What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Are you fucking kidding me!

He must have done something right. They cast Daniel Craig after that. If he did a good job you'd get a Pierce Brosnan again!

You should be thankful for that!

Karol

DOLLAR$ - 1971

One of those caper movies that bloomed in the 60's (OCEAN'S ELEVEN, TOPKAPI, ITALIAN JOB) and got more hip in the early 70's. This one was made by Richard Brooks - by this time not knowing that the acclaimed filmic translation of Capote's IN COLD BLOOD would be his last major and influential success - and it's a slick movie that has it's up's (Goldie Hawn-Gert Froebe/Candyman) and downs (the final act is as drawn out as the three endings of ROTK) but gains a lot by its unusual location (Hamburg) and a lot of sleazy ideas that were novel back then (like backroom dealings between Tarantinoesque gangster characters in strip clubs, this movie sure was analyzed thoroughly by said director).

Sadly the hero Warren Beatty (which i often find a competent but bland-in-a-Brad-Pitt-kind-of-way actor) is a bit too cute and the moral attitude (steal but only from sleazebags) comes off as too simplistic goody two shoes in a moral complex and decayed capitalist world the film describes. All in all still good for one viewing and preferrable to hipster stick like the Soderbergh OCEAN remakes.

My god, I haven't seen that movie since the '70s. It's a shame they don't show movies like these anymore on TV because it's deemed too old for the general public.

Alex

Just watched the opening fifteen minutes of Hobbit AUJ on Netflix. Why does everything have a muddy glow, as if it's been smeared in Vaseline? I think this is the worst shot movie I've ever seen, I can't get through it. My eyes see the bastard child of a rejected fantasy animation jointly produced by Pixar and LucasArts. Its aesthetic is thoroughly repulsive. And why is there a enormous exposition dump right from the off which takes the simple setup of the book and smashes it into a heaving behemoth of a dwarven backstory that is awfully contrived and feels painfully forced? The sets here look like video game cutscenes and the extras look like they're straight out of a glossy stage production which got panned by critics. And then, even while we're still waiting for the fucking movie to start with Gandalf's originally legendary arrival at Bag End, I still have to endure the inclusion of Frodo in a dragged out scene which only embarrasses Holm and Wood due to their utter pointlessness together in this movie. Already it felt like I'd been watching for ages and yet the boring bloat just refused to fuck off. I couldn't press stop quick enough.

Movie is a massive artificial turd which burns and stings as it passes through the eye.

You've just summed up my biggest problems with that film's opening so eloquently with this paragraph. This will now by my new reference quote for all of the film's fanboy defenders!

The Trip (2011)

Edited down film version of the Michael Winterbottom comedy starring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon as theirselfs.

Coogan is in a point in his life where his Hollywood career isnt really lifting of and his relationship is failing (we're on a hiatus).

He goes on a food trip through the North of England eith fellow comedian and (sort of) mate Rob Bryden,

The natural rivalry between them is both o source of welcome distraction to Coogan as an annoyance. Because Bryden often comes of as the better impersonator of celebs, certainly the more eager one. And while Coogan's live and career isnt going as well as he wants to, Bryden seems perfectly happily married, well adjusted and he is actually more in the limelight as a performer.

Both Coogan and Briden give excellent performances as versions of themselves, with especially Coogan painting a not always flattering portrayal of himself, and a man who's deeply insecure. Yearning for his girlfriend, yet at the same time sleeps around with other women.

Bryden doesnt seem to have any such issues, and uses this trip to relish in his love for impersonations, especially his impressive Michael Caine. He also has a habbit of subtly sticking the knife of Coogan's slightly depressed state in a bit deeper.

Unlike most movies where the characters go on a road trip they dont arrive back home unchanged with a new perspective on live. This may not make for the most exiting movie ending, but it is actually quite realistic.

The part where Coogan reads the imaginary tabloid headline about himself cracked me up!

Btw, in case you didn't know, the bit where he cries out A-HAAAAaaaa on the hill is a reference to his Alan Partridge character. The two season series which is surely making its way nearer towards your watch schedule.

You are far from the first.

Beverly Hills Cop

With Eddie Murphy in great form in his signature role of Axel Foley.

The script though is born out of constant rewrites and it shows. (lots of the dialogue was either rewritten or improvised when Stallone left the movie and Murphy stepped in)

The plot is all pretty standard cop movie stuff. featuring revenge, drug smuggling, a smiley English villain or a few violent shoot outs.

