The Dark Knight Rises SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

Oh thank you hansu for the wailing woman when Bat took the bomb, I didn't see it coming... :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

There's a huge difference between wailing women and a boy soprano!!! And that part is not unique to this score, it already showed up in Batman Begins.

Do you thing I am capable of hearing any differences between any instruments or voices after that 3 hours of drum-bombardment.

Oh thank you hansu for the wailing woman when Bat took the bomb, I didn't see it coming... :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

There's a huge difference between wailing women and a boy soprano!!! And that part is not unique to this score, it already showed up in Batman Begins.

Do you thing I am capable of hearing any differences between any instruments or voices after that 3 hours of drum-bombardment.

Haha, thats true! Don't worry, I went deaf after Zimmer's redundant but ridiculously loud pounding too!

Yet it rang oh so hollow in this latest score at least. A worn and weary cliché as much as the ever pounding drums.

They have no impact because it sounds like such a rehash in its nature (considering we heard a short snippet of it in the flashback of the death of Wayne's parents.

Well,

I saw it today. I'm sort of MEH about the whole thing. It was enjoyable as a movie. One that I would not see again. Or even purchase, except for the women. I have a ringing in my ears from the sheer volume of the mixing. The droning rhythm that I expect from Zimmer did nothing but make my blood pressure rise. And it wasn't even from the suspense. A few times I felt like getting up and taking a breather. The few points that I did enjoy were the pearl scene, when Batman was on the bridge after the stock exchange sequence, the stadium and overall the ending. If it weren't for the ending summary I would have left feeling let down. The parts of the score that I enjoyed as stand alone on the preview were my favorite parts in the movie; though I'm not sure if it was because of my previous listening. I don't think so though. I think I quite possibly have had enough Zimmer for awhile. And that's saying a lot for me.

Oddly enough I felt that it was a good enough movie but I was not left with a sense of enormous exhilaration or epiphany or even emotional catharsis. Not all movies do that. I did like the ending though, which was suitably super heroic and left the character of Batman with a smile, finally. It was good entertainment and I was thoroughly entertained through the whole movie even if it is nearly 3 hours long but it was not, like its predecessors weren't, anything earth shattering for me, just very good entertainment. And it has to be said, Nolan's characters were relatable and sympathetic and somehow he succeeds in injecting the fear of losing the main characters into you in this film series so that you actually care and fear for them during the film. This happens very rarely these days.

Hey I was never a rabid fan of these movies but I did see them in theater. But these are also films that I have never rewatched at home or have felt a great urge to do so.

Especially because of the sound mix. Just awful. Worst case in my experience.

I'm really glad to see all these comments on the mix, I was starting to think it was just me or my theater (even though I had the same problems with Inception). I guess I can always trust JWFan when it comes to sound complaints :lol:

Enjoyed the movie, though.

They should have got Ben Burtt ;)

Now that might have been better since he would have known how to usurp the space from the music. He is an expert at that.

Watched it again today. I must say it didn't change my mind one way or another. The story mostly makes sense and serves as a very good conclusion.

I like Zimmer's music (or some it his ideas). But it's mix in the film is indeed a huge detractor, because it makes you tired and assaulted. Pity, because I feel that is exactly what might turn people off from enjoying what is otherwise a quite an intelligent and worthy summer blockbuster.

I was wondering why Bruce Wayne needs a cane in this film. Obvious, reallly. But it took me some time to figure it out.

Karol - who is really entertained by Tom Hardy's Bane now

I just need to add some of my feelings of this movie. I saw it on Monday, been since quite stagnant because of the hammering

soundtrack. Other thing that disturbed me was that senseless violence. I'm very sorry that I took two 12-year-old kids with me, I have

Begins on Blu but I don't remember it was like this. Well I'm anyway going to throw it in the junk.

Those endless neck-breakings, fist-to-the-face fightings with the massive sound effects are just disgusting.

I know we want more action, more fights, louder music etc. from the sequels but this "more violence" goes too far.

I know I'm alone with this one here but hey, I don't need any support, I'm Hornist.

Ps. funny thing was that, that Bane-thingy, who broke everyones necks(I know he was evil) except Bat's of course,

became suddenly puppy-like crybaby when Bat came back. MegaMeh.

There is a lot of violence, but none of it occurs on screen. You don't get to see breaking necks, blood, people being stabbed or things like that. It's your mind that fills in the gaps.

