What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

It's a shame I first heard of Tangerine Dream through the Legend debacle, as it turned out their stuff's pretty cool beyond the whole THEY REPLACED GOLDSMITH nonsense. Love Near Dark

7 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Is it true the non-deluxe version of The Hobbit 1 has music that the deluxe edition doesn't have?

Yes, and Desolation of Smaug does as well

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vT1LlmOwmhyjzo4eCX_T-5Q8ZMB4QkDQ3c-jhezQ_T-K4uOs2ehy2GaRwUsbSxIN2Uajt8pjOSrj8Wu/pubhtml

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Wrong!

ROTK is the worst though. Not surprising maybe. How to assemble a coherent 1 CD album of a 4 hour work.

With the important cues still to be recorded.

But I'm with Stu and Drax on this one. Towers has got the best album. Revelation of the Ringhwraiths kind of gets on my nerves so you can see why it can't be Fellowship.

Karol

6 minutes ago, crocodile said:

With the important cues still to be recorded.

But I'm with Stu and Drax on this one. Towers has got the best album. Revelation of the Ringhwraiths kind of gets on my nerves so you can see why it can't be Fellowship.

Karol

There's no track named that.

And what do you mean still to be recorded?

There's a theme named that.

A lot of the ROTK had yet to be recorded by the time they had to put together the OST. Noticed like there is barely any siege of Gondor music on the album?

Karol

10 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Revelation of the Ringhwraiths

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There's no track named that.

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

There's a theme named that.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

In which track can I find the annoying theme you're referring to?

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11861-the-themes-of-howard-shores-the-lord-of-the-rings/

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What's wrong with the theme - does it remind you of The Omen?

Revelation of the Ringwraiths is actually a title of the lyrics, not the official name of the theme. But that's what I call it.

There's nothing "wrong" with it as such, musically. But it appears so many times in similar variations in so many tracks of the FOTR OST that I really get fed up with it. Plus it doesn't really describe the Nine in a way I imagined them. I always thought of them as...well...wraiths.. Quiet. Think the first encounter on the road in FOTR(both book and film). I was thinking they would make no sound other than that sniffing thing. The theme is bit too overblown, I would say. In a way I think Shore's The Nine theme from The Hobbit films described them better.

EDIT: Funny, I actually read some of my post from that thread that Jay linked to. Funny how your opinions change. That was around the time I started posting here, trying to be more edgy haha (actually not sure about that). 😄

Karol

On 8/8/2018 at 9:06 PM, crocodile said:

Revelation of the Ringwraiths is actually a title of the lyrics, not the official name of the theme. But that's what I call it.

There's nothing "wrong" with it as such, musically. But it appears so many times in similar variations in so many tracks of the FOTR OST that I really get fed up with it. Plus it doesn't really describe the Nine in a way I imagined them. I always thought of them as...well...wraiths.. Quiet. Think the first encounter on the road in FOTR(both book and film). I was thinking they would make no sound other than that sniffing thing. The theme is bit too overblown, I would say. In a way I think Shore's The Nine theme from The Hobbit films described them better.

EDIT: Funny, I actually read some of my post from that thread that Jay linked to. Funny how your opinions change. That was around the time I started posting here, trying to be more edgy haha (actually not sure about that). 😄

Karol

To my mind the theme for the Ringwraiths is quite apt as it doesn't per se describe their form as mostly insubstantial wraiths given form only when clothed, they are given but rather the sheer bone chilling terror they invoke, their relentless undying drive to hunt for the Ring and first and foremost their might as the greatest emissaries of the Dark Lord and the power of Mordor. Sure in the novel their methods are somewhat more subtle but the score enforces their appearances in the film where they are depicted a good deal more brazen in their approach to finding the Ring.

But I can't deny that perhaps my favourite rendition of the theme is heard on Weathertop (A Knife in the Dark on the OST) where the theme begins as a unison whispered chant for the choir that then builds into the intensity of a scream during the cue as Witch-King attacks Frodo. 

I also find it pretty impressive how Shore actually combines the Ringwraith theme, the few simple forceful chords, with all the other Mordor accompaniment figures so that together they form this effective and natural combination, the Nazgûl theme effectively gathering together all these motifs into one denser even more powerful thematic figure. It is to my mind like all these little separate musical cogs and gears coming together to form the full machinery.

In the grand architecture of Shore's music and Tolkien mythology the theme makes perfect sense, don't get me wrong. It is simply not how I would describe the feeling these beings evoke. Plus, as I said, my disdain has more to do with the repetitive nature of the OST and why I prefer TTT as an album. It is not that much of a problem on CR.

Karol

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Hearts by Michael Giacchino and Yoko Shimomura

Robocop II by Leonard Rosenman

I know little to nothing about this composer otherwise, but I confess to loving this more than Poledouris' original. Original has a marvelous theme, but is otherwise a dull listen. This one's corny, and corn is tasty and nutritious.