The best and worst film that Williams has scored!

filmmusic

Ok, i got this idea from a similar thread at FSM about Goldsmith's worst film (not film score).

According to imdb ratings (see here at his composer credits list):

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002354/filmorate

Daddy-O is the worst film Williams has scored (with a rating of 2.30, followed by Heartbeeps with a rating of 4.25)

Schindler's List is the best (with a rating of 8.90, followed by Star Wars and Empire Strikes back with a rating of 8.80)

Just thought that it would be interesting to point out. :)

I've only seen 30-50 films Williams has scored, and none of them I would consider bad movies. I'm sure when I one day begin my quest to see all 100+ films he's scored, I'll have to sit through some stinkers.

MONSIGNOR and HEARTBEEPS were chores to sit through, they were just misbegotten films, but i found the more polished STEPMOM and THE PATRIOT to be equally terrible.

Best film for me would be SCHINDLER'S LIST or JURASSIC PARK -- for different reasons.

Worst film? Well, there are quite a few. I think I would have to choose JOHN GOLDFARB, PLEASE COME HOME (which also sports Williams' worst score). As bad as DADDY-O and HEARTBEEPS are, I think that one is worse.

Raiders of the Lost Ark has NOT been nominated for Best Film here yet? Shame on you people! Indiana Jones all the way!!! :D

Worst Film: Wouldn't know. I've hardly seen all films scores by John Williams.

best film he's ever scored....... hm.. don't know if anyone will back me up here, but

HOOK

Remember, we're talking about best film. Not film score! ;)

So, having this in mind , you still believe that Hook is a better film than Schindler's List, or Star Wars, or Empire Strikes back, or E.T.,or Jaws or....?

Close Encounters of the Third Kind is my favorite that he's scored. Looking at his filmography, out of only around 45 seen, I don't have any particular affinity for most of them. Runner-ups for me would be probably a half dozen more of Spielberg's, plus Images, JFK, Born on the Fourth of July, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and the first two Star Wars.

Worst...I haven't seen the ones that are supposedly truly awful, but I didn't think much of The Witches of Eastwick, The Cowboys, 1941, Always, or The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

Unless you are a Williams completist (meaning you don't only have to own everything he's done, but also SEE everything), I recommend staying clear of DADDY-O, BECAUSE THEY'RE YOUNG, I PASSED FOR WHITE, BACHELOR FLAT, DIAMOND HEAD, GIDGET GOES TO ROME, JOHN GOLDFARB, FITZWILLY, DADDY'S GONE A-HUNTING, THE SCREAMING WOMAN, EARTHQUAKE, 1941, HEARTBEEPS and SPACECAMP. Most of the other films have some form of value, IMO, ranging from pure comedy cheese to high art.

The only film I haven't seen is STORIA DI UNA DONNA, but from I've heard, that's nothing to write home about either.

Oh come on, 1941 is certainly worth seeing at least once

Sure, especially if you're a Spielberg fan. But be sure to bring earplugs! I think it's the noisiest film I've ever seen.

Actually, come to think of it, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is pretty darn bad.

Completely and utterly saved by the score, that film is. Because outside of the score, it is a complete and utter mess that goes out of its way to not make sense.

Definitely one of the most frustrating films I have ever seen. Especially since I do like the book so very much.

Actually, come to think of it, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is pretty darn bad.

Completely and utterly saved by the score, that film is. Because outside of the score, it is a complete and utter mess that goes out of its way to not make sense.

Definitely one of the most frustrating films I have ever seen. Especially since I do like the book so very much.

I think it's the next best film of the saga after ORDER OF THE PHOENIX. In either case, it doesn't belong in a 'worst' category for Williams when there is so much other crap to choose from.

I know there are many people who claim that it is the best of the Harry Potter films, but it bloody well isn't.

They cut out too much story so it ends up confusing for those who don't already know AND is the shortest in the series, meaning that easily some of the missing stuff could have fit.

The werewolf looks retarded AND by its own logic, Hermione is a werewolf due to a line of hers that really didn't need to be there.

The boggart scene when it is Harry's turn also makes zero sense as Lupin stops Harry from fighting the boggart AFTER seeing that it did NOT turn into Voldemort.

And I can't say I'm fond of the flying dementors either. I can go on.

They may be small things, but seriously: Why, why, WHY??? It would have been ridiculously easy to do those things RIGHT!

For me, the worst types of films are those that have EVERY chance of being positively brilliant.

But where there are so many stupid things and stupid choices that clearly they did NOT end up being positively brilliant.

Indiana Jones 4 would be another example. It's not necessarily bad, but it's just soooo much less good than it could and should have been that it is a massive disappointment.

by its own logic, Hermione is a werewolf due to a line of hers that really didn't need to be there.

Explain?

Explain?

Hermione: "A werewolf only answers to the call of its own kind."

