What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Yesterday via the wonder that is YouTube a few bits of Laurence Rosenthal -namely Clash of the Titans (with some hints of Meteor or vice versa), Leonard Rosenman's Fantastic Voyage (the last track as they are 're-sized' sounds pretty much like what Home Again (Star Trek IV) does but then I listened to Star Trek IV many times over before this track) and finally, Bernard Herrmann's Journey to the Centre of the Earth.

Night Crossing by Jerry Goldsmith

The Ghost and the Darkness by Jerry Goldsmith

Minority Report by John Williams

The Lost World: Jurassic Park by John Williams

http://www.fastcocreate.com/3020229/composer-henry-jackman-on-scoring-the-morally-complex-story-of-captain-phillips

"The whole trick with the Paul Greengrass scenario is that everything is much more ambiguous," says Jackman. "Everything's more subjective and more open to interpretation, and it's a much more thoughtful film, where you can end up not necessarily condoning what the pirates do, but you sort of understand how and why they've ended up in that position, and thinking, 'If I were born near Mogadishu, maybe I'd be one of those guys on the beach queuing up to get in a boat, because it's the only way you can make any money.' He takes away all the crass moral simplicity and presents you with something a little more thought-provoking," Jackman says Greengrass's approach taught him how to change his approach as a composer, as well. "What that means from a musical point of view is to subjugate your obvious tendencies, and not have grand and informative themes that tell the audience what's going on. That's exactly not what Paul's all about."

The result, for Captain Phillips, is a subtle score that uses Western instruments in ways they're rarely used in the West, and that highlights the ambiguity the film calls for.

"It would be false to think that, because a score like Captain Phillips isn't in that category of sweeping symphonic and thematic scores, that somehow that makes it more restricting, or that the director's aesthetic has caused any restriction--I look at it as defining creative parameters, and once you know where those lines are, it's just a different kind of creativity," Jackman explains. "It was like, 'Okay, let's try some interesting experiments. What happens instead of using really obvious ethnic instruments?' Tristan [the cellist Jackman worked with] is a very interesting and thoughtful cellist, and despite being a brilliant technical player in the Western tradition, has also studied in Africa. We sort of misappropriated his cello to see how many weird and non-Western sounds we could get out of it. We were getting an almost ethnic-type approach, but by using a cello, it made it more ambiguous, and hopefully helped the film by not making the Somalis feel obviously exotic and making the Americans feel like the blue-collar heroes."

Saw captain Phillips today...music was mostly ripped from inception and other RC scores

The scoring process was a mess on that one.

Come on, Koko. We can't always come up with that excuse for Jackman.

From time to time, we just got to admit he's a lousy composer!

Greengrass tracked Powell into the climax. That should give some idea of how their collaboration went.

Aliens - James Horner

Friggin' Eggcellent !!!!! :D

Probably my favourite Horner score. Plus dat LSO brass.

Not even in my top 5, but Aliens made me a Horner fan, a fan of film music and made me aware of the fact there was actually a person writing all that music (when I was a kid I didn't know squat about how movies are made).

Aliens - James Horner

Friggin' Eggcellent !!!!! :D

Probably my favourite Horner score. Plus dat LSO brass.

Not even in my top 5, but Aliens made me a Horner fan, a fan of film music and made me aware of the fact there was actually a person writing all that music (when I was a kid I didn't know squat about how movies are made).

Never quite got JH's criticism of the sound of the score. IMO, Eric Tomlinson did a bang-up job.

Shore's like that, actually. Or at least was when he rehearsed with the RSO Vienna. He spent at least half of the rehearsal session getting the bodhrán sound right (telling the player to change mallets and techniques) and then pretty much ran out of time for some of the more complicated cues. I had the impression that he wasn't really used to live performances.

Shore's like that, actually. Or at least was when he rehearsed with the RSO Vienna. He spent at least half of the rehearsal session getting the bodhrán sound right (telling the player to change mallets and techniques) and then pretty much ran out of time for some of the more complicated cues. I had the impression that he wasn't really used to live performances.

Heh. I am sure the bodhran player was happy that his performance was in peak condition but the strings must have been sulking for all the attention the percussionist got. :P

L.A. Confidential by Jerry Goldsmith

City Hall by Jerry Goldsmith

How to Train Your Dragon 2 by John Powell

The Wolfman by Danny Elfman

The Wolfman by Danny Elfman

I think Elfman should score a film called The Elfman.

Someone needs to direct that film if for nothing else than to see Elfman's name on the soundtrack cover twice over.

Not quite. The score was rejected at first, but then it was put back. However, there was no time for Elfman to rework it, as the cut drastically changed. Apparently, becsause a lot of footage got deleted, much of his music ended up being monothematic. Enter Conrad Pope to provide some break and non-thematic material.

It's a fantasic score, by the way. And one of his finest. The bits that remain in the film provide the magic.

Karol

That is the PR answer: in truth, Conrad Pope had to confiscate Elfman's pen, because he was writing even after he was fired.

None of of the bits of Elfman score are actually Elfman's original cues, they are Conrad Pope's reworkings.

That is the PR answer: in truth, Conrad Pope had to confiscate Elfman's pen, because he was writing even after he was fired.

Yes, Conrad Pope is a well-known pencil slayer.

Even Shorian pencil is not moving anymore. ;)

Karol

I've got to check it out at some point. Not sure if you're aware but Iglesias is doing Ridley Scott's Exodus. Now, this is an interesting prospect.

:music:The Spiderwick Chronicles and Die Hard With A Vengeance

Karol

I've got to check it out at some point. Not sure if you're aware but Iglesias is doing Ridley Scott's Exodus. Now, this is an interesting prospect.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see who does the replacement score.

As funny as it may sound, that was exactly the thought that was going through my head when I was typing the previous post. Somewhere... at the back of my mind. :lol:

EDIT: Oh and also listened to Fantastic Voyage by Rosenman today as well (the new LLL release of it). Might be my favourite work from him. But then, I know only 5 or 6...

Karol

Shadows of the Empire-

While it has fantastic set pieces and orchestral color, it's extremely unfocused. Xizor's theme is the only proper theme and even then, it only makes a few fleeting appearances. It doesn't have anything on any of Williams' Star Wars scores. That being said, the set pieces are still incredible and even with it's faults, it's still better than 90% of film music released today.

4/5