What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

As far as I recall, it was in The Spy Who Loved Me, blows up when a henchman tries to break into it in FYEO and then Bond gets a replacement Turbo Espirit later in that film.     

55 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I was wondering.

A View To A Kill doesn't really have any nice cars, it wasn't until 1987 and the leaner, tougher Dalton that 007 got  some cool wheels again!

Aston_Martin_V8_Vantage_Volante_-_Profile.png

This one's back in No Time To Die, despite Bond self-destructing it in Daylights. All hail the 'magic' of a reboot timeline!  

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Did they recast M again?

Oh, fuck! Prince M. There goes the franchise. I suppose that Camilla is the new Moneypenny?

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Q must have fixed it!

I said "Bring it back in one piece", not "Bring back one piece".

13 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Which MCU films have you seen?

IRON-MAN,

THE INCREDIBLE HULK,

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER,

CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR.

That's it :(

Ps, the DVD had been sold. Bastard.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

It won't be that generation that decides my point.  

Exactly. All these Marvel films are competently made entertainment designed to make their lucre for Disney and nothing more. They’re certainly not designed to linger in the collective memory. Consider: It took two dozen of those films to get us to the Thanos snap, which was a decent, if not overly spectacular turning point, considering how it was reversed in the very next film and then turned into a throwaway joke in the one right after that. Cinema for the ages, it ain’t. 

5 hours ago, Bayesian said:

It took two dozen of those films to get us to the Thanos snap, which was a decent, if not overly spectacular turning point, considering how it was reversed in the very next film and then turned into a throwaway joke in the one right after that. Cinema for the ages, it ain’t. 

Because we got used to no-one dying in these films, Infinity War felt bloody by comparison, even though - by comparison with other tentpoles - it really wasn’t.

220px-Out_of_africa_poster.jpg

Elephantine length, and lazily paced (and Redford's role remains a cipher). But it's worth it for the wonderful location shooting and the 15 minutes worth of Barry's score when it becomes really sumptuous.

3 minutes ago, publicist said:

Elephantine length, and lazily paced[...]But it's worth it for the wonderful location shooting.

Sydney Pollack was really letting his David Lean show there.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The idea that Endgame will be forgotten is pretty obviously laughable.  That movie will be a cultural touchstone for an entire generation whether you like it or not.

Until the next one comes out.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The only thing that ENDGAME will be, is "the most successful film ever released".

Until James Cameron does a re-release of Avatar ahead of the sequel.

The first one was really funny as part of a crowd at the theatre. And at least mildly amusing at home, even though it was less the jokes then and more the fun of puzzling together what happened. The second one had barely any funny moments at all. Plenty that were quite offensive without being funny though, so that made the whole thing rather disgusting. I still have to watch #3.

The Living Daylights

The-Living-Daylights-122.jpg

After a fairly rough send-off for Roger Moore, Bond is back with a vengeance in Daltonian form and holy shit is it good. Those opening adventures and main title sequences are a classic staple of 007 movies and here the tone is once again perfectly set with arguably one of the very best in the series. An exciting sequence of a training exercise gone wrong with a real assassin crashing the party and suddenly, Bond gives chase, sends the baddie flying off a cliff, escapes with a parachute and lands on a willing babe's boat. Cue the a-ha song, which is also one of the best in the series.

This to me was the perfect way to refresh everything. Bond is younger, but not too young, and more accurate to the tone of the books (That being said, Roger was more fun, no pun intended, and my favorite), Moneypenney is a young hot blonde babe, John Barry is back, the pacing is more exciting for most of the flick and overall everything feels new but the same.

People have historically criticized this version of Bond because he's too serious. Is he too boring after the exhausting charm and light-heartedness of the Moore ones? I don't know. I've always maintained that, as with the Batman series where you have various takes on the character with wildly varying tones, as long as it's entertaining, it's valid. TLD is extremely entertaining. I just think Dalton is a supreme badass smoking cigarettes, wearing nice leather and bomber jackets and acting like an asshole.

Another thing that really works for this one is the storyline, which is usually the same in every one, where some villain has a superweapon or something. Here, the stakes aren't that high. Bond's trying to bring in a phoney defector and using his cute cellist girlfriend to find him. There is a deeper storyline, but it doesn't matter, as with many of the 007 movies. The supporting characters are awesome. There's an agent that's at odds with Bond and then collaborates with him, learns he was on to something in a Jawsian Quint asking Hooper for suggestions moment and is suddenly killed by the bad guys--this is great writing. It even has one of those classic "You lied to me!" scenes when the girl finds out Bond has been using her to get to the bad guy.

The Dalton ones have been compared to the Craig movies, but I think these are way more fun than those. There's an extremely awesome ridiculous car scene that would never be done in the Craig universe. This is why these are better. They're decidedly more serious, but still fun. You'd never see Craig chop a car up with a laser. By the way, that's still one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Also, a bit where Bond makes an escape on rooftops and an orchestral rendition of the a-ha theme plays is also one of the coolest things I've ever seen/heard. My issue with this one has always been the scenes in Afghanistan. The pacing is so perfect up until there and suddenly it becomes rather unexciting, although the writing is still solid here with yet another memorable supporting character and a tidy Bondian resolution.

Still, this is one of the best 007 flicks.

Greta

Why does everyone else rate this one so low? I thought it was awesome! These stalker flicks aren't really meant to conform to absolute logic anyway, they're more about exploiting and examining our anxieties, rational or not, which is why the genre thrives. I've seen a ton of these sorts of flicks from the Lifetime network, but none of them had Isabelle Huppert hamming it up so memorably.