American Sniper

filmmusic

That genre is not as popular with today's current generation in Japan as it used to be.

Emmerich's Gino actually did $200 + overseas. That coupled with the $135 domestic was enough to go ahead with the proposed sequel but Sony wisely pulled the plug. Adjusted for inflation the films total box office would be over $600 million.

However there were several issues with that film, it came over budget and I believe Sony demanded more of the box office from this film.

I think reviews were mixed in Japan.

Clint Eastwood is set to replace Spielberg on American Sniper. I'm so excited for the score Clint Eastwood will write (extreme sarcasm).

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/08/breaking-eastwood-to-replace-spielberg-on-american-sniper.html

It probably won't sound too different than what Williams would have done.

June is a bad time to release movies lately. There's just so much competition, that few make much after their initial release. I don't know the exact numbers, but I'd suspect the big money makers every year come from either a May or July release, where's there's not as much released every week.

Actually, most of the biggest summer movies this year came out in May and June -- Iron Man 3, Star Trek: Into Darkness, Man of Steel, Monsters University, and Fast & Furious 6. Man of Steel is the highest opening film in June with $116 million, so there's room for June films to break out.

I personally think Pacific Rim was doomed by mostly lackluster promotion (mostly generic trailers), not a lackluster release date. WB mostly had tremendous success since 2007 with a mid- to late-July tentpole release, and Pacific Rim broke that streak. WB still had a July winner with The Conjuring being a breakout hit, but it wasn't a big budget sequel or anything like that.

Clint Eastwood is set to replace Spielberg on American Sniper. I'm so excited for the score Clint Eastwood will write (extreme sarcasm).

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/08/breaking-eastwood-to-replace-spielberg-on-american-sniper.html

Clint Eastwood's approach and John WIlliams's approach would be miles apart. Clint Eastwood's music doesn't come close to even the most mundane Williams music.

Clint Eastwood's approach and John WIlliams's approach would be miles apart. Clint Eastwood's music doesn't come close to even the most mundane Williams music.

Eastwood should not write film music... ever. There are some directors who are good at it (Alejandro Amenabar for example), but Eastwood is NOT a good composer at all. He needs to let actual composers (or good musicians) score his movies.

His producer inherited most of his crew for Trouble With the Curve (cinematographer and editors), but luckily got Marco Beltrami to score it instead of the old fogey.

Indeed.

Eastwood should not write film music... ever. There are some directors who are good at it (Alejandro Amenabar for example), but Eastwood is NOT a good composer at all. He needs to let actual composers (or good musicians) score his movies.

His producer inherited most of his crew for Trouble With the Curve (cinematographer and editors), but luckily got Marco Beltrami to score it instead of the old fogey.

What snobbery. I'm not about to rush out to buy the cds, but I like Eastwood's musical contributions to his movies. His sparse style makes for a very specific sensibility which is always evident across all of his directorial efforts.

If anyone has earned the right to do whatever the hell he wants on his films, it's Clint Eastwood.

Regardless of whether or not you like his music, if the man wants to compose his music then that's what's going to happen.

What snobbery. I'm not about to rush out to buy the cds, but I like Eastwood's musical contributions to his movies. His sparse style makes for a very specific sensibility which is always evident across all of his directorial efforts.

I'd take Gustavo Santaolalla over Eastwood any day of the week. The latter's scores always leave a lot to be desired.

I don't mind either given the mood, but I'm not about to declare one has more of a right to dabble than the other because that would make me look a right arrogant fucker.

I wouldn't mind it nearly as much if Eastwood just came up with the theme he wanted, and let a composer incorporate it as he liked. Hearing the same piece seemingly over and over again has become annoying, which is a shame because I enjoy Eastwood's films quite a bit.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Until SS actually starts directing a film no one should be allowed to start a SS is directing thread.

The thread has been here for a year and a half...

So what. What I said has pretty much held true. SS might very well have a vagina because no man changes his mind more than he. And When was the last time someone created a SS is directing thread the was not speculative?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I thought Eastwood had a good chance of showing the shades of grey about people who kill people for a living, and how life post-war affects them when they return home. But he mainly glosses over it or avoids it entirely -- for one,

the real-life character Cooper's role is based on was killed by a fellow soldier with PTSD.

Bradley Cooper does a great job internalizing the character and fleshing him out (Sienna Miller is also good as his wife), Eastwood does a fine job handling the battle sequences... but for me, it doesn't really show the complex mental scars war leaves on surviving soldiers and families. It's a missed opportunity, and I don't know if Spielberg would've done that much better.

But judging from how this film is performing at the box office, people are eating this movie up.