What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Finally continuing my progress through the prior movies. Hopefully I'll be done before 7.1 is no longer in theaters!

This is a well directed film. I enjoyed the camera angles and transitions and overall flow of the film. Some of the things missing from the book bothered me less this time, perhaps because its been much longer since I've read the book now. Lupin really was a well written and performed chracter, and Trelawney as well for her limited role. The ending sequence (starting from punching Malfoy up till they return to Ron) is a bit long, I think. A little too much time spent on showing the same thing happening again. But it is overall very strong. I guess my biggest complaint is the same as HP2: There's no ending. Harry and Lupin say goodbye.... then Harry gets a broomstick from Sirius and flies away. i dunno. Feel like a little more denoument would have been appropriate - like explaining how Lupin even knew what the Marauder's Map was to begin with, and who Moody Padfoot Wormtail and Prongs were. But I've ranted about that before.

Marvellous score. So many great unreleased moments. I really enjoyed the Window the the Past Theme in all the scenes it played. Peter Pettigrew's theme is also very enjoyable. Can't wait for a complete release someday

Pettigrew's Theme is the major reason why I love that score. So brilliant, and straight out of Munich too, or was this before that one? Either way, it's an awesome string of notes. The whole scene in the shrieking shack is great.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Much better. Despite being longer, this was better paced, with much more drama and peril and emotion. Music worked great too. CGI still a bit ropey. Loved Branagh.

Much better. Despite being longer, this was better paced, with much more drama and peril and emotion. Music worked great too. CGI still a bit ropey. Loved Branagh.

Branagh was the best thing about it. I thought everything else was disjointed and soulless. A series of scenes etc.

The weakest of the 'OT'.

Branagh was the best thing about it. I thought everything else was disjointed and soulless. A series of scenes etc.

The weakest of the 'OT'.

I really like some things about it, but I mostly agree. The first movie had its problems, including a much too linearised plot, but at least it still retained a coherence as a movie. CoS had potential in all its individual bits, but ended up being just a patchwork of loosely connected scenes from the book. And Branagh was brilliant.

Taken on its own, yes it is rather better than SS. However, seeing it when it came out a mere couple of months after the first, it felt a bit too samey despite being an actual improvement.

Pettigrew's Theme is the major reason why I love that score. So brilliant, and straight out of Munich too, or was this before that one? Either way, it's an awesome string of notes. The whole scene in the shrieking shack is great.

Is that the opening notes on "Quidditch, Third Year"?

Is that the opening notes on "Quidditch, Third Year"?

That's the Grim's motif.

saw Black Swan for the second time. Still feel that it's Aronofsky's best. Also had the Tree of Life trailer attached to it which at the very least has some truly breathtaking cinematography. Alas, no dinosaurs in the trailer as I've been led to believe.

Does the series always get incrementally better? This one was fantastic. Saying that, not a fan of the transitions and the final freeze frame. Thewlis is fantastic.

Does the series always get incrementally better? This one was fantastic. Saying that, not a fan of the transitions and the final freeze frame. Thewlis is fantastic.

Agreed with everything, except that I really like the transitions.

Goblet of Fire is the worst of the series IMO

Easily. It has some of the best character bits in the movies, but as a complete film, it fails horribly.

After GoF, the films gradually improve again, with DH.1 possibly being a serious contender to PoA.

I think it's the transitions that give me the extra chills.

127 Hours

Danny Boyle makes 1 hour and 15 minutes of a man stuck under a rock pretty interesting. His visual style here is reminiscent of Slumdog Millionaire, but there are some really fantastic shots and I wouldn't be surprised if it got a nomination for cinematography. James Franco also deserves a nomination. He has come a long way from his Spider-Man days. Rahman's music was effective, but let's hope he doesn't get another Oscar.

Whatever Works

I have yet to see a couple of Allen's later films, but I think this is the only one that's really filmed like his classics. You get the asides like you would in a play, but probably more so than he's ever done. The film opens with Woody Allen (via Larry David) talking to you for probably around 15 minutes. A bold way to start your movie, I wonder how many people walked out during that time. The dialogue is excellent as usual, but some of the camerawork was a little odd and didn't work for me. It's slow to start, but once it gets rolling I really enjoyed it.

Whatever Works

I still have to see that one.

Vicky Christina Barcelona: The first 25-30 minutes were quite good, but from the moment uberbabe Scarlett Johansson ran to the toilet to empty her stomach, the film started to struggle. I can't get rid of the impression that it was simply an excuse for Allen to take some time off in far and exotic Spain with three beautiful women.

