Which John Williams albums did you buy twice (for whatever reason)?

Josh500

I got Jurassic Park on cassette tape for Christmas - my first film score ever. For a brief period, I thought I had lost it, so I bought the CD. Then I found the tape, and realized I needed the CD anyway.

I didn't read all the posts that thoroughly, but am I the only one who had a score on cassette?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shortly after receiving the Star Wars Anthology '97 from "Santa," I copied them to cassette because I did not own a portable CD player at the time, did not drive at the time (and no car had a CD player in our house at the time anyways), and so that I could distribute the extra tracks from disc 4 to where they go in score order. I actually still have those cassettes, or maybe all but one. However many tapes it took, I tacked the DCC Raiders onto the end.

But no, I never bought a John Williams score on cassette.

I have bought the Indy and the KOTCS album twice, but I traded the first one in to a used CD shop. There is no reason to have two of the same item on the shelf if one cannot be unopened in mint condition.

However, I will not trade in my DCC Raiders even though I own the disc in the Concord box, because the DCC version is superior. Likewise, I am holding onto my OST of TLC because it holds greater nostalgic value; it is not the exact same album as the Concord anyways.

I think the only CD that I ever had to buy twice was The Blues Brothers 2000 soundtrack. I had bought it in high school, didn't care for it, and traded it towards a Uriah Heep compilation. Recently, I re-bought TBB2K because I realized that no matter how inferior the movie was, the music was still pretty cool.

You can't have too many coasters, my friend! :P

I don't even used rejected CD-R's as coasters because the hole in the middle still allows moisture through and onto whatever wooden surface you're trying to protect.

I got Jurassic Park on cassette tape for Christmas - my first film score ever. For a brief period, I thought I had lost it, so I bought the CD. Then I found the tape, and realized I needed the CD anyway.

I didn't read all the posts that thoroughly, but am I the only one who had a score on cassette?

Ah, true, I forgot about that. I had JURASSIC PARK on cassette too before I later bought it on CD, but the cassette was a free copy of another person's CD (so sue me!), so I guess that doesn't really qualify as re-purchase.

I've never had to buy the same OST twice, the only time I had a duplicate is if they repackaged the score like with the Indiana Jones box, or if it was altered or expanded later on. Thankfully all of my original purchases have held up, never needed to replace something. Of course I have now jinxed myself.

KOTCS

AOTC to get the bonus track. I want to re-purchase this one again for the poster cover.

E.T. 20th Anniversary from the DVD set.

Harry Potter to get the Philosopher's Stone version (yep, I went there).

Superman OST for the complete Japanese release.

For one reason or another, I have two copies of the original E.T. OST and Land of the Giants.

Did I miss anything?

The only OST that I have two exact copies of is KotCS - one that I bought on the soundtrack release, one that I bought with the Concord box set. But I own two representations of the following scores:

Superman: The Movie (Rhino and Blue Box)

1941 (OST and LLL Expansion)

Home Alone (OST and LLL Expansion)

Home Alone 2 (OST and LLL Expansion)

E.T. (OST and 2002 Expansion)

Phantom Menace (OST and UE)

Attack of the Clones (OST and Target Bonus version)

Raiders (DCC Expansion and Concord Expansion)

Temple of Doom (Japanese OST and Concord Expansion)

Last Crusade (OST and Concord Expansion)

I also have the OST and expansion of The Fury, but those came in the same release.

Memoirs Of A Geisha.

I ordered one online, but saw one in the store the next day and couldn't resist.

The other one is still wrapped in plastic.

Schindler's List as well.

One OST, and one CD that came with the movie's special edition,

Ok. Well if it doesn;t get rare at least I have some spare copies.

You can't have too many coasters, my friend! :P

The thought of using a JW disc as a coaster... :folder:

Good point. I plan to keep my Rhino Superman, but when I find which box I stashed the 1941 OST into, it's getting traded.

Oh yeah, I bought a new copy of Jurassic Park because of that.

I have also attempted to replace The Lost World God awful cardboard packaging with the jewel case Collector's version from the JP/TLW DVD set. A couple years ago I almost bought that set just for TLW CD when it was cheap on Amazon.

