What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

And the funny junky cameo of Charlie Sheen. When you see it now. it is probably not that funny. But he was at the same time the big star from Platoon at the same time.

I'd forgotten about it and it definitely had an 'Oh, the irony' quality viewed nowadays. 

@naiveoldfart - Agreed on Mia Sara. Sweet Lord. 

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

And the funny junky cameo of Charlie Sheen. When you see it now. it is probably not that funny. But he was at the same time the big star from Platoon at the same time.

Nope. Platoon came out that Christmas. At the time nobody knew who he was. Maybe you knew he was one of the kids from Red Dawn. Or he was Emilo Estevez's brother or Martin Sheen's other son. This was moments before he became a star.

Superman: I forget how I've put it in the past - Somewhere in Superman Returns is best Superman movie ever made.

I read a comparison of SR and Man of Steel the other day. One thing they lauded SR over MoS was that SR eschewed any Christ allegories that other Superman films bought into. This would be Superman Returns where

Spoiler

Superman dies saving the world, lays dead for several days, and the nurse finds his empty tomb, er, room with his wrappings folded in the corner?

It also praised SR for giving us the Superman who was all for "Truth, Justice, and the American Way"! Except this is the movie that couldn't bring itself to even say the words. "Is he still for truth, justice, and all that stuff?"

John Ottman wrote a fantastic score. Second best Superman score ever.

15 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Nope. Platoon came out that Christmas. At the time nobody knew who he was. Maybe you knew he was one of the kids from Red Dawn. Or he was Emilo Estevez's brother or Martin Sheen's other son. This was moments before he became a star.

I have to confess, I didn't see Ferris directly when it came out, but a little later. So, when I saw the movie, I already knew, who Sheen was.

For me one of the best parts of Ferris Bueller, is the scene between Charlie Sheen and Jennifer Grey, Ferris' sister.

You wear too much eye makeup...

My sister wears too much...

People think she's a whore...

image.png

39 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Superman: I forget how I've put it in the past - Somewhere in Superman Returns is best Superman movie ever made.

I read a comparison of SR and Man of Steel the other day. One thing they lauded SR over MoS was that SR eschewed any Christ allegories that other Superman films bought into. This would be Superman Returns where

Hide contents

Superman dies saving the world, lays dead for several days, and the nurse finds his empty tomb, er, room with his wrappings folded in the corner?

It also praised SR for giving us the Superman who was all for "Truth, Justice, and the American Way"! Except this is the movie that couldn't bring itself to even say the words. "Is he still for truth, justice, and all that stuff?"

John Ottman wrote a fantastic score. Second best Superman score ever.

Man Of Steel can barely bring itself to call him Superman, if memory serves.  

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Man Of Steel can barely bring itself to call him Superman, if memory serves.  

If memory serves, someone says: "Superman", right at the end of the film.

By then, of course, it's far too late...

I subscribed to Disney+ for 2 days, then cancelled again after realizing that The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles is not available in Canada.

I watched Pocahontas for the first time (I believe), and well, it wasn't a particularly visually stunning Disney film. I enjoyed the songs and the music, but that was about it.

Later, I watched the live-action version of The Lion King and found myself crying at the same moments as I did in the original animated version. Disney really knows how to tug at your heartstrings!

I wonder what to watch next. Damn, "Something Wicked Whatevever the Title Is" is still not available...

Just now, Bespin said:

I subscribed to Disney+ for 2 days, then cancelled again after realizing that The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles is not available in Canada.

Massively annoyingly not available in the UK either. I was really looking forward to seeing this again. I know it's on YouTube but the quality is terrible.

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

Later, I watched the live-action version of The Lion King and found myself crying at the same moments as I did in the original animated version. Disney really knows how to tug at your heartstrings!

I have to admit that I found myself crying, but only in frustration...

I was looking forward to watching the live-action Mulan, but then I discovered that they didn't incorporate Goldsmith's score. As a fan, I found it extremely disappointing and felt it was a missed opportunity to honor the original music, which is a true gem.

As far as I know, the new score didn't become a classic... or maybe I'm misinformed.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Bes, you need to watch SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES, as soon as possible.

I want, but I can't!

6 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Back to the future, again. Serious question: does it normalise attempted rape? Or was that really normal in the 80s/50s?

Oh come on, without normalized rape, no one would be here!

We are mammals.

PS: I am so glad to be gay, you don't how how much.

6 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Back to the future, again. Serious question: does it normalise attempted rape? Or was that really normal in the 80s/50s?

@Bespin is right.

"Normalise rape"? No.

