Will Expanded Hook be relased this year?

King Mark

37 members have voted

1. 1. Will Hook be released this year?

• Yes, the hints are obvious and we should expect an announcement soon
    • No, the hints were just meant to tease us and there is no release planned
    • Maybe within the next few years but don;t expect anything soon
    • Forget it, Master tapes are sealed off in a vault forever.
    • It will be released next year

They have a licensing deal with Sony. If JW didn't record it at the HOOK sessions which were paid for by Sony/Columbia, why/how on earth should they include it in the set

Why? Because it's part of the Hook music.

How? I don't know, I didn't know that.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They won't be included, but luckily, you can buy "Williams on Williams: The Classic Spielberg Scores" for $0.40 right here and they are yours!

Everything recorded for Hook fits on two 80 minute discs.

That includes alternates and unused music. No concert arrangements were recorded.

I thought that concert versions were recorded. In spite of this, the complete score + alternates/unused cues would be a good presentation.

The track "Exit Music" on the Concord boot was thought to be a concert arrangement, but now its believed to be the second half of the End Credits (which was replaced by music tracked from Tink's Arrival & Farewell Neverland in the film and all boots)

Hook would be a milestone release. I can see that La-La Land would want to save it for their 200th release. Personally I'm inclined to believe that it will be saved for such a time.

Edit: I have to agree with Jason about the "Exit Music" bit.

The track "Exit Music" on the Concord boot was thought to be a concert arrangement, but now its believed to be the second half of the End Credits (which was replaced by music tracked from Tink's Arrival & Farewell Neverland in the film and all boots)

I thought that Exit Music was an alternate section of Finale

Nope.

Definitely not?

It was either the only theme to get a concert arrangement, or it was the second half of the end credits. It makes sense to be the latter since the first half of the end credits is also original (up until the bit from The Lost Boys Chase), and you can hear bad editing in the parts tracked from Tink's Arrival and Farewell Neverland after that (like it was thrown together hastily after deciding not to use the original second half)

Nope.

However, it would fit well on the final scene.

No, it wouldn't, not at all.

Besides, we already have the sheet music that confirms that music heard in the film and on the OST is Williams original intentions for the finale.

Yes, it would. I'm not talking about every take of every cue, obviously. Just the final mixed version of every cue.

I think people think there's more music than 2 CDs because of the various 3-4 discs bootleg that are circulating. However, those boots are filled with a lot of re-recordings taken from various compilation albums, like the BPO Williams On Williams, Kunzel's Great Fantasy Adventure Album and even a few infamous early Silva Screen re-recordings, not counting also several OST album alternates and even a few DVD-ripped tracks.

The only reason to have more than 2 CDs is to include the remastered OST album.

I think people think there's more music than 2 CDs because of the various 3-4 discs bootleg that are circulating. However, those boots are filled with a lot of re-recordings taken from various compilation albums, like the BPO Williams On Williams, Kunzel's Great Fantasy Adventure Album and even a few infamous early Silva Screen re-recordings, not counting also several OST album alternates and even a few DVD-ripped tracks.

The only reason to have more than 2 CDs is to include the remastered OST album.

yes, i had in mind the 4cds that are circulating, but if you take out the rerecordings etc that you say, couldn't it make it still to a 3rd cd? It doesn't have to be 70 minutes, just 30 minutes more like the 3rd cd of Golden child I think?

e.g. I would go for 2 cd of the complete film score as heard in the film (let's say at about 120 minutes), and then a 3rd cd with the alternates, unused, ost tracks like the songs, prologue (=trailer music) etc.)

I can't believe that such obscure scores (comparing to Hook) like Breakdown or Golden child can have 3 cds and Hook can't.

(note also that the film Breakdown is just 93 minutes and it filled 3cds, and Hook which is 144 minutes can't?)

I can't believe that such obscure scores (comparing to Hook) like Breakdown or Golden child can have 3 cds and Hook can't.

(note also that the film Breakdown is just 93 minutes and it filled 3cds, and Hook which is 144 minutes can't?)

But Williams never composed a discarded score for it. I doubt that he recorded any songs apart from the vomit-inducing version of WHEN YOU'RE ALONE, so that leaves the Prologue as single entity not belonging in the film but recorded for it. It certainly makes sense to release two versions of the ULTIMATE WAR (8 minutes) and the NEVER-FEAST (5 minutes). This could still fit on the 2-disc scenario.

