Brand New Tintin samples appear on Cinezik.org, Amazon and Qobuz

eitam

But I can't think of too many examples where JW actually combined his own music with existing classical pieces...

In Witches of Eastwick, he leads from an orchestral tutti from Dvorak's cello concerto into a coda incorporating Dvorak's theme and one of his own from the score... for me one of the best (and best-working) examples of a merge of this kind :)

Yes you are right!

And the way "Setting the Trap" starts? Maybe. Although this might be just a case of JW thinking of a good segue...

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, more new samples!!! Yay!!

Amazing how many of these overlap with the previous two site's samples. We could have 30 minutes of the 65 minute CD by now if they were all different..... instead we have maybe 20 minutes tops?

I don't really have much time to comment now as I'm about to leave for Boston for the day..... I'll be able to examine more when I get back. However, I will say:

1. Still no Eye Of Bagghar Theme in ANY of the samples from the 3 websites! Maybe Williams' excised it from the OST?

2. The Adventure Continues appears to be a concert arrangement that merely starts with Duelling Pirates!

I love "The Captain's Counsel". It's one of those hartwarming Williams pieces.

The way it starts reminds me very slightly of "You are the Pan." :) (the amazon sample)

____

The second track "Snowy's Theme" seems to be an original arrangement, after all... a concert piece, in other words. What is heard at the end of the amazon sample is "Snowy's Chase," only slightly altered. Different orchestration, and maybe a couple of different notes.

I don't really have much time to comment now as I'm about to leave for Boston for the day..... I'll be able to examine more when I get back. However, I will say:

1. Still no Eye Of Bagghar Theme in ANY of the samples from the 3 websites! Maybe Williams' excised it from the OST?

2. The Adventure Continues appears to be a concert arrangement that merely starts with Duelling Pirates!

The Adventure Continues samples from the first website is obviously the beginning of the number. In the samples from the latter two websites the theme is more powerful, probably a repeat after the first round of the theme. But instead of finishing it the second time it goes on to introduce the b section, in major, but the ending of the sample sounds like it's going back to the main theme again (because it's similar to the beginning).

That's how it sounds to me. But why speculate? The soundtrack will be ours in 6 days!

That's how it sounds to me. But why speculate? The soundtrack will be ours in 6 days!

So, if the downloadable version is available in 6 days (Oct. 21) while the OS album is released in 9 days (Oct. 24), you guys are gonna download it? Just curious.

This is like JW only made an short and satisfying motif for the main character himself and several longer themes around him: the Unicorn, Haddock. And even though Milou's motif is short he seems to play around with it a lot, not to mention the very cool piratey music.

So, if the downloadable version is available in 6 days (Oct. 21) while the OS album is released in 9 days (Oct. 24), you guys are gonna download it? Just curious.

I will download it as soon as I can but will purchase the CD when it becomes available. Oct. 21 is my birthday so it wouldn't be too shabby!

I will download it as soon as I can but will purchase the CD when it becomes available. Oct. 21 is my birthday so it wouldn't be too shabby!

So you're gonna buy it twice, then? The downloadable version will be somewhat cheaper, but still... dunno. It's only 3 days.

So you're gonna buy it twice, then? The downloadable version will be somewhat cheaper, but still... dunno. It's only 3 days.

Well, I wouldn't want to break the law by download it from some torrent site, now would I? Being a professional musician and all, my job depending on CD sales among other things...

Although some might find it justifying to download it for free if you then buy a copy when it hits the stores.

That theme might appear in Flight to Bagghar or the Pursuit of the Falcon. Otherwise, I have no idea what the Eye is supposed to be :lol:

Well, I wouldn't want to break the law by download it from some torrent site, now would I? Being a professional musician and all, my job depending on CD sales among other things...

Although some might find it justifying to download it for free if you then buy a copy when it hits the stores.

Yeah, I might buy it twice too.

Maybe listen to the downloaded version, and then keep the OS album unopened on my shelf. (Somebody has to post Spielberg's liner notes here, though.)

Oh I'll be downloading it alright. And you will be too.

The Adventure Continues appears to be a concert arrangement that merely starts with Duelling Pirates!

