What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I find 3 by far the least of the 3 films. it's only watchable because of the dinosaurs but the spinosaur which was no match for a t rex if it even existed at all, since all evidence of the creature is minimal at best. it has the worst cast of the 3 films and poor Sam Neill had to be embarrassed by the films poor script, acting, and direction. If it was a star trek film it would be nemesis.

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

This does not look like it was shot in the late 30s at all - quite amazing.

I wasn't expecting the tone to be so playful; the sword fights seemingly more showy than intending to kill the opponent (as in the style of the BBC's recent series). A very enjoyable romp though, and put the first Korngold cue in my collection (the first part of The Tournament caught my ear).

I'm surprised you hadn't seen it until now. If you want to see more Errol Flynn swashbuckling in Technicolor, I do recommend The Adventures of Don Juan too. It's not as fast-paced, and Flynn is definitely showing signs of his hard-living lifestyle, but the cinematography and fight scenes are delightful. Max Steiner's score is also recommended.

(Psst ... the title of this movie should have been The Kung Fu Kid)

It is called The Kung Fu Kid in other countries, it was only called The Karate Kid here

Hmmm, well that is what I read when the movie came out anyway, maybe the article I read was wrong.

Which one would be better, Olympus has Fallen or White House DOwn?

white house down will be more of a buddy picture

amour-450x666_zpsc2f2c8a3.jpg

What a difficult film to evaluate. I thought I was going to be deeply moved but that was actually not the case. Is Haneke's approach (no sentimentalism) too clinical? The film boasts two incredible performances (Trintignant and Riva) and many scenes keep lingering in my mind. Most call it Haneke's masterpiece but for now I can't give it more than 7/10.

Alex

Which one would be better, Olympus has Fallen or White House DOwn?

Olympus Has Fallen, easily. Gerard Butler > Channing Tatum.

Not to mention that Fuqua > Emmerich.

Not to forget the fantastic Scaramouche. Still not available on Blu-ray.

I enjoyed the book. I've been wanting to see that one for ages but somehow I still haven't.

I could do with it on Blu-ray...

Sleepaway Camp 2: Unhappy Campers

It's tongue-in-cheek in places, almost two decades away from Scream, but it's not nearly as sophisticated or well-budgeted either (but still miles better than its awful predecessor). Pamela Springsteen makes for a wonderfully chipper killer... some of the death scenes are pretty gross (especially the one in an outhouse), but most of them are pretty funny. The film hasn't aged that well, but the 1980s vibe adds to the charm. Most of the death scene fodder, like the promiscuous slut, the good guy jock and the stoner siblings, are two-dimensional but fun to watch.

Just keep your expectations low.

It's tongue-in-cheek in places, almost two decades away from Scream, but it's not nearly as sophisticated or well-budgeted either (but still miles better than its awful predecessor). Pamela Springsteen makes for a wonderfully chipper killer... some of the death scenes are pretty gross (especially the one in an outhouse), but most of them are pretty funny. The film hasn't aged that well, but the 1980s vibe adds to the charm. Most of the death scene fodder, like the promiscuous slut, the good guy jock and the stoner siblings, are two-dimensional but fun to watch.

but no shocking I'm really a dude reveal.

but no shocking I'm really a dude reveal.

They actually address that in the opening scene. One of the children speculates that Angela went to Hollywood and "is playing the brown-haired girl in The Facts of Life." One counselor corrects him, "No. You see, the doctors gave him a sex change and our parents' tax dollars paid for it!"

They pretty much wipe the slate clean. The movie just has a generic horror ending, but it's still fun to watch.

HITCHCOCK (2012): Disappointingly square film about the making of PSYCHO. Hopkins and Mirren seem miscast (was Hitch's wife not rather mousy-looking?) and everything is so neatly tied up as if an especially strident 14-year old wrote an essay about it for school using IMDB's trivia page - compare it to the HBO film THE GIRL, which chronicles Hitchcocks obsession with Tippi Hedren and is miles better.

The film suffers from not being allowed to show any footage from Psycho or to use any dialog from it. The few scenes that are re-enacted are dialogue free.

It's an entertaining yarn though. Hopkins's performance reminded me of his "Burt" in The Worlds Fastest Indian. Endlessly charming without seemingly trying to be. Mirren was as strong as ever (who gives a fuck if Alma didnt look as stunning as she does).

The main problem is that even for a very short film, it seems like they were stretching material.

I've always veered away from The Girl because I wanted nothing to do with the concept really, but maybe I'll give it a chance.

I think you guys are looking too much into Hitchcock. Ultimately it was a entertaining little film chock full of lovable Hitchcock references. Perhaps not great, but something I could sit down and have fun with and both Mirren and Hopkins had a lot to do with that.

Jacky Brown: Watched the Blu-ray. It's quite restrained for a Tarantino movie. So much so that Jacky Brown is the only film where I don't see Tarantino sitting behind the typewriter while patting himself on the back. This movie is so relaxed and charming. My only (small) complaint is not the slow pace, as many would say, but the feature length. I wish Quentin would do more anti-ADHD movies like that.

JackieBrown2_zps9084a16d.jpg

... And Robert Forster is just stellar in this one.

