Hans Zimmer's Man Of Steel

Jay

He was tired of doing the power anthem/male chorus approach to music and wanted to explore more experimental soundscape methods instead.

Because "power anthem/male chorus approach" and "more experimental soundscape methods" are the only two options available...? :rolleyes:

No, he simply moved from one style to another.

I'm not sure of that.

Most of the Shirley Walker YT posts actually get positive feedback on the videos, so not all YouTubers are mindless idiots. But those videos don't get the fraction of views Zimmer videos enjoy.

Cool and hip things have very short shelf lives, BloodBoal.

What is the Hans Zimmer sound? It is the shell suit of movie music. John Williams on the other hand is the denim jeans of film music. Timeless.

That even kind of looks like a young Hans Zimmer with hair in the sheel suit.

Of course. You can't forget your roots!

Sadly I haven't posted there as much as I used to due to my lack of time. But I'll get that fixed soon... :P

Now i know how the pure, true and honest heartland people of America sound. Thanks, Hans.

I can detect ZERO relation between the words and that music. Are they certain that IS the track that Mr. Zimmer was referring to?

My suspicion is that he was talking about a general approach/philosophy, and they thought, "Well, that describes the score, so that's what to listen for in this complete track!" It's gotta be a mistake. The trailer music sounds much more like it's supposed to relate to that description.

"I wanted the epic sound of the fields and farms stretching past the horizon, of the wind humming in the telephone wires."

You don't always get what you want... hmmm.

And the bullshitting about Zimmer's so-called "philosophy" in his most recent dull effort begins.

That.

I'm sorry, but what Zimmer describes there is everything his music isn't, and Williams' was. How you can get the idea that MoS's droning has anything to do with horizons and farms and wind blowing and the struggle of a character is, frankly, beyond mortal comprehension.

Zimmer's mindmasturbation at its best.

And the bullshitting about Zimmer's so-called "philosophy" in his most recent dull effort begins.

Sadly these days Zimmer is far more adept at coming up with bullshit than a decent intelligent score.

Of course, I'll reserve judgement until I hear the score in the movie but that track just sounds like another tired extension of the Inception/Batman sound which is as far removed from "the fields and farms of America's heartland" as you can get. :sarcasm:

• 2 weeks later...

Up is Down is good fun, as is much of At World's End. Hard to tell whether Zimmer wrote it.

Unfortunately it seems that directors aren't asking him for that brighter material any more.

Up is Down is good fun, as is much of At World's End. Hard to tell whether Zimmer wrote it.

Oh the theme is by Hans alright. But the "Up is Down" cue in particular was done by Jackman (I believe) using Zimmer's theme, if I'm not mistaken.

But yeah, it's a great piece :)

You mean he merely copied the score for someone to play it or that he participated in the writing making decisions on orchestration, harmony, etc?

So how many people wrote Up is Down? There must be a list somewhere. I like my tracks correctly tagged.

Great, more simplistic piano rambling and a power anthem that couldn't be less interesting.

If anything, I'm reminded of one of Powell's X-Men 3 themes, the one where he emulates John Barry.

A piano can be heard in this sample.

But you know there are sampled pianos out there, right?

Jackman was responsible for it's orchestration, he didn't write it.

You mean he merely copied the score for someone to play it or that he participated in the writing making decisions on orchestration, harmony, etc?

So how many people wrote Up is Down? There must be a list somewhere. I like my tracks correctly tagged.

God, I hate this fucking mishmash of a dozens composers doing a single cue. What is the goddamn use? Is anyone making one step forward in their development because of that?

No there is no specific list unless you can get your hands on the sheet music for a cue-by-cue breakdown. Even then it's not accurate as Zimmer credits people on the sheet music that didn't actually write music.

From what I know, it was Jackman's idea to make it a jig of sorts.

That main theme is such a 'static' theme... I sort of like it (it's memorable) but it's still a power anthem that could easily be sung to, and the heavy and droning orchestration does it no favours.

It also sounds no different from anything Zimmer delivered in Inception/TKD/TDKR/Sherlock.

God, I hate this fucking mishmash of a dozens composers doing a single cue. What is the goddamn use? Is anyone making one step forward in their development because of that?

My bigger problem is using multiple additional composers, which doesn't give one guy the chance to make a cohesive, developed score.

IMO, time constraints are the only reason to use as many additional composers as Zimmer does (I know others probably do it too, but no one seems as proud as Zimmer does at outsourcing the work - I don't think it's anything to be proud of).

I love it!

Karol

I try to like it but am failing miserably.

I love it!

Karol

I try to like it but am failing miserably.

I can't even remember what Williams' theme sounded like.

Karol

I still can't undestand if you're kidding or not!