Why do you visit JWFan?

Jeff

31 members have voted

1. 1. What's the primary reason you keep coming back to this site?

• To reinforce your love and admiration for John Williams.
    • To broaden your horizons and explore other composers' work.
    • To interact with online "friends" and enjoy conversation and debate on a broad range of topics.
    • To keep up-to-date on film/music news and other hot topics.
    • Other (specify in a post below)

Maybe this is a loaded question, but I think if this site is going to last another decade, it might help if the moderators and members understand why we're all here.

If you have another answer, I'll add it to the poll.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know.

Perhaps beacuse I'm a Williams nut and like to speak about my favourite composers with fellow nuts? (although I'm surprised so few are into the early things I've posted recently....I thought people would be ALL OVER this stuff in a Williams forum). On the other hand, there are quite a few topics that seem very hot around here that don't interest me very much too, so I guess that goes both ways.

I like self-reflexive topics like this one (or "meta-topics", as I call them).

Options 1 & 3.

If film JW was the sole reason for me posting here then I'd have already left a long time ago. The board has grown and developed into much more than just John Williams fandom, as far as I'm concerned. I know others think the same.

I pick Amy Winehouse, oh wait no one cares about her, especially her.

All of the above, but a little less of option 2 than the others. Also because it's a source of comfort. (See Blu's "comfort food" poll).

Maybe this is a loaded question, but I think if this site is going to last another decade, it might help if the moderators and members understand why we're all here.

This place is not going to die. Yes, sometimes the oldies walk away. Sometimes the favorites find something else. Heck sometimes members die and we never see or hear from them again, never knowing what happened.

I've posted at some forums for 15+ years...I've lurked here for a few years before even making an account, and that was 6 years ago. People come...people go. But the people that come and become a part of the community help shape the community in some way, and their personalities become imprinted into the net personality of the forums. The forum culture, if you will, which lives on. And as long as we have that, and money for a server, this place will live on, different but very much the same as it is now.

I come here for the women.

What women?

Obviously he meant to say a woman. MissPadmé is the only female poster who still posts regularly.

Options 3 and 4 for me.

This board is one of the more civilized message boards I visit, I mean other than Starship Modeler. Grant we have had heated arguments but they don't get out of control like on FSM.

What women?

Obviously he meant to say a woman. MissPadmé is the only female poster who still posts regularly.

What? Where's Ren?

I like to wear silk stockings and a bra every other Tuesday. Does that count?

So tempting...

Two words: Stefan Cosman.

No, but seriously, it's honestly all of the above. I originally joined the site because I had questions about assembling a complete ROTS edit (my first edit ever), but honestly, all the options are equally important to me now.

Because I can't talk about the the statement of the Raiders theme when Indy swings into the minecart anywhere else.

Because I can't talk about the statement of the orca theme when Brody climbs the mast in 'Blown to Bits' anywhere else.

Because I can't talk about....ect ect ect.

Because I can't talk about the the statement of the Raiders theme when Indy swings into the minecart anywhere else.

Because I can't talk about the statement of the orca theme when Brody climbs the mast in 'Blown to Bits' anywhere else.

Because I can't talk about....ect ect ect.

True dat.

I thought this was a silly question at first. It's become more interesting the more I think about it. Why the hell do I still come here, ten years later. . . ?

There's something about communities based on certain premeses where people find a level of comfort they just can't get anywhere else. I think part of it, too, is that (to some degree) we're all self-fancied "experts" on this subject. It's a topic that's esoteric, complex, and holds a certain inherent value. In a roomful of random people, we're likely to know more—a lot more—about it than anyone else present. That counts for something. And we want to spend time with others who understand it too. It allows us to be part of a "think tank" on the subject, if you will.

And coming here gives us that extra sense of purpose and identity that being part of a group that includes Steef naturally affords.

What else could there be. . . ?

- Uni

Because I have never met a person in real life who shares my interest in film scores.

This as well. :up:

Unfortunately, this is true for me, as well. :(

You guys are the ONLY people that I know who are as passionate about J.W. as I am.

The only other person who even approaches my adoration of all things J.W. is a close friend of mine, and he only likes J.W. because he listens to J.W. music when he's at my home. Needless to say, he's been educated over the years... ;)