I dare everyone here: make a concert arrangement of the Tintin Theme!

Homeboy

Hi,

I'm kinda new here I know (don't worry, I'm not contagious), but yesterday, I got this great idea..!

I think everyone will agree with me that it's a darn shame there is no concert arrangement of the Tintin theme (I'm sure King Mark will agree here).

The theme has so much potential, but throughout the film, it's only heard more as a catchy motif than as a full fledged theme like The Raider's March. The Raider's March is so good, because there is a fabulous concert arrangement, and thus, whenever it's used as a brief motif, it conjurs up the theme as instantly recognizable.

Soooo... if there is no concert arrangement, why don't WE create one..!

In fact, let's make this a contest..!

Who in here can create a concert arrangement of the theme and post it as an audio or YouTube file..? I think it would be awesome to see (or rather: hear) what you guys come up with, 'cause I know some of you are really talented..!

I dare all of you..!

Great idea Homeboy! I hope some of the wonderful composers here will give this a try!

And welcome to the board!

The Adventure Continues isn't the concert arrangement?

The Adventure Continues is a concert arrangement, but not of Tintin's Theme

It would be cool if soneone would have the guts to make an old-fashioned end credits suite featuring Tintin's theme, Haddock's theme, Snowy's theme, the Unicorn theme and the Adventure Continues theme :)

I'm seeing the first track as the concert arrangement by the way - it's just a jazzy arrangement rather than a traditional one. I'm digging it.

I have to disagree with you on this one. Yes, it could be called a concert arrangement, but it certainly doesn't convey the Tintin theme well as a recognizable melody. It's more of a free form jazzy interpretation that merely references the main theme. I think the opening minute of 'Escape from the Karaboudjan' comes closes to what a true concert arrangement of the theme would sound like.

I think it's great theme and if JW ha reunited the differents elements of it it would have made for a veryy special piece. Probably less heroic and more mysterious. But JW chose Snowy's theme, which is brilliant.

I recognized the theme right away. It's just not a traditional in-your-face arrangement, and I like the score more for it.

You're right, it's not traditional John Williams. The problem is, I LOVE traditional JW concert arrangement of themes, in fact; it's probably the main reason I became a fan in the first place. Besides, its not really a personal opinion of mine that a concert arrangement of the theme is missing from the soundtrack, I think it's something most fans agree upon. To call 'The Adventures Of Tintin' an effective arrangement of presenting the Tintin Theme is a bit of a stretch imo.

I think people who have seen the film refer Adventures of Tintin scoring the Prologue almost as a little film in and on itself so I think the track is a unique and quite independent take on Tintin's theme but it is not what you would call a traditional concert arrangement.

It's pretty much exactly like Catch Me If You Can in that respect.

Karol

Yes although the jazzy motif used in the opening titles in CMIYC was used as the Closing In theme for Hanratty's hunt for Frank Abagnale. But on the other hand Tintin's theme from the Adventures of Tintin also appears expanded in the score as well.

Okay, I've created an arrangement, but it's not very good. I was too much in a hurry, and I'm not a composer... Hope you kinda like it anyway:

Quite a neat little develpment of the main idea.

I think what it needs is a some kind of second phrase to complete a longer melody.

Well, to make a concert arrangement of the first track in the OST CD it's extremly difficult in my opinion. It's colorful and reduced orchestral template and change that is to change the sound of the track and, if you develop the TinTin theme you will obtain a new piece because you will have changed the structure of the piece.

I think that the best for make a concert arrangement is to "compose" a suite like Mouse Hunt End Credits: A-B-A (Main theme - various secondary themes - Main theme again with a coda). It means that the TinTin arrangement probably will be sometinh like this: TinTin theme (developed) - Hadock/Unicorn/Thompsons/etc themes linked developing the thematic material if is needed - reprise of TinTin's theme. I would not include Snowy's theme because the 2nd track of the CD is absolutly brilliant and it's a complete theme with his developements.

Another solution is to wait for the clasical John Williams Signature Edition Scores (it would be amazing!) with all the complete themes :)

Cheers to everyone!

Well, to make a concert arrangement of the first track in the OST CD it's extremly difficult in my opinion. It's colorful and reduced orchestral template and change that is to change the sound of the track and, if you develop the TinTin theme you will obtain a new piece because you will have changed the structure of the piece.

I think that the best for make a concert arrangement is to "compose" a suite like Mouse Hunt End Credits: A-B-A (Main theme - various secondary themes - Main theme again with a coda). It means that the TinTin arrangement probably will be sometinh like this: TinTin theme (developed) - Hadock/Unicorn/Thompsons/etc themes linked developing the thematic material if is needed - reprise of TinTin's theme. I would not include Snowy's theme because the 2nd track of the CD is absolutly brilliant and it's a complete theme with his developements.

Another solution is to wait for the clasical John Williams Signature Edition Scores (it would be amazing!) with all the complete themes :)

Cheers to everyone!

I never meant a concert arrangement of the first track, I meant a concert arrangement based upon Tintin's Theme. Your ideas for its structure are very good, and I can only hope Williams will one day write one. After all, he decided to write a concert version of Marion's Theme about 28 years after Raiders, so anything is possible I guess....

I hope it too, man. Williams is a really great music worker, he always makes big complete thematic pieces (Raider's theme, Darth Vaider's theme, Yoda's theme, and a lot of more examples) for use that thematic material in the movie (or in the CD). So, I hope this time the Maestro uses this process in TinTin and then he will make a edition of this themes, I whish :)

We can always hope Williams will be debuting the Tintin material in some of his concerts and will develop the theme into a full fledged concert piece. He actually, if I remember correctly, created the concert version of Marion's theme by request from Spielberg in 2008 as part of the concerts that featured the music of Indiana Jones as the fourth film was coming out. He elaborated Irina's theme for these concerts as well. So there is hope for Tintin's theme as well. :)

Hmmm, it would have been great, sure.

