What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

57 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Howard and Zemeckis were always sort of interchangeable to me anyway. 

Capable directors of the post-Spielberg variety.

It's true, but Howard never did make his Back to the Future. To me the best thing he did was the narration on Arrested Development. Oh and that western with Cate Blanchett. Good film. 

7 minutes ago, Drax said:

I remember seeing it at the movies as a 12-year-old and being sorely disappointed not to see Jodie Foster fighting alien monsters after being launched in the space pod.

I was disappointed more because the initial premise was very intriguing and the decoded Hitler message thingy was genuinely unnerving for about two minutes. 

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

No love for Happy Days?

It was alright I suppose. 

40 minutes ago, Drax said:

I remember seeing it at the movies as a 12-year-old and being sorely disappointed not to see Jodie Foster fighting alien monsters after being launched in the space pod.

The sad truth is that still would be disappointed about that if you discovered the movie today.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It's the unofficial prequel to Interstellar. I wouldn't be surprised if even Nolan himself would admit that.

Alex

Well considering the common roots of both films with Sagan (figuratively in the case of the newer one obviously), Lynda Obst, and Kip Thorne, it's not that surprising.  

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

It's true, but Howard never did make his Back to the Future. To me the best thing he did was the narration on Arrested Development. Oh and that western with Cate Blanchett. Good film. 

I like Splash and Cocoon. Good natured and unpretentious.

On 06/04/2016 at 8:46 AM, Alexcremers said:

Then you really should watch Mamet's version of The Winslow Boy.

MI0001840271_zpshvj7d1kn.jpg

That is, if you haven't done so already ...

Alex

What happened to Jeremy Northam? Awesome actor.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Parenthood remains the best thing Ron Howard directed for me. Brilliant ensemble comedy.

32 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Parenthood remains the best thing Ron Howard directed for me. Brilliant ensemble comedy.

One of my favorite movie of all-time!

The Stepford Wives. Not sure what to say.

First, David Arnold's score is fantastic! Edc credits still playing here. I love the blend of romance and comedy. The ball music is a true gem too.

As for the story... I was interested in the beginning but began to have serious doubts as it progressed. The concept is intrigueing enough, the acting/script was just off. Nicole Kidman also slightly overacted. As Claire told why she had done what she did, I really thought they were taking things too far.

Three questions:
1. Is it me or does Christopher Walken have a strange accent? Not a native speaker so would be very interested in feedback.
2. Claire said that Connecticut was the only place no one would notice a town of robots. Why? Is there some cultural/historical reference I'm missing? Why is Connecticut good if you don't want to get noticed?
3. Something doesn't add up. The robots are replicas of the women, so what happens with their real bodies?

The Hidden Fortress

It's definitely one of Kurosawa's most accessible and popular films -- you can definitely see how this film influenced Star Wars. Not just character tropes (i.e. Tahei and Matashichi = C3P0 and R2D2, Makabe = Han Solo), but also minor things like scene transitions and wipes. Toshiro Mifune, a popular Kurosawa collaborator, is great as General Makabe and Misa Uehara is both feisty and willful as Princess Yuki. I've never warmed up to Tahei and Matashichi, they're annoying and petty.

Still, it's gorgeously photographed with a nice score. The pacing is a bit iffy though.