Another thing: I don't really like bloody and violent films in general. Horror is one of my most detested genres and I don't really enjoy it even as a pastiche in Quentin Tarantino's films. But if a film makes some kind of a point or is about that specifically about violence, it is almost necessary, in a sense. It's the same with Titus or Pan's Labyrinth. There are far more harmful and senseless examples than TDKR, where it all happens for absolutely no other reason than to entertain audiences.I'm not sure if electrocuting a person like Joker does in 1989 film or frying someone's brain (Riddler's in this case) in the 1995 film is any more tasteful than what happens here. The avarage Tom & Jerry cartoon is more senseless than this, for god's sake. And yet, because the tone is light, you just dismiss it. I feel that you being put off by it this in the case of those films is partially because that was the intent behind it. The film at least tries to go somewhere with its concept and be about something. Whether it compltely suceeds is another matter entirely. But I applaud the intent. So rare, really.

Ironically, Batman Begins was the only Nolan film where the main character commits something of a morally questionable decision (when he lets Liam Neeson die at the end). In the next two chapters he is much more noble.

Karol

I was wondering why Bruce Wayne needs a cane in this film. Obvious, reallly. But it took me some time to figure it out.

Care to explain the reason? I assumed it was because of the literal fall he took at the end of TDK.

Or is it some stupid smartass writing to show that Bruce must learn to live without the cane (Caine, Alfred). :D

Well We did see some breaking necks, one was in the stadium, 15 000 people watching. And I'm sickening tired of that face hammering

too. I loved to watch Lost but all those fighting sequences were ridiculous, famous spinal surgery against other doctor, 15 min fight with the fists. Sure.

And every one can handle the guns. of course. Otherwise brilliant series with brilliant script and ensemble.

But of course biggest mistake was made myself that I took those 12-years kids with me. 16 years would be more appropriate, if you think this kind of

absurdity will do any good for any mind. I will quit these.

I meant that you don't get to see it, because they cut away from it. Look closely. They don't actually show it in the stadium scene. And there is no blood in the film (almost none). Most films don't do that. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is graphic compared to this.

But I agree on the rating. Stupid corporations and their marketing strategies.

Karol

I know we want more action, more fights, louder music etc. from the sequels but this "more violence" goes too far.

You'd get along with my mom. She loathes TDK, specifically its violent and dark nature. She thought it should've received an R-rating instead of the PG-13 it got here in the United States.

Honestly, I felt TDKR is more tamer than TDK. Even with Bane snapping necks and bashing heads in.

Just some quick thoughts about the movie and the violence:

I thought it was an excellent conclusion to the trilogy. It closes things nicely but also leaves open hope for a Batman Beyond continuation w/ Bruce as a mentor.

It was a very unsettling film. Whereas TDK was unsettling in a psychological way, this was unsettling in a violent and hopeless kind of way.

I understand where hornist is coming from. My son is 9, but I'm not about to show him any of these batman films for a long time. There where children in the theater when I saw. Heck there were 6 year olds in the theater when I saw Prometheus. I want my children to stay as innocent for as long as I can help it. There is no need for a child to see or even try to understand much of this.

Anyway, as for the first Bane and Batman fight, the most unsettling part for me was when Bane was punching his head when it was on the ground and it busted the mask. That was brutal. The breaking (or dislocating) of the back was more iconic than brutal as it looked like a WWF move.

I absolutely hated the fact at the end when they tried to humanize Bane. There was no need for that.

I also hated the fact that I knew Tate was Ras' daughter beforehand. I tried so hard to not be spoiled going in. Curse whoever wrote that in the other thread.

Absolutely loved Cat Woman and how she stole the scenes. Also like how her glasses mimic'd the cat ears. Nice touch.

I liked the TDK better overall, but TDKR is a very fine conclusion. Just turn down the damn music!

I absolutely hated the fact at the end when they tried to humanize Bane. There was no need for that.

I thought it strengthened the character, personally. After having a main antagonist in TDK that was hardly even a person at all with Joker without any room for sympathy, it was nice to have a villain with some semblance of a heart underneath the monstrous exterior. I thought Hardy really sold it with the tears. It also kind of puts Bane's motives in a whole new light in so much as he was trying to honor Talia through fulfilling what her father set out to do.

I thought it strengthened the character, personally. After having a main antagonist in TDK that was hardly even a person at all with Joker without any room for sympathy, it was nice to have a villain with some semblance of a heart underneath the monstrous exterior. I thought Hardy really sold it with the tears. It also kind of puts Bane's motives in a whole new light in so much as he was trying to honor Talia through fulfilling what her father set out to do.

I think Bane should have been kept the way he was being portrayed and just a pure brutal tool of Ras. But maybe when I see it again I'll have a different appreciation.

Curse whoever wrote that in the other thread.