The only OST that I have two exact copies of is KotCS - one that I bought on the soundtrack release, one that I bought with the Concord box set. But I own two representations of the following scores:

Home Alone (OST and LLL Expansion)

Home Alone 2 (OST and LLL Expansion)

E.T. (OST and 2002 Expansion)

Phantom Menace (OST and UE)

Attack of the Clones (OST and Target Bonus version)

Raiders (DCC Expansion and Concord Expansion)

Temple of Doom (Japanese OST and Concord Expansion)

Last Crusade (OST and Concord Expansion)

I also have the OST and expansion of The Fury, but those came in the same release.

Good point. I plan to keep my Rhino Superman, but when I find which box I stashed the 1941 OST into, it's getting traded.

What I meant was actually "Did you ever buy two identical albums by JW...?"

Well "updated" OST's don't count

Exactly.

nanana Wojo

I never trade or throw out my original OST's and previous releases even if a better one comes out, you never know if you may need a single track of it for whatever reason

The only c.d. that can be discarted is The Fury OST and maybe 1 or 2 others

I have Family Plot twice. I ordered it again after my package didn't arrived. Well, after 4 months it finally arrived...

4 months! :o Your postal service must be really messed from time to time.

Well it took one record store here 6 months to order me 1941 and Rosewood (OSTs). I was both times pretty amazed when they called and said they had a CD I had ordered. I had completely forgotten that I had ordered them by then. :lol:

Good question and one I didn't hear before. I bought Attack Of The Clones twice because it was cheap and it had a different cover (Oh, the ol' completist days!). Of course, I bought Star Wars on CD (every available release) after owning the 2-LP vinyl but that doesn't count, right? Then there's Nixon. The European version didn't play too well on my CD players (due to some kind of computer software on the CD) so I got the American version too which plays flawlessly. I bought several vinyl editions of CDs I already owned like Superman The Movie, Jaws 2, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, The Temple Of Doom, Spacecamp (!), Return Of The Jedi, Empire Of The Sun, The Towering Inferno ... all in like new condition.

Alex

Good question and one I didn't hear before. I bought Attack Of The Clones twice because it was cheap and it had a different cover (Oh, the ol' completist days!). Of course, I bought Star Wars on CD (every available release) after owning the 2-LP vinyl but that doesn't count, right? Then there's Nixon. The European version didn't play too well on my CD players (due to some kind of computer software on the CD) so I got the American version too which plays flawlessly. I bought several vinyl editions of CDs I already owned like Superman The Movie, Jaws 2, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, The Temple Of Doom, Spacecamp (!), Return Of The Jedi, Empire Of The Sun, The Towering Inferno ... all in like new condition.

Alex

I did the same... when I got a new (good) record player, I went and bought some John I already have on CD, along with some of the Gerhardt releases I have.

At one point, probably 10 or so years ago, I sold off a large chunk of my music collection, including soundtracks. So when I realized the folly of that move about four years ago, I reacquired everything - so yes, Jurassic Park, The Last Crusade, Star Wars Anthology, E.T., on and on.

I have Family Plot twice. I ordered it again after my package didn't arrived. Well, after 4 months it finally arrived...

4 months! :o Your postal service must be really messed from time to time.

Usually I get oversea packages within1-2 weeks. But I ordered it about christmas last year so it could be that this was the reason.

The one I have bought most is "Star Wars".Here goes:

The original 2xLP vinyl,

The first CD pressing (Ploydor),

The Anthology box,

The 1997 re-issue (laser-etched, and in slip-case),

The 2004 box (Eps. IV-VI only),

The 2007 (?) Corellian Edition.

That's an awful lot of money to spend on one soundtrack.

I think I've got two Minority Reports (can't remember why) three The Phantom Menaces (one has been broken, another one I won), two Attack of the Clones (one with 14 tracks), two Revenge of the Siths (my first one got scratched badly) and two The Terminals (got one as a present, but at the same time my order shipped and I thin I've never unwrapped that one). And of course two Crystal Skulls, as most people. And some other scores that I bought in different formats later on (like Jurassic Park, for example).

Karol

I bought Attack Of The Clones twice because it was cheap and it had a different cover

Alex

Really? That so doesn't sound like you. In fact I thought you stopped buying John Williams c.d.'s around 1987.

I re-bought Schindler's List to get the "gold" disk

Wasn't there a similar one for JP as well?