I doubt that he recorded any songs apart from the vomit-inducing version of WHEN YOU'RE ALONE,

OMG!!!!!!

I think this is in the top 3 songs ever writen for a film!!!

well, if we put Rufio (unused) + Banning back home (album version) + When you're alone + we don't wanna grow up (album version) + prologue they make around 10 minutes.

Add ultimate war and never feast alternates, some granny wendy, stories are true alternates, finale, rufio vs hook alternates etc. and they could make half an hour total..

The main reason those fan-made sets are 3 or 4 discs is because they repeat the same material over and over. Even the Concorde bootleg that got pressed features a ton of repeated material.

Trust me when I say the complete score fits on two discs. I used to think it would need 3 discs as well until I sat down and actually studied everything.

On LLL's fb, amongst the 55 Days to Peking guesses, someone posted 'Hook', and Neil responded with: "Whose reality, yours or mine?" (In reference to that Kentucky filmed fry I never heard of.)

I think based on what I know about the amount of unreleased music in Hook 2 CDs would probably suffice for the complete score and most significant alternates and bonus tracks. 3rd disc would probably be repetetive collection of cues with minor variation.

I think it depends on the score on case to case basis what approach in releasing the complete score is the best. Naturally the complete film score should be presented but the extra material to be included with it, alternates, rewrites etc. should be chosen with care so as to present the most interesting and enlightening pieces of music not heard previously, not every take of every cue. First of all it is not an archive they are producing but a CD release. Secondly most of the takes do not add anything to the experience, either being incomplete or partial ones or with minimal differences in orchestration or assembly.

To present e.g. a 5 minute piece again for 10 seconds of different material which is not absolutely devastatingly mind bogglingly pure ambrosia is simply not very purposeful. You waste 5 minutes of CD space for 10 seconds which really does not add much to the whole. Yes there might be some seconds of pure ambrosia of film music magic lost by this logic but the CD releases are not raw materials no matter how the modern technology would make us feel on the subject. They still have to be produced and thought out, no one is going to pour all the tapes on CD and sell them.

People need to be prepared to receive such a set and not see their favourite alternate, given how complex a score Hook is.

There is only one score for which I've kept the sessions exactly as they came, without removing any alternates, but it's because for that particular one, the subtly different scoring techniques were almost more interesting than the score itself.

That mentality doesn't apply to the vast majority of scores.

Humor me gentlemen, I've been off the JW scene for a while. Where are some of these "Obvious Hints" this poll speaks of? I'm a huge fan of Hook and would love this to be true.

Here is 100% of the times MV has mentioned anything Hook related:

November 26th, 2010:

Man with Star Trek 5 being released this has made my year. I was hoping too that sometime or another one of the labels would release Home Alone's complete score is a nice addition. I don't mind Hook not being with this batch, I guess it's a matter of time. smile.gif

Remember, the 20th Anniversary of Home Alone comes before the 20th Anniversary of Hook. wink.gif

MV

September 8th, 2011:

Oh man how I wish I could attend this! I should have moved to LA years ago....

If LLL does this for Hook, I might just buy a plane ticket wink.gif

The Hook screening is gonna be - - - wait a second. You trying to trick me?

Why I oughtta. . .

MV

Which was immediately followed up with:

I take that was an anouncement of HOOK coming this year biggrin.gif

No, it was just a joke.

MV

And of course yesterday's

Check out my interview with Matessino on www.jwfan.com, where he drops a hint at the end that a new Williams release is coming soon.

Fingers crossed he was referring to Hook.

He wasn't. smile.gif

MV

I'm not saying LLL isn't working on Hook.... I'm just saying Matessino wasn't referring to it when he said a new Williams title was being announced soon.

Things get delayed all the time. Maybe when MV made that comment in November of last year he thought they could get Hook out by the end of this year, but now they can't.

Or maybe they aren't even working on it at all, and we are all reading too much into what MV says!

• 1 month later...

It looks very doubtful that we'll get it by Christmas. At least, not from LLL. Still, I'll be crossing my fingers.

MV mentioned something about some releases that were supposed to be released for Black Friday 2010, and now they've been pushed to Black Friday 2012. Maybe Hook will be in one of those.

MV mentioned something about some releases that were supposed to be released for Black Friday 2010, and now they've been pushed to Black Friday 2012. Maybe Hook will be in one of those.

That's what I thought too.