Film music for the gym?

russds

Hey guys, just wondering, anybody have suggestions for film music for the gym? This last weekend, I listened to the opening of Slave Children Crusade (with the tail end of Saving Willie, just like it is in the movie) and found it very inspiring as I was lifting weights. I experimented, and found some good ones:

"The Crimson Gump" - Forest Gump

"Roll Tide" - Crimson Tide

Anybody have any other suggestions? I primarily use it for lifting weights, so it only needs to be around 1 minute long while I do 1 set, so it doesn't need to be a whole track, just a particularly awesome section of a track is good too.

Open to any ideas, thanks!

I don't work out these days, anyway, but when I did I couldn't listen to music (other than whatever was playing in the gym).

Furthermore, if I had, I wouldn't have used film music. Probably more like psytrance or goth metal or 80's electropop or something with energy and a steadfast beat like that.

That being said, there are a few film music cues that could work reasonably well -- like Vince di Cola's ROCKY IV ("Training Montage" and "War", for example).

Well I definitely work out with my iPod, because I don't want to listen to whatever TV or music is being broadcast in the gym, or find myself interested in far-off conversations. I usually try about 20-30 minutes on either a bike or elliptical, and then just hop between the various muscle targeting equipment. I've found that more energetic film music is definitely preferred, so something like TRON Legacy works really well over something more reflective like To Kill a Mockingbird. Tonight I may try out Conan the Barbarian just for kicks. But usually, I listen to upbeat rock or heavy metal because it maintains a constant energy level not found in film score albums, simply because I haven't created a "mixtape" playlist of individual tracks.

Furthermore, if I had, I wouldn't have used film music. Probably more like psytrance or goth metal or 80's electropop or something with energy and a steadfast beat like that.

Hum, no. He didn't ask for music to take drugs to.

Drugs? Then I'd probably go for some ol' fashioned psychedelia and prog rock.

The thing I want to listen to THE LEAST while working out is orchestral film music or classical or whatever -- no matter how upbeat it is.

I need ENERGY and BEATS....and very little film music can provide that when it's up against, say, Paul Oakenfold, Rammstein or Juno Reactor.

Great ideas guys, thanks! Keep them coming.

For the record, I do weightlifting, and I normally do Metallica, Pantera, Rammstein, and the like. I was just experimenting with some good scores too. The montage/rocky type track, doesn't really do it for me as they come across slightly more cheesy, than motivating. The only words I can think to describe the music want would be something like, "Out of my way, I'm going to kick some ass!!". :)

Great! I was looking for More John Powell Tracks. I tried "Test Drive" from How to train your dragon, which is good, but wasn't quiet as 'kick ass' as I wanted. :)

...so something like TRON Legacy works really well over something more reflective like To Kill a Mockingbird. Tonight I may try out Conan the Barbarian just for kicks...

Tron and Conan are great ideas. I was actually thinking of the opening credits of Total Recall (Goldsmith) too, which is very Conan-esque.

Speedy Cardio? Or Weight Lifting? If the later, this will set the stage and mood :P

(Jump to 1:17)

Great, this is really nice!

Zimmer's Batscores get me pumped at the gym.

Thanks, I was thinking that too, any Specific tracks? I wanted to try some of the batscores, but wasn't sure which tracks might be good?

Drugs? Then I'd probably go for some ol' fashioned psychedelia and prog rock.

The thing I want to listen to THE LEAST while working out is orchestral film music or classical or whatever -- no matter how upbeat it is.

I need ENERGY and BEATS....and very little film music can provide that when it's up against, say, Paul Oakenfold, Rammstein or Juno Reactor.

I need energy and beats, and also need the music to be fucking listenable.

I need energy and beats, and also need the music to be fucking listenable.

Whatever works for you.

The stuff I mentioned is also music I like to listen to at home. Psytrance/goa, for example, is bloody brilliant for gearing up to a party. Or just getting in a certain mood. Sometimes, I get so friggin' tired by film music, I won't listen to it for days and weeks on end. Then there are other times where I listen to nothing BUT film music. I need the stylistic diversity and also music for different purposes in life.

I was gonna say that I don't work out and that we should discuss music to poop to, then I realized that we actually had a thread about that. Only at JWFan.

