Lincoln SCORE Discussion thread

Jay

Why do people keep saying this like it's a bad thing? Copland wrote some fantastic music. Appalachian Spring, Rodeo, Danzon Cubano (admittedly not much Americana in that last one) are amazing.

Because familiarity breeds contempt?

I can't believe how focused this score is. There is not a single wasted note. Everything feels like it belongs, like a delicate tapestry. Just beautiful writing, some of JW's best in a very long time.

Compare that to a lot of his scores of the 2002-2005 era where they tended to be cluttered with notes and brimming with orchestration. This is much more impressive, IMHO.

I wonder if the beautiful piano solo in the very last track comes directly from JW's hands. Randy Kerber is of course credited as soloist, but I'm wondering if this is a Schindler's List-like case, where Spielberg wanted to give his dear friend a moment of shine at the beginning of the end credits.

Why do people keep saying this like it's a bad thing? Copland wrote some fantastic music. Appalachian Spring, Rodeo, Danzon Cubano (admittedly not much Americana in that last one) are amazing.

Because familiarity breeds contempt?

If that's the case, you should be contemptuous of every film score-- hell, *all* music-- because everything is derivative of and influenced by something else.

Compare that to a lot of his scores of the 2002-2005 era where they tended to be cluttered with notes and brimming with orchestration.

LOL!

EMPEROR JOSEPH: My dear young man, don't take it too hard. Your work is ingenious. It's quality work. There are simply too many notes, that's all. Just cut a few and it will be perfect.

MOZART: Which few did you have in mind, Majesty?

If that's the case, you should be contemptuous of every film score-- hell, *all* music-- because everything is derivative of and influenced by something else.

I am contemptuous of every film score. And you...

Ah, you're one of those too-cool-for-school types. Gotcha.

Finally got around to listen to the suites from Erik's show. I think I have to take a few things back I said about Lincoln after the trailer was released. Not quite War Horse, but not far away. However, I don't see how you can miss how close some memorable thematic stuff is to War Horse.

Also, they chose some pretty unmemorable music compared to what else is there.

Lincoln indeed has a few themes that are cut from the similar pastoral cloth as some in War Horse but I find most of them more American in spirit and can't hear direct similarities in there except for one transitional string motif that sounds like part of the Bonding Theme, which is used twice on the album.

Ah, you're one of those too-cool-for-school types. Gotcha.

Publicist seems like a negative, pessimistic against almost everthing type of dude. Swimming against the stream seems his motto.

How you enjoy this board at all is beyond me Publicist...

Publicist seems like a negative, pessimistic against almost everthing type of dude. Swimming against the stream seems his motto.

Nah, he just doesn't ejaculate at every single thing that is released from JW. That's called sanity. ;)

What I want to say is the he doesn't strike me as a negative person at all.

Karol

And he still hasn't sent me the "Guidelines to definite measurement of artistic worth: An easy guide to setting the world of arts into perspective and neat order." ;)

Lincoln indeed has a few themes that are cut from the similar pastoral cloth as some in War Horse but I find most of them more American in spirit and can't hear direct similarities in there except for one transitional string motif that sounds like part of the Bonding Theme, which is used twice on the album.

The very first piece that opens Erik's show has chord progressions in there, in the middle, that sound absolutely identical to War Horse.

How you enjoy this board at all is beyond me Publicist...

That's because you only read selectively...and like so many people don't seem to understand the whole concept of being negative, pessimistic or...this most misused word of them all - cynical.

But since i never read anything by you that engaged me in any way (enraged, maybe), it has just to be accepted that the internet unites people which never would mix in real life due to their vast differences in personality, perception etc. So why bother?

And he still hasn't sent me the "Guidelines to definite measurement of artistic worth: An easy guide to setting the world of arts into perspective and neat order." ;)

I could but i'm afraid once leaked, it could cause me grave dangers here and elsewhere in fan circles at any place. Because the first paragraph opens with 'Your idol is a smelly particle in the urine stone beneath god's toilet seat. Accept it and move on."

I could but i'm afraid once leaked, it could cause me grave dangers here and elsewhere in fan circles at any place. Because the first paragraph opens with 'Your idol is a smelly particle in the urine stone beneath god's toilet seat. Accept it and move on."

Strange, I always thought my idol was god's kidney stone.

I can hear the various influences of previous scores in there:

Purpose of the Amendment is simliar to SPR

The loud main theme (People's House) is reminiscent of Joseph's Dream in Far and Away

Then there's the Bonding Theme from War Horse that make an appearance

Also The Patriot and Amistad, plus The Reivers

What's so great about "Peterson House and Finale", it's a good compilation but that's all it seems like to me. I was under the impression that the cue would be a full fledged end credit arrangement like The Homecoming or Harry's Wondrous World but there's only 2 minutes of new music, the editing of it is awkward too. Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty good track but it just didn't live up to the "hype" for me.

I like The People's House, Freedom Call, Elegy and both versions of With Malice Towards None more than this one, to be honest.

Overall, it is the kind of score that really grows on you. Not that there is anything particularly creative or original about it, but there is a sense of true artistry behind the execution of those (rather tired, I must say) ideas. And this is where Lincoln truly excels. Also, as it has been pointed out a few times it is a more reflective folk-like Americana, which I find much more appealing than some of the more bombastic and contemporary writing. Thoughtful and contemplative, rather than down-your-throat-boldness. I like that. But I'm sure film reviewers won't be able to tell the difference and dismiss the score as a tool of propaganda or whatever.