Hermione: *Imitates the sound of a werewolf*

Werewolf: *Responds*

That line was NOT in the book. WHY was it in the film? I really haven't the foggiest. It had no need to be there whatsoever. :blink:

Unless you are a Williams completist (meaning you don't only have to own everything he's done, but also SEE everything), I recommend staying clear of DADDY-O, BECAUSE THEY'RE YOUNG, I PASSED FOR WHITE, BACHELOR FLAT, DIAMOND HEAD, GIDGET GOES TO ROME, JOHN GOLDFARB, FITZWILLY, DADDY'S GONE A-HUNTING, THE SCREAMING WOMAN, EARTHQUAKE, 1941, HEARTBEEPS and SPACECAMP. Most of the other films have some form of value, IMO, ranging from pure comedy cheese to high art.

The only film I haven't seen is STORIA DI UNA DONNA, but from I've heard, that's nothing to write home about either.

I loooooove SPACECAMP, and I liked Diamond Head too.

I agree about 1941, it's one of the few Spielberg films (or perhaps the only one), that I can't stand..

I know there are many people who claim that it is the best of the Harry Potter films, but it bloody well isn't.

They cut out too much story so it ends up confusing for those who don't already know AND is the shortest in the series, meaning that easily some of the missing stuff could have fit.

The werewolf looks retarded AND by its own logic, Hermione is a werewolf due to a line of hers that really didn't need to be there.

The boggart scene when it is Harry's turn also makes zero sense as Lupin stops Harry from fighting the boggart AFTER seeing that it did NOT turn into Voldemort.

And I can't say I'm fond of the flying dementors either. I can go on.

They may be small things, but seriously: Why, why, WHY??? It would have been ridiculously easy to do those things RIGHT!

For me, the worst types of films are those that have EVERY chance of being positively brilliant.

But where there are so many stupid things and stupid choices that clearly they did NOT end up being positively brilliant.

Indiana Jones 4 would be another example. It's not necessarily bad, but it's just soooo much less good than it could and should have been that it is a massive disappointment.

It's not the best film, because it adapts the novel faithfully. It is the best film, because it WORKS as a film. I've never finished first novel (put it away after about 100 pages). But out of all films, this one feels the most natural.

And yeah, it has the best score as well.

Karol

It's not the best film, because it adapts the novel faithfully. It is the best film, because it WORKS as a film. I've never finished first novel (put it away after about 100 pages). But out of all films, this one feels the most natural.

I'm not asking it to adapt the novel faithfully, although I will not deny that would have been nice.

But none of my comments above relate to the adaptation of the novel, but purely to the film as itself.

Especially those boggart and Hermione/werewolf things are caused purely by how the film was put together.

How is that even remotely natural?

If it really WOULD work as a stand-alone film in the series, I would not be complaining about it at all.

It doesn't have to replicate the book. But it needs to make sense as part of the film series.

And even if it can't manage that, it still needs to make sense on its own merits. Which it doesn't.

Again, as with Indiana Jones 4, I'm not saying it is a completely bad film.

But it is TREMENDOUSLY frustrating to me, because it was so close to being quite brilliant,

but then missed the mark so badly on a few things that 10 years later, I still cannot believe it.

And it completely baffles my mind that so many people apparently are perfectly fine with that.

I just - don't - get - it. I wished I did. :eek:

best film he's ever scored....... hm.. don't know if anyone will back me up here, but

HOOK

worst... not sure..

I was thinking the worst film he's scored is Hook

the best is E.T.

and I'm talking film quality not film score quality.

Oh come on, 1941 is certainly worth seeing at least once

the film is a mess but it's so much fun at the same time.

HOOK

Remember, we're talking about best film. Not film score! ;)

So, having this in mind , you still believe that Hook is a better film than Schindler's List, or Star Wars, or Empire Strikes back, or E.T.,or Jaws or....?

I would say yes. Not that those films are bad, just that HOOK seems to have inspired Williams a great deal in terms of thematic Richness and beauty of the score that was composed for it. For me, Hook is still enjoyable. ( though they could use some more scenes with HOOK )

Has no one else seen Yes, Giorgio?

And i think the better question to ask is WHY he wrote the music for such horrible films.

I'm glad he did--"If We Were In Love" is probably my favorite JW song, and one of my favorite JW melodies

Has no one else seen Yes, Giorgio?

And i think the better question to ask is WHY he wrote the music for such horrible films.

Yes, I have. It's a forgettable movie, but it's a masterpiece compared to some of the other ones I mentioned earlier. I don't really count it as a Williams-scored movie, though.

Attack of the Clones.

I haven't seen it all, but what I have was just awful.

I'm not the biggest fan of PoA either - the screenplay for me has a lot of problems, mostly to do with things not being explained for those who haven't read the books.

For one, I feel there's a major confusion in the shrieking shack scene - Lupin's words make it sound like they're going to kill Harry very casually, but they're actually referring to Pettigrew... but this is before the audience knows about the rat. It confused the hell out of me, and I knew the story!

