What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I really hope one of the labels is working on a complete release for Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. It'd be a for-sure best seller, and the rights aren't mired in anything weird. It's really odd it hasn't happened yet.

Any particular reason why E.T. is in parentheses like an afterthought??

Ha, come to think of it I don't know. I guess as I was (sort of) reviewing Lincoln it didn't seem needed to be unbracketed.

Because Lincoln is better.

In a way, in a way :)

Finally round to listening to the ET 20th Anniversary and for some reason I get a kick out of hearing Yoda's theme in "The Magic of Halloween".

Easily impressed and amused.

I prefer the 1996 CD to the 2002 in terms of sound. Easily one of the best-sounding John Williams score releases, if not the very best. That idiot Shawn Murphy meddled with the 2002 version for some inexplicable reason (despite the fact that it was already perfect) and it's like he went overboard with the treble and bass, or something.

The original E.T. album is a great concept album but does not represent the actual score very well being comprised of alternates and concert suite presentations for the most part. This of course does not make it a bad album quite the contrary. Something like E.T. and Me and Over the Moon are wonderful pieces in their own right and sorely missed on the later releases. Still it is a bit embarrasing that even after 3 releases we still don't have a complete score for this masterpiece.

I also think the original concept album presentation added to the initial impact of the score on the general audiences being a compilation of the most striking elements of the music into a 40 minute listening experience.

Spider-Man 3 by Christopher Young

So let me count all the themes in this one: Black Spider-Man theme, love theme, Venom's theme, Sandman's theme, Sandman's daughter medallion motif, Power & Responsobility (Uncle Ben) theme. Plus Elfman's Green Goblin theme and Spider-Man theme (I don't count adapted film versions done by Debney and Lurie).

Karol

Spidey 3 is my favorite Spider-Man score. Although wasn't too thrilled that Debney and Lurie were brought in to rescore some scenes. I thought all of Young's original material (with original love theme) was better and could have suited the scenes better too.

How are you listening to these scores if you gave up earthly possessions? CDs, computers, speakers, electric bills, these are not free.

I have my entire collection digitized, a computer, an iPod and headphones. That's about it!

I don't get it...did you sell all your CDs and such?

Michael Giacchino - LOST (Season 6)

Some good stuff here eventually, but really 1 disc would have covered the highlights of these 13 episodes.

Michael Giaccino - LOST (The Final Episode)

Pretty much gold from start to finish, especially disc 2 (The End). This should have been the commonly available Season 6 release, with the prior one the limited edition version.

Alan Silvestri - Predator 2 (Varese Deluxe)

Still loving this!

Michael Giacchino - Super 8 (OST)

Great score with 10 great themes

He left them in Rhode Island.

These aren't my people. have you see the license plates? Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Jersey...I'm all by myself out there.

I started the day off with E.T. and I'm currently listening to Superman: The Movie. If I were your average JWFan poster these days, I'd say E.T. was mediocre and I skipped all the boring parts, which like 60% of the score. I'd also say I've given up on Superman at this point, since it's also boring and mediocre. However, I'm loving every second of them. Also on the roster for today is Schindler's List, Amazing Stories: The Mission, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and 1941 complete score. Yes!

Golden-Child-Web.jpg

The Golden Child (disc 2 + disc 3)

I mainly bought this for the John Barry portion, which suprised me at how lavish and lovely it is, but maybe a bit too romantic Barry for the silly film.

The Colombier score fits better, but is also a much less interesting score when heard apart, set firmly in the 80s. Normally I love that dated sound, but Colombier really doesn't go anywhere with his music, apart from a cheesy main theme and some weird synth effects that make the score even less entertaining. Still I like its inclusion in this set for completeness' sake. But it's not often I will return to as often as John Barry's.

Disc 3 brings us some alternates of Barry's music, a Randy Edelman sung version of the main theme, and some catchy 80s tunes which are on the soundtrack, and I happen to like a lot. Hey call me weird, but I'm a child of the eighties, and my love for that era will never disappear.

