The Adventures of Tintin - For Your Consideration Promotional CD

Jay

Yeah I understand but those short snippets will only ever be 'better than nothing' fan edited together cues, if you will. My tastes just dictate that I prefer a cohesive ost listening experience until I can get a legit expanded release at a later date.

But I'll keep a watchful eye out for mention of a 'finished' cue from someone here if word is it's good :)

Escape from Karaboudjan also has a really noticeable edit of Snowy's theme from some part of the score (Snowy in Pursuit possibly) at 0:24.

that, and at 0:29 too (and maybe many more)

It seems that to fit the film they made microcuts to shortern the cue.

Yeah I understand but those short snippets will only ever be 'better than nothing' fan edited together cues, if you will. My tastes just dictate that I prefer a cohesive ost listening experience until I can get a legit expanded release at a later date.

But I'll keep a watchful eye out for mention of a 'finished' cue from someone here if word is it's good :)

I'm pretty much on the same page as you in this aspect, and I still consider the FYC to be important enough. The plane cue is crucial, and the clean ending on "Secret of the Scrolls" is really nice to have. Not sure how much of the rest of the material I'll listen to regularly (probably not much).

Are FYC promos basically isolated score highlights? Maybe that's why JW wasn't nominated for the SW prequels. Either he refused to submit a hacked up score, or the Academy refused to vote for a hacked up score (and who could blame them!)

Are FYC promos basically isolated score highlights? Maybe that's why JW wasn't nominated for the SW prequels. Either he refused to submit a hacked up score, or the Academy refused to vote for a hacked up score (and who could blame them!)

This particular Academy rule came about later than 2005 I think. They are always changing them for one reason or another.

I think the significant pieces on the FYC are The Thompsons and Snowy in Pursuit, Captain Haddock Takes the Oars, The Flight to Bagghar (needs tinkering at the beginning because it omits material), Capturing the Plane and Crane Fight (flows surprisingly well if you edit the looping of Snowy's Theme out from the middle). There are also those short snippets of unreleased material in Milanese Nightingale and Captain Haddock Takes the Oars containing the Unicorn Theme but if you keep those two tracks they are just edited to the beginning of each so editing is not absolutely required. Also the Adventures of Tintin track on FYC CD is the film version with more prominent drum kit, not much more, but still audibly differently mixed, especially the section which underscores the train sequence in the main titles.

Yes, editing this would be pretty hard. I have to say I'm quite content with the OST release, but it's nice to have Capturing the Plane and the unreleased (albeit tracked) stuff in The Crane Fight, as well as the unreleased bits in Flight to Bagghar and Captain Haddock Takes the Oars. I think I'll do a very minimum editing on those tracks and keep the OST for all the rest.

Introducing the Thompsons--Listening and comparing again the two versions (OST vs. film) I'm more and more convinced that the OST is likely a rewrite purposefully done for the album. It seems JW wanted to present the Thompsons' theme in a more straightforward manner, leaving off the mickeymouse-y stuff.

Another possibility is that some of the earlier recording sessions material also made it to the album. These scenes might have been cut out entirely from the film or Williams reworked the material to the later cut of the movie when the action necessitated changes.

The theory that Maestro recorded material specifically for the album is quite a valid one. He does it quite often.

um so its impossible (too difficult) to mix the FYC with the OST?

Damn :(

Not impossible or but it has some difficulty if you want to join some of the material from the OST to the FYC tracks. But it is not the case with all the tracks as we have discussed above. Some of them can work on their own without any great need for editing.

E.g. Capturing the Plane and The Crane Fight are to me entirely listenable as they are on the FYC CD. These two are the major additional pieces of music from the score on the FYC CD in my opinion along with The Thompsons and Snowy in Pursuit and Flight to Bagghar.

Certainly not impossible. But quite hard. maybe after the DVD has been released it will be easier.

Well it might be a bit easier but the fact that the FYC CD contains music as edited for the film presents the challenge of trying to edit some stuff into the tracks when you know the OST might have more music than what is in the film edit. E.g. I did not even try to edit the Captain Haddock Takes the Oars from the OST with the corresponding track on the FYC CD since

A) I was too lazy to pinpoint where I should insert the extra material

B) I am not so good an editor that the edit would sound good and seamsless to my ears.

and finally I just decided to leave these OST tracks (Captain Haddock Takes the Oars and Capturing Mr. Silk end half) as alternates at the end of the presentation.

Here is my quick and relatively dirty edit:

1. The Adventures Of Tintin (OST)

2. The Secret of the Scrolls (OST)

3. Marlinspike Hall (OST)

4. The Thompsons and Snowy in Pursuit (FYC CD): Here I replaced the Snowy in Pursuit section with the music from the OST since Jason thought in his comments above that it might be shorter or edited compared to the OST version.

5. Introducing Haddock (OST Captain Haddock Takes the Oars 0:00-0:34)

6. Escape From The Karaboudjan (OST)

7. The Third Unicorn (Captain Haddock Takes the Oars FYC CD 0:00-0:22): I separated this snippet from the following track to which it belongs on the FYC CD.

8. Captain Haddock Takes the Oars - Capturing Mr. Silk (Film Version) (FYC CD)

9. Capturing The Plane (FYC CD)

10. The Flight To Bagghar (Film Version): Here I edited the opening of the OST track (around 0:00-1:10) into the opening of the FYC track so it includes the missing accordion music.

11. Sir Francis and the Unicorn (OST)

12. A Sober Haddock (0:00-1:03 OST track 10)

13. Red Rackham's Curse and the Treasure (OST)

14. Milanese Nightingale (FYC): Has the few second rendition of the Unicorn Theme at the beginning which is not on the OST, and actually a part of another cue entirely and oddly joined with the Milanese Nightingale. Still I did not separate it but kept it in place as in the film it is here.

