What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Sinbad Legend of the Seven Seas by Harry Gregson-Williams: I do not know if it was the long production period required for animation but I think it shows in the score as this is one of HGW's most straightforwardly entertaining scores, in a sense a modernized Korngoldian swashbuckler with energetic bouncy sense of fun and a plethora of hummable themes. And woodwinds. Man I love those woodwinds. And the female vocals for Eris the main antagonist.

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

While I do like the score (la lot of good stuff in this one, such as the music for the mermaids, or Eris' theme), I find the various statements of the main theme to be a bit samey, making the whole thing feel a tad repetitive. Would have loved to hear more of the secondary heroic theme (heard for example at the beginning of Surfing), which I personally find to be more interesting.

It is not the most complex of scores. But I rather enjoy it. What it lacks in depth, it more than makes up in enthusiasm.

Karol

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You can keep your Gregson-Williamseses, I'll just listen to Herrmann's brilliant old Sinbad score.

I am so sorry you like that awful pseudo-Oriental schmaltz. Brrr even the mere thought gives me the heebie-jeebies and not the good ones.

*shrug* I think it's a fun score with much of Herrmann's signature style combined with the "pseudo-orientalism" (something Williams himself is far from innocent of employing at times).  I love his sword and sandals adventure scores.  Would they work in a modern context? Nope, and maybe that's ok.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

*shrug* I think it's a fun score with much of Herrmann's signature style combined with the "pseudo-orientalism" (something Williams himself is far from innocent of employing at times).  I love his sword and sandals adventure scores.  Would they work in a modern context? Nope, and maybe that's ok.

I might have to explore more of Herrmann outside his broodier psychological side, which I love. What other sword-and-sandal scores can you recommend from him?

As you feared the videos don't work but I can certainly track the score down and check it out. :) 

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

As you feared the videos don't work but I can certainly track the score down and check it out. :) 

I really hope you do.  In many ways a lot of that score is a stylistic precursor to Williams' adventure scores.  You can tell Herrmann was a huge influence on him orchestrationally (is that a word?).  Or maybe it's that they're both taking inspiration from the same classical composers ;) 

The Merchant of Venice by Jocelyn Pook: Even with the eclectic mix of the famed counter tenor Andreas Scholl singing the words of John Milton's Paradise Lost and Shakespeare's own How Sweet the Moonlight from Lorenzo's monologue from the play, Libera boyschoir soloist intoning the Bard's Tell Me Where is Fancy Bred (from the same play), The Bridal Ballad of Edgar Allan Poen sung by Haley Westenra (such a gorgeous voice) and several period source songs and instrumental pieces mixed with Pook's own score this album actually works pretty well.

18 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I hope those links work in your country.  Sometimes those "official" YouTube uploads don't.  Anyway, I love Jason and the Argonauts.

#There may be no golden fleece,

But Human riches I'll release

Like Jason and the argonauts# :)

Kingdom of Heaven by Harry Gregson-Williams: Another one of the composer's more accomplished works, sort of an introspective epic which requires an attentive ear to spot the subtleties that lie in the thematic development and fine orchestrational touches representing time, place and culture. While Scott treated the music somewhat crudely at times in the film itself by tracking in music from various sources and composers to replace passages he didn't like, on album HGW has the luxury of showcasing his music in its own right and it does make for an engaging listening experience that succeeds in collecting and combining many of the highlights of the score in a 60 minute programme. Just don't go in expecting enormous orchestral grandstanding worthy of old sword-and-sandal epics, as those moments are surprisingly few and far apart, and you might actually enjoy it more for its thoughtful atmosphere combining the musical heritage of Europe with the flavours of the Middle East done with a modern twist.

La Pella - Lalo Schifrin - Found this while searching online. It's an obscure Italian film with a score by Schifrin, written during what I consider the composers most varied period. It's great, with a sweeping main theme, some dissonant strings, and old-timey source material, as well as classical music references. The original album is short but apparently the music was re-released in Spain in 2006, running at over an hour in total as well. Good stuff!

David Shire is a criminally underused and underrated composer. I enjoy his work very much. He did this small score for the shitty IMAX film called The Journey Inside. It is absolutely ace and yet you won't find a single clip of it online. Intrada pressed a disc containing the entire score a couple of years ago. At about only 38 minutes, it is a perfect dose. But it's one of those discs nobody bought so it went out of print very quickly. I enjoy it very much - it's a rare example of Shire writing for large orchestra.

