What post-2005 films do you wish Williams had scored?

Jay

Since 2005, the only films John Williams have scored have been those directed by Steven Spielberg (Indiana Jones 4, Tintin, War Horse, and Lincoln).

What OTHER films that have been released since then do you think Williams would have given an excellent score to?

Here are some pages that will help you refresh your memories of which movies have come out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_in_film

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_in_film

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_in_film

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_in_film

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_in_film

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_in_film

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_in_film

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_in_film

I think the Night At The Museum films would have given us some fun magical adventure music in line with the Harry Potters perhaps.

Speaking of Harry Potter, after he was unable to do for, I think if he returned for Harry Potter 5-8 (all directed by David Yates) it would have led to a fascinating series of scores from the maestro - not to mention his longest franchise (currently) at one film longer than Star Wars saga.

How about comic book movies? X-Men 3, Spider-man 3, Iron Man 1-3, Thor, Avengers, Superman Returns, Man Of Steel? I think Captain America by Williams would have been awesome!

The Transformers movies are shit, but he might have been inspired to write some awesome themes and a new era of action music.

Tintin was his first animated movie ever, but what if he scored a Pixar film first? Maybe Cars, Ratatouille, WALL-E or Up? How about a Dreamworks Animation film like Kung Fu Panda, Despicable Me or How To Train Your Dragon? A Disney film like Bolt, Tangled, or Wreck-It-Ralph?

How about flexing his dramatic muscles with There Will Be Blood, The Reader, Revoluationary Road, or Carnage?

A fantasy movie like The Golden Compass, Snow White and the Huntsman, The Mummy 3?

A Sci-Fi film like Source Code or Looper?

A horror film like Drag Me To Hell, Let Me In, Carrie?

Silly summer blockbusters like The A-Team, GI Joe, Prince of Persia?

Or how about something like Ridley Scott's Robin Hood, Watchmen, Moon, or Oblivion?

What if he started working with Nolan for Prestige and Inception?

Your thoughts?

The ones that come to my mind right now...

Rise of the Guardians - although Desplat did a wonderful job, it seemed perfect for Johnny.

The Tree of Life - I would have been really interested in hearing a Williams-Malick collaboration and what Johnny might have been able to bring to the table for this particular project.

The Princess and the Frog - We could have had Johnny in Dixieland mode! I would have loved that, although Randy did a nice job with some of the songs, but not so much with the score.

Gran Torino - This one (or Unforgiven, but it's from '92) would have been perfect for Johnny, considering it's one last hurrah for the man with no name.

Children of Men - I would have been very interested in Cuarón continuing his working relationship with Williams, I think this movie in particular would have offered something in the vein of WOTW, but probably more dramatically charged.

-The Queen

-The Nativity story (although its score was great, but i would love to hear Williams in a biblical tale)

-Atonement or Anna Karenina (although their scores were great, but I'd love to hear Williams in a period romantic drama)

-The Social Network (I would be curious to see what Williams would come up with for such kind of film)

-The Artist (I think he would really shine in this one and maybe get his 6th Oscar!)

-The Princess and the Frog (I didn't like the film much, but i couldn't find another 2d animation film, a genre that also I would love to see Williams in. there was the Secret of Kells too, but haven't seen that)

edit: Oh, yes, now that Michael mentions it, The Tree of Life would be interesting too, although I'm afraid we would have the first Williams rejected score!

Easy, it would be the Potter scores for me, especially Deathyly Hallows I and Deathly Hallows II. Think of all the musicical possibilities, using the family theme for the Snape pensieve scene, an evoluated Voldemort's Theme, maybe a Snape's Theme. The graveyard scene where Harry visits his parents' grave just neede the family theme. And imagine a JW version of the Gringotts sequence and Escape of the Dragon...:)

Great question!

Captain America or The Avengers sounds like a lot of fun. Although that makes me think of Jerry Goldsmith, he might have also provided a great score for those (Patton, Air Force one -esque).

Princess and the Frog and The Artist, those movies that have a very classic Americana feeling, wow, how wonderful those score could have been.