So I was probably right that maybe Spielberg requested Williams to write an end credit suite basing with that theme :)

Guys, I don't know what more you could ask from a new JW score--to my ears all of this sounds so exciting and fresh, like it was written by a youthful up-and-coming composer. Can't wait to listen to the whole thing!

After another sample Snowy's theme reminds me of the Tennis Game from the Witches of Eastwick because of the playful piano work in it.

And it has to be said that the score, as noted before, seems highly thematic with significant melodies for the characters making constant appearances through out these clips.

Listen to Shostakovich's piano concerto No.2 (1st movement). It reminded me a lot of that. (the rhythm, the piano 8ves, the harmony and the melodic scales used)

After another sample Snowy's theme reminds me of the Tennis Game from the Witches of Eastwick because of the playful piano work in it.

And it has to be said that the score, as noted before, seems highly thematic with significant melodies for the characters making constant appearances through out these clips.

Listen to Shostakovich's piano concerto No.2 (1st movement). It reminded me a lot of that. (the rhythm, the piano 8ves, the harmony and the melodic scales used)

That's right! A very similar techniques applied, the fast chromatic lines played two octaves apart, the constantly shifting key...Great catch.

Yes, spot-on observation. There are quite a few Russian reminiscences all throughout these samples. I caught also a nice Prokofiev-esque vibes in several spots (esp. the main theme, when played on trumpet). But I also felt a kind of French air akin to composers like Milhaud and Poulenc.

heck amazon.uk still lists 19 tracks.

I hope the UK gets an exclusive soundtrack :lol:

Not here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005VS9VII/ref=sr_1_album_1_rd?ie=UTF8&child=B005VS9WBY&qid=1318689659&sr=1-1

This is the mp3 download link.

The old link you're referring to is the CD link, but it also contains the old temporary cover art work. So the list was probably temporary to begin with.

Okay, so I just realized that what filmcomposer said

But I will say that the pinch of Jurassic Park is a bit of half-action music…more just intense (I don’t mean scary) and millitaristic brass figures…except in Tintin it’s an actual action cue that is sped up.

was dead on. That military brass march at the end of "Journey to the Island" was exactly what I first thought too, when I heard the first part of "Sir Francis and the Unicorn." (Sorry if this has already been pointed out elsewhere.) ;)

And another random observation while I am listening to these samples:

In this video, 2:37-2:58 sounds very "European" (for want of a better word), highly reminiscent of The Terminal. I wonder, though, whether that small bit 2:53-2:56 (that part always makes me grin for some reason - so dorky and fun) is perhaps a minor motif. I doubt it, but you just know that this is a sync point of some kind, and something funny has just happened at that moment... :)

Here is pretty much all the music we have so far edited together: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMSEStLSPH0

Speaking about FilmComposer, I would really like to state again that EVERYTHING he said was 100% the truth and I feel like such an ass for doubting him.

Speaking about FilmComposer, I would really like to state again that EVERYTHING he said was 100% the truth and I feel like such an ass for doubting him.

Yes. I doubted him too at first (well, a little), but after a while I believed him 100%. :P

So are you praising his trust worthiness or that he was completely right in comparing this score to the prior Williams scores as he did?

Oh and yes the revelation that the rhythmic action motif from Red Rackham track does indeed have a slight JP feel to it. I also hear *gasp* a shade of KotCS in it, specifically the military opening of the film, the march when the Russians infiltrate the Area 51.

Okay, so I just realized that what filmcomposer said

But I will say that the pinch of Jurassic Park is a bit of half-action music…more just intense (I don’t mean scary) and millitaristic brass figures…except in Tintin it’s an actual action cue that is sped up.

was dead on. That military brass march at the end of "Journey to the Island" was exactly what I first thought too, when I heard the first part of "Sir Francis and the Unicorn." (Sorry if this has already been pointed out elsewhere.) ;)

What it even more sounds like (with regard to melodic contour), is the motif from "Bone Man Ben" from Davis's JP3 (which itself was very reminiscent of Williams's visitor center arrival march).

So are you praising his trust worthiness or that he was completely right in comparing this score to the prior Williams scores as he did?

