What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

There's a difference between that and having characters without motivations.

I don't think the intentions of Redmond Barry are badly presented. I loved the film until it started to go into the stuff about the Lyndons, where I lost some interest. In any case there were still some great scenes left (the duel with Bullingdon, for example). The ending left me a bit "wha, this is it?":

He leaves it up to the viewer to come up with their own conclusions

Yep, there's no spoonfeeding. Over the years, I saw the film three times and each time it was a different experience.

Raiders of the Lost Ark on Blu Ray

I realized I haven't watched this film in a long time. Probably on VHS the last time. I think I never watched the DVD box.

It was just as fantastic as I remember it. The picture quality was awesome and it's just a great movie unlike some recent Spielberg film where he just seems predictable.. Every shot is like a work of art. Williams score is mixed very loud as it should be. It's almost like listening to the c..d., but with some dialogue and sfx, instead of the other way around (score buried in the mix in the SW prequels). That's what made JW scores great, hearing them in their full glory in the film itself.

Was Kubrick the anti-Spielberg in that regard?

Absolutely! Empire Of The Sun is an exception. It requires viewer participation or else the movie ends up at the bottom of every Spielberg's best movies list.

The-Artist-BD.jpg

The Artist: I was mainly surprised how a true silent movie still can work today. So I guess Hazanavicius' love letter to the movies of that era is pretty successful. The director, the actors, the music composer ... all of them did a good job. However, even though it's pretty ballsy to make a silent movie these days, the content itself is familiar territory and brings nothing new under the sun. 6/10 or 7/10

Due to the soft image of the film, I could have bought the DVD instead. Also, note that the movie is shot in full frame.

Alex

Looper

I found it disappointing. A very small in scope film, none of the grandeur hullabaloo of Inception or Children of Men, and more similar in tone with Moon (and 12 Monkeys). Not a bad thing, of course, except the main character remains an enigma to me for the entire duration of the film. He's not a bad guy, he's not a good guy; he simply exists. This wouldn't be such a problem if the film wasn't this intentionally intimate. Without someone I understand and to root for, this intimacy is pure face value and empty underneath.

The film is pretty static in terms of its variety of locations. After a strong beginning it settles on a farm for pretty much the remaining length. Not something I expected nor like. Much of the time is spent on developing the main character, but it rarely works and random spicing of Joe's flashforwards having a loving time with his wife just screams cheapo. The finale felt flat and unsatisfying because of the poor character development and Rian Johnson's inability to crystallize the film's themes and character motives into a singular defining moment.

I'm also very bothered by the whole TK nonsense, especially after a certain plot point makes it more prominent. Utterly unnecessary and a thoroughly wrong choice by the director.

I'll try to catch it again when it comes out on home media.

Oh well I actually was about to reply with a post saying watch the movie and you'll know what TK means. It probably doesn't qualify as a spoiler as it makes its appearance early on, but it sure was a jarring moment for me.

Come to think of it, Joey is right about it trying to be a few things. It ends up being not very good at any of them.

The Lord of the Rings movie marathon took place yesterday in my living room! :D I watched all three extended editions on Blu-ray one after the other. Took almost 12 hours. It was awesome! I haven't watched the movies in a while so I've already forgotten a few details, but mosty the experience was like meeting an old friend after a few years. :) They're great movies, I still like them very much - not to mention Howard's scores! ;) I'm looking forward to making this marathon every 3-4 years - by the next time, we'll already have The Hobbit movies so the marathon can they maybe last 24 hours! :lol:

There's a difference between that and having characters without motivations.

I don't think the intentions of Redmond Barry are badly presented. I loved the film until it started to go into the stuff about the Lyndons, where I lost some interest. In any case there were still some great scenes left (the duel with Bullingdon, for example). The ending left me a bit "wha, this is it?":

I didn't undertstand why didn't bother he ruined his perfect life as Barry Lyndon. The dual was very tense, I couldnt help hearing Ennio Morricone in my head... :lol:

But I had the same feeling in the end. Like, 'did I miss the message'?

did a double bill of Village of the Damned and Children of the Damned. I love older black and white British scifi.

I watched Explorers last night for the first time, which I have never seen, to see if watching the movie would help me appreciate Goldsmith's score a bit more. It has, to a point. The movie was hilariously outdated. The idea that a child can dream up a circuit board and transcribe it the next day, and it leads to something wonderful that NASA never realized, ok, that's cool. But the large desktop computer and its power source (a 9V battery, it would seem) were hilarious. I cheered when I noticed James Cromwell as the father, which makes this the earliest film I've seen him in. And also when they named "Thunder Road" because I'll be damned if that isn't Springsteen's finest song (or at least, from the album with his top three songs).

I lost interest once they met the aliens. The Muppets could have made better looking aliens in 1985, though I realize they weren't supposed to be scary. So I have to decide if I want to watch the last 25 minutes.

I started to watch Prometheus via Xbox Zune but it turned out to be the French version. Needless to say that I stopped watching right away! 6 Euro down the drain. And I didn't like the blue guy.

sacrificial_engineer_prometheus2.jpg

Alex

So I have to decide if I want to watch the last 25 minutes.

Seriously, you watch a movie 3/4 of the way and have to "decide" if you want to see the rest? The ending sucks, but at least you can say the ending sucks because you saw it

Me I saw Looper. I really want to like it, but again the time travel plotholes ruined it for me. When I watch a movie I want to enjoy what I watch without questions in my head about the plot and story distracting me all the time

I think if they had removed 2 or 3 scenes and edited it a bit better it would have improved it a lot

Me I saw Looper. I really want to like it, but again the time travel plotholes ruined it for me. When I watch a movie I want to enjoy what I watch without questions in my head about the plot and story distracting me all the time

I think if they had removed 2 or 3 scenes and edited it a bit better it would have improved it a lot

That's precisely what I want.

And?

I like it.

Stunning review.

And?

I like it.

but you didn't love it.

I wouldn't waste a dime on it, looks utterly stupid. He's yet to make a film that I've seen that I've enjoyed but I admit I've not seen the animated fox movie.

I've yet to see a lot of 2012 films but this is my favourite so far. It was very awkward and quirky which I enjoyed, and I found several scenes to be quite funny.

However, I would have liked to see more of some characters.

Looper

Rian Johnson's third outing as writer/director, and it's just what I anticipated: a small film with a big scope. From the very first trailer you could tell they were trying to market this film to a wide audience, and Johnson is not that type of "action director" they wanted to make him out to be. The result is a good but slightly messy film. The film's strengths, for me, are the production design, costumes, acting, and score. The locations, from the rural city to the farmlands, are all gorgeous and well shot. It's a future that feels real. I'd say that this all falls under the film's style, which oozes cool yet dirty. JGL is as awesome as ever, and I really loved Paul Dano's small role in the beginning. Garret Dillahunt's even smaller role was just as good. He's my favorite unknown, and he always brings a lot to his usually brief moments in film. Then of course there's Jeff Daniels. Bruce Willis and Emily Blunt don't really add to the film, but they don't detract from it either. They've both had better moments. Nathan Johnson's score really stood out to me with its use of unconventional electronics when I first listened to it. In the film, though, it gels perfectly and feels more orchestral than it actually is. I'm fairly certain La-La Land gave us the complete score.

My problems lie with a somewhat uneven screenplay in terms of conventions. Joe introduces us to this world and his profession through narration, which is not really evenly distributed throughout the film. It's probably the biggest mistake you can do with narration. I feel like if you use it, use it often, or bookend the film with it. Other than that there's some slight pacing/editing issues that could have probably made the film tighter. Kid Blue's character was rather pointless other than comic relief, but by the end it was becoming a drag. Regardless though I love the focus on character, which isn't seen much in action films. Brick and The Brothers Bloom were better, but very different films.

Oh, and the moviegoing experience itself was awful. People whispering and chattering away during pivotal moments, including the very height of the climax. Shut up and watch the damn movie and stop trying to guess what happens 2 seconds before it happens.

Nordwand (North Face): I can't believe the high score at RT (83%). This movie does nothing other than what you don't already suspect it will do. Climbing a steep and high mountain is not a joke. Very conventional stuff (content, approach, execution), especially made clear by that darn sweeping soundtrack.

nordwand.jpg

5/10

Alex

He's yet to make a film that I've seen that I've enjoyed but I admit I've not seen the animated fox movie.

Don't bother with Fantastic Mr. Fox. I loved the book it was based on, but Anderson butchered the adaptation. Casting name stars to voice the characters, rather using actual voice actors, really took me out of the film. And that wasn't the only nitpick I had -- stop-motion animation felt inappropriate. This story would've been so much better with either hand-drawn or CGI animation. And all those stupid story tangents added on (the soccer game, the motorbike ride) just irritated me to no end.

I know I'm criticizing a film a lot of people like, but I really feel strongly about this film. I'm fine with film adaptations that cut a lot of material but stay true to the spirit and integrity of the source material, but Anderson was the wrong person to do Fantastic Mr. Fox. Pixar or Dreamworks Animation (especially someone like Dean deBlois and Chris Sanders) would've done justice to the source material.

I wouldn't waste a dime on it, looks utterly stupid. He's yet to make a film that I've seen that I've enjoyed but I admit I've not seen the animated fox movie.

I loved it! Haven't seen his other work (Tenenbaums excepted), but it was really sweet. Not cutesy or hipster in the slightest.

He's yet to make a film that I've seen that I've enjoyed but I admit I've not seen the animated fox movie.

Don't bother with Fantastic Mr. Fox. I loved the book it was based on, but Anderson butchered the adaptation. Casting name stars to voice the characters, rather using actual voice actors, really took me out of the film. And that wasn't the only nitpick I had -- stop-motion animation felt inappropriate. This story would've been so much better with either hand-drawn or CGI animation. And all those stupid story tangents added on (the soccer game, the motorbike ride) just irritated me to no end.

I know I'm criticizing a film a lot of people like, but I really feel strongly about this film. I'm fine with film adaptations that cut a lot of material but stay true to the spirit and integrity of the source material, but Anderson was the wrong person to do Fantastic Mr. Fox. Pixar or Dreamworks Animation (especially someone like Dean deBlois and Chris Sanders) would've done justice to the source material.

So there are actors and voice actors, they can't be both? Who are you, Cremers? The animation is brilliant, one of the most detailed films I've ever seen.

I loved it! Haven't seen his other work (Tenenbaums excepted), but it was really sweet. Not cutesy or hipster in the slightest.

Watch Rushmore right now.

So there are actors and voice actors, they can't be both? Who are you, Cremers? The animation is brilliant, one of the most detailed films I've ever seen.

Some actors just can't apply that chameleon-like quality to their voices like they can for their live-action roles, no matter how hard they try. George Clooney, Owen Wilson, Meryl Streep, and Jason Schwartzman's voices are so recognizable to the point where I'm drawn out of the film.

That's why there are professional voice actors out there, those that can adapt and change their voice to fit the characters they're voicing.

no avoid Rushmore, Jason Schwartzman is horrible, horrible in anything he does. Ugh and ugly too.