Up, and Wall-e, Cars, or even Toy Story. Such great movies, they could only be improved with a master like JW.

Tangled could have been great too, especially if he did the songs as well - that could have been very interesting.

Avatar I think could have actually been a better movie with a JW score.

The Batmans, and Inception really worked with Zimmer and his style, but still would be interesting to hear a JW score for them.

Wow Avatar, I didn't think of that one! Good call!

The Artist sounds Americana-y??

Avatar is a 5 star score. It didn't need Williams.

Perhaps UP, though MG's work is near perfect.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

John is all wrong for a film like Carrie, He would do fine but it's a film a younger composer can cut his teeth on, not sure Beltrami is a good fit, but we'll see.

Definitely would have loved an actual non-Spielberg horror score. I'd have to look at those lists later for a better example of a film since 2005, but imagine if he did something like Saw or some other extremely gory horror film? How would he go about it? Would it be Temple of Doom/Jurassic Park level of scares, or something we have never heard before? I saw Drag Me To Hell mentioned, but honestly I love that score too much to be done by anyone else. ;) Oh, Evil Dead! There we go! ;)

My ultimate what could have been fantasy is a LotR Williams.

Howard Shore did us proud. But man, John's action music would have been BEAST.

And Gandalf the Grey would have a pitch-perfect theme tune.

I want JW to score Hobbit 2, so he can score the reveal of the Lonely Mountain. (thought it has already been "revealed" in AUJ)something like Tintin's "Into The Desert" (but without the "Arabic" stylings of course)

I wish Spielberg was still directing Interstellar so we could hear that score.

First, second and third things that spring to mind are Harry Potter, Harry Potter and Harry Potter.

What a bunch of missed opportunities there!!

I wish Spielberg was still directing Interstellar so we could hear that score.

I wish Spielberg was doing that Moeses/10 commandments thing..

(although i love the Heston version so much, that I'm not sure if I would be able to accept a new version, probably drowned in CGI)

More so than Superman Returns?

I was reasonably satisfied with that score.

I too like Superman Returns' score. I thought Ottman did a fine job with it.

Edit: Avatar is definitely an interesting choice. Although I'm happy with what Horner came up with for the score but it would have been interesting to hear Williams' take on it.

Great question!

Captain America or The Avengers sounds like a lot of fun. Although that makes me think of Jerry Goldsmith, he might have also provided a great score for those (Patton, Air Force one -esque).

Princess and the Frog and The Artist, those movies that have a very classic Americana feeling, wow, how wonderful those score could have been.

Up, and Wall-e, Cars, or even Toy Story. Such great movies, they could only be improved with a master like JW.

Tangled could have been great too, especially if he did the songs as well - that could have been very interesting.

Avatar I think could have actually been a better movie with a JW score.

The Batmans, and Inception really worked with Zimmer and his style, but still would be interesting to hear a JW score for them.

am I the only one that liked Menken's score to Tangled?

Don't ask me why, but I think Williams would be a perfect composer for current Clint Eastwood movies. Films like Mystic River, Gran Torino, Million Dollar Baby and Hereafter would have inspired some great dramatic scores from JW, I guess.

Harry Potter, of course. That one just hurts to think about, though I like some of Hooper and Desplat's work. Particularly Desplat, every now and then he hits on a moving emotional beat or an especially muscular or idiosyncratic piece of orchestration that makes me feel similar to what I was hoping to get out of another Potter score from Williams. But man, what could have been :(

I also like the suggestion of The Artist, that would have been too fun.

Wall-e has a perfect score by Newman.

I would like to hear Williams' take of the Pan's Labyrinth.

We already have! ;)

2006 - Children of Men

2007 - Order of the Phoenix, Letters from Iwo Jima

2008 - Indiana Jones 4, W.

2009 - Half-Blood Prince, Invictus

2010 - Deathly Hallows I

2011 - Deathly Hallows II, The Adventures of Tintin, War Horse

2012 - Lincoln

Gravity, Jurassic Park IV, Robopocalypse, Star Wars: Episode VII, Inside Out, The Adventures of Tintin II, Star Wars: Episode VIII...