That was me, and I totally apologize for that. Ever since I'd been tracking the casting, I'd seen Marion Cotillard's casting responded to with "she's playing Talia, isn't she?", so I thought it was a minor spoiler at best when it turned out to be true. Watching the film, I realized how wrong I was.

So again, sorry. Lift the curse please? ;)

Curse whoever wrote that in the other thread.

That was me, and I totally apologize for that. Ever since I'd been tracking the casting, I'd seen Marion Cotillard's casting responded to with "she's playing Talia, isn't she?", so I thought it was a minor spoiler at best when it turned out to be true. Watching the film, I realized how wrong I was.

So again, sorry. Lift the curse please? ;)

Well, I'll think about it...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I just saw this and give me my 6 € back. This was the last time I'll watch a superhero movie again and probably any movie in theater.

We all reach this age, eventually.

I have seen The Dark Knight Rises. I would write a long reflection on it. But the Internet comes and goes. I already failed to send to posts.

I was right about everything about the cast since they announced it.

Now, the film. Croc was, in a way, right about me and this film. If certain circumstances in the film were different I would love it, and it would be my favourite.

Sadly it seems to make no sense at all right now. Which is a no-no for me. I'd need to see it again to confirm this.

Cryptic post. What doesn't make sense?

Karol

his posts. ;)

Has Jason posted his thoughts yet? If so I've missed them.

The Dark Knight Rises (IMAX)

Its actually hard to discuss this film without referencing the real world. The last Batman film was from 2008. Not long after the global economy crashed and plunged the world into chaos. Bankers, stock brokers, politicians became paria's. The Occupy movement rose and the impoverished began to protest against those who had robbed them of their jobs and homes.

In The Dark Knight Rises Bruce Wayne looses everything, he becomes bankrupt. No longer the billionaire playboy. Because Nolan wants to put a distance between him and the rich.

Bane's army is the nightmare version of the Occupy Movement. The oppressed masses given unlimited fire-power and a murderous leader.

If there is one word to describe this film it's "oppressive".

In The Dark Knight The Joker terrorised Gotham with just a few bombes and some gasoline. The new villain Bane has Batman's arsenal, and a nuke.

Christian Bale returns as Bruce/Batman. In the beginning he looks gaunt and is limping (was it mentioned why he limped?). A billionaire recluse. Slowly he gets back into action. Bale is given more of an arc in this film, and he is once again impressive in the role.

Caine is very moving as Alfred. I actually hated Wayne when he dismissed his best friend.

Tom Hardy plays Bane. He once again beefed up, and is an amazing physical presence. The voice works too. But unlike Ledger's Joker he doesn't permeate the film. Most of his dialogue are dire threats. And he has a clear objective, something The Joker didn't have. For this film he is an effective foil for Batman though. You totally believe he kicks the bats ass.

Anne Hathaway is smoking hot as Selina Kyle (the name Catwoman is never used). Both flirty and dangerous. And unlike both Katie Cruise and Maggie Geelehaal or whatever her name is , she actually has some chemistry with Bale. She looks fantastic in her cat suit and the way she moves in her fight scenes is superb.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays the man who will become Batman's successor. The film spends a lot of time highlighting the similarities between him and Bruce Wayne. Gordon-Levitt is great in what could have been a very boring, redundant role. He has great charisma and really carries the film when Bale is not on screen. The moment when he finds the Batcave is outstanding. Nolan is also very wise to never.ever show him in a Robin costume ;)

Gary Oldman is once again in great form as Gordon.

For the longest time I wondered why the Marion Cottilard character was in the film, until she literally stabbed Batman in the back. It was a good twist in a film that generally telegraphs it's intentions and messages.

Gotham is really under siege in this one. Cut of from the rest of the world. No police. People tried by Scarecrow (great cameo). The city becoming a roque state under the rule of a war lord All of this is of course impossible! But Nolan's special effects, his direction is so persistent, his plot unfolding with no irony what so ever, that you buy it.

Same for the prison, A hell-hole like that does not and cannot exist anywhere in the world. The slightest hint that the characters would know that, would ruin the film though. In this part of the film Nolan is entering more into metaphysical territory The hero must first fall, then slowly pick himself up and rise to redemption. (classic Rocky)

This is an outstanding film, though it falls short when compared to The Dark Knight In many ways it retreads Batman Begins. The villains are highly organised, they have a proper goal. And Bruce Wayne must once again learn to become Batman.

Zimmers score is more of the same. But it's very effective. I didn't miss JHN at all, so I guess his musical voice never mattered for this trilogy. The finale cue might be taken pretty much from TDK, but it works.

***1/2 out of ****

After thinking about it I believe I'll like it better if I see it a second time.