I used to say that I don't work out, too. But I'm 31 and easily at least 50 pounds overweight. I'm tired of it. And music to keep the mind entertained while the body goes through the motions is always a good thing.

...so something like TRON Legacy works really well over something more reflective like To Kill a Mockingbird. Tonight I may try out Conan the Barbarian just for kicks...

Tron and Conan are great ideas. I was actually thinking of the opening credits of Total Recall (Goldsmith) too, which is very Conan-esque.

I made it through all of two minutes of Conan before switching to something else.

Great! I was looking for More John Powell Tracks. I tried "Test Drive" from How to train your dragon, which is good, but wasn't quiet as 'kick ass' as I wanted. :)

You can also try with Hero from the first Kung Fu Panda score (the quick part, of course), Building the Crate and Fight Training from Chicken Run, and maybe even The Colony from Antz.

Go for See You Tomorrow. It doesn't get more kick-ass than that.

I have a three hour film score playlist for when I go running. It goes from fast paced/actiony tracks like "Battle of the Heroes" and "Requiem for a Dream" to calmer more dramatic pieces such as "The Chairman's Waltz."

I definitely recommend the theme to Requiem for a Dream, I save it for the last stretch of my run for when I really want to push it and just picture the world blowing up behind me haha.

Great, this is really nice!

Glad you liked it. It certainly gets the "Raaaaaaaaaarrggh!!!!" savagery going in me when I listen to it :P

Below is one for you that would be great for an early morning long distance run over a frosty plain or similar. :drool:

From 3:36 onwards, I guarantee that you will feel utterly invincible as you pick up the pace.

Of course, this beauty below could also fit the same scenario.

1:28 as you pick up the pace, and 2:35 for that whole body orgasm!. :woop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjErcQVg0-Y

Melange - "Raaaaaaaaaarrggh!!!!"

Great thread, I was thinking about starting one along these lines myself!

I've been listening to The Hobbit score almost non-stop lately, and I can recommend three tracks from it that would be great to work out to:

Warg-Scouts

Brass Buttons

Out of the Frying Pan

Other good ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex8TDzQYUes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFRiQItyoOQ

@Score_Fan, tried some bat-tracks at the gym last night, they did work really well actually! :)

Also, stumbled upon another great band/track for the gym. Although technically not film music, the band wrote music with the intent of being used in movie trailers, and sounding like film music (according to the wiki article). E.S. Posthumus - Pompeii

• 1 month later...

I stay away from film music for gym/home workouts. I go with Dillinger Escape Plan, or something equally crazy. Maybe Opeth.

Basil Poledouris' Conan the Barbarian.

We should have a whole series of threads devoted to scoring different activities in life. I'd be curious to see what people come up with.

For this one, my first thought would be some of the music from the climactic scenes of Matrix: Revolutions—"Saw Bitch Workhorse," Neodämmerung," and certainly "Navras," to name a few.

You also couldn't go wrong with a lot from the score for Gladiator.

I can think of a ton of others that would work for most of the rest of us. But if you're after a straight-up, kick-ass, take-no-prisoners style, these would be in the right vein. (And if these don't work, maybe The NeverEnding Story. . . ?)

- Uni

I love that one too . . . though it was more of a joke in this context. But hey, if "Bastion's Happy Flight" gets you going on that treadmill, how is it worse than anything else, right?

- Uni

Great suggestions guys, I still need to give a listen to lots of these. Update, I've been using the batscore tracks recommended by @Score_Fan which have worked really well. Somehow the low brass and drive Zimmer puts into those tracks, works great while lifting! :)

You also couldn't go wrong with a lot from the score for Gladiator.

I can think of a ton of others that would work for most of the rest of us. But if you're after a straight-up, kick-ass, take-no-prisoners style, these would be in the right vein. (And if these don't work, maybe The NeverEnding Story. . . ?)

- Uni

You know i tried Gladiator as an assumption, but actually couldn't find any tracks that really did it for me, but I don't nkow the movie/soundtrack that well. Any specific tracks you can recommend?

I had pretty much written off any '80s or montage recommendation as a joke, or at least not for me. But I may have to give NeverEnding Story a try at least as a score on it's own...I never really listened to it, haven't seen the movie in many...many years. :)

Thanks!