Hans Zimmer's Man Of Steel

Jay

has this review been posted again?

http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=3683

This is really, really bad simple music, puerile and banal throughout. If you were a youngster back in the 1990s who quite enjoyed Media Ventures film scores, then I imagine the music you might write for some sort of school project might sound something like this.

(...)

and I can never remember having such a feeling of being treated like an idiot by a film score

I haven't given this score a whirl in album form. I'll have to give it a go and see if I agree with the slaughtering it's getting. I didn't mind it at all during the movie.

Yes, for a certain mind set.

Where people are going wrong is they're still searching for film music which is something more than just 'serviceable'. But it's a mug's game, those days are long gone. Realising that is the first step in the right direction away from a future of soundtrack disappointments.

Giacchino? Desplat? Don't make me laugh.

We're living in the era of serviceable underscore. Get used to it, you can't change it, lose the hang ups and just watch the movie.

Except even in film, the score is barely serviceable in film. There were several misscored scenes.

I can't remember noticing any music which failed to be serviceable. I thought the action music was rubbish, and that was it. Then again I wasn't sat there listening for it. I was watching the movie.

We're living in the era of serviceable underscore. Get used to, you can't change it, lose the hang ups and just watch the movie.

Goldsmith's Planet of the Apes is serviceable underscore too!

But it's a quality sophisticated serviceable score...

Well, the very first thing I notice in a film is the music, the way a photographer will notice the photography, and an actor will notice the acting..

i get the idea from many people, in other forums too, that when we're talking about good old film music we're always referring to the BIG symphonic score with wealth of thematic material and that's it.

For me it's not a matter of size of orchestra, or memorable themes.

it's a matter of COMPOSITION!

A 3-instrument score, or an electronic score can be great too as long as it's a good composition by itself!

Meaning, the composer knows the language of harmony well, knows what to do with his material, how to handle it, knows sophisticated ways of construncting a simple melody etc. etc...

Where people are going wrong is they're still searching for film music which is something more than just 'serviceable'.

I can't remember noticing any music which failed to be serviceable. I thought the action music was rubbish, and that was it. Then again I wasn't sat there listening for it. I was watching the movie.

Like we're going to lower our tastes just because. If it's got terrible music in it, it does affect my viewing experience. It's part of the film after all. Anything else is just an abstraction. If superhero franchises are scored with crap then the interesting score will just be somewhere else, but that's no reason to suddenly lower the bar and pretend said crap was really the best a mega high budget film can achieve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFup0bX3YRM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtkMX42N3Bw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb6Ga4dCtUM

You're less fussy than I, Chaac.

And I'm not saying there aren't diamonds in the rough either. No, I'm simply offering that moaning and complaining about the abundance of crap music in movies right now is pretty pointless and a waste of breath.

Yes, for a certain mind set.Where people are going wrong is they're still searching for film music which is something more than just 'serviceable'. But it's a mug's game, those days are long gone. Realising that is the first step in the right direction away from a future of soundtrack disappointments.Giacchino? Desplat? Don't make me laugh.We're living in the era of serviceable underscore. Get used to, you can't change it, lose the hang ups and just watch the movie.

Man of Steel is one of the worst and most irritatingly misconceived scores a movie was ever graced with. It's not even serviceable. I listened to it once, some cues two or three times, but the essence is that I won't go back to this score, like, ever.

Maybe to once again remind me that yes, Giacchino is a great composer. His score lifted STID in quite a few places extraordinarily.

When all I can say about a score is "well, I wasn't bothered by it", then it's crap.

While I agree with you to an extent, Chaac, let me ask you this: Have you seen all of those films?

I've seen three.

These were just random examples of "quick, think on recent scores you liked to calm yourself down" ROTFLMAO

Yes, for a certain mind set.Where people are going wrong is they're still searching for film music which is something more than just 'serviceable'. But it's a mug's game, those days are long gone. Realising that is the first step in the right direction away from a future of soundtrack disappointments.Giacchino? Desplat? Don't make me laugh.We're living in the era of serviceable underscore. Get used to, you can't change it, lose the hang ups and just watch the movie.

Man of Steel is one of the worst and most irritatingly misconceived scores a movie was ever graced with. It's not even serviceable. I listened to it once, some cues two or three times, but the essence is that I won't go back to this score, like, ever.

Maybe to once again remind me that yes, Giacchino is a great composer. His score lifted STID in quite a few places extraordinarily.

When all I can say about a score is "well, I wasn't bothered by it", then it's crap.

As I said before, if you think Man Of Steel is the worst score ever you need to listen to more scores/see more films.

While I agree with you to an extent, Chaac, let me ask you this: Have you seen all of those films?

I've seen three.

That's good. My point was that if you're going to discuss how serviceable a score is to its film, it helps to have seen it. (Not being sarcastic)

We're living in the era of serviceable underscore. Get used to, you can't change it, lose the hang ups and just watch the movie.

Well, the very first thing I notice in a film is the music, the way a photographer will notice the photography, and an actor will notice the acting..

i get the idea from many people, in other forums too, that when we're talking about good old film music we're always referring to the BIG symphonic score with wealth of thematic material and that's it.

A 3-instrument score, or an electronic score can be great too as long as it's a good composition by itself!

