taking his cue from how New Line presented The Lord of the Rings movies, which honestly did take the extra time to finish things.

He also realizes that Avatar's success came from the 3D gimmick: a wonderful world realized in 3D. He wants people to appreciate that, and for them to return to one of the greatest fanciful big-screen worlds (galaxies?) of all time.

The longer he milks the cash cow, the more anticipation he builds up for the people who want to see the "good" ones released, who might feel compelled to see one or two prequels because they can't stand the wait any longer.

The reason for the year apart is purely $$.

Lucas can do 3D versions of these films and have them all done by '12.

Someone's never tried to convert a 2D film into a 3D film.

...and yes, I'm referring to myself, but I still know how complex a process it is. :) You basically have to reconstruct the entire film from scratch in the computer, frame by frame, creating geometry that VERY closely matches what you see on the screen. Then the computer has to construct a view of the film from another virtual eye, which means a whole lot more work from both you and the computer. Then there are challenges like lens flares...and primitive visual effects shots that don't quite correspond to any real geometry...so in short, this isn't something where you press the 3D-ify Movie Now button and it gives you a complete stereoscopic film after a few minutes.

Duh.

How is my comment negative. The way I read it Star Wars hits the theatres in 2015. TPM is 2012, aotc in 2013, rots in 2014, Star Wars in 2015. It's the one I want to see most. I'll even see ESB in 3d in 2016.

Didn't say it was negative. Said it was predictable. When I read the first post in this thread I already knew that you would post something like "So Star Wars will be released in 2015". :o

I'm no prequel lover myself, but the truth is the opposite. It's the prequel defenders who are constantly being neurotically bashed and attacked by those who can't stand them. :o

The longer he milks the cash cow, the more anticipation he builds up for the people who want to see the "good" ones released, who might feel compelled to see one or two prequels because they can't stand the wait any longer.

The next step is a Star Wars reboot/remake. You can count your money that we'll see it likely in the next 10-15 years.

The next step is a Star Wars reboot/remake. You can count your money that we'll see it likely in the next 10-15 years.

I'll bet £1m that it (like many things) won't happen until Lucas dies. He may repackage to infinity (and beyond), but I don't see him rebooting or remaking it.

The thing is, again this has people doing the whole "Luca$" thing again, when it's pretty obvious that the demand for this was there the moment 3-D hit the mainstream (one of the big rumours that everyone got excited about when 3-D was being developed was SW (and LOTR) in 3-D, after both GL and PJ both produced examples of converted parts of the films. We love to think that everybody hates TPM, but I don't think that's really the case, the same way we like to think everybody hates 3-D and it'll die soon, but I don't think that's the case either. I think 3-D is hamstrung by increased prices and a lack of actual good material, but if people can actually have the things they love in 3-D, it may change things.

I disagree Charlie - I do think everybody hates TPM. Well, apart from ten year olds and fanboys, but they don't matter.

The ounce of love TPM does get from everyone else, even from me, stems from it merely being not as bad as AotC. That movie actually makes TPM seem quite good.

I disagree Charlie - I do think everybody hates TPM. Well, apart from ten year olds and fanboys, but they don't matter.

See, that's the thing, whether it was facetious or not, we were all children when we first experienced SW. Back then, ROTJ was the greatest thing in the known universe. TPM would have blown our minds further. We go to great lengths when GL announces his latest version of the trilogy, to state that he can get fucked because Star Wars is ours, but it works both ways. It's absolutely imperative that we state how much of a prick he is for making Greedo shoot first, and on the same level, that we make sure that no one, absolutely anywhere, enjoys the prequels under pain of death.

Star Wars is ours. But it's ours from when we kids, it's our childhood, it's our memories. But it's entirely possible - and probable - that there are a bunch of kids out there who feel the same with the prequels.

I see your point, but I do not for an instant believe the same will be true of the prequels generation. The prequels will fade away; not become beloved, as the OT did.

Children grow into adults, and adults (most of them) can distinguish the differences between quality and novelty. The prequels are just badly made movies.

