What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Sleepy Hollow 

I love this movie! What a cool mashup of Gothic horror/romance, detective story, and American folklore. 

One of the last great Burton movies; certainly one of the last where Burtonesque visuals created effective atmosphere instead of eyerolls. It's a movie where I find myself saying out loud, "Geez what a gorgeous set!" 

It's also one of my 4 or 5 favorite Elfman scores.

It's easily Burton's best looking film. Great score too

4 hours ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

Actually, everyone gushes over Big Fish and I find it overrated.

Finally! The movie draws so many warm and fuzzy cards that it gets tedious after a while.

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Sleepy Hollow 

I love this movie! What a cool mashup of Gothic horror/romance, detective story, and American folklore. 

One of the last great Burton movies; certainly one of the last where Burtonesque visuals created effective atmosphere instead of eyerolls. It's a movie where I find myself saying out loud, "Geez what a gorgeous set!" 

It's also one of my 4 or 5 favorite Elfman scores.

I couldn't stand it at the time and even stopped watching. It felt so idiotic to me but maybe I looked at it from a wrong perspective. Is the movie considered to be a masterpiece? Let's see ... Hmm, very mixed reviews ... It seems this is another love it or hate it movie.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I couldn't stand it at the time and even stopped watching. It felt so idiotic to me but maybe I looked at it from a wrong perspective. Is the movie considered to be a masterpiece? Let's see ... Hmm, very mixed reviews ... It seems this is another love it or hate it movie.

It is really about nothing and not particularly good but once you're over that you can just enjoy Jeffrey Jones, Michael Gambon and Richrd Griffiths in pompous wigs.

Video not available. 

Barry Norman did a really good in depth home visit at Spielberg's place many years ago. I remembered being utterly fascinated at the time. 

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

There's a retirement home where prettyboy coulda-been-a-contender actors that didn't quite catch on live out their final decades.

Untitled.jpg

Don't talk about Casper that way!

Star Trek: First Contact and Star Trek: Insurrection. I rather enjoyed both, despite some flaws. The second Goldsmith score is actually stronger than the first one in context.

Karol

Insurrection is underrated for sure.  The complaint I see most often is that it's more like a TNG two-part episode, not cinematic enough.  To me, that's not an issue in the present when I'm watching it all, TV show and movie alike, on the same small screen.  It's got some great performances by the main cast.  The biggest flaw to me is the ho-hum action sequences.

Yeah, I agree. I expected something much flawed. Its reputation seems to be quite undeserved. Some special effects look so-so, certainly worse than First Contact, but it's a non-issue when the story is engaging.

Karol

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

First Contact had a few nice setpieces, this doesnt really.

I know. That's why I called the action "ho-hum."

Divorced from expectations put upon it for being a theatrical film, and just watched alongside TNG, it's a darn good two hours spent with the Enterprise D/E crew!

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

First Contact had a few nice setpieces, this doesnt really.

Does Star Trek need setpieces to be good? Has Wrath of Khan really destroyed the franchise for good?

Karol

Wow. You're the first Trekkie I've ever encountered with positive feelings towards Nemesis. I always appreciate an opinion that differs from conventional wisdom.  Any particular things you like about it?

6 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Does Star Trek need setpieces to be good? Has Wrath of Khan really destroyed the franchise for good?

Karol

Don't put words in my mouth please, and don't even begin to pretend you understand Star trek better then I do.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Wow. You're the first Trekkie I've ever encountered with positive feelings towards Nemesis. I always appreciate an opinion that differs from conventional wisdom.  Any particular things you like about it?

Ive talked to several who liked it. It's flawed of course, and just another TWOK remake. But it looks very good, the acting is strong (especially from Stewart) and it's the final adventure of that beloved crew. I've got a lot of time for Nemesis.

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Don't put words in my mouth please, and don't even begin to pretend you understand Star trek better then I do.

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

If you are going to do a big budget sci-fi film with a lot of action, why not have those action scenes be better then they were in the finished film. Star Trek or not?

Action isnt the most important thing about Star Trek, but it certainly always has been an aspect of it.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I've never thought Nemesis was as bad as some Trek fans make it out to be, but I also don't like it passionately enough to get into debates about it.  It's fine.

I enjoyed it very much when i saw it in the cinema in 2002, but it also made me a bit sad because I knew it wouldnt be a hit. That it would be the last one.

The Matrix Reloaded is the easiest to enjoy score in the trilogy, true. But I still wouldn't label it as "crowd pleasing", outside of two electronica crossover tracks.. But yeah. Nemesis was overlooked, also by myself.

Plus there were also Elfman's Spider-Man, Williams' Attack of the Clones and Chamber of Secrets. And other stuff like this. Crowded period in which it was easy to dismiss an introverted Trek score. But that was also the original album's fault. Badly put together disc.

Karol

Okay, we'll get back to Star Trek.

I've got Sleepy Hollow going on Netflix. It looks slick. Good cast except Rico, who just so happens to have only two brief lines, as if Burton realized he was terrible. However...

This movie becomes dreadfully boring. We want headless horsemen and British actors killing each other, not sitting around in rooms and Christina Ricci no longer being a good actress. Rico? Anyone? There's little payoff aside from Miranda Richardson being ludicrous. But none of this fucking shit makes sense in the last act. I mean, most Burton films are like that, but here, it's just insulting. Why did she cut her hand? Why did she fake her death? How could the little girl who broke the stick have been her when it was only 20 years earlier? Why did they go to some windmill? What? This is stupid.