WAR HORSE score premieres Saturday on WQXR (Streaming online as well)

publicist

Sounds like Williams has blended his late 80's/early 90's style with his 21st century style in a perfect way for this score. The only bad thing now is waiting 2 months for the CD.

Less than a month!

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna re-upload my youtube videos, the sound quality is bad. Stand by again...

Thank you so much. Listened to your first uploads. It was the only way I was able to listen to the music since I can only use the internet on my iPhone right now. Loved the music..! ;)

Did you people all lose your minds? When in the 10+ year history of this board have we ever allowed direct mp3 linking????

07 - You may embed videos of - or include a link to sites that stream - copyrighted material. However, links to sites where copyrighted material can be illegally downloaded are not allowed. You may link to legal streaming/download sites or to places where people can listen to your own compositions or recordings, for example.

Read the full rules here: http://www.jwfan.com...showtopic=20175

I'm editing / deleting all your posts that contains links to mp3 downloads. You should all know better than this.

Can anyone confirm or deny:

The theme heard at around 6:16 of The Homecoming, is that a rendition of a song from the stage show..??

Man, the two main thematic ideas in The Homecoming are played out beautifully. Terrific music, absolutely wonderful. Can't wait to hear all of this in glorious quality. The textures and color will really be clear enough to get a true understanding of what Williams was able to accomplish.

Well, then maybe track 15 is the last scene of the movie and the end credits, and The Homecoming is a concert arrangement.

The section of The Homecoming where the music skipping along while a quite horn is playing a solo line at 5:27, until the rest of the orchestra seems to notice, then respect it, becoming silent only momentarily until it joins the idea at 5:38 is amazing.

I think I'm going to like this score. :love:

"The Homecoming" definitely sounds like a concert arrangement but the end of it sounds like it will almost certainly be tracked into the End Credits.

I can already imagine being the only one left in the theatre until the very end of the piece with the cleaning crews rolling their eyes that I'm still there. :sigh:

Wow. Staggeringly beautiful and powerful music!

Williams is definitely channeling the English folk song feel of some of Vaughan Williams' works, preseting us with musical spiritual cousins to his A Lark Ascending and Fantasia on the Theme of Thomas Tallis as well. Here his power of allusion without his music becoming plagiarism is as vivid as ever, the music original but most definitely evoking the English pastoral music and folk music in its contours. The music simply exudes powerful imagery of beautiful nature in the instrumental choices and the gentle lilt of its pace, the exhilaration of a horse race and as a contrast the harsh horrors of war in rather dissonant militaristic passages that are coupled with grim heroism.

The pastoral passages remind me a lot of his concert works, especially the oboe solos.

I can't wait to get my hands on the soundtrack CD!

You could not ask for any sunnier ending than The Homecoming. Beautiful, bringing all the ideas together for one last suite. :) And I strongly believe this to be the End Credits. Could be that the first few minutes might be from the final scene of the film but the suite sounds definitely like End Credits.

Why don't you just listen to the uploaded youtube videos?

It's another winner btw.

Karol

Ah, good idea.

Wow, these sound fantastic. Especially the last one.

I can hear slight Bot4J references in The Homecoming. No Man's Land does kick butt, doesn't it. Overall, I can't wait (especially having heard these snippets from the preview of the show).

Williams is definitely channeling the English folk song feel of some of Vaughan Williams' works, preseting us with musical spiritual cousins to his A Lark Ascending and Fantasia on the Theme of Thomas Tallis as well. Here his power of allusion without his music becoming plagiarism is as vivid as ever, the music original but most definitely evoking the English pastoral music and folk music in its contours. The music simply exudes powerful imagery of beautiful nature in the instrumental choices and the gentle lilt of its pace, the exhilaration of a horse race and as a contrast the harsh horrors of war in rather dissonant militaristic passages that are coupled with grim heroism.

This gives me more hope for the movie as well. The music sounds - for Hollywood/Spielberg standards - very sophisticated and could prevent the movie from becoming Horner-type maudlin saccharine mush.

Fo instance, i love the melodies of LEGENDS OF THE FALL, but it sure ain't easy to keep a straight face when watching the film with them.

Williams must have seen something staggeringly amazing in this film to write music this evocative. It could easily have just been a Williams-on-autopilot dramatic score, but this feels like he's out to prove something.

This gives me more hope for the movie as well. The music sounds - for Hollywood/Spielberg standards - very sophisticated and could prevent the movie from becoming Horner-type maudlin saccharine mush.

Fo instance, i love the melodies of LEGENDS OF THE FALL, but it sure ain't easy to keep a straight face when watching the film with them.

