The Overregarded and Overrated

Faleel

Williams' Lost in Space

The thread is not "Random scores I don't like" . Lost in Space is not massively overrated. Nobody seems to like here except me and 3 other guys.

Yeah, you're probably right. I would add though that I've started to appreciate the LLL set more in the past year or so. Still don't love it, but there's some cool stuff.

There really is no wrong opinion when it comes to film music. It's all how one views the music, regardless of whether its crap or a masterpiece.

I ask myself that question everyday.

If I recall you were one of the members who wanted me to come back here.

Of course my initial post could have been one of sarcasm and not meant to be taken seriously.

It's like watching your grand dad after a recent stroke sometimes. Only a pale echo of what he once was. And you wonder if it isn't better if he had died. You consider smothering him with a pillow, just to preserve his dignity....

Put by all accounts the fire in you still burns hot for the wife and kids, so I'll put the pillow down...

Jeez dude you act like I'm giving up on life.

;)

Matt, we're better with you than without.

• 1 year later...

The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgement Day. I never understood the appeal of those scores.

They're very effective and atmospheric synth scores, and the first score's cult status has a lot do with the fact that it was done on the cheap. That said, they work better in the films than as isolated listening experiences.

Nixon JFK - I'm not sure how highly people rate this, but something about it just rubs me wrong. It's personally my least favorite JW score.

Inception - It's not that I dislike it (I actually think it's quite effective in the film), but listening to it on its own does very little for me.

The Social Network - I've heard this given insanely high praise by people who I would otherwise think of as having pretty good musical taste. How the hell did this win an Oscar?

Edit- What was I thinking when I said the first one? I meant JFK, not Nixon.

The Social Network - I've heard this given insanely high praise by people who I would otherwise think of as having pretty good musical taste. How the hell did this win an Oscar?

Same way most scores win the Oscar: momentum

I have to lump in Raiders of the Lost Ark here. It's a fun watch, but it really doesn't do anything for me. It's not a film I want to over and over again -- and I've seen it seven times. All the ingredients are there, but the classic status eludes me.

I find more joy in the Errol Flynn swashbucklers than Raiders, so that makes us even... right?