No, I meant that he in fact is a composer working in the industry (and we definately know too ;) ) and that he had access to the scores of Tintin and War Horse.

No, I meant that he in fact is a composer working in the industry (and we definately know too ;) ) and that he had access to the scores of Tintin and War Horse.

But wait a minute.

It just came to me... weren't you the one who kept vouching for him? (Or was it somebody else? I forgot.)

Well you tend to develop a healthy cynicism in the internet where anybody can claim to be anyone they like. I am just glad we have such a guy here and he is indeed who he says he is and that he was able to share some of his thoughts on the music beforehand. His analysis and comparisons proved pretty accurate. :)

What it even more sounds like (with regard to melodic contour), is the motif from "Bone Man Ben" from Davis's JP3 (which itself was very reminiscent of Williams's visitor center arrival march).

Hmmm, I don't know that Davis's motif (I don't have the OS album of JP3), but it was probably influenced or inspired by JW's original piece as well, yes... :)

But wait a minute.

It just came to me... weren't you the one who kept vouching for him? (Or was it somebody else? I forgot.)

Haha - DEFINATELY wasn't me. I gave him hell at first.

I am wondering.

When the samples of KotCS were released back in 2008 (and before we have listened to the album) weren't we kind of

:drool::cheer::drool:

too?

:P

Oh okay. Sorry.

But who it again? filmcomposer kept referring to a longstanding member here to vouch for him...

But wait a minute.

Did you have to drink the blood of Kali before became A True Believer? ;)

I am wondering.

When the samples of KotCS were released back in 2008 (and before we have listened to the album) weren't we kind of

too?

Yah. ;)

I am wondering.

too?

Oh okay. Sorry.

But who it again? filmcomposer kept referring to a longstanding member here to vouch for him...

Oh, I vouched for him after I got to know him. ;)

Oh, so it was you!

Okay, I misunderstood you at first. I thought you were doubting him along with the rest of us here on this board... But you were talking about when you yourself first got to know him.

And another random observation while I am listening to these samples:

...I wonder, though, whether that small bit 2:53-2:56 (that part always makes me grin for some reason - so dorky and fun) is perhaps a minor motif. I doubt it, but you just know that this is a sync point of some kind, and something funny has just happened at that moment... :)

Here is pretty much all the music we have so far edited together: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMSEStLSPH0

Yes, this is a part of the Tinker-Tin motif (the second phrase (answer)) that leaked on sheet music a few months ago.post-19801-0-79140900-1318706291_thumb.p

I still like KotCS and consider it a good score. But Tintin after hearing all the samples seems to be better and much more creative on JW end.

The pirate piece and its treatment seems familiar to what happened in LC with Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra. A great motif which Spielberg and Williams must have liked enough to provide special concert treatment (in Adventure Continues). If that isnt old school ;)

Oh, so it was you!

Okay, I misunderstood you at first. I thought you were doubting him along with the rest of us here on this board... But you were talking about when you yourself first got to know him.

At first I really thought he was a fraud and was very vocal about it on the board. We then started PM'ing and soon I realized how wrong I was to doubt him. Ever since I vouched for him.

Oh, so it was you!

At first I really thought he was a fraud and was very vocal about it on the board. We then started PM'ing and soon I realized how wrong I was to doubt him. Ever since I vouched for him.

Well, I remember I was pretty skeptical too, but then I decided to (cautiously) believe him, since I wanted to believe what he had to say...

He was pretty enthusiastic about both scores, especially about WH.

Yes, this is a part of the Tinker-Tin motif (the second phrase (answer)) that leaked on sheet music a few months ago.post-19801-0-79140900-1318706291_thumb.p

Man, that's good!

There are really many many catchy moments in this score... and all we have so far are a bunch of 30-second samples!

Can't wait for the CD!!! :ola:

Oh, so it was you!

Well, I remember I was pretty skeptical too, but then I decided to (cautiously) believe him, since I wanted to believe what he had to say...

He was pretty enthusiastic about both scores, especially about WH.

I think Tintin score won him over gradually as well although he considered War Horse still better. :)