This is just a well made fantasy adventure movie, regardless of the fact that it's a Potter instalment. The gliding shots through the clockwork gears accompanied by Williams' spellbinding time-ticking music are just real cinema magic. Apart from a couple of times in the first movie I don't think that has been achieved again in any of the subsequent sequels.

While not necessarily my favourite, I certainly think HP:SS works as a stand alone experience.

Although I haven't read any of the books, if that matters??

The Mist

When I first saw the trailer for this, I thought "Why Thomas Jane?" and lost a little respect for Darabont. Since then though I've come to like Jane as an actor. He's more than proven he has what it takes and has developed tremendously much like James Franco has. Either way, I never really thought this film could be as good as The Green Mile or The Shawshank Redemption, because this was more towards Stephen King's horror side, and the only person to ever peg that down well was Kubrick (in my opinion). Either way, I watched some of the film when it was on TV before this proper viewing; mostly towards the beginning. I know Bryant expressed his love for the film and talked about the ending greatly. I read through the spoiler tags, but honestly did not remember the specifics about it.

I got the special edition on Blu during Black Friday, because from what I saw it wasn't bad. Now I've sat down, and watched the black and white version as Darabont originally intended it to be. I must say, I wish I saw this in theaters (although only in black and white). Darabont is a master of tension here, putting you on the edge of your seat without actually showing anything. The CGI is pretty bad, but the b&w takes some of the edge off that, and adds wonders to the cinematography. Any scene directly involving the mist was fantastic. The attention to detail rivals that of the Coen brothers. Things like skid marks on the floor, shots fired, and other little things that most people probably don't pick up on add so much more to the experience for me. I wish the film had no original score. Isham provides very little in the scheme of things, and Lisa Gerrard's vocal piece at the end would have been even better had it been the only music we heard. Marcia Gay Harden was a little too good at her part, because some of her religious ranting was hard to stomach and watch. It scares me that there are actually people out there like that.

My favorite line from the film: "As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another. Why do you think we invented politics and religion? "

whats wrong with the transitions? i loved them

Vicky Christina Barcelona: The first 25-30 minutes were quite good, but from the moment uberbabe Scarlett Johansson ran to the toilet to empty her stomach, the film started to struggle. I can't get rid of the impression that it was simply an excuse for Allen to take some time off in far and exotic Spain with three beautiful women.

I really enjoyed the whole thing. It's not just the setting and actors that were different- it was tonally also very different. The warm color palette fit with the far warmer and more sympathetic portrait he was presenting. These are sad characters- but I felt like Woody was more sympathetic towrds them than he's been in years.

The Fighter

Very enjoyable flick. As a boxing movie it's ok. IMO the fights in Ali have yet to be topped and this doesn't really come close but then again the family drama makes up for it. Wahlberg is fine but doesn't do anything particularly new. Bale and Leo on the other hand steal the show from everybody.

The Thin Red Line: I liked it better this time but it's still not my kind of film. The filming is incredible, no question about it, but the subject of war (the graveness of it) and the eternal dramatic strings score by Zimmer are simply not my cup of tea. I think, all in all, Malick pushes forward the drama too much, even though it never becomes over the top like Platoon. The last war scene felt pointless to me.

2_main.jpg

What ever happened to this guy? In this film, Malick treats him as if he's going to be the next big thing in Hollywood!

Alex

The Mist

Marcia Gay Harden was a little too good at her part, because some of her religious ranting was hard to stomach and watch. It scares me that there are actually people out there like that.

She was one of the fundamental problems of the film (apart from the silly ending)...a string-puppet slave of the screenplay, whose only function is to provide plot fodder. I really liked the MOOD of the MIST, but Darabont really missed the boat with the creaky storytelling, which apparently isn't even in the book.

Get rid of Gay Harden and her God's Army crusade, let those soldiers not tell cringeworthy explanations for the phenomenon (don't show the shark too often, in other words!) and let the film end with the car on the road.

I really enjoyed the whole thing. It's not just the setting and actors that were different- it was tonally also very different. The warm color palette fit with the far warmer and more sympathetic portrait he was presenting. These are sad characters- but I felt like Woody was more sympathetic towrds them than he's been in years.

While the film certainly looks pretty, didn't you have a feeling it is more like a lame postcard picture of Barcelona (and other places) than its own thing?