15. Presenting Bianca Castafiore (OST)

16. The Pursuit Of The Falcon (OST)

17. The Captain's Counsel (OST)

18. The Crane Fight (FYC CD): There is a noticeable loop of Snowy's Theme at 1:53 but I let it slide since I did not want to bother with editing the piece nor did I want to contemplate editing some definitive version out of this piece.

19. The Return To Marlinspike Hall And Finale (OST)

20. Snowy's Theme (OST)

21. The Adventure Continues (OST)

I tacked the alternate material after the chronological presentation of the score

22. Introducing the Thompsons and Snowy's Chase (OST): OST version with different opening with Thompsons' Theme.

23. Captain Haddock Takes The Oars (OST 0:35-end): As Jason mentioned this is for the longer version of the scene.

24. Capturing Mr. Silk (OST track 10. 1:04-end): This is the longer and alternate version of the music from Capturing Mr. Silk scene.

25. The Flight To Bagghar (OST)

26. The Milanese Nightingale (OST): Not absolutely necessary. I just put it here for the clean opening. Also the FYC CD has that few second opening missing from the OST (actually the end of another cue as Jason said in his comments).

27. The Clash Of The Cranes (OST)

28. The Adventures of Tintin (Film Version) (FYC CD): Very small difference in the drum kit sound which is a bit more prominent on the FYC CD than on the OST, I think.

Mr. John Takis has convinced me that the End Credits in the film (and on the FYC) actually reflect Williams' original intentions! Reasons:

1. The final note of "Finale" (really 5m31 "To Be Continued") is the same one that starts the end credits piece

2. The opening note of "The Adventure Continues" is in a different key than the final note of "Finale", meaning it was probably never intended to be played directly after it (Even though they do overlap on the album)

3. The final note of the Sir Francis segment transitions very smoothly into Snowy's Theme

4. A unique clean opening and ending were recorded for the segment of "Sir Francis and the Unicorn" used.

Thoughts and comments?

ok, well I'll buy that

Ditto. Not unexpected. Mr. Takis' deductions look pretty sound to me. Williams has done this before.

Another recent example of end credits editing is War Horse where Homecoming is edited into pieces and other music is inserted between those sections but I doubt that it was Williams' original intention. I mean there would have been easier ways to extend the original 8 minute piece.

Mr. John Takis has convinced me that the End Credits in the film (and on the FYC) actually reflect Williams' original intentions! Reasons:

1. The final note of "Finale" (really 5m31 "To Be Continued") is the same one that starts the end credits piece

2. The opening note of "The Adventure Continues" is in a different key than the final note of "Finale", meaning it was probably never intended to be played directly after it (Even though they do overlap on the album)

3. The final note of the Sir Francis segment transitions very smoothly into Snowy's Them

4. A unique clean opening and ending were recorded for the segment of "Sir Francis and the Unicorn" used.

Thoughts and comments?

Mm, it could very well be, but I'm not entirely sold about it. The fact the last note of "Finale" and the first note of "Sir Francis and the Unicorn" are the same doesn't automatically lead to the fact the two pieces were meant to be segued, imho. I think the transition between the Finale and The Adventure Continues as heard on the OST album works better. Did anyone check if the Sir Francis portions as heard in the End Credits is the exact same recording?

However, it's always difficult to break down how Williams manages end credits cues in the latest years. My guess is that since the credits reel is still very much in the works when he writes the bulk of the score, he prepares one or two pieces in concert-like arrangements that could be used for the purpose and then lets the music editors decide how to use it.

The segment of "Sir Francis" used in the end credits is the exact same recording as used before, but as I said he did specifically recording a clean intro to go into the segment used, as well as a clean ending to transition from the segement to Snowy's Theme.

I agree that the transition from "Finale" to "The Adventure Continues" does work brilliantly on the OST, but it can't be argued that it's not in the same key.

Sure, they're different keys, but imho the pieces weren't meant to be segued as if they were part of a single unit. The Finale cue closes out and then, after a brief pause, the Adventure Continues starts on its own.

Except on the actual album, they slightly overlap :(

Luckily we got a real celan ending for FInale on the FYC

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agreed

Yup. Shame that the ending is so obviously tacked with music from Escape from Karaboudjan. I would have liked to hear how Williams originally finished the piece.

It definitely sounds tracked to my ears and such an abrupt shift that even in this score full of quick shifts of tone sounds clunky.

Yeah, it definitely doesn't sound natural. I was wondering if maybe the original cue was longer, and there ewas a more organic segue into a new variation of Sakharine's theme that was edited out, but I think you're probably right.

What is tracked in what track exactly?

Capturing the Plane has tracked material at the end from Escape from Karaboudjan which is basically the Sakharine Theme spliced there before the actual cue can wind down.

Just listened to "Capturing the Plane" again, and I completely disagree that it's "overhyped." The build up and climactic variation of Tintin's theme is straight from the John Williams of the 80s. You'll never catch me saying that JW used to be better or that I'd like him to regress to his older styles, but every once in a while it's refreshing to hear something that so clearly harkens back to an older era.

I think that Sir Francis And The Unicorn consists of two cues. The second is overlaped at 2:14 which is the same as in the End Credits. But the End Credits version has edits that makes it shorter.

wow, it went for 240 dollars

Geez!

holy shit!

Holy...

See it jumped from114$ to 240$ in the final minute of the auction

More money than sense.

I stopped bidding once it hit 75. Never expected it to hit 240 bucks!

Ahem, I believe you gentleman are forgetting a certain Avatar promo that sold for a mere $3,000.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...