So Ridley Scott is directing a Prometheus sequel... (The official Alien: Covenant Thread)

crocodile

Manhunter is closer to the style of novels, I think. Not that I've read them, mind you.

I don't need to read them, I've watched Hannibal, the TV series. ;)

I was responding to Alex about Westworld.

Manhunter isnt that good.

Just now, Alexcremers said:

Manhunter is closer to the style of novels, I think. Not that I've read them, mind you.

I have and Manhunter isnt close to the book at all. Silence comes closest.

10 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

That's his middle name.

That's amazing! How did you know?!

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

They've been acting up since the BREXIT. Best to just leave them be.

It's pathetic that you people still think you have the right to police the internet, but...you will not live to see the day when all JWfan is ruled by us Brits!

Alien: Covenant, as its title suggests, is a film ostensibly about faith; its diagnosis, however, isn't particularly cheery. Faith, it says, is what fuels our tortured drive to discover purpose in a meaningless universe.

All things that rely on the faith we hold some great, divine purpose. This, too, is the place where evil comes from. All themes that Prometheus touched upon, but with Covenant they're elaborated on with the loftiness of epic poetry.

...in the context of a film that is strongly and coherently pieced together in its pacing, its tone, and its themes, those eccentricities only make the whole thing feel more mesmerising. It immediately begs to be re-watched, to be savoured. It's relentless and overwhelming, but all in the very best of ways.

5/5 from Independent UK

I'm so glad this film continues exploring the sci-fi themes established in Prometheus, but does so in tandem with the trademark horror/action of the Alien series (mostly absent from Prometheus).

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

I don't know any quotes from that film!

It's quite quotable:

"I wish I could make you vanish",

"A man like that could blow my cover",

" Liver not too good". "It's definitely him, then",

My favourite:

"I know all about the UN embargo. I studied at Oxford and Harvard, majored in Western hypocrisy".

I forgot:

"Wheelchair? I don't need a goddamn wheelchair!"

"No?" (thump) "You do, now!"

2 hours ago, Richard said:

It's quite quotable:

"I wish I could make you vanish",

"A man like that could blow my cover",

" Liver not too good". "It's definitely him, then",

My favourite:

"I know all about the UN embargo. I studied at Oxford and Harvard, majored in Western hypocrisy".

I forgot:

"Wheelchair? I don't need a goddamn wheelchair!"

"No?" (thump) "You do, now!"

But there's a line about a "dream machine" too right?  I'm too lazy to google it, but there was a line like that my school friends and I made fun of a lot back then.

On Wednesday, August 01, 2012 at 11:47 PM, BloodBoal said:

It's going to be deep... shit.

That could or should have been the last comment of this thread. Ridley Scott's two movies of the "Alien"-franchise represent his directorial regression of character drawing which started being a real problem in his movies since "Body of Lies". The next film IS going the be deep... shit.

Made even more painful by the fact that the book it was based on was actually quite interesting. Plus Leo DiCaprio couldn't pass for an Arab if his life depended on it

My magazine has been fortunate to get a special screening tomorrow, just for the three of us in the staff. I'm getting that kind of old-school 'nervous thrill' or childlike glee now that I haven't had since before PROMETHEUS and partially THE FORCE AWAKENS. Regardless of how the movie turns out, this is the film event of the year for me.

Indeed. It's actually pre-premiering in an outdoors screening here in Oslo on Friday, which is NOT ideal. Not only because of the noise from people and surroundings, but also because it's a freezing 3 degrees and snowing(!) today!! Not expected to improve much untill Friday either. So glad I can avoid that altogether.

7 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

Made even more painful by the fact that the book it was based on was actually quite interesting. Plus Leo DiCaprio couldn't pass for an Arab if his life depended on it

His character was supposed to be Arab?

Yes! Fun fact: at the end of the book, he discovers that his family's original surname was Fares, indicating their Arabic heritage, so he converts to Islam and legally changes his name back to 'Roger Fares'. It sounds weird out of context, but the book managed to explore his crisis of identity in a meaningful way between the slam-bang set pieces, and in parallel to the hunt for Suleiman (al-Saleem in the film).

But, my point being, aside from that twist, the character's undercover work required him to pass as a Muslim Arab, and Leo sticks out like a sore thumb

Just came back from the film. Loved it!

I have some minor issues, but they do in no way influence the overall judgement. This is Scott in top form, IMO (amazingly, for an 80-year-old). I know for a fact that some of these issues will cause mayor annoyance among those who are already critical to the film or the entire project's existence, but I'll take that on when it comes.

Not sure how much I should say, considering the worldwide premiere is just around the corner.

3 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

You liked Prometheus though didn't you?

Oh yes. Very much so. It's not quite as cerebral as PROMETHEUS, but thankfully has a little bit of that, as well as the more visceral horror & action that certain fans missed.

Just now, BloodBoal said:

Loved!

From what I've read here and there, the movie apparently tries to "fix" the inconsistencies created by the various sequels of the original film. Do you think it was done convincingly, Thor?

I haven't thought about that. There are many references to the original film (and even a couple of sequels), but I didn't notice any effort to "fix" anything. Not sure what those things would be, anyway.

This new film that takes before Alien, references Aliens/Alien3/Alien Resurrection?

How?

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

This new film that takes before Alien, references Aliens/Alien3/Alien Resurrection?

How?

In premise, style, visual details and some content/dialogue. Nothing story-wise, of course -- although there are some hints of what's to come.