X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014 film directed by Bryan Singer)

Matt C

Did you not also think they went a bit mad with the post processing effects during that scene as well? It's a shame because they put stuntmen on those bikes and pretty much mounted it for real; only to later grade the shit out of it till it looked unnatural, like something out of The Hobbit. The backgrounds ended up looking artificial.

Which is ironic when one of them was pretty much done for real.

Blockbuster movies these days seem to get put through so many post production filtering and tinkering techniques that I bet the original shot footage is barely recognisable to the DP.

I'm not so sure in this particular case. It does stand out oddly from the rest of the film though. I was in the theater, excited, and all of a sudden there's green screen and washed out colors and I'm thinking "What the fuck happened to Mendes and Deakins?" Fortunately it quickly goes uphill from there.

Did you see it on the big screen? It was blatant. Made me miss old Bond movies.

Like those great shots of Connery "in Miami" in Goldfinger?

I share the thoughts of Rodrigo Perez of Indiewire:

The Wolverine wants to have it both ways: a dark character story and an action-packed superhero film. But it never reconciles the two notes, and thus becomes more and more atonal as it wobbles towards its symphonically jarring ending.

He's implying that there's something bad about atonality.

• 2 months later...

Just seems like there's a LOT of characters and a LOT of story to plow through. It might get so bogged down in story details it forgets to have fun action sequences too. Who knows

I thought the movie and his acting were quite good. I have no serious issues with McAvoy.

As far as X-Men is concerned, I'm not all that interested in this franchise anymore. I honestly wish they would reboot it.

Since the Sentinels do not appear in the original X-Men film or any of its sequels and prequels, I assume that to mean that the Sentinels existed in an alternate timeline that was rectified by the time of the original movie.

Rich

Just seems like there's a LOT of characters and a LOT of story to plow through. It might get so bogged down in story details it forgets to have fun action sequences too. Who knows

And maybe that's not the case at all! Who knows?

Since the Sentinels do not appear in the original X-Men film or any of its sequels and prequels, I assume that to mean that the Sentinels existed in an alternate timeline that was rectified by the time of the original movie.

Rich

They appeared in a Danger Room simulation in X-Men 3.

First Class was enough of a "reboot" for me, adding new faces and now new momentum to the old ones. I just don't think I've ever heard of someone actually wanting a franchise rebooted before. Can't imagine how it would be done in a way that didn't feel totally unnecessary.

First Class was essentially meant as a reboot, up until Singer decided to return I guess.

Continuity between movies have been screwed up ever since X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

In what time do the scenes with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen take place? It seems to be in a near post apocalyptic world. Must be sometime after the events of The Wolverine. The teaser at the end of that movie was dated a year after the events of The Wolverine, but things certainly werent apocalyptic yet.

First Class was essentially meant as a reboot, up until Singer decided to return I guess.

Continuity between movies have been screwed up ever since X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

In what time do the scenes with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen take place? It seems to be in a near post apocalyptic world. Must be sometime after the events of The Wolverine. The teaser at the end of that movie was dated a year after the events of The Wolverine, but things certainly werent apocalyptic yet.

Which likely means that the future events seen in DOFP are taking place well after that last bit we saw in THE WOLVERINE, as opposed to straight after. That ending was kind of fun, not giving away too much on what will come, only that something was big enough to make Xavier and Magneto join forces.