Lets hope then that GL starts not using 'Prequel trilogy' 'original trilogy' and just saga.

So if you want the OT, you have to stick with the whole thing. Easy way to make the prequels last forever :o

Duh.

Didn't say it was negative. Said it was predictable. When I read the first post in this thread I already knew that you would post something like "So Star Wars will be released in 2015". ROTFLMAO

I'm no prequel lover myself, but the truth is the opposite. It's the prequel defenders who are constantly being neurotically bashed and attacked by those who can't stand them. ;)

You said it as dig towards me, your students might be stupid enough to fall for your semantics games but don't try it here.

And since you're so clairvoyant why not pick the winning lottery numbers here in the states and I'll split them with you.

Duh.

Didn't say it was negative. Said it was predictable. When I read the first post in this thread I already knew that you would post something like "So Star Wars will be released in 2015". ROTFLMAO

I'm no prequel lover myself, but the truth is the opposite. It's the prequel defenders who are constantly being neurotically bashed and attacked by those who can't stand them. ;)

You said it as dig towards me, your students might be stupid enough to fall for your semantics games but don't try it here.

And since you're so clairvoyant why not pick the winning lottery numbers here in the states and I'll split them with you.

No offense, but "winning lottery numbers" is a little more complex than "Joey commenting on Star Wars". ;)

The ounce of love TPM does get from everyone else, even from me, stems from it merely being not as bad as AotC. That movie actually makes TPM seem quite good.

Well, IMO The Phantom Menace is the only prequel that "feels" like a Star Wars movie to me, being the only reason I ever watch it at all (which is usually just in pieces on Spike once and a while). As for the others, they don't feel like Star Wars at all. I did an edit of ROTS to make it better, and while I think I definitely accomplished my goal, it still isn't Star Wars. The animated series, with all its faults, is able to capture more magic and adventure in 22 minutes than Lucas could do in 7 hours. Though, with yes men telling him everything he's doing is wonderful, its easy for Lucas to think his films are good.

It's difficult to believe that the prequels even exist in the form they do. I sometimes think I'm in some kind of Star Trek Inner Light coma, living an alternate life in a universe where everything sucks for the past ten years.

Btw I do not hate the Phantom Menace, there are many parts of this film that are easy to enjoy.

The prequels have their flaws (which I don't feel the need to point out now, but which are latched on to by some at the expense of the films' merit), but I still believe overall they are good movies. Better than average; far better than a Transformers or even a Pirates of the Caribbean. Each has spectacular visuals and state-of-the-art effects, brilliant scores (among my favorites - you may not think they measure up to Williams' best, but you can't deny they have memorable moments), a certain number of talented actors, beautiful costuming and set design, and a compelling story arc (you can argue the story could have been executed better, but I think most people agree there is a lot of potential in the story).

Lastly, each of these movies takes place in a vast, intricately engineered universe of characters, technology, politics, climates, religions, cultures, traditions, and history. That universe, one of the most inspired concepts of the 20th century, was created in the head of George Lucas. I expect a few "fanboy" accusations, but I think George deserves someone to stick up for him from time to time considering all he has done to make life a little more interesting for the past couple of decades. And if some of you would "let go of your hate," [/melodramatic OT reference] you might find that the prequels can be more than a little entertaining.

The most entertaining thing about the prequels is the music. Sorry, George. If you listen to that without thinking of the actual movies and the terrible stories and characters, you can imagine everything as it could have been.

The prequels have their flaws...but I still believe overall they are good movies....far better than...even a Pirates of the Caribbean.

;) That depends entirely on which Pirates you're talking about. If you're referring to the first one (which was amazing), that's preposterous...if you're talking about the sequels (which were amazingly bad), yeah, I'd rather watch a Star Wars prequel.

ROTFLMAO AOTC, hardly Williams' best work, but a very enjoyable score nonetheless.

The prequels have their flaws...but I still believe overall they are good movies....far better than...even a Pirates of the Caribbean.

