Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

I DO hear a little of what Doug was talking about concerning the change in orchestras being apparent to discerning ears, though to be fair, the quality of the stream isn't the best, so I will withhold full judgement until I can hear the score properly.

I DO hear a little of what Doug was talking about concerning the change in orchestras being apparent to discerning ears, though to be fair, the quality of the stream isn't the best, so I will withhold full judgement until I can hear the score properly.

Earlier on this thread the AUJ score was described as feeling 'closer' and less 'archaic' than the LOTR score, which I thought was a very good description…and again, judging by the super low quality :30 DOS clips, I am feeling that it may be even less 'archaic' and more processed than AUJ. Am I crazy? It sounded very different to me, even further than AUJ. No doubt that the composition is Shore's, that is extremely apparent, but the quality of the recording and atmosphere feels so much 'lighter' and 'closer'...

In my very limited musical vocabulary and ability to convey what I am thinking, if I could describe LOTR as having a 100 person orchestra, AUJ felt like maybe a 70 person orchestra, and DOS feels like 50.

Which cues have vocals do you guys think? Do we know anything about this? It is quite hard to judge from 30 sec samples but I love what I hear. Quite a few cues have great potential, I just hope there is some more vocal work.

I wondering when we'd hear something new about the score. Can't wait to listen to new music, anyone hear refraining from it all?

Like I did with AUJ, I'll be refraining from listening to clips/album streams until I get the CD (although I will gladly listen to the CD before I see the movie).

Earlier on this thread the AUJ score was described as feeling 'closer' and less 'archaic' than the LOTR score, which I thought was a very good description…and again, judging by the super low quality :30 DOS clips, I am feeling that it may be even less 'archaic' and more processed than AUJ. Am I crazy? It sounded very different to me, even further than AUJ. No doubt that the composition is Shore's, that is extremely apparent, but the quality of the recording and atmosphere feels so much 'lighter' and 'closer'...

In my very limited musical vocabulary and ability to convey what I am thinking, if I could describe LOTR as having a 100 person orchestra, AUJ felt like maybe a 70 person orchestra, and DOS feels like 50.

It's probably just that none of these samples feature the music really "opening up" with the full ensemble.

It's probably just that none of these samples feature the music really "opening up" with the full ensemble.

I hope so!

It all sounds really good to my ears.

But where is Shore's trademark gorgeous vocal writing? Except the final sample there is nothing else yet...

Karol

I think we have to be patient. I haven't heard a lot of the themes that I've been expecting in this score yet in these samples either. Most of them are based on filler/suspense/dialogue material. I remember hearing some really nice vocal stuff in the production video.

I'm guessing they were careful about the 30 seconds so as not to give us anything too spectacular. Ending 'In the Shadow of the Mountain' there is again just cruel, it's clearly building up to something special.

I think and hope they carefully selected the 30 preview clips to leave out some of the best and potentially surprising music for the cd and film.

No. I'm sure these are the best bits and all the rest is just random underscore...

There seems to be more of a hint of Jean Sibelius in these tracks than we've heard in Shore's music to date. A reflection of the Northern clime, perhaps? :)

It's clear to me just from listening that all these samples are the opening 30 seconds of each track

I don't think so. I'll have to check again.

By the way, the theme from "Beyond the Forest" seems to be a reprise of the same theme that just started to play at the end of the "Kingsfoil" sample. I wonder what that theme is for. It sounds beautiful.

Also, I don't think its Bard's main theme but there is what sounds like a recurring secondary motif for him. It appeared in the production video too.

I've spent the last two weeks checking the internet approximately every three minutes to see if these samples were out yet. I feel quite relieved now that I can put that period behind me, and get on with the more serious business of checking the internet every three minutes to see if the entire score is online yet.

Oddly enough, parts of Quest for Erebor, particularly that last few seconds, remind me somewhat of some of the music heard in Bree during FOTR (especially the bits just prior to the Strider reveal). Which obviously makes sense if the film is beginning there.

By the way, the theme from "Beyond the Forest" seems to be a reprise of the same theme that just started to play at the end of the "Kingsfoil" sample. I wonder what that theme is for. It sounds beautiful.

Tauriel's theme, maybe (since she most likely appears in the Kingsfoil scene)?

If that's true, then forget all I've said about Tauriel. It's a good thing she's in the film then, cause this just might end up being my favourite theme in the new trilogy ;) I'm now a Tauriel fan!

I LOVE YOU TAURIEL!!!!!

If that's true, then forget all I've said about Tauriel. It's a good thing she's in the film then, cause this just might end up being my favourite theme in the new trilogy ;) I'm now a Tauriel fan!

I LOVE YOU TAURIEL!!!!!

It's a great theme already. God bless Tauriel! ;)

Karol

That first 11 seconds of 'A Spell of Concealment' is interesting. I was wondering if it might have something to do with Thrain, since it reminded me a little (just a little) of The Dwarf Lords.

I think that bit will be for when Gandalf is trying to open some secret passage into Dol Goldur.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson, for the sake of nostalgia, makes Gandalf forget the "password" again and just replay the Moria scene from FotR

I LOVE YOU TAURIEL!!!!!

It's a great theme already. God bless Tauriel! ;)

Karol

God bless Tauriel!

I'm gonna go hang up some Tauriel posters in my room now :)

I hope so!

After listening to the higher quality samples on WaterTower's website, I must agree with the sentiment that the orchestra doesn't sound as "large" or "open" as it does in the LOTR scores or even AUJ. Whether that is because of the differences in orchestration by Conrad Pope, or the difference in the orchestra itself, or perhaps a different mic setup (I know Doug said great care was taken to match the LOTR setup and sound during the AUJ recording process), or whatever it may be, but there is a difference. That's not necessarily a BAD thing, unless one is looking for continuity in the sound of the scores, which unfortunately, I am. :( Still, I'm looking forward to hearing the full soundtrack on CD and in context of the film, and I'm hopeful that the sound will grow on me.

Again, I don't think the difference is orchestra size. It's the recording. AUJ and DoS featured dry recordings compared to the VERY wet sound sound of LotR. And wet recordings usually makes everything so much bigger, as if playing in a concert hall. That's the reason LotR has that "archaic" sound, as people like to call it.