Karol

I think that the postcard quality was a big element in the film...but, like I said, it felt like Woody was really invigorated by the somewhat arbitrary change of location. A warmer, more understanding and more alive film resulted.

Get rid of Gay Harden and her God's Army crusade

And you have a dumb, boring monster movie. It would be just another 'the good guys vs. the monster'. The religious fanatic makes this film smarter, more interesting: the church (or religion in general) as an even bigger foe. I did't like the ending either, but on the other hand, it's in line with the spirit of the movie. This film is the Starship Troopers of the nillies.

Screamers: It's so bad, I stopped watching after 15 minutes. I watched The Thin Red Line instead.

Get rid of Gay Harden and her God's Army crusade

And you have a dumb, boring monster movie. It would be just another 'the good guys vs. the monster'. The religious fanatic makes this film smarter, more interesting: the church (or religion in general) as an even bigger foe.

There are indeed several ways to drag religion into this. The movie did it, to use your own words, in a dumb 'good vs. bad' way. Monster movie for me, please!

The Mist showed too much of the monsters...the first (more claustrephobic and mysterious) half was better.

I quite liked the giant furry feet in the finale and the insects were interesting, too. The tentacles not so much.

The Mist

My favorite line from the film: "As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another. Why do you think we invented politics and religion? "

Yes, that line is deliciously bad.

Lee - who wishes Tom Jane did more leading stuff.

The Princess and the Frog

For the first traditionally animated feature coming out of Disney in 6 years, the movie is oddly tame and lackluster. It strikes me as a film that's just going through the motions most of the time, with very little in the way of original writing. And for a film that by its very title promises to be a fresh take on a classic fairy tale, that's really disappointing. There's some great animation in there, but the characters are one-note and the story drags. Pity.

There are indeed several ways to drag religion into this. The movie did it, to use your own words, in a dumb 'good vs. bad' way. Monster movie for me, please!

I get the feeling that a lot of people don't know how to interpret the tone of the movie. Perhaps it's because of the name Darabont. Nothing is meant to be realistic or naturalistic (it's not like Cloverfield). Everything is enlarged like a bad B-movie. The religious fanatic is a monster, a caricature. This is not a movie that wastes time telling us that bad people have a good side too. OTOH, it's not meant to be an obvious persiflage a la Rodriguez (Planet Terror) either.

Alex

The Mist

Yes, that line is deliciously bad.

Lee - who wishes Tom Jane did more leading stuff.

He has a great cameo in Scott Pilgrim.

I get the feeling that a lot of people don't know how to interpret the tone of the movie. Perhaps it's because of the name Darabont. Nothing is meant to be realistic or naturalistic (it's not like Cloverfield). Everything is enlarged like a bad B-movie. The religious fanatic is a monster, a caricature. This is not a movie that wastes time telling us that bad people have a good side too. OTOH, it's not meant to be an obvious persiflage a la Rodriguez (Planet Terror) either.

Alex

It felt like quite a regular genre movie to me. DEEP RISING is a B-movie, heart on its sleeve, THE MIST ain't. The problem isn't that it wastes no time with its caricatures, it's that it does. Purely IMHO, the movie would be better off with 90 minutes instead of 120, half of its cast thrown out and concentrating on the few survivors in a halfway realistic way. For a b-movie, it has too many pretensions.

It felt like quite a regular genre movie to me.

B-movies are often referred to as 'genre films'. Anyway, because the tone reminded me of Verhoeven's Starship Troopers, I sensed it was a B-movie within the first 5-10 minutes and without knowing Darabont actually intented to shoot this film in B&W so it would refer to the B&W B-movies from the '50s. Maybe Darbont's film is too subtle compared to Quentin Tarantino and Roberto Rodriquez's more obvious and parodying approach. I don't see why a B-movie or a genre film can't have any pretentions. The fact that so many people are devived over the style and outcome of The Mist should tell you it's not just another normal film. The thing is, I simply don't experience the problems that some people have with this movie because I look at it from a different perspective. Perhaps I like films that have a certain duality.

"In Bruges", or should I say "In f***ing Bruges"? I saw it on Thursday f***ing night, on Film f***ing 4. Actually, it's a nice little f***ing movie, with good f***ing charcterisation, and good f***ing performances, all f***ing round.

I even liked the "Don't Look f***ing Now" bit. A lot of f***ing swearing, though; nearly put me right f***ing off.