The laconic simplicity of Eastwood's work is deeply underrated and a perfect match for his pictures. Williams's extravagantly ornate style would be decidedly out of place.

The laconic simplicity of Eastwood's work is deeply underrated and a perfect match for his pictures. Williams's extravagantly ornate style would be decidedly out of place.

I do not agree. Boiling down Williams' style as something "extravagantly ornate" is a bit unfair. Listening to the quiet, deep sensibility he brought to films like The Accidental Tourist, Sleepers, Presumed Innocent, but also A.I. or the recent Lincoln it's clear he can be as subtle and laconic as it gets.

I think Eastwood's recent films would have benefited from Williams' low-key dramatic approach, much more than the four-note loops Eastwood himself "composed" for those.

I guess you haven't listened to The Accidental Tourist?

edit: oops, now I saw that Maurizio mentioned it. ;)

am I the only one that liked Menken's score to Tangled?

No No, I liked it a lot! There are some great moments in there. "It's my birthday", "Cavern Chase" come to mind first as some of my favorite ques. Not to mention the great songs. I just think it would be interesting to hear what JW could have done with a classic Disney fairy tale style movie like Tangled, Beauty and the Beast, etc. doing the score and songs. Most of the movies I mentioned I thought already have great scores, (Up, Wall-e, etc.) I just think would be interesting to hear what JW would have done.

Listening to the quiet, deep sensibility he brought to films like The Accidental Tourist, Sleepers, Presumed Innocent, but also A.I. or the recent Lincoln it's clear he can be as subtle and laconic as it gets.

I think Eastwood's recent films would have benefited from Williams' low-key dramatic approach, much more than the four-note loops Eastwood himself "composed" for those.

Well, i think ACCIDENTAL TOURIST is not any less boring than MYSTIC RIVER (or whatever Eastwood composed since finding his true destiny in crafts he never learned or mastered).

There is a tendency to pat JW on the back just because a given score is not sounding like STAR WARS, but apart from their beautiful main themes, is there really that much of musical interest in ACCIDENTAL TOURIST, STANLEY AND IRIS or STEPMOM? I at least don't see Williams as shining force in this area (compared with, say, North, Herrmann or even indeed Tom Newman).

There is a tendency to pat JW on the back just because a given score is not sounding like STAR WARS, but apart from their beautiful main themes, is there really that much of musical interest in ACCIDENTAL TOURIST, STANLEY AND IRIS or STEPMOM? I at least don't see Williams as shining force in this area (compared with, say, North, Herrmann or even indeed Tom Newman).

Um, no, not really.

Maybe those scores are less 'meaty' as stand-alone listening experiences than Star Wars, but they work really well in their primary function: serving the film and the drama. I know some people dismiss the more intimate side of Williams as something too saccharine, shamelessly sentimental or dramatically mishandled, but I think they're very balanced, delicate and dramatically pitch-perfect. Especially The Accidental Tourist is a masterful example of drama scoring

I admit I have a very deep personal attachment for this kind of wistful, quiet lyricism of JW. I find it very sincere and close to my own sensibility.

I know some people dismiss the more intimate side of Williams as something too saccharine, shamelessly sentimental or dramatically mishandled, but I think they're very balanced, delicate and dramatically pitch-perfect. Especially The Accidental Tourist is a masterful example of drama scoring

Neither shameless nor saccharine. It's just that when i listen to them, i often have the burning feeling Williams hasn't much to say musically beyond what he states in a few select tracks. Or, to pick this very example, there's not much happening in the underscore that warrants a release as stand-alone score.

I'd like PRINCE OF PERSIA with full Williams treatment.

Could've made for quite a nice score if he'd been allowed to do what he wanted.

But then Harry Gregson-Williams also could have written a much better score in the style of Sinbad if he had been allowed.

I dare say the whole Bruckheimer-effect was in full place here, disallowing the score to be written that should have been written regardless of composer.

But then Harry Gregson-Williams also could have written a much better score in the style of Sinbad if he had been allowed.

He was allowed for OSTRICH RACE.