Not maestro's finest, but certainly up there with the best of 2012.

Karol

One of the motifs is certainly a derivation of the Bonding Theme, but other than the fact this is crafted from the same pastoral style, this score can still stand on its feet. Having said that, the score certainly pulls inspiration from many of the composer's past works.

It's one of Williams finest and most eloquent exercises in restraint. Never going down to the almost dull sequences of Saving Private Ryan nor the exuberance of War Horse, this work is the maestro's hand at restraint done with the greatest class and refinement. In that sense, I find it beautiful.

It may not be his greatest work, but this some very enjoyable Americana to add to his career. His hymnal approach to the film is to be appreciated.

You'll hear more from me about this score in my review.

I don't hear much the actual Lincoln theme in the album other than track 1 concert version and the Finale

I bet this most good statements will be in the unreleased music

Perhaps KM's JW instincts tell him more than we can guess at this point and the heroic theme heard in People's House is indeed the main theme, which JW just mistreats on the album. ;)

Or he (again) dreams feverishly of a past of 140-minute adventure scores given the short thrift on woeful Polydor albums. If anything, scores like LINCOLN, AMISTAD etc. go on too long on record, anyway, with too much repetition of the same stuff or less interesting dialogue scoring.

Again, I'd rather have all the cues then make up my mind which I like the best

War Horse had a great unreleased cue of the Bonding theme that was on the Academy Promo only

Perhaps KM's JW instincts tell him more than we can guess at this point and the heroic theme heard in People's House is indeed the main theme, which JW just mistreats on the album. ;)

While that is certainly possible, I think you are likely right in your analysis that its a theme used for the 13th ammendment and probably only plays once twice in the film. And JW just liked it enough to give it its own concert arrangement (though the concert arrangement features the American Process theme as well)

Anyway, I'll be seeing the film opening day and will be sure to let everyone know :)

War Horse had a great unreleased cue of the Bonding theme that was on the Academy Promo only

What, like a well-developed 3-minute cue or just a 50-second snippet? I have become weary over the years. Those supposedly IMPORTANT missing cues most often are just disposable odds&ends, all things considered.

What, like a well-developed 3-minute cue or just a 50-second snippet? I have become weary over the years. Those supposedly IMPORTANT missing cues most often are just disposable odds&ends, all things considered.

Don't be so negative, pessimistic, and cynical. It's not nice.

He got all those Academy promos, anyway, so all my sourpussy interventions can't really hurt him.

Neener neener neener!

It is a lovely solo flute rendition of the Bonding Theme. But also only about 50 seconds long. ;)

It is a lovely solo flute rendition of the Bonding Theme. But also only about 50 seconds long. ;)

QUED. Why bother? That being said, while listening to recent acquisitions of certain longer Williams franchise scores, i always found at least 2 or 3 cuts that are vastly superior to stuff that is ojn the released albums.

Between the Cinematic Sound radio show and the preview on that FM Radio station, I am pretty sure the entire CD has been publicly broadcast.

Nope. I've gone a year without listening to the Tin score, I'm really gonna take my time on Lincoln.

Not listening to a new JW score even once for almost a year. Once again you demonstrate the true spirit of a JW fan.Yet we can count on you to tell us how great The Hobbit is day one of the score's release

While that is certainly possible, I think you are likely right in your analysis that its a theme used for the 13th ammendment and probably only plays once twice in the film. And JW just liked it enough to give it its own concert arrangement (though the concert arrangement features the American Process theme as well)

Anyway, I'll be seeing the film opening day and will be sure to let everyone know :)

Well, if the track 1 is a concert arrangement of "The People's House" theme and the section of that theme in the Finale is tracked from that, is it used at all ? I don't hear it anywhere else.

I bet it's in the film more often.

I hope there's not to much unreleased underscore , because the 2 fiddle tracks, the Call to Muster whatever and the last track (since it's an edit )are kind of a waste of album space

Nope. I've gone a year without listening to the Tin score, I'm really gonna take my time on Lincoln.

Not listening to a new JW score even once for almost a year. Once again you demonstrate the true spirit of a JW fan. Yet we can count on you to tell us how great The Hobbit is day one of the score's release

Hey, I didn't join this site to become the greatest JW fan ever. I joined in 2002 for free prequel music just like maybe two or three other people. You want me to leave? I'll leave.

No, it's only obvious I know how to push your buttons, and enjoy doing so. Wojo's avoidance of Tintin has become my own personal running joke that, what, I'm the only one who gets a laugh? It's my laugh.

The 2 fiddle tracks are awesome, and the last track is not an edit, and its one of the best tracks!

I see, someone said it was an edit but I guess not

I lost the cord that connects my headphones to my computer, so at the moment I don't have any means of listening to Lincoln in good sound quality. Ordered another from Amazon, but in order to get free super saver shipping it's not going to ship until the CD ships on November 6th. I refuse to listen to it for the first time off my laptop speakers or crappy airplane headphones.

But that's fine, I've been waiting years for this score, I can wait a few more days.