What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Well, I sort of did. It was the last thing I listened to last night, while reading the making of book (Return to Tomorrow - The Filming of Star Trek: The Motion Picture).

Jack Reacher I'm listening to right now. I'm not exactly in love with this but this Kraemer guy has a lot of potential.

Karol

Since we're talking about Newman, I also listened to Skyfall the other day. It's not one of my favourite albums but I do appreciate what he was trying to achieve in the film. There is a nice autumnal, frosty feel to some of his fragile writing that goes together very well with the somewhat nostalgic tone and ageing themes in this outing.

Karol

Going through the JNH/Shyamalan collaborations in chronological order. Very good stuff.

Sixth Sense by James Newton Howard

Unbreakable by James Newton Howard

Signs by James Newton Howard

Seven out of eight collaborations have a strong score, which is not a too bad ratio in my opinion. :)

:music:The Village

:music:Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events by Thomas Newman. Forgot how good this score is. He has such an unique way of scoring children's films - not kiddy by any means but colourful and fun.

Karol

Wasn't it three discs, plus the DVD-A?

That was the "Complete Recordings", this was my own personal 2-disc cut down.

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith by John Williams

Was it the OST or an expanded fan edit? Personally listening to the expanded (well mine anyways, lol) version of the score is much more enjoyable. A lot of good bits left out of the OST.

Expanded fan edit of course. The soundtrack album just leaves out so much good stuff.

I listened to all three over the weekend. They were riddled with performance errors. Thank god the LSO is out!

I think he knew that, Stephanie. ;)

:music:Batman & Robin by Elliot Goldenthal. A more stylistically consistent version of Batman Forever. A lot of it is simply re-arrangement of that material but arguably more enjoyable. All of which is ironic, given how this film turned out. Pity there's no official album of any sort for this. It sure deserves to be heard.

Karol

The Boy Who Could Fly by Bruce Broughton. Beautiful score.

There should be more to it than I've found on my initial listen, when I found it a bit boring.

It's a problem I have with lots of Broughton's scores. The theme is lovely though.

I think he knew that, Stephanie. ;)

:music:Batman & Robin by Elliot Goldenthal. A more stylistically consistent version of Batman Forever. A lot of it is simply re-arrangement of that material but arguably more enjoyable. All of which is ironic, given how this film turned out. Pity there's no official album of any sort for this. It sure deserves to be heard.

Karol

God knows I would gladly pay for it in its current form, as is. Great little album.

Wolf Totem. Finally. As I said in the eponymous thread, it's a good, solid score, but not quite what Black Gold was to me.

Hans Zimmer - The Amazing Spider-man 2

Errrr, I kinda like this!

Michael Giacchino - The Lost World

What a weird, kooky score. Its nothing like JW's score to the film, and I hear some Elfman-isms and some Goldenthal-isms (Batman Forever type stuff). I gotta listen to this again soon

James Horner - Aliens

:rock:

Jerry Goldsmith - Alien

LOVE THIS

MI0000927494_zpsvvulzlrq.jpg

A classic, in my book. I don't know any score that is more sad than this one. The recording puts you on the stage right in the middle of the string players. Very 3D!

Alex

Have to love Sakamoto. I might put House of Sand and Fog over The Sheltering Sky as the saddest score ever, though: "We Have Travelled So Far; It Is Time to Return to Our Path" is the saddest piece of music I've ever heard.;

I hope they'll do a complete release of The Rocketeer soon! It is one of Horner's best.

The Village by James Newton Howard

Lady in the Water by James Newton Howard

Godzilla by Alexandre Desplat: I still can't get into this score. I keep wishing it was bigger, bolder and had some true orchestral carnage but how can 140 players and chorus sound so small.