The film is entertaining though because of it's character scenes. Murphy exudes great confidence and bad-assness, even in silly scenes that require him to be obnoxious. (and are frankly unbelievable. there's no way a Beverly Hills hotel would put up a black man in a room without checking his credentials because he screamed racism)

Apart from Murphy the film also has a comic duo of cops, well played by John Ashton and Judge Reinhold.

The score became quite famous, but it really isnt my thing. The slick 80's beats rob many of the darker scenes of any tension they may have had.

Still very fun to watch though.

The Adjustment Bureau

The premise is sort of interesting, but the sci-fi-wrapped execution was just silly. It's a free-will vs destiny story, but it has some tosh about a 'plan' and lots of men in bowler hats in place of the latter. Not boring really - just a lot of eye-rolling when I realised the many tired plot devices they were using.

Newman's music was effective, although I only wanted one cue (the dance scene, for anyone who's seen it) as music afterwards.

Master and Commander: Far Side of the World

Wow. They sure don't make films like this anymore. Really enjoyed it. Can't believe it took me this long to finally check it out.

Wow. They sure don't make films like this anymore. Really enjoyed it. Can't believe it took me this long to finally check it out.

Great picture right? Glad Lee mentioned it.

Wow. They sure don't make films like this anymore.

That's when you're supposed to say: "If they were to make this today, they would film half-a-boat in front of a green screen, and Paul Bettany would play a CG character with a CG cello. Half of the crew would be CG, too."

Peter Jackson presents Master and Commander 2: The Trilogy

Great picture right? Glad Lee mentioned it.

Yeah! Lee and Chaac have been vouching for it for quite a while, but I never managed to get to it till now.

Part of me thinks it was a little bit of a shame that they changed the enemy ship from American to French. Not that it mattered in the end I suppose but them chasing Americans in the book made for good reading. Think it was part of Patrick O'Brian's 1812b.

I think it was the reason given or rather, not offend the Americans.

But I guess looking at the movie, the French make so little of it until the very end it's a moot point. But still, more Aubrey films in some form might have been quite something.

For Easter I watched Ben-Hur a Tale of the Christ. New films wished they looked as good.

Yeah I watched Ben-Hur and Groundhog Day today. Both get and 8/10 from me but were completely opposite experiences (of course) : With Ben-Hur I had great expectations and those expectations were met but the section after the chariot race till the end left me very dissapointed. With Groundhog I wasn't expecting much and as the film progressed it totally won me over.

Both great in their own ways.

Gravity

Sandra Bullock carries the film, and while that's a personal problem for me considering I can't stand her, it really doesn't stop it from being a technical masterpiece and overall taut thriller. I watched it in 3D; my first home experience of the format and probably my last (may give my 3D copy of Prometheus a spin at some point). It did nothing to sway my stance on the format. In the theater it gave a great sense of depth and detail in certain shots and aspects, but I've found that it's really just a placebo effect. After watching it in 3D, the immediate 2D images had more clarity and warmth to them. It just looked more realistic, honestly. Speaking of which, Gravity has the best special effects in any movie... ever. The making of documentary, slightly longer than the film itself, was a fantastic watch that showed just how ridiculously difficult it was to do. It's my new tech demo for the foreseeable future. Oh, and while the screenplay was subtitled "A Space Thriller In 3D," no where did they ever mention 3D in the entire doc.

Divergent

It's not a bad film.... a pretty solid premise with top-of-the-line talent in supporting roles. Great career move for Shailene Woodley, and she delivers. Broad comparisons to The Hunger Games aside, Tris Prior is a completely different character from Katniss -- attitude, circumstances, family history. Theo James isn't quite as good, but he's got solid chemistry with Woodley and he's photogenic. Tony Goldwyn and Ashley Judd give warmth and gravitas as Tris' parents, but I wasn't impressed with Kate Winslet's Jeanine. Maybe it was the script or the fact the production had to film Winslet's scenes first to accommodate her pregnancy, but she wasn't that menacing at all. It's a waste of Winslet's talents if she doesn't get more to do in Insurgent.

Production values were good too. I wasn't that impressed with Junkie XL's work here like in 300: Rise of an Empire, but there are some solid cues throughout. Especially the climatic cue "You're Not Gonna Like This". Not bad.

I didn't see Divergent, but 2 days ago I heard the score by Junkie XL (with the participation of Zimmer, though...) and I liked the simple theme and a few electronic drum moments !