Yes I agree. Williams' score sounds very emotional and direct yet keeps itself well below the Horner-type mush levels of e.g. Legend of the Fall you mentioned. I could say it sounds emotionally honest to me which bodes well for the score elevating the experience of the film.

I have to say that all the 3 preview tracks sounded so lovingly crafted and indeed showed enthusiasm and inspiration in their lyricism as much as Tintin in its youthful and colorful spirit of adventure.

Here his power of allusion without his music becoming plagiarism is as vivid as ever, the music original but most definitely evoking the English pastoral music and folk music in its contours.

Don't agree with you at all there, Incanus, about the folk music. He's got Ralph Vaugham Willams pastoral vibe down to a tee, but the folky music is Celtic in style. Just so wrong for a film set in Devon. What jars is that JW has been so brilliant at setting the English pastoral scene, and then he blows it by chucking in a load of Celtic (Scottish and Irish diddly di-doh) themes into The Homecoming. The first notes on the flute are a case in point. I know Americans can be geographically challenged, but the English folk tradition bears very little relation to the fiddle/flute heavy 'Celtic' music of Scotland and Ireland. So I was surprised and a little disappointed to see JW had used it. It just jars when the film's homecoming is set in Devon: it doesn't fit, at all. It's like using flamenco music in a film set in Italy. JW knows his music, so I am at a loss to know why he did this.

Certainly for the same reason they put chinese actors in MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA: "only" a few people in the know actually care. I admit, that's polemic, for GEISHA was a racist blunder on an unimaginable scale not comparable with Williams getting his geography a few 100 kilometers wrong.

To put things into perspective, see how populist James Horner treated the celtic music in BRAVEHEART, DEVIL'S OWN, BOBBY JONES and TITANIC to realize how much they care about authenticity. Goldsmith once remarked how geographically the andean pan pipes were all wrong in UNDER FIRE, but it just seemed to work.

John Williams has stated several times that he doesn't do a lot of ethnic-research, but tends to create musical generalisms.. so I can clearly picture that Williams connects this fiddly-flute-mode with Old-English in general, that's wgy he used that sound

It's his intuition..

John Williams has stated several times that he doesn't do a lot of ethnic-research, but tends to create musical generalisms.. so I can clearly picture that Williams connects this fiddly-flute-mode with Old-English in general, that's why he used that sound.

Yes I think this is the reason. Also in film music we many times deal with generilizations, using certain well known stylistic traits that evoke the locale or culture while eschewing 100% authenticity in the either instrumentation, performance or style for the sake of focusing on the drama. Usually the allusion is enough and the audience for the most part won't be offended. For us less knowledgeable Williams' music sounds quite English enough not matter how Irish or Scottish the certain stylistics might be.

I know that the musician/composer/ song writer who did the songs for the theater production will be fuming and blasting this music and Williams for making it too Hollywood.

And I have to admit that I spoke rather broadly on the subject and also have to admit a certain lack of knowledge of what is the English folk music tradition exactly. Can someone give me a few pointers to what I should be listening to, I mean pieces of music or ensembles or artists?

John Williams has stated several times that he doesn't do a lot of ethnic-research, but tends to create musical generalisms.. so I can clearly picture that Williams connects this fiddly-flute-mode with Old-English in general, that's wgy he used that sound

It's his intuition..

Well, I have said many times that film scores don't need to be ethnic music. It just has to sound ethnic when the occasion demands it...

Film scores and ethnic (folk) music are completely different things.

It's his intuition..

Well, I have said many times that film scores don't need to be ethnic music. It just has to sound ethnic when the occasion demands it...

Film scores and ethnic (folk) music are completely different things.

To knowledgeable folk they are not. ;) We are just ignorant to whom the allusion done with broad strokes is enough.

I just saw Memoirs of a Geisha yesterday and to my Western ears it sounded Japanese even though it was nearly completely done with Western symphony orchestra. There were elements of the musical style there or at least what I thought Japanese music should sound and the instrumentation but I am sure Williams' allusions wouldn't stand up closer scrutiny by experts in the music of that particular geographical area.

A film composer doesn't need to study American ethnic music when he scores an American movie, does he? ;)

I just saw Memoirs of a Geisha yesterday and to my Western ears it sounded Japanese even though it was nearly completely done with Western symphony orchestra. There were elements of the musical style there or at least what I thought Japanese music should sound and the instrumentation but I am sure Williams' allusions wouldn't stand up closer scrutiny by experts in the music of that particular geographical area.

And again, there's no need for the music to be that authentic.

I am no expert on Japanese ethnic music, but I am (part) Japanese, and to my ears, the music sounded perfectly fine.

