What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I watch at least one film per day (now that I won't have work for 2,5 months since schools closed, maybe 2).
And every day the same problem! What to watch!! :P

This period I'm watching summer-y films of course.

Tonight it's between these:

Jurassic Park, Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome, Rear Window.

(Slight spoilers for Ghostbusters: Afterlife and Stranger Things season 4).

Finally got round to Ghostbusters: Afterlife which I thoroughly enjoyed. I haven't seen the original movies in years, but it felt sufficiently like a long lost 80s movie (albeit with modern visual effects, which were mostly pretty great and felt stylistically authentic) right down to Rob Simonsen's score which basically reworks much of Elmer Bernstein's original material. My only gripe there is that Elmer's credit is tucked away alongside the songs at the end of the credits and not in the main credits below Simonsen (if this were a JW scored original, for example, you bet his name would there alongside in the main credits).

The film itself was a lot of fun, especially the snarky dialogue between the kids and their mother which felt plausible but without being mean spirited (as it were) or falling too far into the kind of humorous banter people only have in movies. Having just finished Stranger Things season 4, I was amused that Finn Wolfhard seems to have been stereotyped as "teen who lives in haunted small town and is nearly destroyed as a result". The reappearance of the original 3 surviving members was a nice touch and nicely rounded out the ending.

What impressed me about the music most, aside from it actually being good, is that Simonsen doesn't try to turn Elmer's themes into trailer music or a Marvel-esque apocalypse (which is frankly getting tiring...). Yes, the action is busy and the final showdown is grand, but it's orchestrated in a way that one could plausibly imagine Elmer had scored it himself. Certainly a lot more interesting than Theodore Shapiro's score to the 2016 film (which I actually quite enjoyed, I don't really know why it gets so much hate). There's no banging synth percussion section or choir - just some fine orchestral writing. I'd never noticed before, but the syncopated piano theme sounds a lot like Jerry's (later) score to Matinee at times. Just a hint, but cut from the same cloth none the less.

MV5BMmI4YWEyNTItZTFiMS00YzY4LWE2ZjYtNGRl

This is my favorite Mad Max movie. I love the dystopian atmosphere and the score by Maurice Jarre, and Tina Turner is a nice touch.

Some might say that they get annoyed by the kids, but I am not in this film.

By the way, I also love that poster!

8 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@filmmusic, it's not the best Mad Max film (that's either the original, or FURY ROAD), but BEYOND THUNDERDOME is my favourite, as well, and, no, the kids don't bother me, either.

Mad Max over Road Warrior? Really?

8 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The poster is Richard Amsel at his very best.

He died in 1985? I had no idea. Hmmm https://www.richardamselmovie.com/

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@filmmusic, it's not the best Mad Max film (that's either the original, or FURY ROAD), but BEYOND THUNDERDOME is my favourite, as well, and, no, the kids don't bother me, either.

The poster is Richard Amsel at his very best.

The original?

I didn't like that at all.

As for Fury Road, I have an OCD due to which I cannot appreciate recent films as I like old ones. :P

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Mad Max over Road Warrior? Really?

Yes, really.

THE ROAD WARRIOR doesn't offer the kind of quantum leap over MAD MAX that BEYOND THUNDERDOME does.

It's a bit like THE TERMINATOR vs. T2. T2 is just the first one, writ large.

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

...I have an OCD due to which I cannot appreciate recent films as I like old ones. :P

I think that you might misunderstand the meaning of OCD :)

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I think that you might misunderstand the meaning of OCD :)

I don't think so...

It's an obsession that I prefer old movies than recent ones, even if the new ones are considered great.

2 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I don't think so...

It's an obsession that I prefer old movies than recent ones, even if the new ones are considered great.

Sorry, dude, but that is a choice. It might be an obsession, but it's not OCD.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yes, really.

THE ROAD WARRIOR doesn't offer the kind of quantum leap over MAD MAX that BEYOND THUNDERDOME does.

It's a bit like THE TERMINATOR vs. T2. T2 is just the first one, writ large.

MM2 is tight though, and has that Raiders-style truck chase that's nothing like anything in the first film (but pretty much what Fury Road is all the way through).

Commando (1985)

This is free on YouTube. Watched it this past Saturday morning. Loved it as a kid and still love it to this day. I'm convinced it only works so well because Arnold was on top of the world back then.  Horner's score is so fun too. But I honestly can't picture myself listening to it outside of the film even though he's technically my second favorite film composer.