Yesterday I saw for the first time Spirited Away: A young girl with her parents move into a town and on the road, they lost in a little path. However, the parents decide to enter beneath a bridge (that they discovered a few minute before). They entered in a strange landscape and the parents turn into pigs (I let you discover why). Chihiro has to find a job with people who aren't human to take back her parents.

I liked the colors of the movie ! It's really beautiful ! And the movie is full of references of our society and human actions.

(sorry for mistakes in my syntax or grammary... I'd be glad if you can correct me !)

Despicable Me - had never seen it before, and as a bit of fun to pass a quiet holiday weekend afternoon it certainly hit the spot. Awww, minions!

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - while the 'Spidey does his thang' stuff is spectacular and fun to watch, the 'Peter Parker and his angsty relationships' stuff is draggy and dull and threatens to grind the whole movie to a halt at times. And in a 2 hour and 20 minute movie, there ain't enough of the former ... the Captain America sequel cracked along at a much better pace, IMHO.

Yesterday I saw for the first time Spirited Away: A young girl with her parents move into a town and on the road, they lost in a little path. However, the parents decide to enter beneath a bridge (that they discovered a few minute before). They entered in a strange landscape and the parents turn into pigs (I let you discover why). Chihiro has to find a job with people who aren't human to take back her parents.

I liked the colors of the movie ! It's really beautiful ! And the movie is full of references of our society and human actions.

Herosix, here's my revised version of your text:

Yesterday I saw Spirited Away for the first time: A young girl with her parents move into a town, and they become lost on a little path. However, the parents decide to head beneath a bridge (that they discovered a few minutes before). They enter into a strange landscape and the parents turn into pigs (I'll let you discover why). Chihiro has to find a job working for people who aren't human, in order to bring back her parents.

I liked the colour pallet of the movie, it's really beautiful! The film is full of parallels to our society and human actions.

The main changes are pronouns, plurals, subordinate clauses and some additional or alternative words.

Herosix, here's my revised version of your text:

Yesterday I saw Spirited Away for the first time: A young girl with her parents move into a town, and they become lost on a little path. However, the parents decide to head beneath a bridge (that they discovered a few minutes before). They enter into a strange landscape and the parents turn into pigs (I'll let you discover why). Chihiro has to find a job working for people who aren't human, in order to bring back her parents.

I liked the colour pallet of the movie, it's really beautiful! The film is full of parallels to our society and human actions.

The main changes are pronouns, plurals, subordinate clauses and some additional or alternative words.

Thank you a lot for your work :)

But if you want to do the same thing another time, please do it in a private message (to steer clear of the thread).

Stephancos: Maybe, but I ask myself in a previous post that I wanted from you to correct me if it's necessary. Mr. Shark do it properly (besides I learnt new english sentence constructions !).

Now, come back to the original thread...

Someone's always on the look out for the dreaded future conditional pluperfect subjunctive. But anyone who is a Fringe fan is okay in my book.

Spirited Away is a delightful movie, one of Miyazaki's best. The english voice dub was nicely done.

Another obvious example of the thinly veiled racism that some of out English or American born members show against those for who English is but a second language.

Mr. Shark, your behavior is appalling!

It was. It is!

Well, the French nation consists mainly of peasants and communists, so you are forgiven.....

... This is unfortunately one of the worse cliché of the French nation (and we have a lot...). But it's not true (when you say communist, you speak - of course - of Marine Lepen right ?).

But I admit I live in Normandy, and there are too many peasants and farmers therefore it stinks each day... I'll NEVER become like that, and I mean it.

Someone's always on the look out for the dreaded future conditional pluperfect subjunctive. But anyone who is a Fringe fan is okay in my book.

Spirited Away is a delightful movie, one of Miyazaki's best. The english voice dub was nicely done.

Fringe was one of my first series thoroughly watched in English without subtitles. And it was a marvelous experience so that I became quickly a fan ! And you ?

Concerning Hobbit Miyazaki's films, is it right his films are very good ?

Fringe was one of my first series thoroughly watched in English without subtitles. And it was a marvelous experience so that I became quickly a fan ! And you ?

Yes, I am a big fan of the show, and have the complete series on DVD. The 5th season could have been better, but I have to credit Fox for sticking with the show as long as they did.

Concerning Hobbit Miyazaki's films, is it right his films are very good ?

Yes, check out Princess Mononoke, Ponyo, and My Neighbor Totoro