Hans Zimmer's Man Of Steel

Jay

Now up on iTunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/man-steel-original-motion/id642515245

The iTunes entry gives Junxie XL credit on only 3 tracks - "General Zod", "This Is Madness" and "Arcade", all on the second disc. Could be wrong though, who knows. Also we now know the track times for the disc 2 tracks (I don't think we knew them before, anyway)

1 Look to the Stars 2:58
2 Oil Rig 1:45
3 Sent Here for a Reason 3:46
4 Dna 3:34
5 Goodbye My Son 2:01
6 If You Love These People 3:22
7 Krypton's Last 1:58
8 Terraforming 9:49
9 Tornado 2:53
10 You Die or I Do 3:13
11 Launch 2:36
12 Ignition 1:19
13 I Will Find Him 2:57
14 This Is Clark Kent 3:47
15 I Have So Many Questions 3:47
16 Flight 4:18
17 What Are You Going to Do When You Are Not Saving the World? 5:27
1 Man of Steel (Hans' Original Sketchbook) 28:16
2 Are You Listening, Clark? 2:48
3 General Zod 7:21
4 You Led Us Here 2:59
5 This Is Madness! 3:48
6 Earth 6:11
7 Arcade 7:25

lol

You talked about the pressure of reinventing Batman's themes. Was it even more challenging to tackle Superman, with the John Williams legacy?

I seized up completely for three months. I went into complete, 'Oh my god, it's John Williams and it's brilliant and I have no idea what to do' mode! This is where you need strong directors who sit you down and say things like, "But Hans, it's just another movie. Get real!" And encourage you and cheer you on and hold your hand and suddenly you start having an idea, just a little idea out of the corner of your eye and you start following it down that path and the next thing you know, a couple of other ideas join in and you've got a theme, a tone, a style and you're doing something completely different.

I love working with Zack (Snyder) - like the Scott brothers - he's a great visual artist. So while the conversation is going on, he's drawing the theme in front of your eyes on a napkin or piece of paper. And they're fearless. You go, "I've got this crazy idea about eight pedal guitars and 12 drummers" and they go, "Great! When can I hear it?" And in a funny way, it went from being absolutely, completely intimidated by the baggage of the John Williams tune to being completely liberating by thinking, 'What did he do? Lots of snare drums and trumpets, and it's a fanfare, a very objective thing', so if I start off by taking away some of those things from the palette and create my own, I'm already going to do something different. Our style is very different, of course. The movie is different, the story is being told differently.

It's still a little intimidating because it's a reinvention. But Sherlock Holmes was a reinvention, Batman was a reinvention, and now Man Of Steel is. Plus I'm on Lone Ranger, so doing Rush with Ron Howard was great recently because no-one had done that one before! I wasn't following anyone's footsteps. There's no comparison shopping going on.

It went from being absolutely, completely intimidated by the baggage of the John Williams tune to being completely liberating by thinking, 'What did he do? Lots of snare drums and trumpets, and it's a fanfare, a very objective thing'

Signature material right there!

"When I started", reflects Han Zimmer when Empire speaks to him, "what I did was called 'background music'." It definitely isn't called that anymore. In fact, from humble beginnings as a young wannabe pianist in Frankfurt and London, the German composer has practically redefined the grammar of movie music. His trademark Inception "Braaam" is now a tension-cranking lingua franca for movie trailers, although, as he points out with a grin, "it was in Chris [Nolan's] script." Fresh from his labours on Man Of Steel, the great scorer offered a fascinating, wide-ranging contribution to Empire's celebration of movie music.

That opening paragraph alone includes so many :o moments that I didn't bother to read on.

When did Hans Zimmer "start"? I don't know, but I bet film music was in a better state then than it is now. It's better to have great music that is not as highly regarded, than having empty music in every score that is talked about by the composer and the mainstream like it's a mixture between high mathematics and the second coming of Mozart.

And what's the matter with the term "scorer"? Did Clint Eastwood write that article?

Occasionally, I think it's either my sanity or Zimmer's that is deteriorating at a mindboggling speed.

Hans Zimmer saved film music!

Yeah, he saved us from such average and flat efforts like Raiders, Empire Strikes Back, Dance With The Wolves, Wrath Of Khan, and led us into the golden era with classics like Inception and Sherlock Holmes.

If you're looking at it from a commercial standpoint rather than purely an artistic one. Zimmer has kept film music alive in the public conscious more so than any other composer in the past 20 years.

If simplifying film music is the formula for maintaining public interest, will scores be nothing but a series of extended grunts in 10 years to excite the average YouTuber to declare it "brilliant"?

Zimmer and gang really entered into pop culture with POTC in 2003. It started with The Rock in 1996 but POTC is when it all came to a head.

Hans zimmer may have helped the film score CD market and sales, so it may help other composer's scores so they still sell CD at stores.

But without hans zimmer, films would still have soundtracks, from whatever the style (not just pop songs) even if they were commercially available or not.

will I become a honorary Zimmite if I purchase the soundtrack?

Sorry, I searched but couldn't find another thread devoted to just the Man of Steel score (zimmer). Maybe one should be created if there's not one? But Over the weekend, I found these:

1. 90 second previews of the score:

2. New "DTS Headphones X" technology debuts with Man of Steel score: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475529/dts-headphone-x-makes-debut-with-man-of-steel-score

3. Tech Journalist Scott Wilkonson who was at a special screening/display of the Man of Steel soundtrack with new DTS Headphones X Technology talks about the experience.

starts at 32:51.

I have to say I'm kind of excited about this movie and score. I generally like Zimmer, I like Nolan, and I'm interested to see how it relates (if at all) to the original JW classic. I also find this head phone technology very intriguing. If I can easily and robustly get 11.1 surround sound through the convenience of headphones, how sweet would that be.

Moved your post to the thread for the score. No idea how you weren't able to find it, it's right on Page 1, and also shows up if you search for Zimmer or Steel

Moved your post to the thread for the score. No idea how you weren't able to find it, it's right on Page 1, and also shows up if you search for Zimmer or Steel

Ah, thanks, I thought I remembered seeing a thread but couldn't find it. I went to the tag 'superman', wasn't there, figured a search for Zimmer would return tons of threads, and didn't think to search for "Steel", I also looked on the "Also tagged with..." section of the other thread, and didn't see it there. Not sure what 'page 1' is, but i didn't see it on the forum home page, either way thanks!

The first reviews are in:

This is destined to be a masterpiece.

I'm very curious to read reviews of respectable film music critics..

I know of none myself, other than Maurizio, and Miguel A., and a few others here.

Is this original score?

The theme, if you can call it that, sounds a bit like Chevaliers De Sangreal.

Everything "inspirational" from modern Zimmer sounds like a mundane, dull, watered down version of Chevaliers de Sangreal these days.

Thank god. I feared that drumkit would be actual score.

You know, the actual score features 12 drumkits right? :P

The excessive amount of percussion instruments can give some really interesting results. Like in the case of Christopher Gordon's Daybreakers where he, I think, had 36 different percussion tracks layered on top of each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSvlziMPnJg

An excellent score, I should add.

Karol