Alex

Winter's Bone: I was just mesmerized by this film, the mood, the atmosphere, the characters. Jennifer Lawrence as Ree does a wonderful role that is a mix of tough and extremely vulnerable in the same package. The bleak and melancholic atmosphere pervading this story is really fascinating and drew me completely into this world.

Strangly I just watched X-Men: First Class and she was really boring as Mystique.

She won two Oscars already, but is completely outclassed by the not actually that talented Rebecca Romein.

I heard Amber Heard was up for the role, that would have been much better

Jacky Brown: Watched the Blu-ray. It's quite restrained for a Tarantino movie. So much so that Jacky Brown is the only film where I don't see Tarantino sitting behind the typewriter while patting himself on the back. This movie is so relaxed and charming. My only (small) complaint is not the slow pace, as many would say, but the feature length. I wish Quentin would do more anti-ADHD movies like that.

It's Jackie, not Jacky

It's Jackie, not Jacky

Well spotted, Mr. White.

Evil Dead (2013)

More concerned with gore and viscera thrown on the screen than being genuinely scary. And the way Fede Alvarez shoots and executes the gore-filled sequences is more realistic and wince-inducing than outrageous and nodding at the audience like Raimi's original did. That said, Alvarez does manage to conjure up some unsettling atmosphere before all hell lets loose, especially putting an unrecognizable Jane Levy through the wringer. Only during the last 15-20 minutes does the film truly become an Evil Dead film, where you're rooting for the survivor and laughing at the outrageousness of it all.

And Roque Banos' score remains the consistently excellent aspect of the remake. Yes, he does include the sound of a chainsaw in the actual score and choir usage is as creepily effective as Goldsmith's Ave Satani in The Omen. And the Pro Arte Orchestra of London does get a workout, and is even melodic at times. Definitely a score to check out, and possibly one of the better ones of 2013.

Time hasn't been kind to the first one's home made special effects, but the nasty core is still potent and the maverick direction a fascinating watch. Evil Dead II is where they turned it up to eleven, with legendary results, being both creepy and hilarious at once. Arguably one of the greatest bloke movie's ever made.

I haven't seen the original ones either. I'm very squeamish and not a big fan of horror, but I want to watch them. My hope was to get through the originals before I watch the new one.

Time hasn't been kind to the first one's home made special effects, but the nasty core is still potent and the maverick direction a fascinating watch. Evil Dead II is where they turned it up to eleven, with legendary results, being both creepy and hilarious at once. Arguably one of the greatest bloke movie's ever made.

I'm absolutely checking these out. I was recommended the third one, but I'm anal about going through the whole thing in order lately.

The first Evil Dead movie is really really bad. Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness are absolute classics

There's no real need to see Evil Dead 1, as the first 9 minutes of Evil Dead 2 are a prolonged (and re-filmed) recap of it

The first Evil Dead movie is really really bad.

There's no real need to see Evil Dead 1

It's probably a couple of years before your time, but there was a period in the early eighties when that movie was considered the scariest ever made. That's how it was.

As for Armies of Darkness, it was the awkward black sheep of the family which felt every bit the under obligation (to the fans) nineties sequel. Shite but daft fun.

As I remember it, Evil Dead is pure horror. Evil Dead 2 is half horror and half over the top humor. Sure, the second chapter recaps and then basically redness the first movie, but I wouldn't dismiss the original as unnecessary. If anything, Army is unnecessary and it was pure campy fun.

I also haven't seen any of the originals yet. One of my best friends is gonna be in town in a couple weeks for my senior recital (!) and we've talked about seeing them, so I'm hoping we'll be able to do a marathon of the originals then. My guess is that 2 and Army of Darkness will be more my speed--I'm a horror newbie, for sure--but I've seen some pretty graphic clips of the original on YouTube that assured me I could at least tolerate it. I figure it's going to at least be worthwhile to see it once for the cinematic perspective--seeing what Raimi and co. pulled off with so little.

Sinister_zps1c8ec8d7.jpeg

Given the cliché concept of the movie, it could've or should've been much worse, but Ethan Hawke & Co are able to give it some class. 6/10

Alex

Jurassic Park, **** out of ****

Argo ***1/2 out of ****

Red Dawn ** out of ****

Argo was a really exciting film, worthy of a Best Picture nomination but I still feel it falls short of Lincoln, Les Miserables, and Life of Pi, but still, an excellent movie all around. it's a nice piece of Americana. Love the Great John Chambers' contribution. Thanks Canada.

Red Dawn is watchable but a mess. It's a pussified version of what it could have been. All these movies in or out of production that are afraid of the Chinese is just ridiculous, Red Dawn, Iron Man, & Skyfall all acquiescing for fear of the chinese gov't is pathetic. They are movies and if they offend someone, well so f-ing what. The Patrick Swayze/Charlie Sheen version is jsut a B movie, but it's so much better. Poor Ramin Djawadi really gets the short end of the stick. He has to follow one of the 80's best scores and Djawadi does steal snippets from Poledouris, but mostly his score is more of a cat scratching an old fashioned black board.

I can't believe Jason says Evil Dead is really really bad.

now if by bad he means great, then his statement is correct.

it was probably too much for him to take in. It is pure horror as Wojo says.

evil dead 2 gives those needing it a bit of a chance to breath with the addition of it's humor, it's toned down.

I prefer my horror more raw.