I am not saying that the music should be 100% authentic to the locale. I am perfectly happy with broad allusions to the styles of the local music if they are going that way with the score.

A film composer doesn't need to study American ethnic music when he scores an American movie, does he? ;)

Do diffrentiate between evoking certain geographical place (and time) and colour through music to enhance a film and the movie's country of origin affecting the scoring choices (if it has any bearing at all). ;)

Do diffrentiate between evoking certain geographical place (and time) and colour through music to enhance a film and the movie's country of origin affecting the scoring choices (if it has any bearing at all). ;)

I am.

That's why I said, "It just has to sound ethnic when the occasion demands it..."

And yet, the country of origin is not totally irrelevant, either. If the country of origin is the U.S., the main audience are American, and the music has to sound ethnic to American ears, mostly. (That's generally--of course successful American movies are seen all over the world, I know, but the target audience is still the U.S, or "Western countries").

We are and have been in agreement since the start of this discussion yet there seems to be a lot to discuss. :lol:

Well, my point is, film scores are film scores regardless of whether they were written for a movie set in the U.S., Japan, Russia, Ireland, etc. etc.

Above all, the composer has to have a firm grasp of the story, the feelings any given scene should evoke, etc. etc. Ethnic flavor is only a bonus, so to speak. It's only there to give the movie a sense of place (or time). The composer doesn't need to acquire a deep knowledge of actual ethnic music (although rudimentary knowledge would be helpful of course)...

Well after that, I find the story of Mr Bronislau Kaper staying on Tahiti for weeks to do "research" for Mutiny on the Bounty to be even more amusing...

oohh poor fella.. :D

Hollywood is full of those stories of these musical researches, Miklós Rózsa being perhaps the most famous for doing it on El Cid and other historical or biblical epic projects. His music after all the work sounded like Rózsa through and through even if it was informed by the Spanish musical language.

If I scored films I would find it interesting to study local music/composers. Examples:

If I scored a film set in the USA today I could study John Williams, or popular/traditional music from there. If I scored a film set in old Denmark you'd try out the music of the time if it's known, or try to imagine what if could have been like in its cultural context. If you score a film set in Middle Earth you can easily find references from the real world for each element. If you score a film set in Saturn's orbit everything's up to you (I found a solution for this in a script I'm writing).Or maybe I'm just too obvious. In the end it depends of the film!

Did I just hear John Williams Pirates of the Caribbean music at the beginning of that (fantastic) action piece?

I heard something like that, too.

John's first power anthem.

Ah, much, much better sound quality. I'm digging the dissonant opening minutes of "No Man's Land" -- it clearly Williams but it's not A.I. or Close Encounters or War of the Worlds rehashed. Despite my remarkably mixed feelings about the action music, I think all in all this will be terrific score from Williams.

I love the action material. The part I'm not so keen on is the style I think JW is by far his weakest at - dissonance and tension. The beginning of No Man's Land does little for me, but as soon as the action starts, I'm all over it.

The Reunion is nice but it's not my favourite track - definitely sounds like JW in concert mode. I really want to hear the material with the main theme, which I'm disappointed there was none of in these selections.

Can anyone confirm or deny:

The theme heard at around 6:16 of The Homecoming, is that a rendition of a song from the stage show..??

Ok, can anyone please confirm or deny this? I'm totally unfamiliair with the songs from the stage version of War Horse. A friend of mine heard the piece and his reaction at 6:16 was: "Oh, that's one of the songs from the show arranged by Williams."

The Reunion is nice but it's not my favourite track - definitely sounds like JW in concert mode. I really want to hear the material with the main theme, which I'm disappointed there was none of in these selections.

This being a Spielberg film, we can rest assured that the broad, schmaltzy americana tune will have ample time to shine, Richard. :yes:

Couldn't Homecoming just be from a different portion of the film but out of order on the CD? Maybe Williams just felt it made a great ending to the soundtrack.

Ah, much, much better sound quality. I'm digging the dissonant opening minutes of "No Man's Land" -- it clearly Williams but it's not A.I. or Close Encounters or War of the Worlds rehashed. Despite my remarkably mixed feelings about the action music, I think all in all this will be terrific score from Williams.

I love the action material. The part I'm not so keen on is the style I think JW is by far his weakest act - dissonance and tension. The beginning of No Man's Land does little for me, but as soon as the action starts, I'm all over it.

I share your views on the dissonance and tension in "No Man's Land," and I also share your disappointment that the DJ on WQXR neglected to play a track in which the main theme is given its definitive statement. The waiting continues...

In the show's preview he played about 10 seconds from "The Reunion" track, which is the main one featured in the trailer. It wasn't aired in the actual broadcast last night.