Meaning, the composer knows the language of harmony well, knows what to do with his material, how to handle it, knows sophisticated ways of construncting a simple melody etc. etc...

Indeed. But if you think Goldsmith's Planet of the Apes is a merely serviceable score I'd love to know what you think about something like his Total Recall music...

Indeed. But if you think Goldsmith's Planet of the Apes is a merely serviceable score I'd love to know what you think about something like his Total Recall music...

I didn't say it's "merely". On the contraty, I think it's a high form of composition, that it so happens it serves the film too.

Well, i think I mostly meant that it doesn't have the stand-out memorable themes.

Isn't that what you meant by "underscore"? That it doesn't draw too much attention on itself, as would the Williams' Superman theme.

about total recall: it's also a perfectly serviceable underscore with a couple of recognizable themes (which undergo some variations and development), and are not simplistic as they may sound.

I think both scores are much more than just "serviceable" ;)

well, english is not my native language, so I may not understand quite what do you mean by "serviceable".

They do serve the film alright, don't they? (this is what I mean by "serviceable")

And they can stand on their own too.

Your English is pretty good. By serviceable we tend to mean 'adequate', or 'workmanlike'. Competent, but not much else.

Here, when we call a score serviceable we tend to be speaking in derogatory terms, meaning we wish a score had greater artistic integrity, which is of course subjective ;)

Your English is pretty good. By serviceable we tend to mean 'adequate', or 'workmanlike'. Competent, but not much else.

oh ok. Now I understand.

Then, I didn't mean that! :)

I meant that it serves the picture. Not that it's just competent or adequate.

Bear in mind I can't take you seriously in the slightest where this movie and its score are concerned, gkg. Your opinion is disposable and you know why.

Because I have a dislike against Zimmer? Because I like Superman and want it to be special? Or is it because you're an ass ...?

Speaking of disposable opinions, someone like you, who has given up hope and expectations, and surrendered to the thought that the days of memorable scores and great summer movies are gone, has more of a disposable opinion than anyone.

Why should anyone value the opinion of someone who is already pleased with a film that doesn't bore him to death and has some entertainment value?

Never mind.

There are still fun summer films being made with great music. There's not as much as there used to be but they exist.

Now now no arguments, no arguments on my watch my good fellows! I hate when people disagree. Pistols at dawn is more like it. Now off you go to search for squires. Nothing is more invaluable than a loyal squire in a duel to the death.

Never mind.

There are still fun summer films being made with great music. There's not as much as there used to be but they exist.

The films part I agree with, but not so much the music part. For some reason gkg decided to claim I said both, but I let it pass because that's his style.

I didn't say it's "merely". On the contraty, I think it's a high form of composition, that it so happens it serves the film too.

Well, i think I mostly meant that it doesn't have the stand-out memorable themes.

PLANET OF THE APES does have memorable themes.

yeah, prometheus, we have discussed this before.

I meant it doesn't have the memorable themes that the average moviegoer perceives (aka tonal themes)

(eg a 12-tone theme may be memorable to you who are analysing this stuff, but it's not to most people)

All here aren't composers or musicologists, so I'm trying as much as I can not to speak as one in such threads.

I never though found any enjoyment in the POTA score, great film score, not so great outside listening experience.

I never though found any enjoyment in the POTA score, great film score, not so great outside listening experience.

And this is what i meant by my previous post. ;)

You must be into this stuff, to like it outside of the film.. (well, that's what i think)

20 years ago, I wouldn't be able to sit through it as a standalone listening experience.

But not that I feel more mature, i find it great and extremely interesting.

(and I believe I would even more if I started studying it bar by bar to see its construction exactly)

And this is what i meant by my previous post. ;)

You must be into this stuff, to like it outside of the film.. (well, that's what i think)

20 years ago, I wouldn't be able to sit through it as a standalone listening experience.

But not that I feel more mature, i find it great and extremely interesting.

(and I believe I would even more if I started studying it bar by bar to see its construction exactly)

my feelings haven't change in 40 plus years. it's just not inviting to me. I certainly never wore the album out.

Have any of you read the endless list of 5 star reviews on iTunes of the CD? I find it amazing how different the opinions on their are to here, I'm guessing most of them don't really listen to film scores much. Some great quotes are 'zimmer is in my opinion the best movie score composer of all time' and that man of steel is 'arguably his best score'.

I guess those are reviews of 10-18 years old kids?

Have any of you read the endless list of 5 star reviews on iTunes of the CD? I find it amazing how different the opinions on their are to here, I'm guessing most of them don't really listen to film scores much. Some great quotes are 'zimmer is in my opinion the best movie score composer of all time' and that man of steel is 'arguably his best score'.

Oh, no. I'm sure there are adults in there as well.

Yes it is the riff raff we call "the general public". Ignorant simpletons all.

As Horace says: Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away.

Oh, no. I'm sure there are adults in there as well.

Needs adult supervision, you mean.

As Horace says: Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away.

My Latin is a bit rusty, but doesn't that rather mean "Cut the bullshit nonsense"?

"Cut the bullshit nonsense" = Odi profanum vulgus

et arceo = e.t. phone home

My Latin is a bit rusty, but doesn't that rather mean "Cut the bullshit nonsense"?

I would say that your Latin is not rusty but turned to dust BB.