Although it's probably true to say that rape, and attempted rape, was far less reported, in the 1950s - especially domestic rape - the presentation of the scene that you mention - with its accompanying dénouement -  is done in such a PG way that it's rendered almost comical.

The 1970s and 1980s saw the set-up of rape crisis services, but even when BTTF was first released - I saw it on its opening night, in the West End - no-one batted an eyelid.

It's not exactly IRRÉVERSIBLE, is it?  It's all contextual.

To be clear, you are referring to the scene in which Biff tries to get his way with Lorraine in the car, right? I just find it really odd that when Marty comes back, they're all joking about it, 'always tries to get away with something blah blah'. If I knew someone had done that to my wife, I don't think I'd have him waxing my car.

Sometimes I wonder which is more likely to *offend* modern audiences - Bond 'forcing' himself on Pussy Galore in the movie of Goldfinger, or her being lesbian but Bond banging her 'straightens her out' (as it were) in the novel. 

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

To be clear, you are referring to the scene in which Biff tries to get his way with Lorraine in the car, right? I just find it really odd that when Marty comes back, they're all joking about it, 'always tries to get away with something blah blah'. If I knew someone had done that to my wife, I don't think I'd have him waxing my car.

That's part of the storyline; that Biff goes from class bully to submissive underling, and that George goes from timid and shy to assertive and popular.

Again; context. No-one would want anyone to try to rape their wife, but...well...this is the movies.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Men used to treat women differently in movies.

What's far more disturbing is the fact that her own father raped her. Gittes was only trying to get information out of Mulwray, in the most effective way he knew how.

Maybe you should include in spoilers the important plotlines of the film?

(including that youtube video)

I have seen it myself, but it's a pity for those who haven't seen the film.

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Gittes was only trying to get information out of Mulwray.

In Film Noir, the leading men are often physically abusive towards women, even in Blade Runner, which uses Film Noir tropes. If I had a Euro every time someone was disgusted with the way Deckard forced himself on Rachael, I would be a richest man at JWFan.

4 hours ago, AC1 said:

Men used to treat women differently in movies.

What's more

Spoiler

disturbing

is the fact that

Spoiler

her

own

Spoiler

father

Spoiler

raped

her.

Spoiler

Gittes

was only trying to get

Spoiler

information

out of her, in the 

Spoiler

most effective way

he 

Spoiler

knew how

How's that? :)

13 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

And you think it's not still treated like that in certain circles today? Looking at films set at the time the BTTF past is set, it certainly was "more normal" for men to come on to women (in whatever form) against their own will. "Persistence" is still a major trope in romantic comedies to this day. If anything, the way it is presented in BTTF (the way Biff's cronies laugh about it, and the way George feels helpless) is a rather overt criticism - and coming only one year after Ghostbusters, a film I used to love and still like at least in parts, but where I find it hard to tell whether Bill Murray's character's pressuring behaviour towards Weaver's is meant to be seen as "bad" or just as a quirky, slightly naughty character trait.

And for reference, BTTF was made in 1985, four whole years before rape in a marriage even became punishable in Austria.

I grew up with Ghostbusters. It used to be my favourite film as a kid, and I would watch my VHS of it all the time (I still remember at least one of the commercials on it and get confused when the scene before it cuts straight to the next scene). Some of it still works very well for me, while other parts I just don't find that funny anymore. But being so used to it, I never really noticed the implications of Venkman's behaviour, until I watched it again after a long break a few years ago, and then I found it rather disturbing. It does pay off for him in the classic romantic comedy "pursue the girl" trope tradition, so if it's meant as criticism, it doesn't really come across.

I don't think anyone even noticed much back then though, so in a way there's your answer as to how normal these things used to be. Because I don't think Ghostbusters is unusual in this regard.

13 hours ago, Bespin said:

Oh come on, without normalized rape, no one would be here!

We are mammals.

PS: I am so glad to be gay, you don't how how much.

no this is not default behavior in apes, interestingly. it depends on the group.

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Sometimes I wonder which is more likely to *offend* modern audiences - Bond 'forcing' himself on Pussy Galore in the movie of Goldfinger, or her being lesbian but Bond banging her 'straightens her out' (as it were) in the novel. 

it's the first. straight women don't particularly care for lesbians.

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The lesbian thing is pretty transparent in the film too, in a kind of coy 1960s way. She's "immune" to Bond's charms and she has an all-female flying troup.

The whole things sounds might disturbing on paper. In the film it mostly just plays as bizarre.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

And for reference, BTTF was made in 1995, four whole years before rape in a marriage even became punishable in Austria.

Sorry, dude, but you're 10 years too late.

