What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The shortest and acceptable way of listening ROTJ is on the 1993 Anthology boxset. Disc 3. You don't even have to combine the Disc 4 tracks if you don't want to! 

ROTJ is the worst of the OT, and by that I mean it really isnt a good film. It's also not a bad film. And parts of it do work.

But my God, what a step down from the previous two.

Great score though....

7 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

You should change your username to Bilbo Spitfires.

Spitfires!! Merlin engine! <3

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

The shortest and acceptable way of listening ROTJ is on the 1993 Anthology boxset. Disc 3. You don't even have to combine the Disc 4 tracks if you don't want to! 

There's still too much on that 3rd disc! 

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It's better than any of the Hobbit scores!

I'm not sure it is. I'd take either of the first two Hobbits over it.

5 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

We are tlaking about the score, you moron!

How does one "tlak", exactly?

ROTJ is fast becoming my favourite score of all seven. It's the one which I return (no pun intended) to, most often.

2 minutes ago, Romão said:

I love "Faking the Code" from ROTJ. It's one of my favorite Star Wars tracks. And that ending fanfare from Sail Barge assault...

It remains my favorite Star Wars score

FAKING THE CODE is fantastic.

1 hour ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

It's my least favourite Star Wars in every respect. I just can't warm to any aspect of it. 

It's one of those scores I should love but just can't get into.  The music for the final duel is some of Williams' best music but the rest doesn't really do much for me.  A large part of this is due to the comparitively underwhelming thematic material (apart from the iconic Emperor's theme).  The duo of "Parade of the Ewoks" and "Luke & Leia" are by far the weakest "primary themes" of the Williams films.

I suppose the concert-esque action music is cool, but even then I don't find myself returning to it as much as other SW action music.  

35 minutes ago, Richard said:

C'mon, guys, he's only 26.

Give the po' boy a break!

25!

20 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

It's one of those scores I should love but just can't get into.  The music for the final duel is some of Williams' best music but the rest doesn't really do much for me.  A large part of this is due to the comparitively underwhelming thematic material (apart from the iconic Emperor's theme).  The duo of "Parade of the Ewoks" and "Luke & Leia" are by far the weakest "primary themes" of the Williams films.

I suppose the concert-esque action music is cool, but even then I don't find myself returning to it as much as other SW action music.  

PREACH!! 

:music: Obsession by Bernard Herrmann. The Tadlow re-recording. Although the Music Box version is excellent too.

Earlier listened to McNeely's recording of Vertigo.

Karol

Both Zimmer and Herrmann could learn a thing or two about film scoring from Michael Giacchino. ;)

I've not actually heard Dunkirk outside of the film. Hard to comment as it is not exactly the most "musical" of scores.

Karol

War For the Planet of the Apes by Michael Giacchino: Another entirely workaman-like effort from the composer. Solid 3 stars. Whatever possessed James Southall to give this score 5 stars is really beyond me.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

War For the Planet of the Apes by Michael Giacchino: Another entirely workaman-like effort from the composer. Solid 3 stars. Whatever possessed James Southall to give this score 5 stars is really beyond me.

I'm so tired of Giacchino haterz filling this forum with their negativity.  I bet you think this score's a masterpiece and are just saving face.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

Like Roger Ebert, he can be as generous as Santa Claus with his highest ratings.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm so tired of Giacchino haterz filling this forum with their negativity.  I bet you think this score's a masterpiece and are just saving face.

Call me rather disappointed. He was not the one who was promised after all.

It is what passes for a great score in 2017. And in a way it's fair to say we have long left the age of fully rounded composers with a huge bag of technical knowledge, experience and education that translates into inventive and exquisitely written music even for potboilers like 'Star Trek V', 'The Lost World' or 'The Pagemaster' (random selection).