What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

14 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

MV5BMzNkYmEyOGItNWZiOS00NzMxLWFhNjktMzhh

A sanitized Hollywood version of the story of Christ.

Spectacular, but I personally think it relied much on unwanted scenes like the two battles with Barabbas, the Roman centurion etc..

I think I prefer The Greatest Story ever told, and certainly Jesus of Nazareth.

And of course, above all, I love The Passion of Christ, for the depiction of Christ's last hours. I couldn't understand in the other versions the degree of his martyrdom.

I still have The Last Temptation of Christ on my watch list. Never seen it.

Just now, GerateWohl said:

Hmmmmm... I should watch that one too. I have it watched once many years ago and I don't remember anything.

Easter is coming here in Greece in one week or so, and I have started watching biblical and other related films.

4 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I have and I was bored. I haven’t read Kazantzakis’ novel, but I plan to.

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

MV5BMzNkYmEyOGItNWZiOS00NzMxLWFhNjktMzhh

Ah! "I was A Teenage Jesus" :lol:

The film is less about Christ, and more about people's reaction to him. It concentrates on what's going on around Jesus, rather than his ministry.

I always find the last shot of the shadow making a cross on the beach, quite moving.

As far as fictionalised accounts of the life of Christ go, then JESUS OF NAZARETH is the gold standard.

THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST is a decent attempt to depict both the divine and the human sides of Jesus as two halves of the same whole, in a clumsy effort to have them in conflict with each other. Of course, regarding Jesus, both the book and the film miss the point by a country mile, but that's not the point. They point to the divine and the diabolic in all of us. The film still remains among Scorsese's finest.

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The film still remains among Scorsese's finest.

And now he'll make a straight-up Jesus film, maybe to make up with the Catholic church for TLTOC.

IMG_0242.jpeg
The kind of movie you can’t remember five minutes after having seen it. 

Yes, it was watchable, but totally forgettable. 

The village. SPOILERS!!!!

The film certainly provides lots of food for thought and obviously Rotten Tomatoes proves how utterly useless it is yet again. The casting is great as well, with special mentions for BDH and William Hurt. The whole vision of the elders is flawed, though: we’ll run away from violence in society by pretending we’re a century earlier and threaten inhabitants with violence so that they don’t leave the village, although I guess that’s part of their trauma.

Okay, well, now the elephant in the room. The score. I had already heard the Gravel Road in concert, conducted by none other than the man himself, but knowing what the Gravel Road actually is, totally changes things, of course. No movie deserves such beautiful music. The desperation, the yearning… I could continue to try and find words, but nothing I write will ever do justice to it. Somebody expand it NOW so I can buy it.

And thanks to the audio-describer who went out of his way not to clearly state that Ivy was blind. God, I hate it when they do that. It wouldn’t have killed me.

I didn't buy the premise of The Village, and, as usual, Shyamalan never bothers to make things believable. Oddly enough, Unbreakable, with the exception of the family scenes, is his most believable movie, which is probably due to the core idea of making superheroes more realistic, and thus more believable.

On 25/04/2024 at 8:28 PM, filmmusic said:

Hmmmmm... I should watch that one too. I have it watched once many years ago and I don't remember anything.

Easter is coming here in Greece in one week or so, and I have started watching biblical and other related films.

It's an incredible movie. One of Scorsese's best. 

Oh, I have lots of love for THE SIXTH SENSE, but not as much love as I have for SIGNS, and THE VILLAGE :)

Come to think of it, I need to rewatch TSS.

Part of my work with children is to to teach them how to connect; with the world, with others, and with themselves. At the heart of the film is a mother and son who, despite desperately wanting to, don't know how to relate to each other.

Yes, I'll watch again, asap, and, hopefully, get some ideas.

Thanks for the tip, @filmmusic.

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

No love for The 6th Sense?

None whatsoever.

9 hours ago, filmmusic said:

@bollemanneke maybe you should spoiler tag your post, in case someone hasn't seen the movie?

Oops, good point!

1 hour ago, A24 said:

I didn't buy the premise of The Village, and, as usual, Shyamalan never bothers to make things believable. Oddly enough, Unbreakable, with the exception of the family scenes, is his most believable movie, which is probably due to the core idea of making superheroes more realistic, and thus more believable.