ROTFLMAO That depends entirely on which Pirates you're talking about. If you're referring to the first one (which was amazing), that's preposterous...if you're talking about the sequels (which were amazingly bad), yeah, I'd rather watch a Star Wars prequel.

I'm personally more likely to watch a prequel than the first Pirates; but to your point, I was kind of comparing to an average of the three. I probably should have chosen a different comparison that didn't have such a wide variation of quality within itself. Anyway, you get the idea.

Tartakovky's Clone Wars had some amazing moments. For example, two moments that stood out for me in Akanin's transition to the Dark Side. The one where he "kills" Ventress and the one where he sees his future in a mystical cave. Both moments were excellent and barely had any words. Genndy's series is much better, and more emotional, though the Force powers are a little over the top. And it had a lot more respect for the prequel trilogy themes than Lucas and Brutt had! I think it used the Arena March as sort of the "main theme" of the series.

It would have interesting to see what Tartakovsky could have done with the movies. But I have no doubt J. J. Abrams will remake the prequels some day...

(I would like to make clear that while I find TPM and AOTC a bore-fest, the last half hour of ROTS is brilliant)

When they were announced, around 1995 or so, and before they came out, I was very much against the prequels being made. I remember posting on some rec.arts.starwars.somethingorother that Lucas should've left it alone, that you can't bridge the gap, that they won't be as good. Then they came out and I enjoyed all the hype and hoopla. I gotta say, I really enjoyed each theater experience for all three. Years later now, after countless prequel-bashing threads on numerous message boards, the dust has settled and I think they're still very, very good movies, and enjoyable to watch. As long as you don't expect them to be like the original trilogy.

If you practically ignore the Original Trilogy the Prequels aren't too bad on their own, however there is quite a bit of bad dialogue.

The Phantom Menace wasn't too bad but Jar Jar was rather annoying (even to this day) and Yoda looked (and still does) like he was on crack (can't wait for them to fix that with the Blu-Ray set). Anakin still should have been much older (as old as he was in AOTC).

Attack Of The Clones was a bit better but had too much lovey dovey stuff and Hayden was too damn whiny. The Geonosis battle bits were pretty damn awesome as but that was about it.

Revenge Of The Sith was definitely the best of the Prequels but it was a bit too late and didn't really save the rest of the Prequels.

At least we got good scores from John Williams for all three films.

AOTC did solve some of the problems present in TPM - Jar Jar's presence is greatly reduced, there's a little less politicking, there are actually hints that there's some possibility of Anakin eventually becoming Vader...stuff like that. It's just that the romance is totally unconvincing, as is most of the other acting, largely due to terrible writing and direction by you-know-who. The film's flaws are numerous and well-documented, but it can't hurt to appreciate that it at least didn't repeat all of TPM's mistakes. And Lucas corrected those mistakes even more with ROTS, although even that film is damaged by how contrived and unnatural most of the human interaction feels.

... largely due to terrible writing and direction by you-know-who...

Say Voldemort. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself.

The prequels have their flaws (which I don't feel the need to point out now, but which are latched on to by some at the expense of the films' merit), but I still believe overall they are good movies. Better than average; far better than a Transformers or even a Pirates of the Caribbean. Each has spectacular visuals and state-of-the-art effects, brilliant scores (among my favorites - you may not think they measure up to Williams' best, but you can't deny they have memorable moments), a certain number of talented actors, beautiful costuming and set design, and a compelling story arc (you can argue the story could have been executed better, but I think most people agree there is a lot of potential in the story).

Lastly, each of these movies takes place in a vast, intricately engineered universe of characters, technology, politics, climates, religions, cultures, traditions, and history. That universe, one of the most inspired concepts of the 20th century, was created in the head of George Lucas. I expect a few "fanboy" accusations, but I think George deserves someone to stick up for him from time to time considering all he has done to make life a little more interesting for the past couple of decades. And if some of you would "let go of your hate," [/melodramatic OT reference] you might find that the prequels can be more than a little entertaining.

Thanks Jeff. My sentiments exactly. ROTFLMAO