I also watched Michael Mann's Collateral (also free on YouTube)

Feels like a distant cousin to Heat in a way. Not just because of L.A. or Mann but the characters justifying their violence and ways. Wish this had more of a original score. My second time viewing it and I just cringed at all the songs (that don't hold up) in certain scenes.

Foxx is great in it but Cruise (even with the goofy ass blonde hair) still steals the show.

I think it took until The Terminator for Arnie to REALLY hit his stride ... sure, the first Conan was a big-budget fantasy or whatever but on my first viewing on Sat night I found it pretty slow and way too 'serious'. 

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I think it took until The Terminator for Arnie to REALLY hit his stride ... sure, the first Conan was a big-budget fantasy or whatever but on my first viewing on Sat night I found it pretty slow and way too 'serious'. 

Interesting, I watched Conan last year for (I think - my memory could be faulty!) the first time last year and actually found it really engaging and much less plodding that similar films in the genre. It was serious in a good way, but it didn't feel that it took itself too serious (if that makes sense). I can't quite describe it, but it was definitely a lot better and less cheesy than I expected. Maybe Basil's score is what makes it!

I nodded off before the end ... granted, I'm a man of a certain age and there was beer, I'd been out the night before and some of last week's sleep was iffy due to the heat. But if I'd found Conan suitably engaging, I could've fought the snoozies. 

19 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I see the sequel is a good half-hour shorter and more humorous, and has toned-down violence. 

Avoid CONAN THE DESTROYER, Sweep.

In case you were considering it...the least said about RED SONJA, the better.

I saw Red Sonja back in the day ... about all I recall is a fight with a giant spider at one stage, and I'm not even sure I'm right about that.  

Its Wiki page says it flopped and that Arnie considered it the worst movie he'd ever made. 

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Its Wiki page says it flopped and that Arnie considered it the worst movie he'd ever made. 

Worse than Hercules in New York? I don't think so.

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

He obviously hasn't seen DARK FATE.

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I saw Red Sonja back in the day ... about all I recall is a fight with a giant spider at one stage, and I'm not even sure I'm right about that. 

I've just YouTubed RED SONJA.

Nothing about a spider.

Are you confusing it with KRULL?

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Avoid CONAN THE DESTROYER, Sweep.

I really like the music of Conan and the Prague recording.

But then I listened to the sequels OST on YouTube with almost the same music and it sounded terribly cheap.

17 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The Conan the Destroyer main title is as good as anything in the first score.

Probably yes. I think it was something about the recording or the arrangements or the performance.

44 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Probably yes. I think it was something about the recording or the arrangements or the performance.

I only have the Prague recording of Destroyer so far. I'll get the original recording eventually, but based on what I've read, I don't have great expectations for it.

15 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

He obviously hasn't seen DARK FATE.

I've just YouTubed RED SONJA.

Nothing about a spider.

Are you confusing it with KRULL?

I really didn't mind Dark Fate, although that's possibly because I thought 'as long as it's better than Salvation' which it was (to me, anyway). Couldn't compare it to Genesys because (as it appears to be more Salvation-esque disappointment) I haven't seen it. 

Hmm ... no,  I recall Krull's 'Crystal Spider' well enough as being part of that film in particular ... in entrapping Lysette Anthony, I commend its excellent taste  :love2: . Appreciators of terrible giant spider effects should check out the 80s Cannon version of King Solomon's Mines.     

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Appreciators of terrible giant spider effects should check out the 80s Cannon version of King Solomon's Mines.     

Strange. I don't remember any giant spider in this film. :unsure: I should see it again, I have it on blu-ray. 

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

But yeah, nothing beats the big spider in Return of the King.

I'm a major arachnophobe, but as film spiders go, I always found Shelob quite easygoing. Of course, if I encountered just a 3cm version of her in real life, I'd run away screaming, but I'm far more triggered by the spiders in Chamber of Secrets.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Sweep, it didn't entrap Lysette Anthony, it entrapped Francesca (Lady Jessica) Annis :lol:

Just thought of the sixth IJ flick:

Hide contents

INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SPIDER  :lol:

Oh yes, the 'Widow Of The Web'. Many years since I last saw Krull, no wonder I'm misremembering. 

