Hans Zimmer's Man Of Steel

Jay

Someone in the comments section said it's track 3 on the album, "Sent Here For A Reason."

The first part clearly is Sent Here For A Reason (it fits the 30-second sample of that track), but I think the rest of the music isn't. I'm sure it combines music from two or three cues.

I'm confused. "Sent Here For A Reason" is a mesh of two or three cues or this posted cue is? If the posted cue contains the 30 second sample then shouldn't that be it?

What I mean is that the beginning of the trailer music sounds like the 30-second sample of Sent Here For A Reason, but I believe that the rest of the trailer music (the action part) is from another cue.

I say that because I believe that Sent Here For A Reason is a cue/track/whatever you want to call it for a "sentimental" scene (probably Clark talking with his dad), not an action scene. Of course, it could still contain music from various scenes..

sounds like a line from Superman....

I wonder if this Clark can score a touchdown everytime he touches the football, everytime. I bet he can put up a hell of a jumpshot too.

http://www.watertower-music.com/releases_spotlight.php?search=WTM39426

Listened to the samples

Look At The Stars seem to have the piano chords heard at the start of the third trailer.

Sent Here For A Reason again has them

Terraforming again seemed to have them

This Is Clark Kent again has them

I Have So Many Questions again has them

Flight again has them

What Are You Going To Do When You Are Not Saving The World? again has them

Earth again has them

Goodbye My Son actually seems to have a melody (!!!), a woman humming something

Oil Rig, If You Love These People, Terraforming, Tornado, You Die Or I Do, Ignition, I Will Find Him, Are You Listening, Clark?, You Led Us Here, Earth, Arcade were just banal and tone deaf

Some of it sounded like a really inferior Tron - specially Launch

I also heard the Inception far trombone a couple of times.

This Is Clark Kent genuinely seems to have the begining of a pinao melody but the sample cut off. I was shocked beyond words.

Flight seems to have a big statement of those chords. But what are those??? Is a theme? What is it? It just sounds like two note chords to me.

General Zod seems to be a sound effects track rather than music

It seems the action music will just be loud banging drums.

QUESTION: Are those piano chords the Superman theme???

Im wondering if the track that was revealed with even be on the CD? I know its the third trailer music but its the absolute BEST track. Please let that be on there lol!

Im wondering if the track that was revealed with even be on the CD? I know its the third trailer music but its the absolute BEST track.

How do you know it's the best track? You haven't even listened to the CD yet!

the 3rd sample (2nd to 3rd minute) reminds me a lot of the "theme" of Social Network. I mean in tone..

edit: listening to all this, I was wondering what Clint Mansell would come up with.

edit 2: this, eventually, seems to be the most synth-orchestrated score of Zimmer. ( I mean except for his early works)

edit3: I was wondering, has anyone ever asked him in an interview or something why did he abandon the "musical way of scoring" and turned to more "soundscape way of scoring"?

Listened to the entire 23 minute track this morning. Was surprised by how completely underwhelmed I was. I mean granted, I wasn't expecting to like it - but this was really, REALLY boring.

I'm also wondering what the "Zimmerians" will say about this.

Will they talk of another masterpiece?

(well, as i see from some comments in that video, they will)

edit3: I was wondering, has anyone ever asked him in an interview or something why did he abandon the "musical way of scoring" and turned to more "soundscape way of scoring"?

He was tired of doing the power anthem/male chorus approach to music and wanted to explore more experimental soundscape methods instead.

He was tired of doing the power anthem/male chorus approach to music and wanted to explore more experimental soundscape methods instead.

Because "power anthem/male chorus approach" and "more experimental soundscape methods" are the only two options available...? :rolleyes:

I was really hoping Zimmer would return back to old fashioned power anthem writing here, but the extended samples are awful. You'd think he'd be able to give this film a unique soundscape at the very least as he had done with Batman and PotC. But it's just a mishmash of Inception and his usual percussion rhythms.

I was really hoping Zimmer would return back to old fashioned power anthem writing here.

Its a sad day in film music indeed when we are calling power anthems "old fashioned" and are yearning for them

Its a sad day in film music indeed when we are calling power anthems "old fashioned" and are yearning for them

I was about to say the exact same thing, but you saved me the trouble. :rolleyes:

Other possibility: This is the kind of movie that "the masses" like and they'll accept any music in that film and consider it the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Provided it doesn't sound "classical". *Shudders*

The masses (what a bullshit term) like great music in their movies the same way we do. They just don't know it till they hear it.

Sure there will be a few YouTubers declaring this as being an "amazing song", but there's no way on earth this score will be regarded as defining the movie it accompanied and going on to become highly revered for it, in years to come. By the masses.

