What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

4 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

That's one lousy poster design.

It's actually quite good.

4 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

And with his name nearly as big as the title, why didn't they just call it "Kevin Costner's Waterworld"! lol

Costnerworld.

7 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

That's one lousy poster design.

I agree. It was the 90s when poster art took a nosedive for large dark areas and early photoshopped floating heads.   Illustration and painting became old fashioned. 

Office Space - 25 years on, Mike Judge's corporate satire still feels funny and relevant. Mind you, I guess people doing jobs they can just about tolerate in order to pay the bills will probably always be a thing. With Ron Livingston, Jennifer Aniston and Gary Cole.  

I watched Silent Running last night. It wasn't a great movie, perhaps not even a good one, but at least it was original. And, especially these days, there's something admirable about that. I quite liked the music, both score and songs.

Karol

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

I watched Silent Running last night. It wasn't a great movie, perhaps not even a good one, but at least it was original. And, especially these days, there's something admirable about that. I quite liked the music, both score and songs.

I watched that a while ago, and was disappointed. It's original, but it doesn't come together as a film, or even as a narrative. I found the songs (and iirc score) rather out of place, too. And the one thing I thought could certainly be expected - it didn't even look very good.

Dora and the lost city of gold. I like Sammy. Inca finale is a bit stupid.

The score is really good. Debney continues to surprise. Some action material gave me Gladiator vibes and some of the more solemn cues gave me JW vibes. There’s a theme that’s stuck in my head now and I SWEAR I know it from somewhere else and I can’t remember what it is and it’s driving me mad. God!

50/50 (2011)

image-w1280.jpg

It's good. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is convincing and Seth Rogen is funny. I would say Anna Kendrick is pretty but meh ... 7/10

Is Long Shot (also directed by Jonathan Levine) any good? 

long-shot-ver4.jpg

47 minutes ago, A24 said:

I'm not generally much of a fan of this sort of film, but I've seen both 50/50 and Long Shot. From my (significantly faded) memories I feel more positive about 50/50, though only slightly. I remember Long Shot being a lot more laugh-out-loud funny - and probably better for a substantial part of its runtime - but, ultimately, disappointingly corny and conventional.

2 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I'm not generally much of a fan of this sort of film, but I've seen both 50/50 and Long Shot. From my (significantly faded) memories I feel more positive about 50/50, though only slightly. I remember Long Shot being a lot more laugh-out-loud funny - and probably better for a substantial part of its runtime - but, ultimately, disappointingly corny and conventional.

Long Shot also has a lower score in IMDb. 

50/50: 7.6/10

Long Shot: 6.8/10

I did not like Levine's Warm Bodies though so maybe I should just forget about this guy. :(

North by Northwest!

Big screen! Excellent sound! (I swear, every time I see a Fathom event that doesn't suck I get madder and madder about how terrible it was seeing Star Trek: The Motion Picture Director's Edition.)

This movie is a classic for a reason. All the performances are top notch. The script crackles. The cinematography is next level. Even my teenagers liked it.

School of Rock is excellent. Jack Black was born to play that role. 

7 hours ago, A24 said:

Long Shot, however, is not excellent. Aggressively not funny.  In fact, it's pretty much unwatchable, IMO.