In The Moon light vs. How Can I Remember

A24

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which song will you delete?

• 'In The Moonlight' sung by Sting
    • 'How Can I Remember' sung by Michael Dees
    • I want them both wiped out
    • They both deserve to be on the CD

'In The Moonlight' is a soft bossa nova pop song. 'How Can I Remember' sounds like it could be a romantic song from a musical. Which one would you delete from the Sabrina album? Yes, Stefancos is holding a gun to your head, you have no choice.

Alex

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"How Can I Remember?" is a pretty, if forgettable song. "(In The)Moonlight", I prefer for several reasons: it's sung better, and more expressively; it has a more important role in the film; it goes to completing my Sting collection; it features Vinnie Colaiuta on drums, and any song that features Vinnie Colaiuta on drums gets my vote!

I like them both, even as much as "Moonlight" resembles "Make Me Rainbows" from FITZWILLY.

I also don't understand the poll.

It does sound a bit like "Make Me Rainbows", doesn't it?!

As for not understanding the poll, I'll understand anything someone is holding a gun to my head. ;)

They're my least favorite tracks on the CD, but still part of the experience, so I wouldn't delete either. If you were really holding a gun to my head, I'd say "How Can I Remember" can go.

How Can I Remember is easily one of the best songs JW has ever written, despite the fact that JW is not really a good or noteworthy songwriter. How Can I Remember is still an exception: it's highly melodic and atmospheric, and quite complex.

Moonlight is just too much Make Me Rainbows (except for the bridge, which is great).

I never finished listening to this CD. So I can't vote.

I did. Twice, I think. The only thing I recalled both times was that I simply didn't like any of it.

That is tragic - I love Sabrina - its theme is possibly my favorite Williams theme ever. But I guess tastes differ. Some would say it's tragic that I don't like Close Encounters.

I wouldn't be able to delete any of them, Sabrina is a great listening experience just the way it is. It is an absolutely delightful piece of work

Too bad the recording sounds like a 64k MP3 file run through an aural exciter, isn't it?

I like them both, even as much as "Moonlight" resembles "Make Me Rainbows" from FITZWILLY.

Now that you mention it. It does indeed sound like some kind of update of the older song.

Alex

I wouldn't be able to delete any of them, Sabrina is a great listening experience just the way it is. It is an absolutely delightful piece of work

(Y)

But I prefer the instrumental work to either of these songs. "Theme from Sabrina" and "Growing Up in Paris" are especially awesome.

I don't go crazy over these songs, but I wouldn't delete them!

The one sung by Sting is slightly better, IMO, maybe in part because of the piano solo halfway through.

"How Can I Remember?" is a pretty, if forgettable song. "(In The)Moonlight", I prefer for several reasons: it's sung better, and more expressively; it has a more important role in the film; it goes to completing my Sting collection; it features Vinnie Colaiuta on drums, and any song that features Vinnie Colaiuta on drums gets my vote!

I disagree. "Moonlight" is sung not more expressively, but in a more accessible manner. Also, in the whole score stucture, the theme around which is built "How Can I Remember", has a much more proeminent use.

I also don't understand the poll.

I also have some dificulty understanding it...

And I wouldn't be able to say it any better ;)

I never finished listening to this CD. So I can't vote.

I did. Twice, I think. The only thing I recalled both times was that I simply didn't like any of it.

I like all of it, in fact it is my fav JW cd :-) Please send your unwanted copies to me, I can use some spare ones.

They're both nice songs, no more, no less.

More than these two, I love the instrumental concert version of "(In the) Moonlight", with a very Accidental Tourist-like arrangement.

You know, I very much agree. Beside the main theme, I think this is the best track on the album. What I especially love about it is the horn solo (well, sorta) from 1:00 - 1:10. Man, I get pleasurable chills every time I hear that part! What a sublime moment!

I always thought the mistakes she made - mostly intonation - were done intentionally to make it seem more in character. A six year old shouldn't be a perfect singer. However, I prefer the usual "let's get a good singer" style, as I don't think musicals are supposed to be realistic in the first place.

Why would I want to remove music by John Williams from a CD?

Often heard reasons:

1) Pop songs spoil the mood and cadence of the album.

2) Pop songs must die.

I thought the way she sang was refreshingly normal. She had a nice, pleasant voice that wasn't operatic or showy.

Oh don't get me wrong, I rather enjoy that song. She sang it like a normal homesick little girl would have done.

But between mentioning the exclusion of that song or the one Margot Kidder did for Superman, mentioning Margot Kidder would not allow me to post how well Maggie Banning has grown.

So, where is the Sabrina complete score...

You know, I would have nothing against a newly expanded edition of Sabrina. The OST is a very good listening experience and it's a very nice piece on itself, but it's a very different presentation than what was written for the actual film. It reminds the concept of the soundtrack album of the 1960s.

