American Sniper

filmmusic

As opposed to no standout track on the blockbuster called The Crystal Skull?

The unused latter part of "The Jungle Chase" is very good, I'd say.

it looks like this film is being rushed into production. Bradley Cooper as the unfortunate star. The real life drama of the fallen hero will give Williams a more broad canvas than some of you are giving him credit for.

Pieter, if you don't like the subject matter no one will make you watch it or listen to the score.

It's May 2013... the film won't start production until January/February 2014. That's if Spielberg loves this project enough to see it through.

And you say it's rushed? :music:

it looks like this film is being rushed into production. Bradley Cooper as the unfortunate star. The real life drama of the fallen hero will give Williams a more broad canvas than some of you are giving him credit for.

Pieter, if you don't like the subject matter no one will make you watch it or listen to the score.

It's May 2013... the film won't start production until January/February 2014. That's if Spielberg loves this project enough to see it through.

And you say it's rushed? :music:

I expect it to start shooting much sooner than that.

Basically, I want Williams to score blockbuster type films again

Any new score by Williams is still anticipated, but I'm tired of his historical drama thing because it leads typically with only a few standout cues on the album

+1. Williams has proven time and again he scores best on fairytales and adventure movies...they simply inpire him more.

• 2 months later...

Spielberg needs to do something that'll actually happen. Maybe he ought to crunch down and do a $30M-$45M film instead. Spielberg has tons of money in the bank, surely he could do more movies for scale (and get a nice backend payout).

I think David O'Russell will inherit this pic. He and Cooper did both Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle, and they seem to be a fruitful pairing.

Yeah, I was expecting this. The last we've heard from this project was a long time ago, and when a Spielberg project starts going real quiet, it means he's probably out...

Let's hope he chooses something interesting, I'm not very interested in that Thank You For Your Service pic, which was quite similar. I suspect he dropped American Sniper in favour of that one.

Like has happened before, he'll pick something quick and shoot it in typical super-Spielberg-velocity. If Scorsese wasn't doing it, I'd love him to tackle that Sinatra biopic Marty has been writing for so long. Or something really different, you know? He said he's worn out of the action genre, but I've got a feeling he's exhausted what he can do with war movies too. Something really gritty -but still fun- in the vein of Duel and Jaws would be most welcome, a musical or heck, even a western. I'd love him to tackle his own massive-bugdet western.

He should turn his Napoleon mini series into a feature. A John Williams Napoleon score...just the thought

Enough of the dead historical figure scores.

I'll be hoping for a musical. But more than anything I just want something so we don't need ot wait until Star Wars for a new JW score.

Maybe he'll use that time to score another movie or make the Star Wars score better. He had all year to work on ESB and ROTJ and most of 1999 to work on TPM. Not sure if that really makes that much of a difference but at least his schedule won't be as dense as it was in 2002 and 2005.

An interesting idea, though he wrote the original magnum opus in a year dense with Close Encounters and that football movie nobody watched. And that first Star Wars score wasn't half bad for it.

Williams doesn't have a lot of experience scoring really bad movies. Most Spielberg films weren't duds, and those by others were decent. But Crystal Skull was such a stinker, Williams was in uncharted waters, and his score was similarly uninspired, aside from the cut and paste parts. No, Crystal Skull needed a Jerry Goldsmith to elevate the score into crazy good levels, relatively speaking.

I wanted to see Harvey, not for the movie but for the score. A middle-aged man whose best friend is an imaginary giant rabbit? That can only lead to some good crazy music, IMO.

Alex

OK Steven, time to find something worthy for JW to score!

PLEASE, a romantic period drama!!!!

JW hasn't scored ANYTHING in this genre, except for the TV film Jane Eyre.

(well, and maybe Memoirs of a Geisha, but that has Eastern flavor. I meant a western costume drama, eg. like The Age of Innocence)

But i doubt Spielberg would direct something like this! :biglaugh:

I wish JJ Abrams would emulate this move of his idol, and quit Star Wars.

The lens flares will rule the galaxy far far away!

How's the progress on the Gershwin biopic?

I dont want JW to go in that direction!

Just the same day that we have learned about John Williams' new project, Dreamworks has announced that they are no longer attached to the project, and that includes director Steven Spielberg.

Source

You're already getting a new Star Wars trilogy. I for one would love to see him tackle a Napoleon biopic. And contrary to figures like Lincoln, Napoleon is not so prone to a reverential aproach and you simply cannot make a movie about Napoleon without battle scenes. And he's such a fascinating and complex figure. Nixon is one of my absolute favorite scores, so you know where I'm coming from

You're already getting a new Star Wars trilogy. I for one would love to see him tackle a Napoleon biopic. And contrary to figures like Lincoln, Napoleon is not so prone to a reverential aproach and you simply cannot make a movie about Napoleon without battle scenes. And he's such a fascinating and complex figure. Nixon is one of my absolute favorite scores, so you know where I'm coming from

I know exactly where you're coming from. I'd love to hear another operatic score from Williams.

Maybe Spielberg could take some inspiration from that direction, too—Anthony Hopkins with buck teeth whining in a French accent ("I am zat sacreefice"). They could use the technology from Jackson's Middle Earth pictures to make him short.

- Uni