What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

31 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Don't you dare listen to one of my all-time top ten favorite scores ever and not provide comment, you delightful cretin! 

Album's kind of weird though, in how the cues are split up into seperate tracks in what should be one track (the opening theme is oddly split into three tracks for example). But it doesn't really effect the CD listening when playing in the car. Which I do often...

Apparently its a way to avoid having to pay choir reuse fees.

2 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

The HTTYD scores are dreadfully overrated.

They can, at points, become overbearingly loud and unnecessarily frenetic (thanks to Dreamworks noisy house style) but especially in Part Deux, Powell manages a dramatic momentum that is head and shoulders above his colleagues working in the medium today (or at least 80% of them). It's still a bit of a number's revue but in the quieter cues he skilfully develops his themes and motifs and a guy who takes his cue from Sibelius (no, it's not just the software) and Vaughan Williams cannot be wholly without greatness.

Revisiting the Hobbit scores.  First is a nice return to the world, with a slightly too bright recording.  The second is really quite good and fresh, but Pope's conducting is just not in the Shore spirit.  I am not especially excited about getting to the third.  I don't even remember much of it.

The recording is fine. The CD master just has awful EQ (super bright and super bassy) and loads of compression.

The bras suffers terribly in the other two.

I tried the nasty buggers on Spotify and Shore has this mousy way of writing (especially here) that i forgot about the content of a 3-minute cue by the time it was over. Why on earth anyone needs 110-minute releases, but alas, that particular ground of discussion has been well-covered.

11 minutes ago, Fal said:

The recording is fine. The CD master just has awful EQ (super bright and super bassy) and loads of compression.

Abbey Road is partially to blame in the first case, as that's a room that has a certain brightness (especially compared to Watford) and along with AIR Lyndhurst, scores recorded there increasingly sound generic to my ears due to sheer overuse - this is now happening with Sony too for me.  Abbey Road's sonic character, and those same EQ/compression issues, actually plague many of Powell's scores.

10 minutes ago, publicist said:

I tried the nasty buggers on Spotify and Shore has this mousy way of writing (especially here) that i forgot about the content of a 3-minute cue by the time it was over. Why on earth anyone needs 110-minute releases, but alas, that particular ground of discussion has been well-covered.

They're certainly not going to ingratiate any Shore skeptics.

45 minutes ago, Fal said:

What's the point in compressing an orchestral score? Do they get a lot of radio play?

5 hours ago, Godzilla said:

What's the point in compressing an orchestral score? Do they get a lot of radio play?

Who knows.

9 hours ago, publicist said:

Thing about those, pub, is that they're not very well served by short albums and/or compilations either. The best thing about them is the whole construction and musical world building... and how it all plays out in long form. And no, I'm not saying that makes a great listening experience.

Karol

:music:  FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD

I'm listening while I wake up, and potter around my flat, making a cafétiere.

Oh, wow, this must be the most "English" OST that I've ever heard, by, probably, the most "English" of all film composers. This will be going into heavy rotation, on my CD player.

I like it :)

Ha ha ha! I'll check it out!

Agreed about TMR.

:music: INCEPTION...in DTS MASTER AUDIO 5.1, if you don't mind.

No, you didn't read that wrong. I'm actually choosing to listen to a HZ score! Oh, the humanity!

Truth to tell, I quite like it, once you get past the oh-so-obvious limitations, and the whole "a second year music student could have done this" thing, of course. Johnny Marr is really quite good.

Next stop, either RAIN MAN, or THELMA AND LOUISE.

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: The Matrix Reloaded by Donald Davis. The most accessible and mainstream of the three.

Which works against it, for me.  The sequels are so far below the original with their more standard Hollywood idioms.  

4 hours ago, Richard said:

Agreed, on all counts.

To anyone who's reading this (and you know who you are) what Karol and me wrote does not mean that the score is bad. No need to untether that high horse, just yet...

Wouldn't have inferred that, if only you'd not felt the need to make the comment about second year music students.  An absurd judgement, and an absurd standard.  I assume you've never dealt with second year music students, nor been one. 

Hour of the Gun (Tadlow re-recording) by Jerry Goldsmith: It is a relatively low-key Western effort from old Jerrald but for some reason appeals to me immensely.

Deepstar Six by Harry Manfredini

I dig it! The usual great horror music, but sprinkled with a truly sweet and lovely main theme, making for a bit more of an emotionally satisfying listening than Friday the 13th.

All contributing to a below-average disposable monster flick. Oh well. I'd rather revisit this than Leviathan. 

I'm somewhat surprised and saddened that no one has yet thanked or credited me for posting a reply that got this thread out of the 666th page.

Well, delved into my Intrada haul with Jaws (2CD), no less brilliant long or short. The other's to follow: Jaws 2, Jaws 4 and the John Williams Jurassic Park Collection. 

8 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

Alas, I did no such thing! That was @Incanus's doing!

Yes credit where credit is due!

Hellboy by Marco Beltrami

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

Yes credit where credit is due!

Hellboy by Marco Beltrami

Nice, Inky, its my favourite Beltrami. :up:

9 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Basil Poledouris - Conan The Barbarian (Prometheus)

kfe2f8RUOKoZmllp3loqqttfKY5TQ+BqwJrQafgV

Basil Poledouris - Farewell to the King (Prometheus)

Farewell-To-The-King-cover.jpg

Now, there's two scores I'd love to own!

The Book Thief by John Williams: Melancholy and lovely.

Memoirs of a Geisha Suite for Cello and Orchestra by John Williams: A fantastic distillation of the central elements of the score into an almost cello concerto form. The Chicago Symphony is in good form and I am so glad Yo-Yo Ma is the soloist here as he always brings that extra bit of magic to this music with his unique voice.

Psycho 2 - Jerry Goldsmith

Certainly not the finest of Jerry's 80s horror scores, but still really enjoyable.  I've never bought the Intrada expansion because I feel pretty satisfied with the half-hour OST for this one.  Is that wrong?

No, Stu, its not wrong, at all! I've loved both score and film since 1983.

I find that, while acknowledging the original film and score's brilliance, I prefer to watch/listen to, the sequel. I just find both a better ride.

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Psycho 2 - Jerry Goldsmith

Certainly not the finest of Jerry's 80s horror scores, but still really enjoyable.  I've never bought the Intrada expansion because I feel pretty satisfied with the half-hour OST for this one.  Is that wrong?

Not at all! The OST is a great listen and one of my favourite JG albums. 1983 might have been his best year of that decade.