The film cues are quite different from their counterpart on CD and I'd love to listen to a "Original Film Recording" version of this score.

You know, I would have nothing against a newly expanded edition of Sabrina. The OST is a very good listening experience and it's a very nice piece on itself, but it's a very different presentation than what was written for the actual film. It reminds the concept of the soundtrack album of the 1960s.

Yes, thank God. I wonder if there's any way one can force 1960's soundtrack ideology onto contemporary times?

Yes, thank God. I wonder if there's any way one can force 1960's soundtrack ideology onto contemporary times?

Why?

Why?

Because then I can RULE THE WORLD!!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Why would I want to remove music by John Williams from a CD?

Because Amber Scott couldn't sing?

91_11.jpg

However, this is her now, according to IMDB:

44729.jpg

:drool:

:lol:

She looks like Denise Richards!

Anyway, the music is fantastic, but I just can't get into this movie. IMHO, one of the weakest Spielberg movies.

The film cues are quite different from their counterpart on CD and I'd love to listen to a "Original Film Recording" version of this score.

I'm sure it will eventually happen. I may not be around to see it, ;) but one I predict Williams fans will be playing it in whatever format is available at the time.

I fell in love with the Theme from Sabrina, and hence the film itself, from the moment the piano started playing over the Long Island montage at the beginning of the film the first time I saw it. I still love playing the theme on the piano any chance I get. And hearing Williams conduct it live at the Hollywood Bowl last year was one of the highlights of my three decades on the planet. What a fantastic score!

I fell in love with the Theme from Sabrina, and hence the film itself, from the moment the piano started playing over the Long Island montage at the beginning of the film the first time I saw it. I still love playing the theme on the piano any chance I get. And hearing Williams conduct it live at the Hollywood Bowl last year was one of the highlights of my three decades on the planet. What a fantastic score!

Is the Sabrina Main Theme, the original arrangement, for 1 or 2 pianos?

I'm not sure if there is a 2 piano arrangement, but I have the standard 1-piano sheet music. It's a beautiful arrangement and has all the major elements of the theme.

I'll add that it's slightly more difficult than the average Williams arrangement (e.g., more difficult than Raiders' March or Jurassic Park Theme, but less difficult than Tie Fighter Attack).

One piano. I have a recording of Williams himself playing it, with Seiji Ozawa conducting the Boston Symphony Orchestra. Amazing performance, even better than the soundtrack one.

I enjoy the movie as well.

One piano. I have a recording of Williams himself playing it, with Seiji Ozawa conducting the Boston Symphony Orchestra. Amazing performance, even better than the soundtrack one.

OK. The piano part is so complex, I've been wondering whether 2 pianos were utilized, kinda like with Dvorak's Slavonic Dances! :)

I'll add that it's slightly more difficult than the average Williams arrangement (e.g., more difficult than Raiders' March or Jurassic Park Theme, but less difficult than Tie Fighter Attack).

You mean difficult for the piano player? Or in general?

I don't think this is particularly difficult to play (not that it's easy, either).

Yes, I meant difficult for a piano player (I'm struggling to figure out what "in general" would mean). If you don't think it's particularly difficult to play, you are probably a good pianist.

I'm by no means a concert pianist, but I like to play. I buy a lot of sheet music and compilation piano books with Williams music in them, and I think Theme from Sabrina is more difficult than the average for his music. There are some of his songs that I can't play, or at least it would take me far too long than it's worth to learn. There are others that I could sight read. This is somewhere in the upper half of the spectrum.

Yes, I meant difficult for a piano player (I'm struggling to figure out what "in general" would mean). If you don't think it's particularly difficult to play, you are probably a good pianist.

I'm by no means a concert pianist, but I like to play. I buy a lot of sheet music and compilation piano books with Williams music in them, and I think Theme from Sabrina is more difficult than the average for his music. There are some of his songs that I can't play, or at least it would take me far too long than it's worth to learn. There are others that I could sight read. This is somewhere in the upper half of the spectrum.

By "in general" I meant, for all the players in the orchestra. :)

Well, for a JW piece, it might be slightly more difficult than what he usually writes, but if you are a professional pianist who plays Chopin, Mozart, Beethoven sonatas, etc., this is quite easy, actually. ;)

Just for the record: Williams plays the piano solo part on "Theme from Sabrina" on the OST as well :)

Ah, that is good to know. Makes it all the more meaningful.

By "in general" I meant, for all the players in the orchestra. :)

Well, for a JW piece, it might be slightly more difficult than what he usually writes, but if you are a professional pianist who plays Chopin, Mozart, Beethoven sonatas, etc., this is quite easy, actually. ;)

Ok, it all makes sense now.

Yes, of course for a real pianist it's all cake. For amateurs like me it takes a bit of work.