It's an incredible movie. One of Scorsese's best. 

I read a lot about how the premise is unbelievable, but it really worked for me.

revenge.jpg

Wow, I didn't know there was such hardcore nudity in this film (I watched the Director's Cut). Madeleine Stowe was hot as f. The film was OK, kind of like a modern Shakespearean tragedy. 

Can vaguely remember reviews of the time saying that what Quinn's character does to them (especially Stowe's character) is particularly vicious.   

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Think she's hot as f. in this?

Try UNLAWFUL ENTRY.

Two words, dude: red Speedo.

Thanks, will check it out.

But have you seen the DC of Revenge? Heck, she’s not wearing ANYTHING.

5 hours ago, A24 said:

It's been years since I last saw The Village, but I always liked it. It may not be believable from the outside, but it managed to keep me in a POV where I believe it from within the story.

It also looks gorgeous. I think it was the first time I became consciously aware of Deakins back in the day.

2 hours ago, JTN said:

Thanks, will check it out.

But have you seen the DC of Revenge? Heck, she’s not wearing ANYTHING.

Sometimes, it's what people cover up - and how they do it - that makes them desirable.

21 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Sometimes, it's what people cover up - and how they do it - that makes them desirable.

Absolutely. Less is more (sensual). 

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Oh, I have lots of love for THE SIXTH SENSE, but not as much love as I have for SIGNS, and THE VILLAGE :)

Interesting.

I like Signs very, very much. But The Sixth Sense to me is one of the most perfected, creative uses of the cinema medium, and one of the most touching little dramas I've ever seen.

IMG_0247.jpeg

I watched the trilogy, it’s consistently good. Films like these are great for the soul. Simple but all the more important values that remind us what’s truly important in life. And I really liked Armand Amar’s main theme and scores. 

3 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Another wonderful religious epic

I read somewhere that it's the most colossal ever.

1 minute ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I read somewhere that it's the most colossal ever.

Well, it might have been up to that point (1951), I don't know..

11 hours ago, JTN said:

IMG_0247.jpeg

I watched the trilogy, it’s consistently good. Films like these are great for the soul. Simple but all the more important values that remind us what’s truly important in life. And I really liked Armand Amar’s main theme and scores. 

The poster looks like a Peter spin-off from Heidi.

I re-watched SHAUN OF THE DEAD a couple days ago.

image.png

Ouch! It really didn't age well.

I used to be a fan, but so many gags either aren't funny or are problematic to today standards.

And the editing feels very amateurish. It felt like I was watching a student film.

There are stil a few moments that work and brought a smile to my face but that's it.

It was all the craze back then. However, I couldn't see what the fuzz was all about and so I switched it off. I don't think laughing with zombies is good comedy. 

I like Shaun, but I first saw it years after everyone else and thought it was good, but not as brilliant or singular as everyone else seemed to think. It's good, but Hot Fuzz is better.

11 hours ago, A24 said:

I don't think laughing with zombies is good comedy. 

Have you seen Peter Jackson's Braindead? Brillant comedy. Brillant zombie movie at the same time.

No, I haven't seen that. I tried to watch that zombie comedy with Woody Harrelson but I didn't make to the end. I simply don't see the appeal of zombie comedies.

11 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

... Hot Fuzz is better.

Yeah! :thumbup:

It's definitely the best of the Cornetto Trilogy.

12 hours ago, Steffromuk said:

There are still a few moments that work and brought a smile to my face but that's it.

The "throwing the records" scene still makes me cry with laughter.

"Purple Rain?"

"No."

"Sign O' The Times?"

"Definitely not."

"BATMAN Soundtrack?"

"Throw it."

ROTFLMAO

1 hour ago, A24 said:

No, I haven't seen that. I tried to watch that zombie comedy with Woody Harrelson but I didn't make to the end. I simply don't see the appeal of zombie comedies.

This is a little bit like "I never watched Jaws, but tried to watch several shark movies and switched all off after half an hour, so I see no point in ever watching Jaws."

Braindead was the first (apart from Bad Taste probably) and the best on a whole different level.

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Have you seen Peter Jackson's Braindead? Brillant comedy. Brillant zombie movie at the same time.

I try to forget that Peter Jackson made movies before HEAVENLY CREATURES. :)