But this score contains no less than 10 themes! JW couldn't write a concert arrangement for every theme... And quite honestly, Tintin's theme is very effective and I love it, but it's not that suited for a 3 or 4 minute concert arrangement.

Still, we can always hope. In the second movie, maybe? :)

But this score contains no less than 10 themes! JW couldn't write a concert arrangement for every theme... And quite honestly, Tintin's theme is very effective and I love it, but it's not that suited for a 3 or 4 minute concert arrangement.

I would not be that sure about it. It is John Williams we are talking about here. I hear he can write a pretty mean concert arrangement when he sets his mind to it. ;)

And I think of the themes in this score almost like an actor ensemble that together provides a brilliant whole although they are excellent each an every one as individuals.

True enough I suppose. If this film has themes think of the possible new ones that film could hold. :)

come on even the philosopher's stone motif has a 3 minute concert arrangement.

williams could have come with a colorful orchestration for the tintin theme.

maybe he has but he didnt want to record it...lets see if he does the same as with marion's and irina's and surprise us in a concert.

Or maybe he is seeing the trilogy as the development of tintin...so maybe the 2nd film has a full fledged theme! :D

want to record it...lets see if he does the same as with marion's and irina's and surprise us in a concert.

Or maybe he is seeing the trilogy as the development of tintin...so maybe the 2nd film has a full fledged theme! :D

That's kind of what I am hoping for, yes.

Apropos, second movie, the script for the sequel is already finished it seems. With any luck, JW will be writing the sequel score in a year or two (with the movie coming out in 3 years or so). :)

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/10/26/peter-jackson-tintin-hobbit/

its nice, but i cant judge midis, it remembers too much of old videogames.

i cant make the orchestral-connection in my mind.

but the structure could work :)

Thanks. Yeah, midi's suck, and I don't have the means to make it more 'orchestral sounding', so I understand why it would be very hard to through the '80's Commodore 64 sounding instrumentation.... Sorry for that.

Great job on that little arrangement! :)

Another thing that could be done is an edit of the best statements of Tintin's Theme and make a sort of mock-suite from there. Like someone did with The Russians Theme from KOTCS.

And that could be used as a base for the composers to extend the arrangement.

It's pretty much exactly like Catch Me If You Can in that respect.

Karol

Yes indeed! And now we know what the bells mean too, huh?

:lol:

I actually laughed to myself when I saw that!

Okay, I've created an arrangement, but it's not very good. I was too much in a hurry, and I'm not a composer... Hope you kinda like it anyway:

i like it! If only JW himself would do one.

I still can't believe it's not one of the themes developed for the End Credits

I have a new conspiracy theory. Maybe JW didn't want to create something so good the studio would force future composers to use (like Hedwig'sTheme)

Thanks guys for the positieve reactions..!

Maybe I'll give it another shot in a few days. I was actually aiming for a more heroic arrangement, but instead I opted for a somewhat jazzy approach. I still want that 'Raiders March'-feel for a Tintin's Theme arrangement, so I hope to start working on it soon.

But of course, I'm so much more interested in what a better composer comes up with (really hope some of you guys have begun composing as well..!)

I have a new conspiracy theory. Maybe JW didn't want to create something so good the studio would force future composers to use (like Hedwig'sTheme)

Interesting theory! I listened that Hans Zimmer probably gets the job for the 2nd movie... so, may be Williams is thinking something like "try do something better (with malevolous voice)" XD

What strikes me about Tintin's theme is that Williams is the only composer alive capable of composing such a great theme. It's amazing he can come up with these things at 80 years old. With a proper concert arrangement it would be instantly iconic like Raider's March

What strikes me about Tintin's theme is that Williams is the only composer alive capable of composing such a great theme.

Yes indeed. :)

It's amazing he can come up with these things at 80 years old.

He's 80, we get it. It gets to be pretty annoying that, every time somebody praises this score, it's followed by a statement of his age.

:rolleyes:

What strikes me about Tintin's theme is that Williams is the only composer alive capable of composing such a great theme.

Yes indeed. :)

It's amazing he can come up with these things at 80 years old.

He's 80, we get it. It gets to be pretty annoying that, every time somebody praises this score, it's followed by a statement of his age.

:rolleyes:

I wouldn't call it annoying. I think it's a nice sentiment, and considering that most composers cross their creative peak much earlier on in their life, I think it's indeed amazing JW is still writing music of this caliber.

And we all know and appreciate that.

But it is annyoing to read "at his age" and "although he's in his 80s" and "despite his age" etc. etc. every damn time, dozens and dozens of times!

But never mind.

Bruce Broughton and Frederic Talgorn are just two random examples of composers who could (and have) come up with a slight Prokoviev-lite tune that is Tintin's theme.

To enrage the fanboy divison even more, while i like the new themes well enough, none of them is particularly distinctive. Certainly not RAIDERS-leverl...i'm looking at you, KING MARK! :wave:

Thanks guys for the positieve reactions..!

Maybe I'll give it another shot in a few days. I was actually aiming for a more heroic arrangement, but instead I opted for a somewhat jazzy approach. I still want that 'Raiders March'-feel for a Tintin's Theme arrangement, so I hope to start working on it soon.

But of course, I'm so much more interested in what a better composer comes up with (really hope some of you guys have begun composing as well..!)

Your arrangement was great. And I really like the idea, I think I might give it a shot too. Just as soon as I get the time :D

- KK