What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

11 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I think you should. Be warned, it's very extravagantly directed. Some would even say ... cheesy? Of course, I would disagree with that. It's very much a throwback to classic Hollywood.

It has good things ... but I was ultimately disappointed because I was expecting a classy, frightening ghost story instead of a tragic Gothic romance that just happens to have ghosts in it (who are shown far too much to be scary).    

But it's much more unique than a ghost story. I was happy that it turned out be something else. In fact, the movie would have been better without the ghosts (or perhaps if the ghosts were handled differently) but they didn't kill it for me. 

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2

a909409.jpg

I had to indulge the kid and so we watched The Hunger Games: Mockingjason - Part 2. Sigh ... While the first movie had an entertaining survival movie set-up, somehow this genre always ends up being movies about a group of uninteresting rebelling teenagers opposing their mighty grown-up rulers (the exact same happens in The Maze Runner). I'm glad it's finally over. 1/10

It is over, right? Right?!

Alex

Beavis and Butthead Do America

I don't like the characters, they're too stupid and annoying to support an 80 minute feature. There are some sporadic laughs throughout, but again the characters are one-note. Their continuous snickering and endlessly looking to "score" rubs me the wrong way, as well as Butthead's irritating "I am Gringo, I have no bumhole!" later on. There's wonderfully stupid comedy, and then there's crap like Beavis and Butthead.

John Frizzell's score was really good though.

I watched "Pee Wee's Big Holiday" over the weekend and it was legit funny.  I can't stop thinking about the Amish balloon scene.

The score was serviceable, and definitely mixed loudly/noticeable, but I missed Elfman :crymore:

59 minutes ago, Matt C said:

I don't like the characters, they're too stupid and annoying to support an 80 minute feature. There are some sporadic laughs throughout, but again the characters are one-note. Their continuous snickering and endlessly looking to "score" rubs me the wrong way, as well as Butthead's irritating "I am Gringo, I have no bumhole!" later on. There's wonderfully stupid comedy, and then there's crap like Beavis and Butthead.

Seminal 1990's cinema!

On 29/03/2016 at 6:40 AM, Alexcremers said:

But it's much more unique than a ghost story. I was happy that it turned out be something else. In fact, the movie would have been better without the ghosts (or perhaps if the ghosts were handled differently) but they didn't kill it for me. 

More unique? It's either unique or it is not unique. There are no degrees of uniqueness!

1 hour ago, Matt C said:

A classic from the MTV generation!

The Hateful Eight:

Is this Morricone chap a Williams fan? The score reminded me of Jaws 2 and Williams' violin concerto. 

6/10

Alex

2 hours ago, Matt C said:

I always saw them as MTV satirising a certain section of its audience ... the show/movie infers that only the very stupid would choose to sit watching the channel all day.    

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I always saw them as MTV satirising a certain section of its audience ... 

A very obvious joke that was lost of that certain section as well.  All the more for us to enjoy!  The movie was great!

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

A classic from the MTV generation!

I was more of a "Daria" kind of guy.

I get the inside joke of B&B airing on MTV, but it quickly grew stale.

I never watched the show consistently, but have always really liked the movie. Honestly, it had completely erased itself from my memory until I saw you post about it, and now I can clearly remember most of it. It has this wonderfully disturbing Hunter S. Thompson vibe to it, and the pre-Hank Hill character is great. Isn't Bruce Willis the bad guy?

Yes, and Demi Moore plays the villain's wife if I remember correctly.

That movie is probably the first animated film ever to utilize celebrity voices the way DreamWorks and Blue Sky now do so.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

I only saw it once when it first came out, but I remember feeling like he probably did it.

Probably....maybe....perhaps.....doubt. ;)

On 4/5/2016 at 11:55 PM, Matt C said:

Yes, and Demi Moore plays the villain's wife if I remember correctly.

That movie is probably the first animated film ever to utilize celebrity voices the way DreamWorks and Blue Sky now do so.

Gotta love those 70s cop show parody credits, complete with Isaac Hayes theme song - 

On 4/5/2016 at 4:21 AM, Richard said:

Doubt

So...my dear JWfaners...did he, or didn't he..and why?

Saw that in theaters and really dug it, along with Shore's score, but haven't revisited either since. 

A great film. Have seen it several times and it holds up thanks to the great actors and that fine script adapted from a stage play. Come to think of it some of my favourite films are adaptations of stage plays.

45 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Like Glengarry Glen Ross?

Yeah. The Lion in Winter, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf etc.

I have not seen that one so I guess I have to put that on the "to watch"-list.

Shame. What in the name of God was THAT? The main character should have been locked up from the start and basically spends the entire film... well, not even sure what to say, working out whether he's straight or gay (or at timesan animal...)...? Carey Mulligan s role was intrigueing and unlike the main character, she did a great job. She also sounded rather weird trying to speak American. It took 40 minutes before anything really happened. The score serves its purpose, but that's all. The Bach source music really worked. Never again.

On Wednesday, April 06, 2016 at 3:46 AM, Alexcremers said:

Then you really should watch Mamet's version of The Winslow Boy.

Or any of Mamet's films, for that matter.  He carried over that theatrical flare, feel, and sound when he went into movies.

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Shame. What in the name of God was THAT? The main character should have been locked up from the start and basically spends the entire film... well, not even sure what to say, working out whether he's straight or gay (or at timesan animal...)...? Carey Mulligan s role was intrigueing and unlike the main character, she did a great job. She also sounded rather weird trying to speak American. It took 40 minutes before anything really happened. The score serves its purpose, but that's all. The Bach source music really worked. Never again.

The film isn't about his sexual orientation, it's about his obsession with sex and his inability to form any type of relationship with other people.

FYI American isn't a language.

Contact

As with most Zemeckis films, the Hollywood cheese is laid on thick (especially in regards to Silvestri's conventional score) but once you get past that it's fairly wonderful.  Great build-up with a solid and sentimental ending.

La Grande Bouffe

Simply magnificent - funny, moving and repulsive in equal measure, with some wonderful performances. They really don't make them like this anymore.

9 hours ago, Mr. Big said:

As with most Zemeckis films, the Hollywood cheese is laid on thick (especially in regards to Silvestri's conventional score)

Conventional?  The score is great!