@filmmusic - 

image.jpeg

It's very obvious in the movie that it's moving by way of being on top of a trolley, small wagon etc. I don't even think its legs moved. 

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I always liked the giant spider scene in 1940 The Thief of Bagdad.

But yeah, nothing beats the big spider in Return of the King.

Well... Samwise did.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I was disappointed that Shelob didn't speak, in ROTK.

Didn't she speak, in the book?

Nope. You might be thinking of the spiders in The Hobbit.

Chamber of Secrets and RotK are a pretty even run. But Shelob was sneakier and therefore scarier.

Oh, the bugs in Jackson's King Kong are no slouch either. There was apparently a scene in the 1933 film that was so horrifying people were vomiting in the theater so it was removed and subsequently lost. Jackson said "Hold my beer!"

Nope. You might be thinking of the spiders in The Hobbit.

:thumbup:

Oh, the bugs in Jackson's King Kong are no slouch either. There was apparently a scene in the 1933 film that was so horrifying people were vomiting in the theater so it was removed and subsequently lost. Jackson said "Hold my beer!"

There is a reconstruction of that sequence, on YouTube.

That thing that covers Lumpy's head, is absolutely horrible, grotesque. You can hear his muffled screams.

MV5BMzA0YWMwMTUtMTVhNC00NjRkLWE2ZTgtOWEz

Saw the theatrical cut, with the original audio mix.

I can imagine how it must have felt to see this in 1978.

The score is a masterpiece! Top 10 Williams for me.

They may slow down the film a bit, but I love the Krypton scenes and the whole origins story.

Christopher Reeve IS Superman. The ideal incarnation of the hero.

I am not  especially a fan of the actress that plays Lois Lane, I think they should have picked a more beautiful one, but I guess it's more realistic now.

Again, I'm not a fan of comic reliefs too(Otis in this instance).

All in all, a fantastic movie (not great) with great visual effects for its time.

I haven't seen Man of Steel, and don't know how it compares, but I can't imagine it's better than this.

4 hours ago, filmmusic said:

MV5BMzA0YWMwMTUtMTVhNC00NjRkLWE2ZTgtOWEz

Saw the theatrical cut, with the original audio mix.

I can imagine how it must have felt to see this in 1978.

I don't have to :)

The score is a masterpiece! Top 2 Williams...

Sorted :D

I haven't seen Man of Steel, and don't know how it compares, but I can't imagine it's better than this.

It's not.

It's not that bad a film, in its own right, and it fits in with the "dark and disturbing" aesthetic of twenty-first century superhero films. 

In reality, though, it's like trying to compare a Tom and Jerry cartoon, with LAWRENCE OF ARABIA: impossible.

MOS is a decent, competently-made film. SUPERMAN is pure joy.

If while watching Superman you thought 'I'd really like to see this with all the fun sucked out of it', then by all means see Man Of Steel. Man, I hate that movie ... give me Superman Returns over it any day of the week. 

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - classic 80s John Hughes comedy about the titular high-school kid (Matthew Broderick) wangling himself, his girlfriend (Mia Sara) and his neurotic best buddy Cameron (Alan Ruck) ... you've guessed it, the day off. Highlights include hilarious turns from Jeffrey Jones and Jennifer Grey (Ferris' uptight school dean and snarky sister respectively), one of cinema's snarliest guard dogs and the 'Twist And Shout' bit.        

56 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

If while watching Superman you thought 'I'd really like to see this with all the fun sucked out of it', then by all means see Man Of Steel. Man, I hate that movie ... give me Superman Returns over it any day of the week. 

Absofrigginlutely!!!!!

SUPERMAN RETURNS seems to be the forgotten Superman movie.

56 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - classic 80s John Hughes comedy about the titular high-school kid (Matthew Broderick) wangling himself, his girlfriend (Mia Sara) and his neurotic best buddy Cameron (Alan Ruck) ... you've guessed it, the day off. Highlights include hilarious turns from Jeffrey Jones and Jennifer Grey (Ferris' uptight school dean and snarky sister respectively), one of cinema's snarliest guard dogs and the 'Twist And Shout' bit.        

So much great stuff, in that film. To name it all would be to quote the entire film...which wouldn't be a bad thing :)

Oh, yeah: Mia Sara :love2: