What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Just got back from Raiders of the Lost Ark IMAX. Holy shit. It was amazing. Absolutely incredible. The music, oh my, the music. It was way up in the mix, and with IMAX audio system it was essentially bathing you in John Williams' score. At first I thought it was just because my ears were naturally more tuned-in to the score, but no, it was in your face. And the quality sounded fantastic. I can't remember the last time a score absolutely dominated a mix like this. I wish I saw it earlier in the re-release run because I would see it again without hesitation.

I'd KILL to see the original workprint of Hook. Seriously, I'd kill a guy

That would be utterly amazing--the workprint, not the killing of a guy. There's some stuff that I think would enhance the film--if we could see the scene where Rufio challenges Peter to fight, fly, and crow after the Lost Boys chase (rather than simply declaring he can't), then that moment where Peter crows would just be in a whole other realm, a great payoff.

Another Spielberg I'd like to see deleted scenes for is The Terminal. I'd love to see the original ending. I think the reported explanation that people might've thought it too sweet or corny is silly, given the rest of the film. I feel like the film is building to the original ending and then makes a left turn at Albuquerque fifteen minutes before the end, and it kind of throws me a bit.

One other thing: I think all films with significant music alterations should have, as a bonus feature at least, the scenes as they were originally scored. Can you imagine Alien: The Jerry Goldsmith Cut?

I'm excited to see Barry Lyndon tonight.

How was it? I am considering for ages to buy that movie, as I have seen almost every good costume movie made already. I heard it is good, but overly long and with voice overs.

I'm actually seeing it tonight instead.

Which "costume movies" do you like?

I especially like the ones with a bit of historic truth in them, preferably depicting the period around 1800.

These are my favorites, in order of appreciation:

1) The Count of Monte Cristo (2002) (my fav movie of all time)

2) Captain Blood (1935)

3) Copying Beethoven (2006)

4) The Young Victoria (2009)

5) The Scarlet Pimpernel (1982)

6) The Mask of Zorro (1998)

7) The Affair of the Necklace (2001)

8) The Man in the Iron Mask (1998)

9) Sense and Sensibility (1995)

10) Pride and Prejudice (TV) (1995)

11) Pride and Prejudice (2005)

12) Nannerl, Mozart's Sister (2010)

13) Mansfield Park (1999)

14) Valmont (1989)

15) The Duchess (2008)

16) Becoming Jane (2007)

Do you have any other suggestions?

Yes, although you phrase it in a strange way.

I love about Kubrick that he seems to approach stuff in his films in a very specific manner for that film, setting, genre, whatever, but at the same time it's still purely Kubrickian.

Lawless

John Hillcoat and Nick Cave team up again for this prohibition western. Even though it's a given, the film is beautifully shot. Wonderful contrast and soft lighting in the darker scenes. Cave and Ellis' score is a toss up of traditional score and songs. The former is very much rooted in their style, but with a heavy dose of rockabilly influences. The latter are songs, unoriginal and original, interpreted by them (The Bootleggers) to aid the narrative. The film is very much song-driven in this regard, with some bits of nice underscore here and there. The film has a nice pace to it, not too fast nor too slow. Shia LaBeouf and Guy Pearce give great performances, both doing rather excellent jobs of making you dislike them. Tom Hardy more or less just grumbles through his role, but he doesn't hurt the film in any way. Jessica Chastain is simply gorgeous, and is good in her role. I hope she does more and more films, loved her in The Tree Of Life. If you've seen the trailer, you've seen all of Gary Oldman. A small role, but his presence alone carries much weight. If you've seen The Proposition, then you'll know how violent this one is.

The main narrative itself is well told, but there are a couple subplots that are one-dimensional - the two love stories between Hardy and Chastain and LaBeouf and Wasikowska. The latter particularly could be cut and the film wouldn't be any different. I wish they had kept the original title, The Wettest County In The World.

Yes, although you phrase it in a strange way.

Above all, it's a Kubrick film.

Is that better?

That's what I was wondering too.

You too?

I'm sorry i misread...you guys are arguing about phrasing, I was talking about the movie. Anyway I should have stayed out of it.

What was the original ending of The Terminal?

Amelia actually ends up going into New York with Viktor. I'm thinking Williams was reflecting this original ending with the track title "'Destiny'...'Canneloni'...and the Tale of Viktor Navorski Reprise." The outcome of the Viktor/Amelia relationship is the only thing that doesn't jive with the overall direction of the film. It's already a contemporary Capra kind of thing, why worry about being seen as too sweet or corny? I want Jimmy Stewart to get the girl in a Capra movie, ya know?