BTTF was made and released in 1985.

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

it's the first. straight women don't particularly care for lesbians.

Tru, dat.

Regarding GHOSTBUSTERS, with every advance, quip, and suggestive remark and gesture, Venkman is outsmarted by Dana, proving that she has the upper hand.

Just caught Black Hawk Down again on the tellie.

It’s not much of a narrative - least of all, a character narrative: only Jason Isaacs and Eric Bana leave anything close to an impression - however, it’s as visceral and immediate an exploration of the battlefield as has ever been committed to film. 

A towering achievement from the characteristically meticulous Sir Ridley Scott. I miss the times when we had more movies like this.

8 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Sorry, dude, but you're 10 years too late.

BTTF was made and released in 1985.

I mistyped (fixed now). I meant 1985 (and 1989).

8 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Regarding GHOSTBUSTERS, with every advance, quip, and suggestive remark and gesture, Venkman is outsmarted by Dana, proving that she has the upper hand.

Well yes, all the Ghostbusters are portrayed as bumbling pretenders (with the exception of Winston Zeddmore, who's hardly portrayed as anything at all). And yet Dana falls for Venkman - whether in spite or because of his over the line advances isn't really clear.

Finally saw Interstellar. God damn. It may be my new favorite Nolan film. Previously, the films I'd seen were probably ranked The Prestige > BB > TDK > Inception > Memento > TDKR. All have elements I love and elements that irritate me. So does Interstellar, but the ratio is different. Blew me away.

The Last King of Scotland

A decent thriller featuring great performances, especially Forrest Whitaker, who won an Oscar for this movie. But I feel it would've been more interesting if the focus and main character was Whitaker's dictator instead of the white doctor played by James McAvoy.

12 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Just caught Black Hawk Down again on the tellie.

It’s not much of a narrative - least of all, a character narrative: only Jason Isaacs and Eric Bana leave anything close to an impression - however, it’s as visceral and immediate an exploration of the battlefield as has ever been committed to film. 

A towering achievement from the characteristically meticulous Sir Ridley Scott. I miss the times when we had more movies like this.

There are two Ridley Scott movies that I find unwatchable and that is Body Of Lies and Black Hawk Down

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I mistyped (fixed now). I meant 1985 (and 1989).

...and 1990 :)

6 hours ago, Datameister said:

Finally saw Interstellar. God damn. It may be my new favorite Nolan film. Blew me away.

I'll go on record by saying that INTERSTELLAR is, by far, my favourite Nolan film, and that it is, by far, my favourite Zimmer score.

I decided to give Del Toro's Nightmare Alley (2021) a second chance. Watched the first 40 minutes and have to admit I like it a lot better this time. But be honest, guys, doesn't this movie strongly remind you of HBO's Carnivale? Heck, it's like Carnivale The Movie!

image.jpg

Our power went out the other day and I watched Gidget Goes to Rome for the first time. I happened to have it downloaded on the iPad but never actually watched it.

On 26/06/2023 at 6:03 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Thanks for the tip, Alex, but I think that I'll wait until it turns up at my local thrift store.

That's why I posted a pic of the DVD, Richard, so that you know how it looks like when your going through the 1£ bin!

Finished Guillermo Del Toro's Nightmare Alley!

It's been a long time since I've seen a mainstream movie that doesn't take into account children, a young audience or a global market. Nightmare Alley feels like a personal passion project (the Film Noir) and it is almost a miracle that someone gave him the financial means and artistic freedom to make this film.

7,5/10

nightmare-alley-de-duizelingwekkende-tru

The Year Of The Cat? 

PS: It's only Carnivale The Movie during the first hour, it becomes something completely different after that.

Re-re-re-re-re-re-watched RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK last night and… it has aged. But I still find it funny, probably the goofiest of them all.

I'm not a very nostalgic person (and I wasn't born when the movie came out) but damn, the sound mix in 1979 was clearly something else. You could hear dialogues AND music! Incredible!

34 minutes ago, iamleyeti said:

Re-re-re-re-re-re-watched RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK last night and… it has aged.

Last time I watched it I was bored a bit. I don't know why. 

Temple of Doom is still my favorite one.

MV5BMWU4NzA2OWYtNGQ0MS00YWNkLTg4M2YtZjlk

Silly, mindless entertainment (or not?)

Not one of the best remembered roles of Schwarzenegger, but I liked it enough (to buy it in UHD ;)).

The basket scene, the torture guy, the fight in Nepal… this is all very goofy. The funny moments of Temple are silly as well, but the action scenes are frightening (downright traumatising even…) to me.