Karol

8 hours ago, publicist said:

The Mummy - Brian Tyler

a) I love your commentaries on stuff

b) I don't listen anymore to those scores that seem meant to be bad most of the way trough, I don't want to spend hours looking for tiny stuff. Apply the deluxe treatment to good and great ones and be done with it.

16 hours ago, Richard said:

THE HINDENBURG, SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER, 2010, and ZODIAC, are all top-notch.

Farewell My Lovely and Monkey Shines are also great. 

Anyway...

The Mummy - Brian Tyler - After a promising if good start (Egypt's Next Great Queen actually features some decent Tyler scoring that isn't overdone), the album starts to head into typical chaotic Tyler territory. There's some fine modern adventure, including a nice theme for Cruise's character, but boy does Tyler need to learn how to quiet things down more often. Sometimes it feels like he thinks like he's composing for a huge opera or something. Also the album is just way too long, which is typical of a Tyler release really, otherwise it's a fine score I suppose. 

2 hours ago, Richard said:

+ 1, dude. CHECKMATE is great.

It has become a favourite of mine from JW's 1960's discography for certain. :) 

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

:music: Hamlet by Dmitri Shostakovich. Remember reading Herrmann was a big fan of this one.

Karol

I have to confess certain fondness for it myself.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I only like the last orchestral track.

Who's idea was it to give the sequel to 2001 a synth score?

Likely Peter Hyams, who originally hired of all people to do the music, Tony Banks, but they had a falling out. If you watch the film though, much of the music is dialed back quite a bit anyway. Personally I really like the music because while it is very 80's, it does manage to create quite the atmosphere at points too, and I'm a fan of the sound. Of course it has nothing on the original in terms of actual music, but it's good. 

On that note, 2010 and Short Circuit are the only Shire scores that I'm aware of that are largely synth based, unless I'm mistaken. 

The synclavier is all there of course, but I find its use effective. The album and film are actually different though. The music in the film was actually quite restrained, while on the album it seems to strangely more "beepy / melodious", which was Shire's original intent. 

BTW apparently according to an interview with Shire in 1985, the reason why Hyams wanted a electronic score was because he "felt the score needed a bit of the “other-worldliness” that electronic realization would evoke", so in that sense I can understand why he went with that type of music, well that and it was the 80's. 

6 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

2010 - David Shire - Really quite good, one of the better all electronic scores of the 80's I've heard so far.

WITNESS is, probably, the best of the lot. MAIN TITLE/JOURNEY TO BALTIMORE is cosmic.

I've also got a soft-spot for WARGAMES, BLUE THUNDER, RUNAWAY, and THE MOSQUITO COAST.

Fade To Black - Craig Safan - The suspense rock bits don't do a whole lot for me, but I do like the shimmer strings theme, and the French like waltz classical sounds very nice. Overall an uneven score, though it's fairly effective in the film itself. 

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

WITNESS is, probably, the best of the lot. MAIN TITLE/JOURNEY TO BALTIMORE is cosmic.

I've also got a soft-spot for WARGAMES, BLUE THUNDER, RUNAWAY, and THE MOSQUITO COAST.

Those are good examples, some of my other favorite 80's synth scores would probably be Escape From New York (most John Carpenter stuff as well), Day of The Dead, Blade Runner, The Blob, Flight of The Navigator (cheesy Silvestri synclavier score, but I really love it honestly, nostalgia man), among others.

There were a lot of actual horror films that used only electronics around that time to usually fairly effective results. 

4 hours ago, Richard said:

FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR is nice. How could I forget BLADE RUNNER?!

MISSING, and THE BOUNTY are both good, as well.

1492 is also very good, though that's the 1990's of course. Big fan of Vangelis as well BTW, Missing is in need of a proper release. 

6 hours ago, Richard said:

FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR is nice. How could I forget BLADE RUNNER?!

MISSING, and THE BOUNTY are both good, as well.

When I was a kid, I thought it was "Flight of the Alligator".

The Mummy (the boring one) :music:

Better than Randy Edleman's cheesy-bad Tomb of the Dragon Emperor but still not very good.  That being said, some of the thematic material is passable, like a neutered version of Alan Silvestri's score.  

The Mummy :music:

The Mummy Returns :music: