What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Oh I had the most annoying time in Metroid Prime last night.

Went to the last part of the snowy area that wasn't filled in on the map and found a boss there, defeated him and got the spider-ball.  Awesome!

You need to use the spider ball to leave his room, so I did and ended up in some new area of the lava cave region, which looked difficult... so I decided I didn't want to risk dying in this new area and having to fight the stupid boss again, so I turned around and went back to the boss room, then back out the way I came in to return to the save point not far from it that I had spawned from before coming here.  

Well, they filled in the route back with new sentry drones that almost killed me, and then space pirates that DID KILL ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WAS SO PISSED!  It's such poor game design to force you to have to do a bunch more combat just to save your damn game after defeating a boss.  So I had to start over and the fight the stupid boss ALL OVER AGAIN.  This time on my way back I dided to the sentry drones before I even got to the space pirates.  So I had to go back and FIGHT THE STUPID BOSS FOR A THIRD FREAKING TIME and this time the damn BOSS KILLED ME.

This is just terrible game design on every level.  I'm so turned off by this tomfoolery, I'm considering abandoning the game.  I get that this is a game from 2002 and they didn't have all the modern game design ideas like auto saving in place yet, but they could have done something about this for the remaster, like adding a save room off the boss room or something.

The boss isn't even fun, it's a long, annoying repetitive fight.  I have no interesting in doing it for a fourth freaking time.  What a joke.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Like adding a save room off the boss room or something.

There were TWO save points.

1: is right behind the elevator you come off of to go into that new portion of Magmoor Caverns.

"Transport to Phendrana Drifts South":

640px-Transport_to_Phendrana_Drifts_Sout

2: there is a save room in the Ruined Courtyard right across from the connecting hallway to Thardus.

maxresdefault.jpg

Right - that second save point is the one I was trying to go back to to save at, where I got killed twice on the way to

As for your 1st one - there was a save room behind the elevator and I missed it?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

OK I beat the boss again and went forward and this time found the save room :P 

Explored around with the spider-ball and got the ice beam too!

Been finding a lot of missile capacity upgrades lately.  After I found one of them, the game told me I've found 25% of all items...

Got the Gravity suit which seems cool-ish I guess; Will be nice to not be so hindered underwater, but also I don't feel like I've really come across THAT much water really.

Hopefully I get the grapple soon, I keep seeing the hooks in the ceiling for it everywhere

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

Got the Gravity suit which seems cool-ish I guess; Will be nice to not be so hindered underwater, but also I don't feel like I've really come across THAT much water really.

You will be. You will be.

On 27/03/2023 at 5:45 PM, Jay said:

Anyone play any dumb daily mobile games?  I can't believe I've been playing Fire Emblem Heroes daily for 6 years now.  Time flies

I don't think you're alone. Since the beginning of the pandemic, I've downloaded PUBG Mobile and I still can't give it up. Maybe it's because I have to commute for an hour every day and I need to pass the time.

On 03/03/2023 at 10:16 AM, Schilkeman said:

That's a way of putting it lol. Using FPGA, it's basically hardware emulation instead of software. It is, in effect, reproducing the games identically to original hardware, but with 1080p upscaling, and an ability to load roms. (It can play cartridges, too, obviously)

One of the benefits of using FPGA for gaming emulation is that it offers greater accuracy than software-based emulation. This is because FPGA is essentially creating a hardware replica of the original system, rather than attempting to simulate the hardware using software. This allows for more precise emulation of the original hardware's behavior, resulting in a more accurate reproduction of the game experience.

• 2 months later...

I am playing Star Wars Jedi Survivor.  Very much enjoying it but it will take me a long time to get through the whole thing.  Maybe all summer. I sometimes get lost and can't figure out what to do. 

1 hour ago, karelm said:

I sometimes get lost and can't figure out what to do. 

Me too, which is why I always have my phone near me to check Let's Plays on YouTube if I ever get lost.

• 3 weeks later...

It's currently getting a fan translation, which I'm looking forward to getting to when I can. In then meantime, here is a "review.," if you can call it as such, from the John Williams of video game commentators, Tim Rogers.

I’m currently playing Phantasy Star IV on my Mega SG. I got frustrated trying to play II, which has a rather obtuse opening , and decided there are too many A+ 16 but rpgs I haven’t played that I should play before I get to the middle-tier stuff.

So far, it’s very good. The encounters are snappy, and the overworld movement has a buttery smoothness that I find appealing.

• 1 month later...

Wow, so many big games have come out since this thread was last bumped.

SEA OF STARS

STARFIELD

OXENFREE 2

PIKMIN 4

BALDUR'S GATE 3

BLASPHEMOUS 2

What has JWFan been playing?  Share stories!

I've stuck for the past… *checks notes* 2 years in a weird mood where I can play only JRPG and at a very slow pace.

So I've completed Xenoblade Definitive Edition, Xenoblade 2: Torna, Xenoblade 2, Xenoblade 3, Xenoblade 3: Future Connected… and instead of playing any game on my "next-gen" consoles, I've started Octopath Traveler which I really, really, REALLY like.

In the background, probably because I'm so exhausted and I need sometimes on the "blockbuster" side, I'm halfway through God of War Ragnarök which, for me, feels just like the previous one: a game I don't adore, but whose qualities are compelling. This time around, I find the overall story even more scattered and messy than the first game, but again, very personal opinion.z

Most people would be like "play the base game first and the DLC second!!!" because it reveals a few key points of the story (including the bad guy).

But honestly, I found this order way more enthralling. It explains the backstory of the world, it explains who are some of the main characters, it gives a bit more emotional reveal to some scenes IMO. The game stands on its own and even if the middle part is exhausting, honestly it's worth pushing a bit until you reach the last third. Then, it's truly amazing. 

Cool, thanks for that.  I've actually attempted to start it (Torna) twice, and got befuddled by the battle system and gave up.  Want to give it a third try some day

I think X2 has the best combat system and by best I mean the most complex. Torna is the better version of that system, but it also starts right away, without the learning curve. It can be a bit daunting.

Yea that's the problem, I felt like I was thrown into things without much of a tutorial.

At the time, Xeno 1 hadn't been ported to Switch yet.  But maybe now that it has, I'll start there.

It's the right way to start, IMO. Again, like the 2 other games, it requires a bit of patience to reach the "good stuff". The good news is, in X1, the "good stuff" is very early, probably around 15-20h.

I played Stray last month. I absolutely loved it, gorgeous, adorable, but also rich in worldbuilding, themes and story, a great polished concise experience. The way the cat mechanics I thought were just fun novelty bullshit actually integrated into the gameplay surprised me a lot. Can only recommend!

On 07/09/2023 at 4:35 AM, MaxMovieMan said:

Playing Starfield now. It’s pretty fun but definitely feels like a 100% pure 2010s Bethesda game with all that entails. I’m having a blast with it despite its flaws.

I agree, that's my only main criticism, that it doesn't feel "new" enough. It reminds me of the time I first played Skyrim, but god that was 12 years ago now! :eek:

Starfield didn’t grab me like Fallout or Elder Scrolls. I’ve heard from podcasters though that it’s a slow start and is better to mainline the story first. Not a traditional BGS game in the sense of being able to wander wherever you want at any time. I’m very early in the game but don’t really have an urge to play it.

I started Sea Of Stars and been enjoying that a lot. Art and music are wonderful.

Before those two I played Sundered. Fantastic rogue like metroidvania. Made by Thunder Lotus, the team behind Spiritfarer, which is a game I fell in love with earlier this year. Beautiful hand drawn animation in all their games. 

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Do you like or dislike that aspect of it? 

I’m fine with it. You can completely ignore it, if you want. The game lets you know it’s not expected for you to do it every single time. They built in a lot of accessibility features to make the game easier for those that want a different experience. There’s an “amulet of storytelling” that lets you customize the difficulty in different ways. 

• 4 weeks later...

Finally finished Xenoblade 3.  A really enjoyable experience overall but that ending was stanky-ass bad.  A literal 3 hour, 11 stage boss fight sandwiched between long unskippable cutscenes.  In general I loved it's more directional turned based combat system but boss fights often turn into bullet sponge everything-in-the-kitchen-sink approach without much strategy.  

The music was great and I liked the story (though it started repeating itself after a while doing the hero/side missions)

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wow that ending sounds rough!

Yea, the music's great!

Even with the ending though and certain other parts it was still one of the more enjoyable games I've played recently.  Got like 120 hours doing the various side and hero quests

After almost an year without playing a game, I finally got God of War: Ragnarok on PS5. It's as good as the 2018 GoW (one of my favorite games of the PS4 generation), maybe the combat mechanics is even better. I'm still early on the game though.

Also, I intend to get Marvel's Spiderman 2, Horizon: Forbidden West and the new SW Jedi (all sequels from games I really enjoyed on PS4).

I paid for the expansion set of Forza Horizon 5 because I wanted to play that hotwheels game.  After playing the Mexico race for hours, I can't play hotwheels game because it's locked.  No explanation of what to do and it's driving me crazy so I'm requesting a refund.  I don't understand why they sell expansion games that might be the only thing I wanted to play and don't allow you to play it without doing something but never explaining what you need to do but you have to play it for hours and hours first before you can play that expansion you bought.  

• 1 month later...

God of War Ragnarok

God_of_War_Ragnar%C3%B6k_cover.jpg

The 2018 GoW was one of my favorite games of the PS4 generation. Such a cool journey through the Norse mythology, a world filled with wonders and dangers alike, that promised an epic confrontation with the Nordic pantheon. 

This sequel, however, is definetly not as good as the previous one. Some aspects are improved, like the gameplay. The combat was already cool in the 2018 game and in this one is even better and more fluid. Also, you get to play with Atreus and what could've been a dull distraction from just slaughtering every enemy as Kratos to playing with a significantly weaker character (kinda like the dreaded Mary Jane parts in 2018 Spiderman) are actually a very entertaining departure from the rest of the game. Atreus' gameplay is more magic and bow-focused and it's a nice spin on the GoW formula.

The technical parts are great, all the Nine Realms are beautiful on the PS5. McCreary's score is great, especially during the last act of the game, though it over-relies at bit on choir. His end credits song with Hozier is awesome.

However, the game falls a bit short of its predecessor on the story and the writing. For a game about the Ragnarok, the narrative doesn't have a lot of urgency. It barely feels like the end of the world. Some parts drag quite a bit and even are a bit silly. Atreus' adventures on Asgard feel like something straight out of Percy Jackson or something, like a 2000s fantasy book for pre-teens and not something you'd find in an "adult and mature" videogame. 

The plot goes back and forth between the realms and you hardly think it's going to culminate in an epic confrontation. It feels unnervingly small at times.

But that's not to say it's all bad. The emotional parts are great and the character arcs are well done. You really feel involved by this cast of characters. The ending with a viking funeral (not gonna say of whom :P) left me with a tear or two in my eyes. 

In the end, it's a good game... But it falls short of the promises set up by the previous game. In Star Wars terms, Ragnarok is kinda like Return of the Jedi to 2018's Empire Strikes Back :lol:.

Final Fantasy Origins Strangers of Paradise.

I dunno , the combat is pretty cool and challenging and the graphics are pretty but it's a "missions" type game with set linear levels that brings you back to the main map when you finish, so no towns to explore or things to do in between except an option to upgrade your gear (which are Diablo style drops so upgrading anything is pretty useless) . At some point I wanted to to be over with. 

One thing is the final boss is hard and you lose all your party members for that fight an have to do it alone. Not a big fan of this type of design. Took me 2 hours for the final boss.

51 hours playthrough. There's post game stuff but I've had enough.

• 2 months later...

Finished two pleasant puzzle games this past week or two, both mainly focused on and exploring a single gimmick.

Cocoon has its separate worlds as orbs you can carry to use the different abilities they grant you, or jump into them carrying other orbs, or orbs within orbs. The layered multiworld interactions get pretty involved by the end, and I loved the insectpunk aesthetic.

Chants of Senaar revolves around understanding and translating the language and glyphs of multiple cultures living segregated on levels of a huge tower from scratch, and eventually bringing them together. Making progress is very satisfying!

Both are nice and breezy, no strict handholding but intuitive design that mostly leads you to the answer without too much frustration. A refreshing change of pace after finally finishing GTA:SA for the first time in my life in a 60+ hour run.