E.T. is a perfect score and easily John Williams' crowning achievement

Superman is also a perfect score and just 2 hours of pure Williams bliss beginning to end. The sound of the FSM release is perfect to my ears. Sounds like you're right there at Abbey Road listening in on Williams conduct the LSO.

Schindler's List is an amazing score. Emotionally draining and a bit all over the place when you factor in the source music--it's not a frequent listen for me. While I'm on the subject, this score has perhaps the greatest assortment of source music ever.

I'm currently listening to Last Crusade expanded box set version. A magnificent score that needs a remaster and complete release. The Concorde version doesn't sound bad, but it's very fatiguing. Another unfortunate victim of the loudness wars. I just want it to stop, but I still want to listen through.

A.I. is a perfect score and easily John Williams' crowning achievement

CE3K is also a perfect score and just 1.25 hours of pure Williams bliss beginning to end. The sound of the collector's edition release is perfect to my ears. Sounds like you're right there at the WB scoring stage listening in on Williams conduct the HSS.

Jurassic Park is an amazing score. Emotionally invigorating and full of nostalgia--it's a frequent listen for me. While I'm on the subject, this score has some great source music.

I'm currently listening to Lincoln. A magnificent score. It doesn't sound bad but I understand why some find the track arrangement/order questionable. Another unfortunate victim of weird album programming. I don't want it to stop.

Amazing Stories: The Mission is perhaps the most concise John Williams masterpiece score.

1941 is ******* awesome. I haven't listened to the complete score in a long time, actually ever since it first came out. There's a reason why. This is overwhelming, John. It's too damn much. Williams blows his load constantly in this score and I'm just choking on this stuff...musically speaking. Okay, WEIRD analogy.

1941 is awesome. The next time I saw the movie after listening to the LLL set a bunch of times + reading Mike's liners, the movie was so much better, and then the next time I listened to the score I liked it so much more. He did a great job scoring that film.

Should I throw on the Transformers sessions to clear that old fashioned crap out of my ears?

(disclaimer: I do not actually own or like the Transformers scores)

Well you should! The first one is the last great score in the 90s Zimmer sound.

Star Trek: Nemesis - Jerry Goldsmith

Listening to this with Blume's "dying Jerry" interpretation in mind is one of the most haunting things....

Blade Runner - Vangelis

Sublime.

Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie by Bear McCreary.

I eventually managed to get this despite the stupid unavailability issues in Australia. Hopefully this will be lucky enough to get a CD release someday.

This is the first score by McCreary that I've heard from beginning to end, so I'm unfamiliar with his previous popular work from BSG and The Walking Dead. But if this score is any indication, he is a musical talent that deserves greater recognition.

AVGN is one of the most colourful scores I've heard in a long time. Rolfe was probably unaware of this, but so much of the score feels like a callback to some of Jerry Goldsmith's 80s scores for Joe Dante's films like Gremlins, Explorers and The 'Burbs.

McCreary utilises the 80s game console sounds into a wider musical tapestry intended to underline the whole surreal absurdity of the movie. He does resort to some movie music clichés where one moment it will sound like David Newman, and the next moment it's Hans Zimmer. But it's all in the score's intended self-awareness.

You would only ever find a score like this in an independent movie. Modern mainstream Hollywood would never let a composer get away with such laissez faire pizazz and spectacle these days.

Okay, so fat I've listened to the complete score Harry Potter and Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone plus the Children's Suite, Memoirs of a Geisha and the original Jaws album. All spectacular. However...I need to seriously tweak Harry Potter. I haven't touched the sessions since they leaked and they're almost unlistenable without editing out all the silence and fixing the audio levels. The volume is just too low for most of the score, although certain instances are deafeningly loud if you amp it all up. It's a mess. Anyway, the complete score to Empire just started, I got to go. Apologies, the RCA 1997 version of Empire that's missing the film version of Yoda's Entrance.