The Expendables 2

This movie is where testosterone lives!

The first one was a entertaining, if somewhat underwhelming film. The concept was good, but there was something lacking in the execution.

This one nails it. It's almost two hours of unrelenting R rated violence, loud explosions, macho male bonding, cheesy yet cool one liners and fun references to previous action films.

The cast has to be seen to believed. Sly, Ah'nuld, Bruce Willis, JCvD, Lundgren, Chuck Norris, Statham, Jet Li....

Apart from Willis none of them are actually good actors, but even in old age they ooze screen presence.

Actually Willis feels a bit out of place in this film.

Stallone as an actor may have an extremely limited range, but within that range he's authoritative and convincing. Van Damme is good as a slimy, grandstanding villian. Statham is in good form as Sly's partner, Lundgren makes for great comic relief, while still looking badass. Liam Hemsworth is actually memorable as the "kid' of the team

Actually despite the massive amount of violence, there's a certain warmth oozing from the film. Which makes it just a little more then a blood and guts action film.

Also it's not a dumb film, even though some people might view it as such. Stallone is a smart man. The plot may be ridiculous and contrived, but someone put a lot of thought into it. And it's not just made for everyone. If you don't like it if the film grinds to a halt to spend two minutes with Chuck Norris entering the scene with The Good The Bad And The Ugly in the background and making fun of the Chuck Norris Facts meme then this film simply wasn't made for you.

The direction is solid, the action looks real despite being totally ridiculous. I appreciate the fact that the stunt and effects all look live action rather then CGI. Also rather like the fact that when they did use CGI, it's instantly noticeable. (it's cruder then most big budget action films these days).

Solid action score by Brain Tyler. (Top Gear will have have no shortage of cues from this to use) The main theme strikes me as a simplified version of Goldsmith's Rambo 3 theme.

This might be an Alex Cremers film!

Speaking of which:

2012-09-14235332.jpg

*** out of **** stars

Ford's film choices are as baffling as Liam Neeson's. Harrison doesn't exactly stretch himself in the movies he had done in the last decade and Neeson wastes good talent in action and survival horror. Woe is them!

I would really want to see Ford in a complete opposite of his usual choices, like a crazy Jack Nicholson styled extrovert bad guy. Anything to get him away from the grumpy or tight lipped tormented good guy.

I'm very curious to seem him in 42, where he will play Branch Rickey. I mean, look at him! It's perfect casting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPV-O_caBrs

And I'm also looking forward to see what he'll do on Ender's Game, although from the script I've read, his character is only on the first two pages! :lol:

But yes, I agree. Some more challenging roles would be nice.

I actually thought Liam Neeson would've been perfect for the role that Harrison Ford played in Extraordinary Measures. It's like it was written with Neeson in mind. Liam can do 'angry and upset' as if it's second nature to him while with Ford everything quickly leans towards overacting these days. He used to be much better when he didn't try so hard. Also, I don't think there are many directors out there who will question him.

Alex

Ford's film choices are as baffling as Liam Neeson's. Harrison doesn't exactly stretch himself in the movies he had done in the last decade and Neeson wastes good talent in action and survival horror. Woe is them!

Liam Neeson kinda just does whatever ever since his wife died. I don't blame him.

Liam Neeson kinda just does whatever ever since his wife died. I don't blame him.

Yeah that could be it. Whatever pays the bills.

Just saw Schindler's List for the first time. Although I have been playing JW's theme for almost 20 years on the violin, upon hearing the full theme at the end of the movie I just coulndt stop crying. I thought I would be so familair with the music that it couldn;t happen, but it's the combi of music and images that does it.

Just saw Schindler's List for the first time. Although I have been playing JW's theme for almost 20 years on the violin, upon hearing the full theme at the end of the movie I just coulndt stop crying. I thought I would be so familair with the music that it couldn;t happen, but it's the combi of music and images that does it.

The music really made me turn on the waterworks the first time I saw the film. The moment at Schindler's grave is just that powerful. I think it is an emotional catharsis for all that has happened in the film, not about Schindler but about the Jews and the horror and tragedy of the holocaust.

The music really made me turn on the waterworks the first time I saw the film. The moment at Schindler's grave is just that powerful. I think it is an emotional catharsis for all that has happened in the film, not about Schindler but about the Jews and the horror and tragedy of the holocaust.

Yes I think so. The scene on itself isn't even very emotional...but it is like one is finally allowed to grieve, together with the survivors, about all the horrible things that happened. Funny to see it works the same way for other people too (I mean getting emotional only at the very end of the movie).