Also, no mention is made of how Lupin knows what the map is. We're just left to assume he 'somehow' knows about it. Book explains everything... what happened there?

For one, I feel there's a major confusion in the shrieking shack scene - Lupin's words make it sound like they're going to kill Harry very casually, but they're actually referring to Pettigrew... but this is before the audience knows about the rat. It confused the hell out of me, and I knew the story!

That's definitely intentional, meant to make the audience think Lupin is evil for a second. I'm pretty sure that even happened in the book.

Worst film? The Phantom Menace maybe? I'd take AotC over the first one.

That, and I haven't quite seen some of his stinkers like Heartbeeps or Daddy-O.

Best film? I might go with Schindler's List.

I've never seen Heartbeeps

And didn't The Fury suck too?

Also Midway, Missouri Breaks, Jaws 2 and Family Plot aren't renowned for their greatness

Also Midway, Missouri Breaks, Jaws 2 and Family Plot aren't renowned for their greatness

Well, most movies are fair at best. I never understood how a dumb-but-solid spectacle like JAWS 2 could produce such vitriolic response. It seems like laughing at an illiterate for not being able to decipher a receipt.

THE FURY isn't very good overall, but it has some marvelous sequences that show De Palma at his best.

MIDWAY was rather meandering, but still has the value of being an epic war movie.

I dig MISSOURI BREAKS, acually; if only to see two of my favourite actors up against each other.

JAWS 2 is actually a pretty decent thriller, although a far cry from the first film, obviously. It is from JAWS 3D onwards, it gets really bad.

FAMILY PLOT is rather bad, yes, but it's still Hitchcock, so there will always be one or two good things going on.

All of those films fall into the category that have at least something going for them and could be worth seeing for those.

I've seen some mentions of Jaws 2.

I don't know, but am I the only one that thinks it's better than Jaws?

Of course I have to see both films again, it's a long time since I last saw them..

But I remember being bored a bit in Jaws..

It was an absolute chore to sit through HEARTBEEPS, although the score does elicit some interest. His "Crimebuster Theme" is a very close cousin to "Setting the Trap" from HOME ALONE.

The best film he's scored IMO is probably a tie between EMPIRE STRIKES BACK & E.T.

It's kind of difficult to determine the quality of the film apart from the score because his contribution cannot be retracted from the picture easily. I cannot say whether or not JAWS, for example, would be a great film without JW's collaboration. Without his work, would STAR WARS still be a phenomenon or would it be reduced to just a trendy novelty of the late '70's? That might be up to debate for some, but I know my answer.

Mr. K

burn-the-witch-monty-python.jpg

Haha!!

Ok, I got it! I am the only one!

I think the scenes i got a bit bored were all the preparatory scenes when they went out to sea to find the shark. Don't know..

I have to watch the film again..

And i was more in the edge of my seat in jaws 2 with the kids..

I didn't care what will happen to Richard Dreyfuss and the captain in the first movie, but i surely cared for those kids in the second!

Haha!!

I think the scenes i got a bit bored were all the preparatory scenes when they went out to sea to find the shark. Don't know..

I didn't care what will happen to Richard Dreyfuss and the captain in the first movie, but i surely cared for those kids in the second!

But why? Do you think the kids from Jaws 2 were better developed characters than the ones from Jaws? Perhaps their acting was better? IMO, the only truly good thing that came out of Jaws 2 is the CD so I'm trying to understand this. I mean, I don't even remember the kids from Jaws 2. Blimey, I don't even remember the film. Maybe you think Spielberg's direction is horrible because he doesn't make you care? It might be next to impossible but let's try to get to the bottom of this.

Funnily enough Jaws 2 was my favourite one when I was a kid. Probably because the cast was almost entirely made up of them. Something about being on my level, perhaps. It's of course no match for the original, but that's not to say it wasn't pretty effective in its own right. It's not what I consider to be a bad film, not at all. But then again maybe it was just John Williams who lent it a sense of being better than it really was.

Haha!!

But why? Do you think the kids from Jaws 2 were better developed characters than the ones from Jaws? Perhaps their acting was better? IMO, the only truly good thing that came out of Jaws 2 is the CD so I'm trying to understand this. I mean, I don't even remember the kids from Jaws 2. Blimey, I don't even remember the film. Maybe you think Spielberg's direction is horrible because he doesn't make you care? It might be next to impossible but let's try to get to the bottom of this.

:D

When I'll watch the 2 films again, I'll come back with my opinion..

Now it's been 6-7 years since I last watched them, and I have watched them 2-3 times tops each one totally..

So, I don't know them like the palm of my hand like eg E.T., or Raiders..

the thing I can think of right now concerning this, is that childern are more helpless in my mind, in comparison with grown-ups who know what they're doing..