That's what Williams did for himself and the industry, that's the difference. The masses know very well what they like.

Sure there will be a few YouTubers declaring this as being an "amazing song", but there's no way on earth this score will be regarded as defining the movie it accompanied and going on to become highly revered for it, in years to come. By the masses.

You tell that to the Academy members when they vote it for an Academy Award nomination (like the Social Network) :biglaugh:

The masses (what a bullshit term) like great music in their movies the same way we do. They just don't know it till they hear it.

[...]

The masses know very well what they like.

?

Listened to the entire 23 minute track this morning. Was surprised by how completely underwhelmed I was. I mean granted, I wasn't expecting to like it - but this was really, REALLY boring.

That's actually surprising to hear from someone who I think is open-minded. Is it really that boring? Some Zimmer scores I can listen to to get a quick thrill out of them, but that sounds really terrifying.

I'm contemplating seeing the movie after all. Zimmer already ruined a good portion of Dark Knight Rises for me.

You tell that to the Academy members when they vote it for an Academy Award nomination (like the Social Network) :biglaugh:

Political voting festers in the Eurovision Song Contest as well ;)

That's actually surprising to hear from someone who I think is open-minded. Is it really that boring? Some Zimmer scores I can listen to to get a quick thrill out of them, but that sounds really terrifying.

There was only a handful of action-y moments towards the middle of the samples (apart from that drum circle in track 2, which got irritating really quick). The rest was a lot of droning and soundscape type stuff. No melodies and anything you will be humming. So yes, very boring.

[...]

The masses know very well what they like.

?

The subconscious. Zimmer's score won't filter through into pop culture like Williams' work does, nobody leaves the theatre humming the theme to The Dark Knight.

Masses don't have a subconscious.

Oh, and you seem to have missed comments such as these that start appearing on the web:

This music makes me forget about John William's incredible score so i dont know what your talking about.

Hans did it, he made me forget about the Williams score, and appreciate this modern take on Superman

Wow. I never thought I would move beyond the original Williams theme. This is amazing

That's what Williams did for himself and the industry, that's the difference. The masses know very well what they like.

Perfectly said, i agree!

nobody leaves the theatre humming the theme to The Dark Knight.

I can't understand why, it's one of the easiest themes to hum; you only need 2 notes. My 3 year old can hum it and she doesn't even know how to hum yet.

Zimmer fans and the masses always declare his next score as the greatest ever, five years later it is all but forgotten. Greatness is measured by time; in 35 years which theme will still be remembered and revered... Zimmer's or Williams'? I've only listened to the "An Ideal of Hope" track once and I've already forgotten his theme. On a side note, I can't stop humming Giacchino's "Ode to Harrison" theme.

Two note themes aren't hummed. Two note themes are clearing your throat.

Well, i can hum the Jaws theme! :biglaugh:

(it was funny about a friend of mine, who always tried to sing it but he kept singing a tone instead of a semitone)

But who hums the two note suspense theme for fun? Seriously? I use it with a shark hand gesture to be ironic in the pool, that's about it.

And the winner of the Best Original Score goes to......

Hanz Zimmer, Man of Steel.

LA crowd goes nuts, John Williams who was also nominated for a small Chris Columbus film he was asked to rescore at the last minute sings Zimmer's praises, "I've always though my Superman score was overrated, but now along comes Hanz and shows me just how much" he then raises his hands in a praying gesture and points to Zimmer and begins to weep.

It wouldn't mean a thing. The scores are thirty years apart. If the Academy decided to not honor Williams so soon after Star Wars, they could not predict an inferior sequel receiving merit in a future generation, with a different set of voters.

Wojo is right, it doesn't mean a thing.

Each year the scores are compared to the other scores released that year. The 1979 voters compared Superman to the other scores of 1978. The 2014 voters would be comparing MOS against the other scores of 2013. The best score of 2013 could still be leagues less worthy than any score from 1978

As soon as we have checked the small print at the end of the liner notes, we will see if Zimmer's will be eligible anyway.

Who wants to bet how many ghostw .... ahem, "additional composers" there were on this one? My guess is five.

Masses don't have a subconscious.

Oh, and you seem to have missed comments such as these that start appearing on the web:

This music makes me forget about John William's incredible score so i dont know what your talking about.

Hans did it, he made me forget about the Williams score, and appreciate this modern take on Superman

Wow. I never thought I would move beyond the original Williams theme. This is amazing

It's called Youtube BloodBoal. Every piece of music out there has a million youtube comments raving about how that video is the greatest thing they've ever heard/seen. That in no way represents the collective mainstream audience.

Your negative outlook has merely conditioned you to believe that. A few eager YouTubers don't represent the entirety of western pop culture.