The first time I was bored at the beginning of the film. I didn't like that they got rid of Alfred (it would have been awesome to have him there and do stuff in Gotham during the later situation.) I wondered what was the point of destroying Gotham or occupying it, and particularly, to do both things at once. (I may haven't understood well the film.) Bane's end was underwhelming. And why Cotillard would sleep that way with the man she wants to kill. I do like the ending though and John Blake's character.

Something I enjoyed in the previous film are Nolan's intense "bad guy scheme" sequences with several things happening at the same time. That is done brilliantly here and is one of the reasons I think people like these films. People love cool villains that get stuff done. I think the other reason they're popular is because people don't feel they're being looked down by the film's story, like in other "spectacles" that are released (I had the boring luck of seeing Prince of Persia in a bus recently).

And Bruce is limping cause he fell off the building at the end of the previous film. Don't you remember? When I tried to save Gordon's son?

The first time I was bored at the beginning of the film. I didn't like that they got rid of Alfred (it would have been awesome to have him there and do stuff in Gotham during the later situation.) I wondered what was the point of destroying Gotham or occupying it, and particularly, to do both things at once. (I may haven't understood well the film.) Bane's end was underwhelming.

He wants to break the city the same way he does with Batman. He wants to give them "hope" before crushing them so that it is even more painful.

And why Cotillard would sleep that way with the man she wants to kill. I do like the ending though and John Blake's character.

It wouldn't be much of a betrayal if Bruce didn't care for her.

Oh and I loved the beginning of the film.

Karol

In the beginning he looks gaunt and is limping (was it mentioned why he limped?)

He has no cartilege in his knee. Remember the doctor visit, followed by him getting that fancy knee brace?

Bane's end was underwhelming.

Yes! Nolan could have done this better. Although Bane disappointed me a bit, I think his death should have been some more decent.

Not to nitpick, but the Occupy movement started in 2011.

Yes I never said anything else. Occupy was a result of the 2008 crises.

Oh whoops, misread your post.

The more I see the ending, the more I really like it. I know some people were rooting for a more downbeat and somber ending (since that was the draw of TDK and TDKR), but the happy ending for Bruce and Selina feels well-earned. I don't think it's a cop-out on Nolan's part, and I liked the hinting at Joseph Gordon-Levitt's Blake character possibly becoming the new Batman or Nightwing.

I have to keep telling people that there's no stinger after the end credits. Just because Christopher Nolan left the door open for a possible sequel/spinoff, doesn't mean he's going to reinforce it with a brief scene of Levitt donning the Batsuit. It's not a Marvel Studios production, people.

I have a question. How does Wayne manage to go bak to Gotham without money when he gets out of the pit, whenever that is?

The first time I was bored at the beginning of the film. I didn't like that they got rid of Alfred (it would have been awesome to have him there and do stuff in Gotham during the later situation.) I wondered what was the point of destroying Gotham or occupying it, and particularly, to do both things at once. (I may haven't understood well the film.) Bane's end was underwhelming.

He wants to break the city the same way he does with Batman. He wants to give them "hope" before crushing them so that it is even more painful.

So the objective of detsroying the city is for torturing Batman? I don't think Ra's idea was to destroy the city to torture Batman. After three films, I still don't understand it.

And why Cotillard would sleep that way with the man she wants to kill. I do like the ending though and John Blake's character.

It wouldn't be much of a betrayal if Bruce didn't care for her.

I feel cheated with that part of the story.

Watch it again. It's fairly obvious when you watch it the second time.

Ra's just wanted to destroy the city. Bane and Talia try to avenge him, so they want to destroy everything Batman stands for, slowly and painfully, before killing him. What's do hard to understand.

Karol

Watch it again. It's fairly obvious when you watch it the second time.

Ra's just wanted to destroy the city. Bane and Talia try to avenge him, so they want to destroy everything Batman stands for, slowly and painfully, before killing him. What's do hard to understand.

Karol

But keep in mind, the same plan applied to the city. Hence the pit metaphor. He gave Gotham false hope that they could survive in anarchy before their 'inevitable' deaths.

Chaac, I was very skeptical when I first watched it too. You need to watch it twice really. I still think its flawed and Nolan's weakest film, but it's much better and more entertaining the second time around.

You'd get along with my mom. She loathes TDK, specifically its violent and dark nature. She thought it should've received an R-rating instead of the PG-13 it got here in the United States.

Honestly, I felt TDKR is more tamer than TDK. Even with Bane snapping necks and bashing heads in.

Sadly, I agree with your mom on the R rating... actually, if it had any blood it should have been R. It was pretty close to getting there though.